Gamehuddle.com -- any thoughts or experience?

bugeeker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Has anyone tried out gamehuddle.com? It seems like a pretty cool concept: you rent games from other users, and they get a cut of the cash. So, you can both try out games from others, and theoretically make some money sharing your games.

I'm wondering if anyone has used them or tried them out and can share their experience. I'm hoping someone can vouch for it before I sign up.

Reminds me of trading to a friend that moves away within the next week and you never see your game again. I don't think I would be okay with sending my games around to strangers.

Well, I'm gullible enough to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes and if I ever see my beloved games again. I'm sharing/renting to them a bunch that I never really play myself these days anyway.

I was wondering the same too. Stumbled upon the site a few days ago. Figured I'd give it a try and rented a game on a virtual credit card number so I should be ok if the site isn't legit. Not sure how much I would trust sending my games in yet. I did not see a specific mention on their site of exactly how much percent they take when a game is rented. I like the idea of the site, so I'll give it a try for a bit and see how it goes.

Here's my update so far:

I entered 4 or 5 of my games on the site to share, and hit submit. I was a bit surprised that they then wanted to charge me $5.95 for the cost of shipping them my games. BUT, then they also credited my account with $5 to say "thank you" for sharing my games.
After completing that I remembered a few other games, and entered in another 3 or 4. I was charged again for $4.95 shipping, and was credited with a $5 thank you.
This leaves me with a $10.95 charge on my credit card, and $10 of credit with GameHuddle to rent games with. Not too bad. As long as I want to rent some games, I'm not really losing any money with shipping.

Lesson 1: Enter in all your games to share at once, not in separate transactions.

After a week or so I received my mailer. GameHuddle just wants the discs, and what I received is a big envelope with a bubble mailer inside and a sleeve for each of my discs. I was annoyed amused to see that though I'd submitted my games in two batches, and was charged twice for that shipping cost, they sent me all my game sleeves to be shipping in one consolidated order. Hmph. Like I said, though, I was already credited with thank-you rental credits about equal to what I paid in shipping.

I mailed off my games and in a few days GameHuddle listed that they got them all.

Total time from online submission to them receiving my games: 2 weeks

Now for the waiting game. They just got my games the other day so I haven't earned any money back yet, but I'll keep an eye on things. My guess is that popular games like Modern Warfare 2 will start to earn money faster than generic old games like Motorstorm.

I will be quite pleased if I can turn a bunch of games I no longer play into monthly cashflow!

Please share if you have experiences with renting or sharing your games through this site!

[quote name='newtype06']I've been curious to try this out. You don't need to 'share' your games in order to rent $1 per day right?[/QUOTE]

Correct. You can rent games without sharing, or you can share games without renting.

Update: The rental part of the service seems to work! I put in a request for Bulletstorm, which I assume is kind of in demand these days, and today I got the disc.

I ordered it on the 15th (afternoon), saw that it was shipped on the 16th, and just got it today (Monday the 21st). I think the weekend slowed things down a bit, since it was shipped to work and it may have arrived Saturday but I couldn't get it till today.

I see a pending charge of just $1 in my account. I hope to play the crap out of it over the next 2 days and ship back... c'mon, $2 rental!!

I am using the "free" $10 of rental credit in my account that I got for sharing my games initially.

There was a dvd-trading site like this some years ago but it eventually folded. Can't remember what the name was. Seems like an interesting idea. But what happens if someone scratches the hell out of your disc/destroys it/loses it/keeps it?

It is somewhat disconcerting that nowhere on the website does it seem to determine how much money you actually receive from the 99 cent/day that the "renter" is spending on your game - ie what percentage gamehuddle keeps. It says you can make "up to 10 dollars a month" off of a game, but that's it.

[quote name='savagepastry']It is somewhat disconcerting that nowhere on the website does it seem to determine how much money you actually receive from the 99 cent/day that the "renter" is spending on your game - ie what percentage gamehuddle keeps. It says you can make "up to 10 dollars a month" off of a game, but that's it.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention this becuase I emailed support asking about how much each game would make and they gave me a canned response. So i suggested they post that info because it's not a very attractive offer to PAY to ship MY games to strangers without even knowing if i'll recoup the shipping cost. They never emailed back.

[quote name='anthonyn']Funny you should mention this becuase I emailed support asking about how much each game would make and they gave me a canned response. So i suggested they post that info because it's not a very attractive offer to PAY to ship MY games to strangers without even knowing if i'll recoup the shipping cost. They never emailed back.[/QUOTE]

I got an email response as well.

Basically, all of the money they make in a month by renting out game X is divided among all of the people who have given them a copy of game X to rent out. I assume they take whatever chunk for themselves as well, though that wasn't mentioned.

So, if your copy of Fattie in Wonderland is out for 30 days and accrues, say, 15 dollars, getting beaten up by some kid who stores his game discs inside of peanut butter sandwiches, while my copy is sitting in their "warehouse" or the owner's basement or whatever, we would BOTH earn 7.50 (assuming we were the only two copies of F.I.W. that huddle had received).

That's seems pretty lame to me.

[quote name='savagepastry']There was a dvd-trading site like this some years ago but it eventually folded. Can't remember what the name was. Seems like an interesting idea. But what happens if someone scratches the hell out of your disc/destroys it/loses it/keeps it?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about scratches but if someone rents your game and loses it/destroys it/keeps it/ they're suppose to compensate you for the game.

I've only rented from there. Although they do not charge you for the days it takes to ship to YOU, they do charge you for the days shipping back to THEM. For instance, I rented Terminator Salvation (yes I know) and finished it n a day. I shipped it back to them the very next day. It took 3 days to get to me, I beat it and it took 3 business days to get back.

In total, I paid $5: $1 each day from the day I had it plus the 3 days in shipping back to them AND the Sunday.

I kind of wish they would not charge you for the days coming back to them. Haven't shipped any of my games to them, still a bit cautious in case they don't last and I'm out a game. I might give them a go for a few more games. They use mailers very similar to Gamefly but the pricing and 'pay as you go' model fits me a lot better.

[quote name='bugeeker']Update: The rental part of the service seems to work! I put in a request for Bulletstorm, which I assume is kind of in demand these days, and today I got the disc.

I ordered it on the 15th (afternoon), saw that it was shipped on the 16th, and just got it today (Monday the 21st). I think the weekend slowed things down a bit, since it was shipped to work and it may have arrived Saturday but I couldn't get it till today.

I see a pending charge of just $1 in my account. I hope to play the crap out of it over the next 2 days and ship back... c'mon, $2 rental!!

I am using the "free" $10 of rental credit in my account that I got for sharing my games initially.[/QUOTE]

I ended up keeping my rental for 8 days; got it one Monday, returned the following Monday. They just received it today, Thursday, which was 3 days after I mailed it to them. I had to pay for those 3 days of transit.

This is what they charged me: "rented for 15 days with a 4 day grace period = $7.40" In actuality, I only had the game in my hands for 8 days of that 15-day period.
______
Lesson 2: Plan to pay for 3 or 4 days more rental time than you actually have the game for

Lesson 3 (updated): Long term rentals work out better than short term; e.g., for a 2 day rental, you'll pay $5, since that is the flat fee to rent and covers up to 5 days (and 3 of those days will be shipping it back!)$4 (one day in your hands, 3 days of shipping back). But for a 15-day rental, you'll pay $10.20; that's 7-times longer for about 2 times the price.
______
If you just want to try out a random game every now and then, this is a good service (though Redbox rentals may be better, if available). If you want to constantly be renting games, then Blockbuster's plan looks the best to me (as low as $12 a month for 1 game at a time).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this forum for a few weeks now because it seems to be the most active regarding this website. Although I haven't rented or shared yet, I'm getting pretty close to giving it a shot. I figured every day I wait made it a bit better, just in case one of you found out something that to me would be an extreme negative.

bugeeker, thank you so much for keeping us up to date with everything you've experienced with this service. It seems that, for the most part, it's a pretty good service thus far based off of your experience. I have a little over 20 games for Xbox 360, so I think I've finally decided to give them a shot and send them in.

I'm a little confused as to why you feel blockbuster's plan is better if you just rented a game for free because of your free rental credits? You said that you shared games, so in theory, if they're earning you cash that you can use towards renting games, doesn't that in fact make this the cheapest service? You said you had $10 free rental credit, and that this rental cost you $10.20 for 15 days...so you actually got a 15 day rental for $0.20.

Also, was this your only experience renting with them? I wonder if the shipping times vary or remain pretty much consistent. I'm in a rather large city, so I don't worry too much that my rentals will be delayed all that much.

[quote name='auggie23']What games did you send in?[/QUOTE]

Bioshock 2
Earth Defense Force 2017
Assassins Creed
Brutal Legend
Pinball Hall of Fame the Williams Collection.

Hi everyone... I have been lurking at CAG for some time and this thread compelled me to create an account.

I also stumbled across this site a few months ago and it very much peaked my interest. I was a 2 disc member at GFly for over a year and cancelled in December of 2010 as I was frustrated by rarely getting any of the newer games at the top of my wish list without a significant wait (Months not weeks).

I think you all have done a pretty good job covering the rental and submission side of things as that has been my experience as well. I did have a few questions that I wanted to throw out to you and hopefully get some feedback.

1) Their site is pretty clear that once your account reaches $25 they will credit your PayPal account with cash if you request it. I am wondering if anyone has reached that threshold yet and if they had any problem getting the cash? (My account is currently at just over $13 so hopefully in May I will be able to report back on this).

2) Has anyone actually requested a game back from them? In their T&C of service they are pretty clear that you will get back a fully functional disk and if a renter damages a disk they will be charged the replacement cost to their credit card on file. I am just curious regarding your experience related to the process of getting disks back and if you were charged return shipping.

Also, a few tips if you are planning on sharing games.

• The more disks you combine in a shipment the better deal you are getting per unit you ship in. Example, I shipped in 8 disks and insured them. It worked out to $1.17 per disk. My test shipment the first month was only 4 disks and worked out to $1.24 per disk.
  • The maximum number of disks they will allow you to ship per bubble mailer is 10 disks.
  • I would suggest insuring your shipment when sending disks to GameHuddle. I could not find anything in their T&C on this topic but my guess is they will not cover the loss of your disks if they are lost or damaged in the process of you shipping to them.
Schade

[quote name='DoReiRei']Seems like this would cost alot more then gamefly or blockbuster and stuff.[/QUOTE]

Please explain your logic on this post?

In base cost for the 1 game plan across the 3 mailing services we are discussing it breaks down like this.

• GameFly - $15.95/mo
  • GameHuddle - $15.40/mo (Assuming you keep a game for an entire 31 day month)
  • BlockBuster - $11.99/mo
It seems to me that they are all pretty comparable in price and it breaks down to services to determine true value. I will stay away from which I prefer and why at this point but am curious how you came to your conclusion.

[quote name='Schade']Hi everyone... I have been lurking at CAG for some time and this thread compelled me to create an account.

I also stumbled across this site a few months ago and it very much peaked my interest. I was a 2 disc member at GFly for over a year and cancelled in December of 2010 as I was frustrated by rarely getting any of the newer games at the top of my wish list without a significant wait (Months not weeks).

I think you all have done a pretty good job covering the rental and submission side of things as that has been my experience as well. I did have a few questions that I wanted to throw out to you and hopefully get some feedback.

1) Their site is pretty clear that once your account reaches $25 they will credit your PayPal account with cash if you request it. I am wondering if anyone has reached that threshold yet and if they had any problem getting the cash? (My account is currently at just over $13 so hopefully in May I will be able to report back on this).

2) Has anyone actually requested a game back from them? In their T&C of service they are pretty clear that you will get back a fully functional disk and if a renter damages a disk they will be charged the replacement cost to their credit card on file. I am just curious regarding your experience related to the process of getting disks back and if you were charged return shipping.

Also, a few tips if you are planning on sharing games.

• The more disks you combine in a shipment the better deal you are getting per unit you ship in. Example, I shipped in 8 disks and insured them. It worked out to $1.17 per disk. My test shipment the first month was only 4 disks and worked out to $1.24 per disk.
  • The maximum number of disks they will allow you to ship per bubble mailer is 10 disks.
  • I would suggest insuring your shipment when sending disks to GameHuddle. I could not find anything in their T&C on this topic but my guess is they will not cover the loss of your disks if they are lost or damaged in the process of you shipping to them.
Schade[/QUOTE]
I've not yet asked for games back but I'm going to in a few days.No offence but your post sounds shilled.

[quote name='mrx001']I've not yet asked for games back but I'm going to in a few days...[/QUOTE]

Great, let us know if anything odd pops up.

[quote name='mrx001']...No offence but your post sounds shilled.[/QUOTE]

I do not have any more affiliation with them than you do as we both have games in their inventory and that is it. If not offense, then I am not sure what the point of this statement is.

I can say that the point of my post was genuinely to get feedback regarding my questions. My tips in this post on a site named Cheap Ass Gamer was to inform those who may be interested in submitting games that there are ways to maximize the process to their benefit while also protecting their assets (see $$$). These tips and data were not immediately available to me when considering the service.

You apparently chose to read my post with a bit more of a cynical perspective. That is certainly your right but please do not label me as a shill just because I am a new member and provided insight more than the standard internet FUD or, "This service roXXorz, make sure you rent my gamez! ".

So far I've shared 5 games and requested 1 back ,got it back without issue for free.My games are being rented out.Also,just sent out my first rental(Portal 2) played it for 2 days and took about 4 days to get to me,I live in California.

[quote name='myfack38']You don't need to 'share' your games in order to rent $1 per day right?[/QUOTE]

No.It's five dollars up front for the first five days and 40 cents after.

Well... I got paid today.

My total rentals exceeded the $25 minimum and a button to get paid appeared on the website when I logged in. I clicked it to initiate the transaction to my PayPal account last night. They sent me a confirmation e-mail indicating that they would send the money the next business day (today). The money arrived in my account this AM as promised.

One happy camper here.

My only outstanding question is regarding getting games back that you have sent in to them. Just curious how the experience was and if anyone has run into any problems (example: do they pay to ship it back to you or do you have to pay for that?).

The only big surprise I ran into so far was that you have to pay the shipping to get your games to them. They will send you the packaging but they charge your account for the shipping. Other than that, it all seems like a pretty good deal so far...

[quote name='Schade']Well... I got paid today.

My total rentals exceeded the $25 minimum and a button to get paid appeared on the website when I logged in. I clicked it to initiate the transaction to my PayPal account last night. They sent me a confirmation e-mail indicating that they would send the money the next business day (today). The money arrived in my account this AM as promised.

One happy camper here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming it's a clean process! I'm at the $20 mark myself so should be able to cash in after this month. I'm well on my way to being a happy camper, too!

[quote name='Schade']My only outstanding question is regarding getting games back that you have sent in to them. Just curious how the experience was and if anyone has run into any problems (example: do they pay to ship it back to you or do you have to pay for that?).

The only big surprise I ran into so far was that you have to pay the shipping to get your games to them. They will send you the packaging but they charge your account for the shipping. Other than that, it all seems like a pretty good deal so far...[/QUOTE]

I haven't requested any of my games back yet, since heck, they're the ones I never play! I'm quite glad they're making me money rather than collecting dust, though.

And I agree, big bummer to have to pay for your own shipping. Definitely ship as many discs at a time as you can, rather than 1 at a time.

Are people still being credited with a $5 "thank you" credit when you mail in your games? That balances out the costs quite happily, I think, but I haven't mailed games in for a while so not sure if they still do it.

Here is my earnings report, including which games made the money. I shipped off my games on March 1 and for a long time it looked like nothing was happening, but updates to earning come just once a month.

I was surprised at which games made the most money.

March: $7.74 earned
Assassin's Creed II PlayStation 3 $0.72
Brutal Legend PlayStation 3 $0.54
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PlayStation 3 $0.36
Full Auto 2: Battlelines PlayStation 3 $1.26
God of War Collection PlayStation 3 $1.08
Katamari Forever PlayStation 3 $1.62
MotorStorm PlayStation 3 $0.90
Soulcalibur IV PlayStation 3 $1.26

April: $10.80 earned
Assassin's Creed II PlayStation 3 $1.50
Brutal Legend PlayStation 3 $0.60
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PlayStation 3 $0.60
Full Auto 2: Battlelines PlayStation 3 $0.60
God of War Collection PlayStation 3 $1.50
Katamari Forever PlayStation 3 $2.40
MotorStorm PlayStation 3 $1.20
Soulcalibur IV PlayStation 3 $2.40

I love that Motorstorm has made me over $2 thus far. That game sells for like 5 bucks these days!

I am hoping for a continued uptrend in earning as (hopefully!) more and more people start renting from the site!

[quote name='bugeeker']...Are people still being credited with a $5 "thank you" credit when you mail in your games? That balances out the costs quite happily, I think, but I haven't mailed games in for a while so not sure if they still do it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can confirm that they are still providing that credit. Although I am not sure if there is a minimum quantity of games you have to send per shipment to get the credit.

I was holding off on sending in any more games until I was able to get paid. Since it went off without a hitch I requested a mailer today for 10 more games and they immediately credited me the $5.

[quote name='bugeeker']Here is my earnings report, including which games made the money. I shipped off my games on March 1 and for a long time it looked like nothing was happening, but updates to earning come just once a month.

I was surprised at which games made the most money.

March: $7.74 earned
Assassin's Creed II PlayStation 3 $0.72
Brutal Legend PlayStation 3 $0.54
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PlayStation 3 $0.36
Full Auto 2: Battlelines PlayStation 3 $1.26
God of War Collection PlayStation 3 $1.08
Katamari Forever PlayStation 3 $1.62
MotorStorm PlayStation 3 $0.90
Soulcalibur IV PlayStation 3 $1.26

April: $10.80 earned
Assassin's Creed II PlayStation 3 $1.50
Brutal Legend PlayStation 3 $0.60
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PlayStation 3 $0.60
Full Auto 2: Battlelines PlayStation 3 $0.60
God of War Collection PlayStation 3 $1.50
Katamari Forever PlayStation 3 $2.40
MotorStorm PlayStation 3 $1.20
Soulcalibur IV PlayStation 3 $2.40

I love that Motorstorm has made me over $2 thus far. That game sells for like 5 bucks these days!

I am hoping for a continued uptrend in earning as (hopefully!) more and more people start renting from the site![/QUOTE]

Might have to send in Motorstorm in myself.

I've been lurking this thread for the past month and decided to register to show my month earnings of April.

Borderlands PlayStation 3 $2.40
Call of Duty: Black Ops PlayStation 3 $7.80
Fallout: New Vegas PlayStation 3 $3.60
Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3 $0.90
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City PlayStation 3 $0.90
Infamous PlayStation 3 $0.60
LittleBigPlanet PlayStation 3 $0.60
LittleBigPlanet 2 PlayStation 3 $3.90
Madden NFL 10 PlayStation 3 $0.30
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PlayStation 3 $1.50
ModNation Racers PlayStation 3 $0.30
Red Dead Redemption PlayStation 3 $1.50
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare PlayStation 3 $1.50
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves PlayStation 3 $2.70

Total for April 2011 $28.50

Wonder if I could have gotten more for LBP2 and CoD:Blops if the PSN didnt go down.

[quote name='domthybomb']
I've been lurking this thread for the past month and decided to register to show my month earnings of April.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting! Always interesting to see what makes money and what doesn't. I'd have expected LBP 2 to do a bit better myself; I know that I want to rent/buy it at some point!

I'm going to send in another 5 or 6 games soon.

I've been playing with this site for a few weeks...made a couple of dollars so far from stuff that was just sitting on my shelf. I'll have to post a breakdown later, but it's been a good experience thus far.

I gave his site a lot of my games, including new releases, but I didn't get any money. It was totaly not worth it. Here is my total after an entire month and the $7.95 shipping.
Batman: Arkham Asylum PlayStation 3 $0.00
Brutal Legend PlayStation 3 $0.00
Bulletstorm PlayStation 3 $0.00
Burnout Paradise PlayStation 3 $0.00
Dark Sector PlayStation 3 $0.00
Dead Space PlayStation 3 $0.00
Fallout 3 PlayStation 3 $0.00
Fallout: New Vegas PlayStation 3 $0.00
Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3 $0.00
Rock Revolution PlayStation 3 $0.00
Shaun White Skateboarding PlayStation 3 $0.00
The Darkness PlayStation 3 $0.00
The Sly Collection PlayStation 3 $0.00
Unreal Tournament III PlayStation 3 $0.00
Wet PlayStation 3 $0.00
Worst Idea ever.

[quote name='Erockwald']I gave his site a lot of my games, including new releases, but I didn't get any money. It was totaly not worth it. Here is my total after an entire month and the $7.95 shipping.
Wet PlayStation 3 $0.00
Worst Idea ever.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. Do you other users have any explanation regarding this? This is the first post that has made me back away from the idea of using this service, haha.

[quote name='Erockwald']I gave his site a lot of my games, including new releases, but I didn't get any money. It was totaly not worth it. Here is my total after an entire month and the $7.95 shipping.
Wet PlayStation 3 $0.00
Worst Idea ever.[/QUOTE]
All PS3 games.:booty:No worries you can always request your games back for free.

[quote name='mrx001']Anyone know what the rental credits are for.You get them when you send in your games.[/QUOTE]

The credits are actual cash to offset your shipping costs as a "thank you" for sharing your games. My payout last month included this $5 credit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Ouch. Do you other users have any explanation regarding this? This is the first post that has made me back away from the idea of using this service, haha.[/QUOTE]

Well I am a bit curious what month this poster is referring to for expected payment. If it is May of this year (this month) then this makes sense as earnings are calculated after month end and the month has not ended. They credit your account by the 7th of the following month. Earnings are NOT calculated and posted to your account on a daily basis. All of this is in their terms of service on their website FYI.

If he is referring to April 2011 or earlier I could not say why this happened. I would suggest he contact their customer support if it was for earlier in the year as I have games on his list and was paid for them in April and earlier. Their payment model (as far as I and others on CAG have been able to piece together) essentially guarantees you get paid something (it may only be $0.20 for some games) for every game you share.

Without more information from the poster I would have to lean towards his post being FUD or a clerical error on the part of Gamehuddle which could probably be fixed with an e-mail to support.

[quote name='mrx001']Anyone know what the rental credits are for.You get them when you send in your games.[/QUOTE]

As far as I've seen, these credits are equivalent to your earnings (from sharing) on the site. Thus you can use the credits for renting, or you can actually withdraw as cash through Paypal once your account is $25 or more.

Not sure if their "Thank you" credit will extend forever, but as of now it's a pretty sweet deal, because they're essentially paying you back for most of your shipping costs.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Ouch. Do you other users have any explanation regarding this? This is the first post that has made me back away from the idea of using this service, haha.[/QUOTE]

This is simply a matter of not waiting long enough, since as another poster mentioned you only get credited once a month. No game I 've sent in, no matter how crappy, has earned me less than .30 a month.

When I first sent in my games, I waited what seemed like a long time and my account was stuck at $0 and I figured it was all a bust too. So then I went on vacation, then forgot about it, and then finally checked after 2 months and suddenly I had $20 in my account! So my best advice is, don't check it every day (like I still do even though I know better...) but try to forget about it for a month or two and come back and see what you've earned.

Please update when you see your credits come in!

Borderlands PlayStation 3 $1.86
Call of Duty: Black Ops PlayStation 3 $6.20
Fallout: New Vegas PlayStation 3 $3.10
Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3 $0.62
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City PlayStation 3 $0.62
Infamous PlayStation 3 $0.62
LittleBigPlanet PlayStation 3 $0.62
LittleBigPlanet 2PlayStation 3$3.41
Madden NFL 10 PlayStation 3 $0.31
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PlayStation 3 $1.24
ModNation Racers PlayStation 3 $0.31
Red Dead Redemption PlayStation 3 $1.24