Legend of Heroes VI: Trails in the Sky (TitS!) - Out now!

Draekon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
NeoGAF Thread - Bunch of information there

soralogo.jpg

Official Website

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky introduces players to Liberl Kingdom, the world's foremost authority on newly-discovered "orbal" technology. The stage is set in the provincial city of Rolent, within the walls of its local Bracer Guild. A peacekeeping organization free of allegiance to any country or government, the bracers are an elite community of skilled combatants, responsible for restoring peace following war 10 years prior.

Players follow the young candidates Estelle and Joshua as they prepare to take their first steps toward joining these elite ranks. They embark on their training, and following quests that lead them to the farthest corners of the land and onward, bring to light a dark government agency with intent to sabotage the very peace the bracers have dedicated their lives to preserving.

As the ultimate adventure to arrive on the PSP® system, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky boasts an unparalleled RPG experience with over 50 hours of gameplay, an intricate customizable combat system, a meticulously detailed game world full of life, and a narrative that encompasses politics, economy, conspiracy and fantasy alike, with an in-game newspaper that releases new issues as the story progresses, an 11-part mystery novel, and much, much more to be collected. The main cast of well-developed characters in a richly-detailed 3D world wholly immerses players in an RPG of epic proportions.

Purchase/Pre-Order Details:

Standard Edition (MSRP: $30)
Amazon
Gamestop

Limited Edition (MSRP: $40)
Amazon
Gamestop

What's included?

• Soundtrack CD containing over 20 songs
  • 13-inch by 19.5-inch poster
  • 1.5-inch Bracer Guild replica metal badge

Other Bonuses:
Hey RPG lovers,

The "We Hear Your Insatiable Cries For Swag" Promotion Returns!

In celebration of our "The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky LE" we're having another pre-order drive (back by popular demand -- does your hunger for art books and soundtracks never end?!)! Not only are we opening it up to Amazon pre-orders and to people that already booked their pre-order before this announcement, but we've added some additional swag from the dark depths of our storage closet to select from (sorry, but still only to residents of the United States):

To qualify:
- Pre-order the Limited Edition version of "The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky" at Amazon.com, Gamestop.com or at your local GameStop store anytime before March 10, 2011 (Links on the left column).

- Forward a copy of your pre-order confirmation/receipt to [email protected] along with your mailing address and choice of ONE of the following items:

1. Ys SEVEN Soundtrack CD (as included in the LE version of Ys SEVEN)
  2. Ys: The Oath in Felghana Soundtrack CD (as included in the LE version of Ys Felghana)
  3. Ys Art Book (as included in the LE version of Ys SEVEN)
  4. Ys Cloth Map (as included in the LE version of Ys SEVEN)
  5. Ys 2011 Calendar (as included in the LE version of Ys Felghana)
  6. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony Soundtrack CD (as included in the LE version of Lunar: SSH)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hell Monkey']What does it mean First Chapter? (I already got it pre-ordered but wondering if Il'l hae to hold off playing it)[/QUOTE]

I just put it in there as it's a trilogy and it's how the japanese naming scheme went. Still have no idea how they're doing the naming scheme here, so it's more temporary than anything. Basically the naming scheme went:

Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki FC
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki SC
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the Third

FC is first chapter and SC is second chapter. It's clear they're not using that naming scheme. I'd guess they're going to do "Trails of the Sky" and then just add 2 and 3 to the next two games.

EDIT: Just to add a comment, each individual chapter are long games (like 50 hours a piece). So it's not like you're getting screwed buying it at release. However since the second chapter is still the largest PSP game in terms of size (2 UMD) and the game is pretty text heavy, we won't see the next game until 2012. I'd also recommend buying it early just to prove that it's not a waste to localize games that take a lot of time, effort and money. They've already got the english voice work done for all three games too.

EDIT 2: I forgot they used "the Third" for the third game, not TC.

From what I played of my import copy, I have to agree. Though it was one of the more difficult import games for me to play. Never did finish it (no english guides existed at the time I imported). Though from what I hear it should be one of the best RPGs this generation.

I just hope people don't downplay this game because of the Garghov Trilogy we got last time. Those were pretty piss poor ports from the PC version. Those three games could have been so much better.

I am so confused. Is this a turn-based RPG or is it something like Ys? I was under the impression it's the latter but reading more about it makes me think it's actually the former...

EDIT: Found Youtube videos that indicate it's turn-based. Can anyone elaborate on the specifics on combat?

Thanks folks. I was also wondering WHY you think it's an awesome game. I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'd like. I've been burnt on too many games lately....

My reason for wanting to play it is going to be a bit different than someone else. I made it through about 20 hours of the first game before I became frustrated due to my low reading level with Japanese text, which probably wasn't even halfway through the first game. I've had the game sitting on my shelf staring at me for years and I enjoyed what I played. A while back (2008?) I had heard that Falcom was in talks for localization of their games over here and I just simply waited it out. I thought about picking it up in the following years but more information kept popping up about Falcom and localizations, including that XSeed interview where they said they won't be doing this game because the amount of lines in each game is roughly 3 to 4 times more than say Final Fantasy 7. Your best bet is to probably ignore me because I've simply waited a really fucking long time to finish the game. However it won't stop me from recommending it to people.

Due to the large amount of lines in each game, the focus is mainly on delivering a fleshed out story. Since the second game is a continuation off of the first, I'm pretty sure the ending is a cliffhanger too. Gameplay is also improved over the series too, but it doesn't particularly make it bad in the first one either. 62t could probably explain it a bit better than I could as I think he's finished all three. Try reading the RPG Gamer interview and Gamespot Preview I linked above too. Should also help give you a better idea of what to expect.

Call me crazy, but I loved the first trilogy of games we got. Especially a Tear of Vermilion, which is one of my favorite JRPGs ever.

Yes, the translation was pretty awful, but c'mon, up to and including the PS1 era, we got terrible translations. But they're just so charming.

And in Bandai's defense, for when they came out, the US versions were unique is basically having no loading times despite pretty nice graphics (3d background and 2d sprites for the characters). The Japanese versions (at least the first) apparently had bad loading, but they fixed it for a US release. And they went and released all three games, even though the second one didn't sell well, and they all had color manuals.

Still, presumably this should be a lot better, as the game itself is more modern, Falcom themselves ported it to the PSP (not Bandai), and it's being translated by Xseed, who now apparently also includes a guy that used to post all the time in the original trilogy forums on Gamefaqs. So I know that clearly the end result will be a labor of love (indeed, probably the only reason Xseed is bringing it over).

I think they're ok as filler games, but they're very very average and not particularly interesting on the PSP. If you've played the PC version (import + english patch), you'll see that in comparison to the PSP version, it's leaps and bounds better without question. It's like apples and oranges with how the PSP and PC versions are.

And yeah, Wydwrd or whatever his/her name was is a very large Falcom fanboy. It's likely Wyrd we have to thank for getting the game localized here as he's now an XSeed translator.

Because I don't do short hand in topic names. ;(

It has it in the tags though... kinda.

EDIT: There. I oh so creatively indulged your desire. :p

Well it releases next week. I figured I'd throw out one of the more popular music tracks in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODjj64QFV2g

That track received an updated version for the sequel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggUmboz_kiE

And here is the Super Arrange version with dub (Japanese):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHVVj0aWJs

And then the pure instrumental version of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEdcvvRX7iY

Though I'm guessing I'm one of only a handful of people on this site that's pretty damn excited about playing this game in english. Either that or I scare people away when I post. :whistle2:#

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this game. This should fall under the radar as one of the better RPGs this generation for pretty much everybody that enjoys JRPGs.

EDIT: Apparently I missed them releasing an english trailer last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfSK9ZkDhY

Still no reviews yet. Though not too surprising since it just went gold last week and the translation was finished a few weeks before that. Plus this game is a lot longer than most games these days, including other RPGs. Also NeoGAF has a rather impressive thread on it that I don't feel like cloning to that extent.

Here's someone doing a run through of the gameplay mechanics from the an archived live stream that took place the other day for those who are on the fence or want to know more about the game mechanics:

http://www.justin.tv/sanctuarycrew/b/282327416

They say that they are trying to avoid spoilers by picking neutral places in the story, but I cannot completely guarantee it as I'm not going to watch all four hours of it.

Oh and to anyone who plans on using an online guide for this game. Beware of any established Wikis or Japanese sites for information. They can contain major plot spoilers or twists that may be in any part of the trilogy and ruin the story for most people. I'd also beware of GameFAQs, but that is of course usual knowledge. The game has been out for years in Japan, so this shouldn't be too surprising, but after hearing someone else mention it I felt I should briefly mention it too.

up my gamefly count to 2 at a time.. game ships out tomorrow so i should have it in hand FRIDAY (maybe thursday or even saturday) either way hopefully by weeks end... amazon wouldnt get it to me until FRIDAY so gamefly was the same time

also gamefly KEEP IT NOW 22.49 a lot better then amazon 28.99 price and since im the first to play it , its now so gamefly was around 5 bucks cheaper ...and i have 5 gamefly bucks that expire april 18 so it will knock it down to 17.49 :) :)

I don't think mine will arrive until Wednesday or Thursday through Amazon. I managed to score this for $4.99 with overnight shipping and gift cards/credit. Wish I could get it faster without buying digitally or Gamestop.

Weird. So it shows as 1-3 weeks now on Amazon if you view the item itself, mine is pre-ordered but nothing has happened with actually 2 day shipping.

[quote name='2DMention']Mine says "Shipping soon"

When did you pre-order Monkey? I preordered over a month ago.[/QUOTE]

Feb 26th.

I called and chewed them out when they gave me some stuff about it depends on stock level and when they get to ship it. I told them I guess pre-orders from Amazon mean nothing and they don't want the remaining 12 orders I have scheduled in the next 4 months.

I'm now at free overnight shipping and coming April 1st (which means they still aren't shipping until March 31st)

Mine will be here on the 1st too. Cant wait :)

delivery date changed to march 31. even better :D

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So do I have to finally play LoH 1-3 for this one to make sense?[/QUOTE]

Negative. Those were part of the Gagharv Trilogy and were terrible remakes by Namco Bandai of the original Falcom versions. Trails in the Sky is entirely in its own story, which this is the first game of its series. XSeed has already done voices for all three of the games in Trials in the Sky, so we'll see all three at some point or another. Unfortunately though it'll take a while for them to fully localize it due to the games very large script.

EDIT: I always spell Gagharv incorrectly. -_-

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Weird. So it shows as 1-3 weeks now on Amazon if you view the item itself, mine is pre-ordered but nothing has happened with actually 2 day shipping.[/QUOTE]

99% of the games say that on release day its a computer glitch.. they usually fix it later in the day ...

i should have my Via gamefly for 22.49 thursday (did keep it now as soon as it shipped)

[quote name='slidecage']99% of the games say that on release day its a computer glitch.. they usually fix it later in the day ...
[/QUOTE]

Well Akbar or whomever was taking to me kept giving me canned cut and paste answers, why I gave them hell over it. Still it got overnighted now, so will be there when get home.

Well Akbar or whomever was taking to me kept giving me canned cut and paste answers, why I gave them hell over it. Still it got overnighted now, so will be there when get home.
That's racist.

Mine shows it'll arrive tomorrow too. I wonder if it'll require a firmware update to play?

Can't wait to play with TitS

[quote name='2DMention']That's racist.

Mine shows it'll arrive tomorrow too. I wonder if it'll require a firmware update to play?[/QUOTE]

What is racist about this? (insulting as I called him a slack faced fish person who only uttered one memorable line though his was "Pre-orders do not guaranty the product is available" but not racist)
draft_lens8533701module74070721photo_1260937650admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap

It takse firmware 6.35 I believe (3rd Birthday takes 6.37)

[quote name='Draekon']Negative. Those were part of the Gagharv Trilogy and were terrible remakes by Namco Bandai of the original Falcom versions. Trails in the Sky is entirely in its own story, which this is the first game of its series. XSeed has already done voices for all three of the games in Trials in the Sky, so we'll see all three at some point or another. Unfortunately though it'll take a while for them to fully localize it due to the games very large script.

EDIT: I always spell Gagharv incorrectly. -_-[/QUOTE]

I don't see what was terrible about them. I enjoyed them all, especially the story and graphics. Gameplay is very basic, but gets the job done.

My copy should arrive tomorrow :) I should be finishing Mass Effect 2 tonight, so I will be able to start tomorrow.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I don't see what was terrible about them. I enjoyed them all, especially the story and graphics. Gameplay is very basic, but gets the job done.

My copy should arrive tomorrow :) I should be finishing Mass Effect 2 tonight, so I will be able to start tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I should probably correct myself a little. When compared to the originals, the Namco-Bandai (Though I guess it's really Microvision) remake falls flat on its face and dragged across the pavement. Otherwise it's sub-par filler. Doesn't do anything particularly interesting, new or overly enjoyable. It's not something you really notice unless you play the original PC version.

You should be able to understand somewhat after you play through this game. There's just so much more to Legend of Heroes that you don't really see with just those three remakes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If this game sucks I am sending a bill for $28.99 directly to Draekon. Will go to small claims court if I have to.[/QUOTE]

I say we make it a class action suit, everyone in the thread jumps on it.

bread's done
Back