Amazon - Nier - PS3 19.99, 360 19.47

worth it. i probably wouldn't have felt bad if i paid release date price for it. I usually don't want to replay games but I feel like I want to with this one.

Finally tried this game and was horribly disappointed by it.

That said, $15 is probably an appropriate price, but, to be honest, I wouldn't pick this up off the street.

[quote name='VaultDweller']bought this for $7 last year, it was awful, glad i sold it on craigslist for triple to some idiot weeabo kid[/QUOTE]

No offense,but, Nier was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than fallout vegas ;).Fallout 3 was the bomb though.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Finally tried this game and was horribly disappointed by it.

That said, $15 is probably an appropriate price, but, to be honest, I wouldn't pick this up off the street.[/QUOTE]
I've never actually heard a general consensus about this game. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of game.

I'm scared to try it. :(

[quote name='ster']I've never actually heard a general consensus about this game. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of game.

I'm scared to try it. :([/QUOTE]

It's... competent at times. The hack and slash part of the game is functional and not too offensive, with a decent magic implementation. The voice work and translation are marvelous. That's pretty much all I can say about the game that doesn't involve the word atrocious, grating, or trying too hard. That includes the rest of the gameplay and the plot.

Getting a good read on it is ridiculously difficult. Fans overrate it, critics probably underrate it but I sympathize with the critics, especially given that my time and money and hopes were dashed by it, but your mileage can vary.

[quote name='ster']I've never actually heard a general consensus about this game. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of game.

I'm scared to try it. :([/QUOTE]

Hard to say so I'll leave it to the trusty Bullet-point system to explain my experience with the game (Beaten it 3/4 times for the endings)

Cons
-Hit boxes and fight animation seems subpar
-Limited Landscape design, felt uninspired in most.
-Quests are very "dry"
-Feels unpolished
-Cumbersome Menus, seriously...
-4 endings? that's great! right?...then you realized you'd have to drag yourself through the uninteresting game play again to get at it...=/
-Story a bit muddled at times, but had potential.
-Fishing is a simple task in the game, but simplicity grinds enjoyment to a halt in a game design with Role-Players in mind.
-----------*noticed how i phrase fishing as a task?:roll:*

Pros
-Music was memorable and a strong highlight!
-Beating the game each time adds naratives to the things you've been killing (New Perspective)
-Wall of texts (for 20-30 mins sometimes) was a bold step forwards (IMO) in an industry enveloped with Graphics as a quality benchmark.
-Kaine's Voice Actress along with her "banters" with Weiss

End note-----
I really wanted to like Nier, and i thought i did for the majority of the game. Until I realized I was just trying to justify buying it for $20+ with tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's finally time to bite on this. I've heard so many bad things about the gameplay but I've heard so much good about the soundtrack at this point I just want to hear it for myself.

[quote name='popaloo']
Pros
-Music was memorable and a strong highlight!
-Beating the game each time adds naratives to the things you've been killing (New Perspective)
-Wall of texts (for 20-30 mins sometimes) was a bold step forwards (IMO) in an industry enveloped with Graphics as a quality benchmark.
-Kaine's VA and her lines with Weiss[/QUOTE]

I thought the strongest part of the game was its score. It had really good atmospheric music when you play, especially in the initial town. The girls who did the vocals for some of the songs were DIVINE :applause:.

Gamestop.com is out of stock on the PS3 version and has been for a while (for new), and Amazon's prior sale for the PS3 version at the same price must have been fleeting because I remember when someone posted it and it was already back up to $30 when I checked it. I keep seeing the 360 version as low as $15 or $20 all over the place, but it's rare to find an IN STOCK (read: Gamestop) variation of this deal on PS3 (again, new). I might jump on this, finally, to see if I'm one of the love it or hate it ones. It's cheap enough for a gamble.

[quote name='ster']I've never actually heard a general consensus about this game. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've never had a game that was so extreme in its love it or hate it vibe. I bought this at full price a few days after it was out and have never regretted it a second. To me, it did a lot of different things competently, even quite good in many cases (gameplay wise), but didn't excel at any one of them. But, while the gameplay can get repetitive or humdrum sometimes, the music is amazing, the story can be heart-wrenching at times, and the voice actors were some of the best I've heard.

I usually recommend this game to people that can forgive some repetitive elements in the gameplay if it means getting a fantastic story.

Got sucked into this and enjoyed it, sure it has some flaws but not enough to stop me from playing. Loved the story, music and characters. I may go back to this one in the future and beat it again.

music and audio was great, voice acting solid, the graphics were fine.
What I did not enjoy was that subquests didn't offer enough carrot, and riding the boar isn't as easy and enjoyable as it should be, especially if you get knocked off by enemies.
Also, not having dedicated block/roll buttons means limiting the magic attacks you can preset.
I wanted to use a greater variety, but found myself locking into just a few because it was a pain otherwise.

Also, text walls are always tough to pull in videogames.

I have this game and I NIERLY hate some of the music, especially some of the church like ones. Dont' know the names of the songs. My favorite RPG/Advanture game music of all time is the Shenmue series.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']I have this game and I NIERLY hate some of the music, especially some of the church like ones. Dont' know the names of the songs. My favorite RPG/Advanture game music of all time is the Shenmue series.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see what you did thar. :applause:

[quote name='Hestar']No offense,but, Nier was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than fallout vegas ;).Fallout 3 was the bomb though.[/QUOTE]

Ummm no I'm rather play New Vegas a million times over than NIER once I couldnt even make it to half of the game it was just to boring I'm glad I got the game for free

bread's done
Back