XBLA - Iron Brigade - 1200 points - Double Fine's Mech TD Game - AKA Trenched

It doesn't look like Costume Quest or Stacking, but it seems more appropriate for the core 360 audience. I can't say I'm terribly interested, as I don't play shooters of any kind, but there was something about that trailer that had me at least wanting to try the demo.

Perhaps it was the doublelicious Double Fine logo. ;)

Interesting. Will definitely try the demo. Those mechs take up a large portion of the screen, though. Looks like it will be hard to see what's going on.

Trenched is going to be $15.

I assume Trenched was originally going to be part of summer of arcade, but it is somewhat similar to Toy Soldiers: Cold War. So they probably wanted to spread the games out.

Orcs must Die is also coming this summer which is another game that is fairly similar. They all look like they are going to be good. Hopefully they all sell well and don't interfere with each other's sales.

I played this at Pax East and loved it. They had 3 person Co-Op set up and me and the other two guys I played with owned that map. Plus I got talk with Brad Muir(lead designer although I didn't know it at the time) and very briefly Tim Schafer. I'll be on playing probably Wednesday night, damn you west coast guys.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Can this be bought any where other than xbl so I don't use up my xbl points?[/QUOTE]

Not as far as I know at the moment.

[quote name='BrolyB593']It looks like there is no local co-op at all.. is this true?[/QUOTE]

Nope. All the reviews have said no local co-op. Online only.

Bought this and played the first 3 levels. I like it. The game has lot of charm and style to it.

I had wached the E3 previews. The one thing that suprised me was that the walking around and shooting gameplay is actually pretty good all by itself. Then on top of that you have all the turrets and all the customization and co-op.

So far, when playing the levels for the first time your base might take a bunch of damage from not knowing the waves, but you don't wind up losing the game because of it. The first toy soldiers really suffered from overly punishing you for not memorizing and anticipating all the waves.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Bought this and played the first 3 levels. I like it. The game has lot of charm and style to it.

I had wached the E3 previews. The one thing that suprised me was that the walking around and shooting gameplay is actually pretty good all by itself. Then on top of that you have all the turrets and all the customization and co-op.

So far, when playing the levels for the first time your base might take a bunch of damage from not knowing the waves, but you don't wind up losing the game because of it. The first toy soldiers really suffered from overly punishing you for not memorizing and anticipating all the waves.[/QUOTE]

This is very encouraging news. If some more CAGs report similar thoughts, I may drop the 1200 on it since its Double Fine.

I have so far bought everything from double fine on Xbox with the exception of costume quest.

This looks like a no-brainer, but a lot of reviews say that solo play is like 1/4 the game.

What's up with the challenges? I know the Regiment Challenges are for co-op, but are the Personal Challenges also tied to co-op?

As much as I'm enjoying Trenched, it's doing a poor job explaining certain things and it's hard to tell what I own and how much in the equip menu.

Man, I was disappointed this was $15. Never bought costume quest or stacking due to this, but I've been looking forward to this for a while so why not splurge a bit. Might feel differently if I didn't in on the $15 for 4 month xbl and 800 pts

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Will I like this game if I don't like tower defense?[/QUOTE]

Try the demo. It's pretty good as a customizable mech game. They have an assault chassis which relies more on guns and your mech and less on your turrets. The first boss is really more of a mech fight, I don't think you even need turrets to beat him. You get money and can buy upgrades, if you like the mech more you can spend it on guns rather than new turrets.

My favorite "turret" now is the mine layer which isn't a typical tower defense turret at all.

You know this game is pretty much made for me haha. I'm loving it so far and glad I put down the money, let alone the bandwidth for this.
I was a bit cautious from it being over a gig, and our bandwidth % is nearing the top of our cap, but I read many glowing reviews so decided to take the plunge. I played the first four levels and I'd have to agree that this is a great game. I mean lol it feels like Tim Shaffer and Double Fine made this game just for me. Mech combat/customization and strategic tower defense gameplay, this game is everything I want to do. Plus the game has the sense of humor you'd find in any Double Fine game and the style is an unique war torn, yet visually appealing, theme.

So you blow up the enemy waves and collect the scrap. Each wave gets harder or newer enemies. The scrap is your resource to build and upgrade your turrets just like in other similar tower defense games. I love Double Fine because in a later level you get a turret to collect scrap "because I know you're lazy". :lol: The mech combat reminds me of something like Chromehounds although I only rented that game. Sniper rifle, grenade launcher, shotgun, machine gun, you've got a basic arsenal to mix and match for your Mech's load out. Ah man I miss Mech Warrior even more now!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wakawakawa']
My favorite "turret" now is the mine layer which isn't a typical tower defense turret at all.[/QUOTE]

no shit! I haven't come across a better turret yet either. This game is so great, it really shines when you're playing with 3 others.

It's like they brought Chromehounds back and all of my friends jumped back into the fight... I hadn't bought either Costume Quest or Stacking but I'm absolutely loving Trenched so far. I'm already excited for the inevitable 400 point expansion pack and I'm not even finished with the game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's up with the challenges? I know the Regiment Challenges are for co-op, but are the Personal Challenges also tied to co-op?

As much as I'm enjoying Trenched, it's doing a poor job explaining certain things and it's hard to tell what I own and how much in the equip menu.[/QUOTE]

Personal Challenges are only for what you accomplish in the game and Co-Op Challenges are whenever you play with other people... I'm half tempted to say that it always advances with whatever you put into it (even offline). Which would mean that anytime a person who has played with you beats missions alone it continues to advance for you as well?

Each item that you own will have a x(number showing how many you own) next to it. I usually end up selling anything I have more than one of, unless it's a machine gun I could use twice. Missions will suggest what you should purchase before advancing into the level, it will even suggest what you should purchase if you do not already own it. I believe it's denoted with a little yellow symbol on the righthand side?

I didn't see any co-op challenges, just personal and regiment. Both started working on my second session, though personal challenges didn't start tracking until a few missions after regiment challenges.

Very disappointed that there's no player vs player, with Chromehounds gone and no original Xbox games on Live, there are no good mech games out there.

yeah this game is the shiznit.

the trial doesn't do it enough justice, while it was fun and gives you a taste the fact that you can't really customize your trench much further w/all the new and fun goodies is probably why some ppl didn't buy it.

I hope there's DLC for it. new missions, new marines, new outfits, and of course tech.

Just found it weird that they chose the name Iron Brigade, like a smaller Steel Battalion. :D

But yeah, heck yeah for a title update!

it's possible they just did a search on potential names that weren't already copyright or trademarked and went with it...kinda like searching for a new gamertag.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is there still a good community going with this game? It looks cool but I've been holding out for a sale.[/QUOTE]

the community will most likely get new life jolted into them when the TU hits, and frankly I'd pay $19.99 for this I enjoyed it so much. At point from what I've seen, there's always ppl playing but mainly just to get the co-op achievements. I play with one buddy and we have a blast everytime, I can only imagine how it is with 3 other players who don't just run off and idle.

bread's done
Back