CAGcast #231: Winning

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The gang talks Bulletstorm, Brink, Killzone 3, Knight's Contract, the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]140[/podcast]
Download - 75 minutes, 45MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Note: Sorry, my audio is less than ideal this week. Will definitely have it sorted out by the next show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome reference Cheapy.
The Stern show ruled today and I can't wait to follow it up with a podcast for work tomorrow!

[quote name='xombi242']Awesome reference Cheapy.
The Stern show ruled today and I can't wait to follow it up with a podcast for work tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Wait did stern have charlie sheen on? I saw him on the daily show talking about trying to get him.

I dunno I'll look into it, maybe he's on the cagcast this week though. Wouldn't be the weirdest place he's been interviewed lately.

The only time I've known of a reduced-to-free game on Xbox Marketplace was when Undertow was given out to Gold members to apologize because Xbox Live crashed for a couple days. I still have yet to play that game...

I believe the last reduced to free XBLA game was Carcassonne and that was for them borking Xbox Live for about a month after NXE came out.

Wombat, I was wondering if you're going to wait a year for the eventual Skyrim GOTY edition or not? It seems like a safe bet considering the last 2 games this generation from Bethesda have had them. I'd bet on a third from Fallout New Vegas, but it's a bit too early to tell.

woo cagcast and since I've got nothing better to do with them

dragon age legends beta codes

DLXD-W7Q3-B7C2-RTCZ
DLXD-W7Q3-M7ZC-CJVA
DLXD-W7Q3-V8NP-PB3C
DLXD-W7Q3-488Y-KP42

used:
DLXD-W7Q4-FAWA-CTYK

be nice and post if you use em.

I believe to use em search for dragon age legends on facebook.

don't think you can unlock stuff for dragon age 2 playing the beta though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show! all the talk about Bulletstorm really makes me want to buy it now..I was going to wait for a $20 price point, but the good reviews and talk about the game make it seem like it'd be a pretty fun time.

and I used this code for the Dragon Age beta (thanks evantrees!)
DLXD-W7Q4-FAWA-CTYK

Fashion week moved to Lincoln Center. It is no longer in Bryant Park.

I will go kill a lion with my bare hands to regain the man points i just lost with that statement.

Good show. I was actually pretty interested in everything you guys talked about.

Cheapys upcoming games wishlist was pretty good. There's a ton of great stuff coming out this year.

Some other upcoming games that weren't mentioned: Rage, Silent Hill Downpour, Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Shadows Of The Damned, Alice Madness Returns, and of course...Lego Pirates. All could be pretty good along with everything else mentioned.

I think Xbox gave the post for people that signed up for it. i know I got it but my other profile for other members of the family did not get it but it proves my PS3 got much more love.

VOYT-13.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
14 hours 58 minutes
blank.gif
blank.gif
VOYT-14.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
Castle Crashers
blank.gif
blank.gif
4 hours 26 minutes
blank.gif
blank.gif
VOYT-15.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
ESPN on Xbox LIVE
blank.gif
blank.gif
3 hours 25 minutes
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
Rock Band 3
blank.gif
blank.gif
1 hours 57 minutes

I preordered the Nintendo 3DS, any word if the 3ds will have demos to download?? I am just replacing my DSi. The only launch game I am getting on the 3ds is Lego Star Wars 3: Clone Wars. 1 of the other things they talked about was movies coming to watch on the 3ds. The 3d movie channel was apparently added to the 3ds shopping channel today, watching a 3d movie that only I can watch seems interesting.

Speaking of portable devices, I don't understand the hate for the NGP. Sony has fixed all the issues and are including a 2nd analog stick and still there is haters. Plus you can add all the games that you downloaded to this new handheld. My only sticking point is the price. I won't pay more then $299 and I fear it will be more. I just say reserve judgement on the NGP till we know more maybe at E3 when it would make more sense.

I saw Cheapy's tweet about the PS3 system update while using Plus. Since they update the system update at a certain point of the day, there is no way for it to know that you are playing between the update time and the middle of the night for the auto update. Same thing goes if you play a game and that game has an update and they system was updated in between those times. I was shocked it wasn't mentioned but it's just one of those things that can't be handled any better.

Great show as usual. Cheapy, you sound like you're in a tunnel or something this week!
Stoked for Brink. I was a huge fan of the ET games.

Cheapy you sound like you are inside a box. Did u get a new mic or a smaller room? Everyone else sounds normal to me.

Cheapy D is live from Atlantis and I don't mean Atlantis the resort. It sounds like he's hanging out with Aquaman and Namor.

Man, why are you guys praising Bulletstorm so much! You're almost succeeding in making go buy a game I initially had very little interest in. I think I can resist for now though, I'll definitely put this one on my list of games to buy once it's $30 or less.

Cheapy finally decided to poop while doing the podcast that's all!

Great show and yeah looks like the temptation to get Bulletstorm is everywhere.

LOL once again Cheapy pretends to be open minded but slamming the NGP nonetheless. Also like with almost every PS3 sequel (Looks to God of War III, and Uncharted 2 for examples) the best thing he can say about the game is "it's more of Killzone, it's good, it's Killzone".

I won't beat a dead horse, but maybe people are questioning your will to do this podcast because you are becoming very set in your ways. You know you like the iPhone and iPad and refuse to give anything a shot, you know you like certain games and dislike others, so you go about your business, it's become very stagnant.

The site is called Cheap Ass Gamers, but you usually spend a good amount of time telling us about the money you are spending on iPhones, iPads, 3D TVs, and trips you take. Sort of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I am pretty sure Ship and Wombat notice it too.

The personal stuff is funny sometimes but add more content to the game discussions, bringing back the CAG deals is a good idea.

Otherwise good show, Ship and Wombat are the real reason for this show, wish they got more props.

There is one good take-away from this show . . . . . EVERYONE is jacked for SKYRIM!

We don't have to imagine if Japan tried to make God of War, Shipwreck. God of War came after and was clearly derivative of Japanese action games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

I'm sure you're right that Knights Contract is crap, though.

I was listening to you guys talk about your Raptr stats, so I checked my own. Their numbers are way off. I played Pac-Man CE DX last night for 10 minutes and Raptr says I played for 41. I wonder where they're getting these times from.

[quote name='StriderNo9']LOL once again Cheapy pretends to be open minded but slamming the NGP nonetheless. Also like with almost every PS3 sequel (Looks to God of War III, and Uncharted 2 for examples) the best thing he can say about the game is "it's more of Killzone, it's good, it's Killzone".
.[/QUOTE]

So what do you want him to do? Create Fake Enthusiasm?

I am not a big fan of my PS3. If i had my own podcast, i wouldn't fake my feelings to make a few fanboys happy. He's being honest and that is all we can ask.

One thing that REALLY fucking freaked me out is how you mentioned Chicken Pot Pie. I was eating that when I was listening....believe me or not.

More pimping of that dodgy scraper site raptr, and nothing about the demise of MyGamerCard.net? Considering how many people on CAG used to use MGC for their sigs, I find that surprising.

http://profile.mygamercard.net/

To make matters worse, while most of us who insisted on playing by the rules (Terms of Use) of the XCDP, others were showing their lack of respect and selfishness by setting up 'screen scraping' mechanisms to gather additional data from the Xbox website that are otherwise unavailable to us. If you've ever been to Xbox.com and noticed how slow it is - they are the reason why. These sites - some of them for-profit corporations - benefit from having the type of information that the rest of us had been asking for, which quickly started eating away at our traffic. Repeated discussions with Microsoft regarding this issue have gone largely unacknowledged (and certainly un-actioned) by anyone beyond my initial contact.

Eventually, the rise of these websites, coupled with the declining advertising ecosystem, pushed my out-of-pocket expenses upwards as advertising alone couldn't maintain the (quite modest, comparatively) monthly hosting fees. Eventually, the decision had to be made to take down the site. It wasn't (and still isn't) a decision I've made lightly; proof of that is the simple fact that I've been running half of my monthly costs out-of-pocket for over a year now. But despite the sadness of having to shut down this part and chapter of my life, there's a part of me is a little relieved that there's a set 'closure' to all of it, rather than infinite abandonment.

[quote name='davidb69']Speaking of portable devices, I don't understand the hate for the NGP.[/QUOTE]

It's a Sony product. There's nothing they could do that would gain any good-will from this crowd.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']It's a Sony product. There's nothing they could do that would gain any good-will from this crowd.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the part where we discussed hand jobs.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']It's a Sony product. There's nothing they could do that would gain any good-will from this crowd.[/QUOTE]

I dont see why people get so frustrated over the Cag Crew not being sony fanboys. It's okay to enjoy a console over another. They certainly dont hate it, they just have preferences. Sure it might be a bit more dynamic in terms of video game discussion if there was someone who leaned more in that direction but I have to admit that I listen to the show more for casual banter than for gaming news.

Personally I've been a pretty big Sony fan this Gen and I dont plan on purchasing an NGP for a number of reasons.

It's just not a big deal.

The last thing I remember going from priced to free on XBLA was some Halo 3 map packs that started off costing points and then once the maps were integrated into the normal match making they were free (and you were forced to d/l them)

Whoever gave Wombat that idea about accounting and Xbox Live must think Microsoft has a bunch of accountants out of a Dickens novel, scribbling away with quill pens and great big ledgers. And there I was thinking Microsoft was a software company that knew how to automate such things.

In the music business companies like BMI and ASCAP handle the rights for millions of bands and songwriters, many of whom receive quarterly payments of just a few dollars. The idea that Microsoft can't efficiently handle a couple of hundred publishers makes no sense.

Awesome show just surprise how wombat said that brink wasn't that amazing hopefully they can release a good demo so i can decide if i should buy it.

Wombat, I can't believe you never went to Chinatown fair arcade... Are you sure you are a New Yorker?

[quote name='BannedEpisode']I dont see why people get so frustrated over the Cag Crew not being sony fanboys. It's okay to enjoy a console over another. They certainly dont hate it, they just have preferences. Sure it might be a bit more dynamic in terms of video game discussion if there was someone who leaned more in that direction but I have to admit that I listen to the show more for casual banter than for gaming news.

Personally I've been a pretty big Sony fan this Gen and I dont plan on purchasing an NGP for a number of reasons.

It's just not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Who's frustrated?

If they enjoy licking Microsoft's boots, that's fine with me. I simply choose to dedicate my time to better podcasts, since I enjoy all platforms pretty much equally. Because, that's what gamers do.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Whoever gave Wombat that idea about accounting and Xbox Live must think Microsoft has a bunch of accountants out of a Dickens novel, scribbling away with quill pens and great big ledgers. And there I was thinking Microsoft was a software company that knew how to automate such things.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft only controls the pricing of the titles they publish (unless they sacrifice their own margin). Pricing changes for all other titles would most likely require approval from the publisher of the game. This is easy to do when they pair it with a promotion and promise increased sales. Without a promotion the sales increase is much lower and a harder sell. Not that the promoted sales are all that impressive to begin with. Gamasutra just did an analysis of the deals of the week from January here. Risk Factions went from 3K units at $10 to ($30K) to 12K at $5 ($60K).

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Who's frustrated?

If they enjoy licking Microsoft's boots, that's fine with me. I simply choose to dedicate my time to better podcasts, since I enjoy all platforms pretty much equally. Because, that's what gamers do.[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that you live in a perfect world where all systems are equal? That's beautiful.

All i know is that my Xbox is constantly being used and my PS3 and Wii are collecting dust (I bought my Wii at launch btw).

Can i ask why you are posting on this forum if you dedicate your time to better podcasts?

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Who's frustrated?

If they enjoy licking Microsoft's boots, that's fine with me. I simply choose to dedicate my time to better podcasts, since I enjoy all platforms pretty much equally. Because, that's what gamers do.[/QUOTE]

You enjoy all platforms equally, but according to your profiles you are Level 13 on PSN yet only have 8K GamerScore on Xbox Live. Better get those evened out or you may get that "gamer" title revoked!

lame shipwreck...just lame. You get the perks of the job, you gotta man up and take the heat. I couldn't care less what platforms you all like but I just wish you would strive to a little more accurate and aware of the platforms you don't.

What is this Gamefaqs? It's obvious Cheapy-Wombat-Shipwreck go where the games bring them. If they felt the games were compeling on the PS3 they would rant and rave about them, same goes for the Wii. It has nothing to do with their pockets being lined with Microsoft's money.

I don't own a PS3 (because the majority of the games I want are multiplatform and I believe being a FPS/shooter fan the trades off are worth it ie they get Heavy Rain we get Alan Wake, they get Killzone we get Halo. etc.) but I do own a Wii.

Let me tell you I hardly ever use my Wii. Why? Because most of the games appeal to the casual audeince. Infact i only bought 3 Wii games last year - Silent Hill Shattered Memories (love the series, Wii had the best version) Tats vs Capcom (Love fighting games, tied me over till MVC3 came out) and of course No More Heroes 2 (Great sequel to a great game). Looking outside of Nintendo's published titles theres not much there, and the only game I wanted that I didn't get was Donkey Kong Country returns.

bread's done
Back