Yakuza 4 - General Discussion - Out Now!

Supplice

CAGiversary!
yakuza4announcedforthew.jpg

Release Dates - 3/15/11 (US) & 3/18/11 (EU)

Set in a fully realized, authentic recreation of Tokyo's "Sin-City District" the deep and interweaving crime drama of Yakuza 4 unfolds through the eyes of four unique and dangerous characters. Playing as the legendary Kazuma Kiryu, the loan shark Akiyama, escaped convict Saejima or detective Tanimura, players will need to survive the dangers and temptations of the Japanese underworld.

Visit Hostess clubs, try karaoke, or experience the pachinko parlors and other adult entertainment, only found in Tokyo. Each character will take on different missions, allowing the player to interact with the city from their unique viewpoints and experience every taboo in the underground world of Tokyo. And, for the first time in the series, you can explore the spectacular backdrop of the city’s skyline in addition to the city’s intricate underground system and its rich and realistic backstreets.
Boxart

r2uuc6.jpg

"Yakuza 4 hits the US with free DLC packed in"
When the news about the Kuro and Shiro editions of Yakuza 4 hit the net, the questions began to fly. Was the US missing out on this content completely? Were those awesome unlockable costumes going to come with our version too? And what about all those extra post-game elements, like the survival mode, or the underground fighting arena?

Today we can confirm that all copies of Yakuza 4 in the US will come pre-packaged with these codes right inside the box. Specifically, this includes:

• Bonus costumes for Kazuma, Akiyama, Taiga, Tanimura, and Haruka
  • Survival Mode
  • Underground car park racing
  • The much-loved underground Fighting Arena
Like Yakuza 3, these codes will be one-time use, so you’ll want to make sure you’re buying a new copy of the game if you want to enjoy the bonuses. Consider it our little way of saying thank you to the many fans out there who are doing their part to help the Yakuza series succeed here in the west. (Hostess clubs included!)

Sega Blog America

Special Editions - "Kuro" & "Shiro" editions in Europe, "Ichiban Box" in Australia

5425419987_82e8343616.jpg

li7a3lhoriginal.jpg
As SOA mentioned last night there’s a special edition of Yakuza 4 coming out in the UK called the “Kuro” edition. Since everyone wants to know the lowdown on the various versions (I don’t blame you) and who gets what I thought I’d lay things out a bit. We’ve a few more countries than SOA has and things do differ depending upon where you are.

There are three versions here:

Standard Version: As you’d expect it to be…

Kuro (Black) Edition: A snazzy black steelbook version with a silver version of Kazuma’s famous tattoo over the top of it, this features new battle modes and four unlockable costumes – a similar line-up to those you received as a bonus with Yakuza 3.

Shiro (White) Edition: A white steelbook variation of the Kuro.

UK
Standard edition available at all good retailers.
The Kuro edition is available to pre-order from GAME.

FRANCE
The Kuro edition is available to pre-order – we’ll update you when we’ve got details of the specific retailer.

GERMANY
The Kuro edition is the only version coming out in this region.

SPAIN & ITALY
Only the standard edition is available – no steelbook – however your standard version will contain the bonus content found in the two special editions.

AUSTRALIA

Shiro: Available at JB Hi Fi and from GAME with different pre-order incentives. Pre-ordering from JB Hi Fi will get you a free copy of Yakuza 3, whilst doing so at a GAME store will get you and exclusive Yakuza 4 t-shirt.

Kuro: Available exclusively at EB Games. They have their own extra in the Ichiban (“Number One”) box. This can be acquired by pre-ordering the Kuro edition with EB and includes a hostess calendar (which I’ll be showing you more of soon), rice bowl and chopsticks, all packaged up in a noodle-style box.

Yakuza 4 Preview & Localizaiton

Originally Posted by Destructoid

Sega wants us to know that they're working to make the most complete, unfiltered Yakuza yet for western audiences. Yakuza 4 will include the hostess clubs in full.

In fact, every aspect of the Japanese game will make it over save for the trivia show game, as it focuses on Japanese pop culture, and would be too obscure to work in the western release.

Destructoid

Complete List of Yakuza 4 Edits

Opening Video - "Butterfly City" from Zebra changed to remix of "For Faith" from Hidenori Shoji

Minigame - Answer X Answer (removed)

Trailers

Yakuza 4 - Story Trailer:
Yakuza 4 - Battle Trailer:
Yakuza 4 - Hostess Trailer:
Yakuza 4 - Locations Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGG9E9SDHc&tracker=False&hd=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Destructoid posted a TGS article that also sums up the info revealed in the Famitsu scans. The biggest new feature is that there are now four playable characters. There are also a few side game additions: Pachinko Parlors, Karaoke Duets, Tennis, Bowling, Quiz show, Darts, dates to the Onsen, Ping-Pong). But back to the characters...

149767-hhh.jpg

(Bottom Row, From left-to-right)
Masayoshi Tanimura - A young cop, and his fighting style reflects this, as it seems to focus on submission holds.
Kazuma Kiryu - He's back. Uses his usual street-fighting style.
Shun Akiyama - The speedy one. Seems to use quick kicks to subdue opponents.
Taiga Saejima - The strong one. Besides hitting harder, he's apparently able to better wield heavy weapons like motorcycles.

Famitsu scans:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/0723ca49765227
http://www.imagebam.com/image/6d601c49765228
http://www.imagebam.com/image/b3a27349773415
http://www.imagebam.com/image/18cd8949773416
http://www.imagebam.com/image/efe0d149805113
http://www.imagebam.com/image/41152749770404
http://www.imagebam.com/image/63f90d49770223
http://www.imagebam.com/image/2be6ef49770225
http://www.imagebam.com/image/3cbd4249766914
http://www.imagebam.com/image/fe628049774857

After Yakuza 3 I'm sick of Kamurocho. No amount of weather effects or boring-looking roof/sewer action is going to make me want to spend another 100 hours there. Please, for the love of god there be another location. I don't care if its a deserted suburb in Gunma, just give us a break from Kamurocho.

...Or send us back to Gion. Kenzan was such a better game than Yakuza 3.

I sure hope this game even comes out in the US. I think the diehard fans got a little too upset about the cuts in part 3. I know it sucks but if we don't get 4 at all due to poor sales, all that bitching about mahjong is going to seem silly in my opinion.

[quote name='thedragon']I sure hope this game even comes out in the US. I think the diehard fans got a little too upset about the cuts in part 3. I know it sucks but if we don't get 4 at all due to poor sales, all that bitching about mahjong is going to seem silly in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that's what I told people. While some mini-games were cut, Yakuza 3 is still one of the best games this generation and shouldn't be missed. It's not like another publisher would pick it up since translating a Yakuza game isn't exactly cheap (a very high budget game).

Yeah you think people would have learned their lesson with Shenmue, these extremely Asian flavored games don't sell well in the US, if you try to rally the already small population of people willing to buy them to boycott a game or hate on it, you can kiss part 4 goodbye. Then we'll have all these online petitions begging for 4......peeps need to look at the big picture

tried the demo for it a while back it was ok and you get to hit a chick in the tits with a ping pong ball. that said it kinda just seems like more of the same only diff which i guess if youre a fan of the series is a good thing i just wish they would change the combat.

@lokizz

I didn't like the combat at first, but once I got used to it, I really liked it. I would like it if they didn't have to load before each fight though; I wish it would just go seamlessly right into the action.

I really really hope Yakuza 4 comes here, I'm ready for the next game now.

Yeah, I hate the loading. Just beat 1 and started 2, and the loading times with fights are much better. I was hoping in 3 they'd be seamless.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Sega should re-realese 1 & 2 on PS3 with HD graphic[/QUOTE]

how_about_no.jpg

It took too much bitching just to get 3 (and now 4) over here. We'll be lucky to get the PSP version, and we're never getting Kenzan.

So it is coming to the U.S. too? I will pick it up. I wouldn't mind the PSP version coming to the PSN network, if it is not possible for a UMD version to be released.

Regarding cuts, there are a few considerations that could work in Y4's favor:
1. Some of the cut content in Y3 has a closer relationship to the main plot of Y4. One of the playable characters, Akiyama, is the owner of a hostess bar, and thus, his major side quests involve managing the bar (Recruiting girls, dressing them up, solving their problems, etc.). Then again, considering some of the cuts in Y3, this point isn't as strong as the next one.

2. Time-wise, Y3's localization was, without a doubt, a rush-job, as it seems Sega decided to localize it at the "last minute" (Possibly around August) for a release at the end of the fiscal year. If they are showing Y4 at E3, then that means, assuming that they started it after finishing Y3 and also assuming a March 2011 release, they will have nearly a year to translate Y4.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Regarding cuts, there are a few considerations that could work in Y4's favor:
1. Some of the cut content in Y3 has a closer relationship to the main plot of Y4. One of the playable characters, Akiyama, is the owner of a hostess bar, and thus, his major side quests involve managing the bar (Recruiting girls, dressing them up, solving their problems, etc.). Then again, considering some of the cuts in Y3, this point isn't as strong as the next one.

2. Time-wise, Y3's localization was, without a doubt, a rush-job, as it seems Sega decided to localize it at the "last minute" (Possibly around August) for a release at the end of the fiscal year. If they are showing Y4 at E3, then that means, assuming that they started it after finishing Y3 and also assuming a March 2011 release, they will have nearly a year to translate Y4.[/QUOTE]
Very true on both fronts, especially the second.
Looks like sales pleased Sega enough to give this one a little time.

Update on the EU Blog from Sega reads like this , providing a little more evidence to be optimistic:

Quick Edit! Hi guys, lots of comments so far – judging from them a fair few regarding the Y3 situation, which is fair enough. Whilst I don’t know all the ins and outs of the game at this stage I can at least confirm to you that the much loved Hostesses will return in Yakuza 4 in all their alluring glory. As for Nagoshi-san I’m sure you can come up with some really in-depth questions for him – so come on whats the one thing you’ve alllllways wanted to know about the world of Yakuza? :)

Since the OP is banned, someone, (or I'll) make a Yakuza 4 thread around E3.

So where are all those people that were crying Yakuza 4 would never come to the US if we all didn't support Sega and each buy 10 copies of Yakuza 3? :D

[quote name='Blackout']So where are all those people that were crying Yakuza 4 would never come to the US if we all didn't support Sega and each buy 10 copies of Yakuza 3? :D[/QUOTE]

Sega actually said Yakuza 3 was profitable and sold more then they thought.

[quote name='Paco']Sega actually said Yakuza 3 was profitable and sold more then they thought.[/QUOTE]

How much did it sell?

I just remember when Yakuza 3 released, some people around here made it seem like if Yakuza didn't sell 20 million copies then we'd never see the sequel.

They'd better not cut out ANY material this time around under the guise of "WE DIDN'T HAVE TIME!"

I'm cautiously optimistic.

[quote name='Blackout']How much did it sell?

I just remember when Yakuza 3 released, some people around here made it seem like if Yakuza didn't sell 20 million copies then we'd never see the sequel.[/QUOTE]

I dont think I saw any actual figures, but I believe within the first few weeks, it had already outsold the first two games. Does VGChartz have any figures? I cant check while Im at work.

Here is some promising news http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-yakuza-4-preview-and-localization-details-176755.phtml

[quote name='Destructoid']Sega wants us to know that they're working to make the most complete, unfiltered Yakuza yet for western audiences. Yakuza 4 will include the hostess clubs in full.

In fact, every aspect of the Japanese game will make it over save for the trivia show game, as it focuses on Japanese pop culture, and would be too obscure to work in the western release.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely even more excited now :)

[quote name='whoknows']No Trivia Show = No buy[/QUOTE]

This trolling is almost as fun as the NO MAI NO BAI bit. Or the NO K DASH NO PAY KASH.

I know, I'm going to send a thank you letter to Sega and ask about Project-K. I'm freaking addicted now LOL

Also, that Vanquish sci-fi shooter that Sega is making looks freaking awesome. What the hell's going on w/Sega now? They're actually making games that I'm really excited for :)

The last Sega stuff I played was on the Genesis, after that I kind of lost interest.
I'm definitely hoping that they bring some of those Dreamcast titles like that Shenmue and that RPG (sorry, can't recall the name) to PSN after they put out Crazy Taxi and that Sonic game.

i wish theyd keep the trivia game in as well. i dont see what theyd gain by taking it out and if people dont want to play it they wont. if theyre that worried about alienating american gamers with it just make sure theres no trophies connected to it.

Come on guys, this is really great news.

Just be thankful that we are making progress--Yakuza 3 had much less localized content than Yakuza 4 is supposed to have. We were able to buy enough copies to get Yakuza 4, and they're bringing most of the game here. Just enjoy the game, it's going to be awesome, just play it and have fun!

[quote name='lokizz']i wish theyd keep the trivia game in as well. i dont see what theyd gain by taking it out and if people dont want to play it they wont. if theyre that worried about alienating american gamers with it just make sure theres no trophies connected to it.[/QUOTE]

It's a piece of shit mini-game about JAPANESE POP CULTURE. Stop looking for things to bitch about.

[quote name='Buuhan1']It's a piece of shit mini-game about JAPANESE POP CULTURE. Stop looking for things to bitch about.[/QUOTE]

dumbass im not bitching and unlike you i do know about japanese pop culture so id like to play the mini game. just because youre ignorant of any other culture than your own doesnt mean everyone else is.

[quote name='lokizz']i wish theyd keep the trivia game in as well. i dont see what theyd gain by taking it out and if people dont want to play it they wont. if theyre that worried about alienating american gamers with it just make sure theres no trophies connected to it.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty simple. By taking it out, they don't have to worry about translating all of the text associated with it, therefore saving time and money.

[quote name='Squall835']It's pretty simple. By taking it out, they don't have to worry about translating all of the text associated with it, therefore saving time and money.[/QUOTE]

yeah i thought that could be a reason to get rid of it too. shame though maybe someone will put up videos of it on youtube so i can see what its like.

[youtube]huyKJJTGf0g[/youtube]

Now that's one classy trailer, and even classier boxart. Color me impressed, Sega.

I can't wait for this game!!!

I really want that PSP one to come over to the US too :(
I wish they'd just start doing "international" versions of these games w/the English and stuff so everyone can enjoy them.

bread's done
Back