CAGcast #229: Throw Wombat from the Train

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat goes hands on with Dragon Age II, delves deep into the history of Dead Island developer Techland, and rides a cursed railroad of death and evil.

[podcast]138[/podcast]
Download - 86 minutes, 52MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro - Armand Van Helden - NY, A Mix Odyssey

coming soon

Follow us on twitter
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Astrocade

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Cheapy lost that loving feeling for the show..... Take that ball and run with it Wombat. Getting kind of tired of Cheapy's negative attitude.

I was having a hard enough time deciding between watching a movie or playing games, and now this pops up and that decision becomes even more difficult.

Can't wait to listen, thanks!

[quote name='DarkZion']I was having a hard enough time deciding between watching a movie or playing games, and now this pops up and that decision becomes even more difficult.[/QUOTE]

Same here, such hard lives we live...

I went with "attempt to finally finish reading the book I've renewed from the Library 4 times" after watching the latest episode of Parenthood on Hulu.

Don't forget: You can listen to a podcast while playing some games.

A few ideas to get more people to listen:

• Have someone with different taste in games on the show
  • Dont waste 5 minutes (or seconds) talking about games nobody cares about
  • More in depth discussion on hot topics
  • More contests
  • Do a game of the month or game you should be playing this week segment

[quote name='ShockandAww']A few ideas to get more people to listen:

• Have someone with different taste in games on the show (No)
  • Dont waste 5 minutes (or seconds) talking about games nobody cares about (Double No)
  • More in depth discussion on hot topics (we do that already)
  • More contests (we more than any other show)
  • Do a game of the month or game you should be playing this week segment (not a bad idea, but won't get new listeners)
[/QUOTE]

see my notes above

Pretty sure that baldy locked up the Douchebag of the Year award on this week's show. First he makes fun of Shipwreck for going to a hibachi place for V-day then he looks down on American-style places as not being traditional (I could hear your eyes rolling, Cheapy), and finally he tells Ship that the guy serving him food could not possibly be Japanese as though Ship would have no way of knowing. Thank you Wombat for keeping things in perspective - those places may not be traditional but they are fun and can make for a nice date. Cheapy get off your Shaqfuing high horse you arrogant douchebag.

[quote name='dabates']Pretty sure that baldy locked up the Douchebag of the Year award on this week's show. First he makes fun of Shipwreck for going to a hibachi place for V-day then he looks down on American-style places as not being traditional (I could hear your eyes rolling, Cheapy), and finally he tells Ship that the guy serving him food could not possibly be Japanese as though Ship would have no way of knowing. Thank you Wombat for keeping things in perspective - those places may not be traditional but they are fun and can make for a nice date. Cheapy get off your Shaqfuing high horse you arrogant douchebag.[/QUOTE]

I kind of just take it as 3 guys who are pretty familiar and comfortable with one another busting each other's balls.

Wombat proves that video games don't desensitize players to violence or cause them to commit real life attrocities, they apparently don't even prepare them for the experience of seeing blood. Where's Fox News now?

Stacking is probably getting inflated reviews because Tim Schaffer has become a critical darling. Not only did he do a lot of personal appearances to push this game, the critics still want to reward him for past games they hold in such high regard that sold poorly. It's not an uncommon thing. Plus, it's a unique concept and thinking outside the box should always be applauded. I just wish Double Fine would team up with a company that has better success at implementing exciting gameplay.

Why doesn't Tecmo Koei come out with a DOA Warriors? Unarmed combat versus hordes of enemies. I'd love to see Ayane's spinning attack send dozens of identical enemies flying through the air.

And congratulations on Cheapy saying the show number correctly for the first time in probably 130 episodes! And yet people only complain about his pronunciation of "Mario".

I am not sure what it is, but the environments in stacking and previous double fine games always looks cheap. Can't put my finger on why, but i felt this way when i played psychonauts (perhaps the most over-rated game of all time) too.

- Example: the floors usually have little to no detail, and the walls appear have no texture. Almost as if the art is just pasted onto the playing field.

Wow, some person hated the CAGcast so much that he killed himself to delay the recording.

[quote name='LiK']Wow, some person hated the CAGcast so much that he killed himself to delay the recording.[/QUOTE]

Or he loved it so much that he wanted to give them a news story to talk about. I guess it depends on whether he was yelling "I can't take another fucking CAGCast!" or "It's all for you, Wombat!"

[quote name='Cao Cao']Or he loved it so much that he wanted to give them a news story to talk about. I guess it depends on whether he was yelling "I can't take another fucking CAGCast!" or "It's all for you, Wombat!"[/QUOTE]

+10 for the Omen Reference

[quote name='Rxanadu']What is this Kinect commercial they were talking about on the podcast? I've never seen it before.[/QUOTE]
yeah how about some linkage.

So, I might have missed the episode where you discussed this, but what is the groups take on DLC?

Let's look at three different types of DLC:

1. Extra game content/story -- (Dragon Age and Borderlands are good examples) -- General cost -- 15 dollars.

2. Extra multiplayer maps only -- (Halo games and Call of Duty Games) generally about 4-5 dollars per map, packs include 3-5 maps.

3. Extra...stuff: Example -- the new Marvel vs. Capcom game you mentioned DLC of extra characters for 5 dollars per character.

Do you think there's a point where DLC is being abused? My biggest fear is that DLC will lower the quality of games that are released as more of the industry will want to hold off on the good parts of their game to be added a month or two later as DLC.

Along that same vein, I heard that a few of the major publishers are looking into ways to "discourage" players from buying games used. One of the ideas revolves around each game having a code to allow you to play the multi-player version of the game. That way, people who buy the game used, will need to purchase a code to be able to play it online, but they'll still be able to play the single player version of the game. What are your thoughts on that and what do you think would be a fair price for that kind of code (if you consider it fair at all).

My biggest problem with the concept currently is that this means I couldn't loan a game to a friend and have them experience the online play which may be the best part unless they have a trial version. This could potentially hurt the game rental business as well.

I ask this understanding that the game industry feels that it's losing a major part of the market to the used game stores for people who don't want to pay the full price for the game new and they're trying to figure out how to recapture some of that revenue.

(yes this is my first post, woo! I found them through the ITUNES podcast. They're #1 for gaming news according to the ratings when I found them)

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the name of the Intro music for episode #227 is? Several people posting on that show thread have been asking for the song name to no avail. Cheapy listed it as "Super Duper Mario" in the ShowNotes but a good 30min of Googling and YouTubing yielded nothing for me. Also, I'm pretty sure I hear a Ludacris voice sample in there from the song 'Stand Up', but still, nothing! Help!

I kind of agree with GTmaster39. The guys just didn't seem to put much effort into the show this week. They bemoan the fact that they don't get more listeners but couldn't be bothered looking up any Microsoft or Nintendo news. Really? Really?

[quote name='banodyne']I kind of agree with GTmaster39. The guys just didn't seem to put much effort into the show this week. They bemoan the fact that they don't get more listeners but couldn't be bothered looking up any Microsoft or Nintendo news. Really? Really?[/QUOTE]

I frankly didn't have much time to play much or look up much for the show this week. When I did look though, there wasn't anything all that interesting.

[quote name='shipwreck']I frankly didn't have much time to play much or look up much for the show this week. When I did look though, there wasn't anything all that interesting.[/QUOTE]

People will listen to your podcast no matter how un-interesting the news may be. I enjoy you're guy's show. And coming from someone who listens to Smodcast and live.twit.tv, you could talk about pickles all day I wouldn't care! Not only that but what happened with your podcast Ship?

I really don't want to have to start listening to IGN's podcast or any other gaming site for that matter.

Just talk about stuff, there's plenty out there...... trust me a lot of people appreciate your show, I just wish Cheapy felt the same way.....but unfortunately he's "Lost the Eye of the Tiger"..... That kind of pissed me off, you built this empire Cheapy and now your sick of it. Kinda of saddens me.

This one's dedicated to you CheapyD. Chin up Buddy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0

I've got an idea to get more listeners - put Boatcrash in charge of the show for a few months to mix things up a bit.

And Wombat, when you you either don't know the answer, or get something wrong just admit it rather than some talking horseshit and then backing up claiming you knew the answer all along...it drives me Crazeee!

[quote name='shipwreck']I frankly didn't have much time to play much or look up much for the show this week. When I did look though, there wasn't anything all that interesting.[/QUOTE]

WTH is your 360 avatar wearing?!

"For the record" - I wasn't tattling on POP for using "Bread's Done!" . . . CJ was clearly giving a shout out to CAG, since they had mentioned CAG/Cheapy on that episode.

On that note, I suggest you guys start using "Hacker Alias" to identify online usernames. :)

Oh, Wombat, re: Dragon Age 2

Did you find out if it will still have NPC DLC Salesmen in the game?

I wasn't feeling DAO and when I hit that NPC DLC Salesman in my camp, I had had enough. Stopped playing. Thankfully I was able to trade it on CAG for ME2.

picture.php

[quote name='dabates']Pretty sure that baldy locked up the Douchebag of the Year award on this week's show. First he makes fun of Shipwreck for going to a hibachi place for V-day then he looks down on American-style places as not being traditional (I could hear your eyes rolling, Cheapy), and finally he tells Ship that the guy serving him food could not possibly be Japanese as though Ship would have no way of knowing. Thank you Wombat for keeping things in perspective - those places may not be traditional but they are fun and can make for a nice date. Cheapy get off your Shaqfuing high horse you arrogant douchebag.[/QUOTE]

well cmon man hes rich and living in japan he can just rent out a japanese family to cook for him on a whim why would he sully his name by going to generic hibachi ? i noticed though shipwreck invited cheapy to come to ohio to eat out with him but not wombat....................

Another suggestion for your show is a thumbs up and a thumbs down like some of the gaming magazines do. Like a whats hot whats not for the week.

Like the lack of 3DS launch games anyone cares about, or not being able to trade in used copies of DC Universe, Portal 2 for PS3 coming with free PC/Mac digital copies via Steam and being able to play cross platform...lots to talk about really.

And another suggestion is game announcements you could do right after the new releases. Just a mention and a sentence or 2 on upcoming stuff.

And I know there isnt a lot you could do to immediately bump up your audience but I think over time this kind of stuff would get you more listeners.

Man, what a lifeless, unmotivated episode. I hate to say it, but Cheapy sounds totally uninterested in doing the show. Is he depressed? Is he suffering a malaise? Somebody get this man some coffee. I think if he cared any less, he might cease to exist. It was all Wombat could do to drag things along. The cagcast is one of the highlights of my late-week commute, but I definitely wasn't feeling the love this time. If you don't want to do the show, maybe it's better to just cancel for a week, rather than showing up unprepared and indifferent.

Hey guys I'm kinda new here, but could you please, please, please! Tell the name of the song at the beginning of show number 228, it's bugging me that I can't get it out my head, but I can't find it to listen to it either, so please any information you can give is a big help thanks.

When Cheapy was showing his drug dealer the Hip Hop Gamer videos that was kinda funny. You bitches need to lighten up because you sound like a bunch of soccer moms with big asses.

[quote name='JuicemanJM']When Cheapy was showing his drug dealer the Hip Hop Gamer videos that was kinda funny. You bitches need to lighten up because you sound like a bunch of soccer moms with big asses.[/QUOTE]

No, you shut up. Bitch.

Hey Wombat I thought I recalled you saying DC Universe wouldn't make NPD for the PS3... well your sorta wrong.

10. DC Universe Online (PS3, PC) - Sony

Since it combines sales the PS3 obviously didn't do it itself, but still made it up there.

Good show as usual.

Though you were on the money with last years game making top NPD!
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) - Activision
2. Just Dance 2 (WII) - Ubisoft

bread's done
Back