Tritton Ax720 gaming headset $99.99 Amazon,Best Buy

I own a set of these and they are really convenient. Be aware though that there is pretty much no bass (well i exagerate but its definitely not punchy or what not). Personally I am looking into getting another headset because I really want to hear the impact from gunfire and such.

Good headjust, just really no bass. FYI.

[quote name='newlu']$99.99 is not a deal, sorry.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. These have been holding steady for the most past at $129.99 for about a year. I was waiting on them to drop in price for months last year, but gave in and finally bought at $129.99. $99.99 is the lowest I have ever seen them.

This is a very nice headset for the most part. There are better options out there if you have a ton of money to spend. But for those looking for a reasonably priced, excellent sounding 5.1 gaming headset, these are a great option.

Pros:
- Very good sound quality
- 5.1 Surround Sound (Simulated)
- Easy to set up
- Works with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Cons:
- Bulky, these things are pretty huge
- Build quality seems a little on the flimsy side
- Wired (although I personally preferred a wired set)

Go back to SD...

To each his own, if you see a better deal post it or shut it. I'm in for 1, being that its multisystem AND $30 off, good enough for me.

I would say go for it at this price. I ended up picking up the Ear Force DPX21 when it was on a lightning deal last month for $105.

A "surround sound" headset for $100 is a great investment, it really makes games more immersive.

Does anyone use them for BOTH the 360 & PS3?

Can you give me any input as to how the setup is if I want to use these on both systems....basically, is it a pain to switch from one system to another?

Oh well, I ordered a Sharkoon SP headset last night for $60, so I guess I'll have to live without the 5.1 for now. Maybe the extra $40 is worth it, but I haven't started work yet :D

HAHAHAHAH!!! Dude, I paid THREE TIMES that for these when they were first released!

Good deal. I got mine around black friday for $118 and thought deal. 4 months of fun, until price drop, still worth it.
They also can be used for pc. I'm currently using them for my ps3.

[quote name='wesleypipes6']Does anyone use them for BOTH the 360 & PS3?

Can you give me any input as to how the setup is if I want to use these on both systems....basically, is it a pain to switch from one system to another?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to get this Splitter along with 2 more cables so I don't have a switch inputs all the time. It'll cost around $12.:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

[quote name='Captain Andreas']i just picked them up 2 weeks ago from best buy, they're awesome.

Edit: just checked bestbuy.com and they're on sale for 99.99 also

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton+Technologies+-+AX+720+Gaming+Audio+System+for+Xbox%2C+PS3+and+Mac/Windows/9466124.p?id=1218109500597&skuId=9466124&st=tritton%20720&cp=1&lp=1[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up I'll add BB to the post as well.

If u don't mind losing the simulated surround sound, I highly recommend the Turtle Beach PX21 @ $79.99 MSRP. I've had that headset for 2 months with no issues at all.

Tritton makes good headphones. I personally looked at this model, but decided against it when I discovered the 720 only gives you SIMULATED 5.1 sound. I chose to get the Tritton AX Pro model that gives true 5.1 sound. It does cost more, but has been well worth the money. I use it constantly on my PC and consoles and love it.

I've been wanting to get a pair of gaming headphones lately. It would be my first time getting a pair of those but I think they would get a lot of use (PS3, 360, movies) so I don't mind spending $100-150 on them.

I'm kind of torn between these and the Turtle Beach DPX21. I've read lots of impressions and reviews on both and it seems like the DPX21 has slightly better sound quality, are more comfortable and you can hear yourself speaking through the headset. I like that last factor since supposedly these headsets cut off any outside sounds completely, including your own voice. It would be weird not hearing yourself so you would be talking louder than usual or wondering if you're talking loud enough.

I don't like the white color of the AX720 but supposedly the directional sounds in games like CoD is a little better than the DPX21.

But it's $100 vs $140. I kind of want to bite on this deal to save some money but it's a tough choice.

I picked up the Logitech F540s at Best Buy last night instead for $109. Wired was a deal breaker for me. The F540s sound great even if they're only stereo.

[quote name='wesleypipes6']Does anyone use them for BOTH the 360 & PS3?

Can you give me any input as to how the setup is if I want to use these on both systems....basically, is it a pain to switch from one system to another?[/QUOTE]

The headset comes with a cord that hooks into the 360 controller and the volume control piece. For PS3, you just plug a USB (included with the headset) into the back of the amplifier into a USB slot on the PS3. I think the PS3 is a lot less of a hassle and a lot less of a mess compared to hooking up the 360. The 360 is fine though, it just adds an extra cord that gets in your way. This is definitely an awesome headset. Killzone 3 sounds amazing!

great deal.

once again, dobly headphone ("simulated surround") is infinitely better than "true" 5.1. say the tritton ax pro uses 5 tiny drivers that fit in ear cuff to separate sounds. since its so close to your ear, you'll definitely notice the large gaps between the five drivers. its not surround sound, its more like five points and large gaps inbetween. on the other hand, dobly headphone uses changes in frequency/amp to trick your brain into thinking that sound is coming from your environment.

options
mix amp = mix amp 5.8 wireless = roughly same as tritton ax720 >> dss >>> ax pro

the dss is great if you dont notice the hiss. if you can't hear it, then youre golden.

what youre really buying with the ax720 is the box. youre getting a closed headset for free. the cans are decent but the mic is iffy ok. if you want to upgrade, you will just buy better headphones and plug it into your ax720 box (which is equivalent to the mixamp).

but each person's ears are different, so my advice may or may not work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spectre666']I ordered them as well. I have the TB X1's now, but don't like no being able to have mic function using the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, I picked this up for less than $10 from Amazon and it basically turns the TB mic into a USB mic. You have to run your sound like you do through your Xbox (through the red/white composite pass throughs or like me with the TB DSS) NOT through USB.

The only 2 caveats is that the sound is controlled by only the main dial (not a separate volume for main/chat) and the version I got is only outputting mono sound through the mic which is FINE for chatting, but not for recording music or whatever.

Here's a video how-to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGGcEabaJ9I

[quote name='egonpax']Just FYI, I picked this up for less than $10 from Amazon and it basically turns the TB mic into a USB mic. You have to run your sound like you do through your Xbox (through the red/white composite pass throughs or like me with the TB DSS) NOT through USB.

The only 2 caveats is that the sound is controlled by only the main dial (not a separate volume for main/chat) and the version I got is only outputting mono sound through the mic which is FINE for chatting, but not for recording music or whatever.

Here's a video how-to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGGcEabaJ9I[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I toyed around with the idea of doing that, but, I figured it would be a PITA to switch back and fourth between the consoles.

great setup for the price. Good sound. The headphone cups seem to hurt my right ear with extended play so i had to give them up.

[quote name='enufs8d']great deal.

once again, dobly headphone ("simulated surround") is infinitely better than "true" 5.1. say the tritton ax pro uses 5 tiny drivers that fit in ear cuff to separate sounds. since its so close to your ear, you'll definitely notice the large gaps between the five drivers. its not surround sound, its more like five points and large gaps inbetween. on the other hand, dobly headphone uses changes in frequency/amp to trick your brain into thinking that sound is coming from your environment.

options
mix amp = mix amp 5.8 wireless = roughly same as tritton ax720 >> dss >>> ax pro

the dss is great if you dont notice the hiss. if you can't hear it, then youre golden.

what youre really buying with the ax720 is the box. youre getting a closed headset for free. the cans are decent but the mic is iffy ok. if you want to upgrade, you will just buy better headphones and plug it into your ax720 box (which is equivalent to the mixamp).

but each person's ears are different, so my advice may or may not work for you.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good post. however, the ax720 box has that funky input, its not directly compatible with standard 3.5 headphone plugs. the axpro decoder is more easily compatible with other headsets.

paz9x

the volume control breaks off to allow for other headphones with 3.5

2zpjzwi.jpg

The 720's decoder really has Mixamp SQ? (So the difference would be build quality?) Will get one if true.

Nice deal for these.

I had them back in October and liked the sound and mixamp but, they were not comfortable because I have a big skull. So, if you also have a large skull beware you might also find them uncomfortable.

If not, I definitely recommend them because that was the only issue I had with them.

I got the Tritton's AX PROs and they're awesome, but not worth the 170 I paid for them.

If anything they're worth $150, if that.

I picked these up a few weeks ago and have been very satisfied. Living in a townhouse I am still wary of really pumping up the volume, but with these I have full 5.1, in a headphone! My head only got sore for wearing them for four hours straight, otherwise they're comfortable. Integrated headset is really nice.

I have had the Tritton AXPRos for nearly a year and they are pretty nice although my first and only gaming headset. LOVE hearing footsteps/guns in CoD. Gaming headsets are a must till i buy a house and can crank up a real surrounr! Trittons are very comfy and even my big ass head is cumfy after hours of playing.

If money is no object...... What is the best gaming headset?? I want it for 95% XBL but also be PS3 compatible in case SOCOM sucks me back in..

:D

[quote name='lazyb']nope either will work splitter just adds another step for switching.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to optical audio. The description for the splitter is confusing since it reads "If you need to have two source devices go into a single input on a reciever, then you need a switch. In that case try PID# 2946." But then in the reviews people are pointing out that they're using it for exactly that (PS3 and 360 connected to a receiver).

Guess to stay on topic I should say I have the 720s and am very happy with them. Sound is good, I don't wake the dogs playing late at night and the headphones are comfortable on my mailbox-shaped head.

[quote name='enufs8d']paz9x

the volume control breaks off to allow for other headphones with 3.5

2zpjzwi.jpg
[/QUOTE]

no shit? i didnt realize that and itll output the simulated surround too. very nice, thanks for the pic too.

I actually just bought these last week and I need to return them. The sound doesn't impress for me, I definitely hear the hiss, and my nice, spherical head ends up hurting after just 10-20 minutes of play. I was very sad since besides that they're pretty nice and feel sturdy. I think the fit might work well for someone with a smaller head, but if you've got a decent-sized melon you may want to buy from BB so you can try them out and return them if you have an issue.

I had been wanting to get a pair of multi-console Turtle Beach at BB but they were out of stock. The sales rep tried to convince me that the box with the Tritton made them wireless but I decided not to break her little heart on the matter. I liked them for $129.99 + a 10% off coupon I had but I think I'm just going to go for a non-surround (Surround sound, as a rule with headsets, makes me hear the hissing sound.) Turtle Beach headset next time.

The headphones are nice. I picked them up when they were $105 about a month ago. My only problem with them is that it gets uncomfortable after awhile for me, but I generally don't play games over an extended time anyway.

[quote name='lazyb']nope either will work splitter just adds another step for switching.

EDIT:I meant switch.[/QUOTE]

You'd want to use a switch to connect two sources (like a 360 and PS3) to the decoder; if you use a splitter, I think you'll be unhappy with the results if you have both sources powered on at the same time. I'd recommend a remotely-controlled switch if you can afford it.

Splitters are good for sending the same source to two different places. For example, you can connect the output of your switch to a splitter, and then connect the splitter outputs to both a home theater receiver and a headset decoder.

[quote name='paz9x']Thats a good post. however, the ax720 box has that funky input, its not directly compatible with standard 3.5 headphone plugs. the axpro decoder is more easily compatible with other headsets.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the AX Pro decoder uses the round multi-pin connectors for the headset, not the usual 3.5 mm jack.

[quote name='ArQuesta']I actually just bought these last week and I need to return them. The sound doesn't impress for me, I definitely hear the hiss, and my nice, spherical head ends up hurting after just 10-20 minutes of play. I was very sad since besides that they're pretty nice and feel sturdy. I think the fit might work well for someone with a smaller head, but if you've got a decent-sized melon you may want to buy from BB so you can try them out and return them if you have an issue.

I had been wanting to get a pair of multi-console Turtle Beach at BB but they were out of stock. The sales rep tried to convince me that the box with the Tritton made them wireless but I decided not to break her little heart on the matter. I liked them for $129.99 + a 10% off coupon I had but I think I'm just going to go for a non-surround (Surround sound, as a rule with headsets, makes me hear the hissing sound.) Turtle Beach headset next time.[/QUOTE]

youre going in the wrong direction! turtle beach and the dss are the same thing. the hiss is significantly worse than the tritton. if your ears are that sensitive then, the only thing better is the astro mixamp (wired version). the wireless 5.8 mixamp has a hiss equivalent to the ax720 box.

either the ax720 box or mixamp, in your case, you will want to upgrade to more comfortable headphones. remember what i said that you're only buying it for the dac/box. once you get a good dobly headphone setup, you can never go back to stereo.

dolbly headphone is more of a i can't wake up the wife/neighbors/etc when im late night gaming.

[quote name='henryVIII']I disagree. These have been holding steady for the most past at $129.99 for about a year. I was waiting on them to drop in price for months last year, but gave in and finally bought at $129.99. $99.99 is the lowest I have ever seen them.

This is a very nice headset for the most part. There are better options out there if you have a ton of money to spend. But for those looking for a reasonably priced, excellent sounding 5.1 gaming headset, these are a great option.

Pros:
- Very good sound quality
- 5.1 Surround Sound (Simulated)
- Easy to set up
- Works with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Cons:
- Bulky, these things are pretty huge
- Build quality seems a little on the flimsy side
- Wired (although I personally preferred a wired set)[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm pretty sure you have to fork out an extra $50 to get the 5.1. These AX720s do non-5.1 simulated surround. I wish they were wireless though, that is a total deal breaker.

bread's done
Back