Brink - A new kind of FPS? Out now! First DLC FREE!

Saint Noir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Is anyone excited about this on the PS3 front? I have been keeping an eye on it and didn't realize it is out so soon (5/10/11). Developed by Splash Damage and published by Bethesda, it certainly looks interesting. One main concern would be player base on the PS3, hence me asking if anyone is planning to give it a spin.

Brink%20PS3%20Large.jpg

"Brink is an immersive first-person shooter that blends single-player, co-op, and multiplayer gameplay into one seamless experience, allowing you to develop your character whether playing alone, with your friends, or against others online. You decide the combat role you want to assume in the world of Brink as you fight to save yourself and mankind’s last refuge. Brink offers a compelling mix of dynamic battlefields, extensive customization options, and an innovative control system that will keep you coming back for more."

I don't know if there will be a demo, but if the game is good, they should definitely put one out.

Newest (I think) trailer below. I think it looks neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fq17MYdaJg

Preorder bonuses from each retailer...

The DOOM Pack, available when you pre-order through GameStop, contains:
• Unique “Hellspawn” body tattoo
• Exclusive UAC (Security) and Cacodemon (Resistance) customized skins for the Bulpdaun SMG
• Exclusive UAC Marine Body Armor (Security) and Lost Soul Screaming Skull (Resistance) t-shirts
• Exclusive UAC beanie cap (Security) and DOOM bandana (Resistance)

The Fallout Pack, available when you pre-order through Best Buy, contains:
• Unique Fallout Vault 101 body tattoo
• Exclusive Vault 101 (Security) and Fallout New Vegas Vault Boy (Resistance) customized skins for the CARB-9 SMG
• Exclusive Fallout Vault 101 (Security) and Fallout New Vegas Vault Boy (Resistance) t-shirts
• Exclusive Vault-Tec beanie cap (Security) and Fallout bandana (Resistance)

The Psycho Pack, when you pre-order through Amazon.com or Direct2Drive, contains:
• Exclusive weapon: the “Caesar” Revolver
• New attachments: The Resistance’s improved Soda Can Silencer and Security’s ArkTactical Silencer
• Exclusive Resistance “The Grin” Combat Mask
• Unique “Tortured Soul” body tattoo

The Spec Ops Pack, available when you pre-order through Walmart or Steam, contains:
• Exclusive weapon: the “Hockler” Machine-Pistol
• Exclusive “GreenEye” Combat Optical Scope
• Exclusive Security “Sloani” Combat Mask
• Unique Dogtag body tattoo

SWEET! "Bethesda Softworks, a ZeniMax Media company, today announced that its acclaimed first-person shooter, Brink, will be available one week EARLIER than originally scheduled. Brink will now first be available for purchase in North America on May 10th instead of May 17th, and in Europe on May 13th instead of May 20th."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brainberry']Game looks great.

In for 1 for sure.
yo should change the vid though since it freezes at .19[/QUOTE]

Cool. And done. Thanks for the heads up. :lol:

Brink has been on and off my radar pending better trailers, I do like what the systems that they have in mind and it's pretty close to being a great mixed bag of game mechanics. It really needs more press though, I barely heard anything in the past 3 months about it.

with my experience with kz3 being not so great, this has now become my most anticipated FPS. the mixture of mirrors edge like parkour is a great edition. im very excited (and have been for quite some time) for this game and i really REALLY hope it delivers.

Brink is exactly the kind of risks that FPS games need to take. Evolve the FPS standard beyond the the realms of it being an FPS.

Brink is on my radar, but if Socom 4 becomes SoCrack 4 for me, then I'm sorry Brink.

[quote name='j-cart']Brink is exactly the kind of risks that FPS games need to take. Evolve the FPS standard beyond the the realms of it being an FPS.

Brink is on my radar, but if Socom 4 becomes SoCrack 4 for me, then I'm sorry Brink.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I thought when I saw first few trailer/gameplay vids. Since then I lost interest somewhat, latest videos don't show much of an evolution which the genre could surely use. I'll still check it out, though. I hope it will be good, it has a lot of promise.

I started looking a bit more closely at this game yesterday. I feel like this is what Borderlands was meant to be, with customizable classes and (from what I can tell) a build-it-yourself gun engine.

I am excited for this game, just concerned about the user base. I may wait a week on this post launch and then make a decision. But it is the only shooter on my radar right now and will do my best to get some buddies involved.

[quote name='n1vek']I started looking a bit more closely at this game yesterday. I feel like this is what Borderlands was meant to be, with customizable classes and (from what I can tell) a build-it-yourself gun engine.

I am excited for this game, just concerned about the user base. I may wait a week on this post launch and then make a decision. But it is the only shooter on my radar right now and will do my best to get some buddies involved.[/QUOTE]
Funny, because I was thinking this looked exactly like Borderlands. I didnt read further into it though, just looked at the trailer.

[quote name='wrencrest']Funny, because I was thinking this looked exactly like Borderlands. I didnt read further into it though, just looked at the trailer.[/QUOTE]
Well it looks just like Borderlands, but in actuality, I feel that Borderlands didn't deliver on a lot of what was promised.

I played Borderlands on PC. The matchmaking system was terrible, and ultimately the gun "loot" engine didn't leave me with a feel that I was really accomplishing things. Most of all, the game was just too easy I suppose?

The fully customizable engine for both player appearance/design and weapon creation makes this an interesting looking title for me.

I'll wait for some additional previews and see what those who have actually touched the game think before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n1vek']Well it looks just like Borderlands, but in actuality, I feel that Borderlands didn't deliver on a lot of what was promised.

I played Borderlands on PC. The matchmaking system was terrible, and ultimately the gun "loot" engine didn't leave me with a feel that I was really accomplishing things. Most of all, the game was just too easy I suppose?[/QUOTE]

Borderlands is hella fun.

Just started playing and can't wait to dive in more.

Those are really nit-picky things - if you want a coop game get a coop game, for those of us who love awesome FPS RPG action Borderlands is a champ.

[quote name='camoor']Borderlands is hella fun.

Just started playing and can't wait to dive in more.

Those are really nit-picky things - if you want a coop game get a coop game, for those of us who love awesome FPS RPG action Borderlands is a champ.[/QUOTE]
I guess I was looking for a deeper experience concerning leveling and loot. It was fun, but honestly if you did all the quests, the game was much too easy.

I guess that every time I see a FPS with class modification, I hope it is the first coming of something (decent) similar to an FPS MMORPG. This game may not be it, but I have something to hope for.

And I agree with the TF2 comparison. I got those vibes as well, mostly due to the engineer,medic classes.

Not sure if I'll be picking this up for PS3 or PC, it'll likely come down to what kind of discounts/credits/promos there are and if it's steam activateable. Will definitely be giving it a try, though.

I also thought of borderlands when I saw this trailer. Looks interesting though. Love anything bethesda puts out so I might end up getting this.

Where there's FPS's, there's always gonna be campers. Whether it be across the map, or right in front of your spawn point. It'll only be a matter of time before someone exploits something in this game to ruin it for everyone. I'm just scared cuz it looks like this is going to be a very busy game. Hope they beta test the ish out of it.

I wasn't really paying attention to this until I recently heard it plays pretty similar to Enemy Territory, a game I sunk a good portion of my life into. After Quake Wars was a bit of a disappointment and now that the old ET servers are pretty dead, my fingers are crossed this will carry on the legacy.

I've been looking forward to this game for awhile, this and possible Deus Ex are the only FPS's I'm dealing with from now on.

[quote name='Ashtaar']OMG! I am tripping right now they're going to hold an event right here in Boston!!! I'm definitely going they're going to have 8-8 set ups and everything, we can also get free swag! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!
I'll be sure to post impressions afterward
Edit: got so excited forgot to post the link
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/03/09/boston-brink-community-event-friday-8pm-be-there/[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Definitely report back!

Okay so my impressions: I watched for like an hour than got a chance to play for like 20 min [SMH] but overall the game was fun, I played as a soldier bc no one else on the team was one, I got to hand out ammo to teammates which was cool. It's interesting when you buff your teammates you are magnetized towards them... it was weird.
The SMART system was pretty cool, I noticed not many people were taking full advantage of it though. I was jumping over raillings and busting my gun with ease. most people however were playing it like it was COD which wasn't the best idea. Another underutilized mechanic was the slide, I was watching this one guy rock out using it, he was a medic and he was healing, killing, and sliding his way to glory. I myself didn't use it as much as I should have because I was just getting used to the controls.
As far as killing opponents are pretty hard to put down you have to really gun on 'em it's nowhere near the insta-death of COD, alot closer to halo style empty a clip into opponents.
I hadn't noticed on the preview, but there's an always present enemy tracker/radar thing, I don't think it was motion sensitive but it makes camping pretty hard.
As a soldier my perks were molotov cocktail and some other sort of grenade, it's true what they say in the videos the grenades aren't insta death, I cracked a dude in the head with one and he got knocked down and I shot him in the head to kill him.
The grenades have an interesting mechanic instead of a set amount they have a cool down period where you can't through them.
Also it probably goes without saying but the objectives are pretty diverse, and aren't just like one game type. I don't know for sure but I doubt there'll be like tradition TDM, CTF etc. In the games I watch and was playing the objectives included: Helping/Stopping a prisoner from getting across the stage, getting a pass code and delivering, and some other stuff I don't remember.
I heard someone complaining about the recoil and saying it was borderline unplayable, disagreed, the main AR had little recoil but the 2nd weapon had a ton of recoil but I feel like it's a weapon to be used in close proximity.
Overall: I came into the event with SKY HIGH expectation and they were almost met, I feel like the game would have reached those expectations if I was able to communicate with my team (we had headphones and mics but i don't know if they were working no one was talking on them) I still feel like this is the future of FPS's and it's still a first day cop for me.
Anything else just ask I probably forgot to put some stuff and I'm too lazy to read back over this lol

I am on the fence about this game. Don't get me wrong it looks great, but I fear this will become one of those it's not call of duty so I wont buy it type of games and watch it instantly fail.

If it does have a strong online community, I will defiantly consider picking it up. I love the borderlands style to it.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']They were clearly going for a Borderlands, well, everything. I'll probably pass.[/QUOTE]

I don't get this. Besides the cell shaded graphics, it looks NOTHING like Borderlands in terms of play style. And this is built around online - co op (8 players) and a great versus. I really enjoyed Borderlands, but its online was largely busted (though still fun) and not at all competitive.

Might as well say this game is the next Jet Grind Radio.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']They were clearly going for a Borderlands, well, everything. I'll probably pass.[/QUOTE]

how is this anything like borderlands? seriously.

if anything it looks more like team fortress 2

Oh yes, this is a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory spiritual successor... too bad it'll just be 8 v. 8 though - stupid since Battlefield can do 12 v. 12 with destruction and bigger maps with vehicles.

the 12 vs 12 on BF works because of the bigger maps. i dont want a small map/corridors with that number and be an absolute clusterfuck of a fragfest. especially since there wont be many snipers.

That's true. Actually, now that I think about it 8 v. 8 sounds good as Wolfenstein was frustrating with a constant spinning door of enemies on the field stopping your mission to blow up or repair your objective in sheer numbers alone.

My only problem with Brink currently is the trend that firing from the hip is as accurate as firing ADS. I blame BC2 for starting this trend. Firing from the hip should be uptweaked for the parkour style but I just hate that automatically, firing from the hip just works all the time, 100% accuracy regardless of ADS.

Until I play it, I can't comment (on how it actually works). With the running style, as said, some fire from the hip and still being effective is needed. I do hope there is a bonus to those that do get the jump and can ADS.

But with people running and sliding all over the place, ADS may have limited uses in this one. :lol:

graphics look like borderlands and the gameplay is similar to quake wars

I'm definitely interested in this game, but I will wait until it drops in price from its $60 launch. Maybe even wait for a GOTY edition like I did with Borderlands.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about this game...I just hope there isn't some "rookie problem" with it like bad matchmaking/netcode. I played the Crysis 2 demo and thought the gameplay was average but the matchmaking was HORRENDOUS. On average, it took me 15 minutes just to find a match without getting some kind of error message...not the way I want to spend my night.

The studio behind Brink isn't the most experienced...they did Quake Wars and some multiplayer stuff for Doom 3 and Wolfenstein, but that's not really all that impressive.

I'm hoping there will be a demo out so that we can all give it a shot beforehand.

I would disagree. I would say these guys are pretty much MP pros and have focused on nothing but. They always seems to deliver a really fun MP experience.

bread's done
Back