PS3 "Black Label" Games to open or not?

The Notorious ROB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I was just reading another user's post where he has a sealed copy of COD4 and he just bought a used copy of the game to play. My question is how does one determine what "Black Label" game to open or not to open?

I have MSG4, KZ2, GoW 3 which are all sealed. I was thinking of just getting those games I want to play in the ugly red cases.

Why?

Do you take particularly bad care of games you play, or do you want to display those games on a shelf? Those are the only reasons I can think of for buying two copies like that.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Why?

Do you take particularly bad care of games you play, or do you want to display those games on a shelf? Those are the only reasons I can think of for buying two copies like that.[/QUOTE]I take great care of my games and yes I do have them displayed on a shelf.

Why in the hell would anyone do this? None of those games are rare. None of them are hard to find. Anything that is greatest hits sold boatloads. If you're trying to save them because you think keeping them sealed is some sort of investment, you're better off opening and playing them.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why in the hell would anyone do this? None of those games are rare. None of them are hard to find. Anything that is greatest hits sold boatloads. If you're trying to save them because you think keeping them sealed is some sort of investment, you're better off opening and playing them.[/QUOTE]That's what I figured and the only games that might be worth something are the Limited Edition or Collectors Edition.

I tend to disagree a little here.

Threw time (regardless of sales #'s and rareness) the popular/good games first releases are the ones sought after or wanted mainly by collectors.

Look at the PS2 games or PS1 games.

I think in good time they will be worth something but are you willing to wait that long.

Examples
Super Mario
Zelda
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Final Fantasy

All these games have sold MILLIONS of copies but get a sealed black label and you have something. So the have sold million copies no rarity doesnt always fit/win.

Dont forget there is alot of Rare Shovelware that is still worthless and nobody wants.
The key is somebody has to want it.
Its only worth what somebody will pay.

I've heard of people seeking out the Black Label boxes only because they don't want red cases. That's kinda strange to me(unless there is no price difference) but whatever. Buying one copy just to have a sealed copy then spending more money to play a game just in case the sealed copy may one day be worth money doesn't make any sense to me.:whistle2:k

I think the reason a lot of older games that are still sealed can be worth money is because back then no one(or very few) ever thought to just hang onto them because they'd be worth money. Today you'll get a lot of people thinking that way which decreases their rarity and thus the value.

That's just a waste of money. Buying extra copies of COD4 and all those other mega hits is a terrible investment. Read up on opportunity cost.

i have a black label demon souls and infamous sealed.

i only think the black label demon souls will be worth something though lol.

[quote name='gomikeoh']i have a black label demon souls and infamous sealed.

i only think the black label demon souls will be worth something though lol.[/QUOTE]
yeah maybe, I agree.

Games like COD that get released every year are not gonna be HOT items in 10+ years. Show me a copy of a 90's sealed madden that people go ga-ga over like a sealed FF VII.

I HATE the red cases though. I have 120+ games on my shelf with no damn red cases. I will go out and buy a game when it hits 'greatest hits' to get a copy before all the red cases come out it I don't own the title yet. I also hated when ps3 changed the universal part of the cover art. Thanks sony, now half my spines are different (yeah it's kinda stupid but I know there are plenty of others out there who feel the Exact same way)

[quote name='lmz00']There are far better ways to invest money than buying a bunch of "black label" games.[/QUOTE]

Not in anyway saying there is not a better investing way.

Care to share. Specific stocks maybe? Not just stock market, bonds.

Not that a gaming site is one for investing advice but u said "FAR better"

I just collect cause its a hobby personally. While it being a hobby, its also being an investment at the same time.

No need to bash people for wanting to "collect" certain type of games. Its no different from the likes of Pokemon Cards back in the day, ya know?

bread's done
Back