* * * * * 4 votes

Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

#3601 kdiddy1989   2011 NBA Champions CAGiversary!   1277 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

On my Lumia 521, something under 'System' in my storage is taking 4.83 GB and leaving me with zero free space. On my phone memory it's 2.14GB apps+games and the rest is System.

I was trying to get Halo Spartan Assault and this happened. Here's the weird part...I deleted a couple games, all my messages and pictures that are not on the SD card and the system simply used up all the space I freed up. I can't delete any of it either because it gives me the message "These files make your phone work. You don't want to delete them. Trust us." Bit of a weird message and I can't even see WHY all that memory is being used.

Anyone else know of this issue? I've only had my Lumia since January so not exactly the most experienced with it.

4ec5ccaa-5f05-42ab-bf25-403499b91b10_zps

and Dirk Nowitzki. After watching the 2011 Finals, I refuse to believe he's human. - Groo the Wanderer

#3602 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8904 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Raiden X review: An unpolished (but free) Japanese-style shoot-em-up

Unlicensed Drop 7 clone masquerades as an Xbox WP game

Titanfall finally lands on Xbox 360; Kinect Sports Rivals arrives on Xbox One (my weekly console releases column)

Kdiddy, no idea how to fix that issue you're having. You should contact support and do some web searches to see if it's a common problem.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Streaming games and giving out prizes every Saturday, plus random midweek streams!

#3603 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Wow! No red stripe deals today? Bummer!

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

845169.pngcard.png

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#3604 chupon  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Wow! No red stripe deals today? Bummer!

http://www.windowsph...28-3b57f2b4732f

No idea on win 8 yet

#3605 DrUnkAgAIn   I like money. CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

DrUnkAgAIn

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Great, the game that launched at 99 cents then mysteriously rose to $4.99 is now the Red Stripe deal at $1.99.

The only Xbox game I'm waiting on deal for right now is Final Fantasy III. After that, I don't think there's anything else I want unless the Live games suddenly start coming out in droves for some reason.

#3606 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

http://www.windowsph...28-3b57f2b4732f

No idea on win 8 yet

Bah! 1 Gig game, that's why I couldn't see it. Thanks for the info.

845169.pngcard.png

#3607 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Bah! 1 Gig game, that's why I couldn't see it. Thanks for the info.

Weird. Asphalt 7 Heat appeared on my phone today. I guess they changed the requirements and it's a 512 MB game now.

845169.pngcard.png

#3608 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8904 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Weird. Asphalt 7 Heat appeared on my phone today. I guess they changed the requirements and it's a 512 MB game now.

Yeah, it's been 512 GB for a while. Two broken Achievements since the last update though.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Streaming games and giving out prizes every Saturday, plus random midweek streams!

#3609 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

Yeah, it's been 512 GB for a while. Two broken Achievements since the last update though.

I guess I never noticed it. I steer clear of racing games anyway. *rimshot*

845169.pngcard.png

#3610 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

CORTANA!

I'm not liking that my games are outside the game section and there is no Xbox section in Marketplace anymore. I'll read the articles on WPCentral later tonight and check for a fix.

This Week on YouTube: TBA *** This Week on Twitch: Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)
Gamertag: Bob101910 RFP (FIXED)

Help Get FCIP Backwards Compatible!  Typing of the Dead Street Fighter Custom Dictionary!

#3611 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

CORTANA!

I'm not liking that my games are outside the game section and there is no Xbox section in Marketplace anymore. I'll read the articles on WPCentral later tonight and check for a fix.

Are they rolling 8.1 out already? Or did you get early access as a developer?

845169.pngcard.png

#3612 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8904 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Are they rolling 8.1 out already? Or did you get early access as a developer?

It's available through the Preview for Developers program, which anyone (including my entire family) can easily get into.

Here's a rare non-gaming article I wrote on 8.1's search feature:

How to find anything on your phone with Windows Phone 8.1

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#3613 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

The seems faster joke has been going around WPCentral for way too long, but 8.1 seems slower to me. After spending a day with it, I'll have to adjust. Games in the app section make opening apps take a little bit longer. Games section doesn't load games instantly and recent games are gone. Power tiles is broke :(

I'll be able to get used to the changes and some will get fixed over time (I hope). Overall I like the update. I might even learn how to get my apps published to Marketplace.

I found the Xbox section in the Marketplace at least :)

EDIT: I'd add this to the good category, my phone feels new and fresh. It feels like a stranger. I don't think a phone update has ever felt like this before. Closest I can compare it to is switching from WP7 to WP8 without buying a new device. Even touching the screen feels different. Maybe somebody replaced my phone when I wasn't looking.

This Week on YouTube: TBA *** This Week on Twitch: Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)

Help Get FCIP Backwards Compatible!  Typing of the Dead Street Fighter Custom Dictionary!

#3614 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

The 8.1 update is amazing. I no longer have regret for changing from Android. All the stuff I miss is there now.

#3615 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3061 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

I was initially upset about having to wait until midnight to update (thanks to my data cap), but now I'm grateful because it gave me a chance to read the reactions from various people. I never use Xbox Music, so I'm not terribly upset about that, but the way they screwed up Games is a huge drawback for me. I personally really enjoyed the live tile, but more importantly, I liked having my games separate from my apps. I've probably got over 50 games; adding them to my apps list will create a huge mess for me. That's one of the things I hate most about my Android tablet. Until they fix that, I'm not going to bother with updating.

#3616 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8904 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

I was initially upset about having to wait until midnight to update (thanks to my data cap), but now I'm grateful because it gave me a chance to read the reactions from various people. I never use Xbox Music, so I'm not terribly upset about that, but the way they screwed up Games is a huge drawback for me. I personally really enjoyed the live tile, but more importantly, I liked having my games separate from my apps. I've probably got over 50 games; adding them to my apps list will create a huge mess for me. That's one of the things I hate most about my Android tablet. Until they fix that, I'm not going to bother with updating.

Although mixing games in with apps does suck, I'm fine with jumping to apps by letter (as I've always done) or just searching for them. But from a gaming perspective, the downside of clogging up the Apps list is made up for by separate volume controls. At least we can keep our games at a reasonable volume without screwing up the phone's ringer! Guess I'm a little biased since I've been pushing for that feature for so long.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#3617 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3061 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, I remember that being something you wanted on the platform. It's a useful feature, but I've never cared one way or the other so that's not really enough to sway me. What does appeal to me, however, is finally having a way to backup savegames although it's currently less than ideal (but at least it's something!). But I don't even have any gamesaves on my new phone yet, so I can still hold off on updating for now. I'll admit that it is still tempting, though, even if I'm not entirely satisfied with what I've heard so far.

#3618 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   35955 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Any negatives that would make me not want to try 8.1?

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#3619 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3061 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

It really depends on what you consider to be a negative. Aside from games being merged with apps, they apparently also removed the Recent Games section. I've heard that the live tile also doesn't work anymore, but that may just be a temporary thing.

It sounds like Xbox Music is actually a fair bit worse than it was. People have been reporting lag, no more live tile, no more display on the lock screen, rewind/forward being changed to 10-second jumps, no control over metadata access, and various stability issues. Some of this stuff is being worked on, but I don't exactly which aspects are going to be fixed. For what it's worth Rudy Huyn is working on a music app for the non-Nokia folks, which will most likely be better than the official one (perhaps the Nokia one as well); he has a great track record so far.

Some people have had problems with Cortana working, but it sounds like that has mostly been sorted out.

Shortcuts aren't as good as we had hoped. Turning on WiFi works as expected, but turning it off takes you to the settings. There currently isn't a shortcut for data, which is what I kinda thought was the kinda the point of having these shortcuts.

It looks like you can no longer access the text/barcode/QR scanner through Bing and must now go through the camera. This is another one that bugs me quite a bit.

The screenshot buttons have been changed. I've actually only used the feature once so far, so it's not an issue for me, but I imagine it might be annoying to memorize a new button combination.

Facebook and Twitter integration is now gone.

When a background is set, having a blank space with no tile will leave a black square instead of showing your background.

When using data, you have to either disable WiFi or pull down the Notification Center to see whether or not you are using 4G.

For some reason, you have to go into the settings to enable the comma on the keyboard. Not a big deal but still kinda weird.

Quite a few people have stated that their battery life has suffered significantly since updating.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. 8.1 has a lot of awesome features, but they also made a lot of questionable changes that make me reluctant to update. But hey, it has only been available for a day, so there is a chance that many of these things will be fixed before the general release. I certainly hope so because I was so excited about updating, but I'm not ready to sacrifice some of the features/aspects that I currently enjoy.

#3620 ohmz   Frequency Ass Bandit CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

The seems faster joke has been going around WPCentral for way too long, but 8.1 seems slower to me. After spending a day with it, I'll have to adjust. Games in the app section make opening apps take a little bit longer. Games section doesn't load games instantly and recent games are gone. Power tiles is broke :(

I notied that my phone boots much faster after the update.

It sounds like Xbox Music is actually a fair bit worse than it was. People have been reporting lag, no more live tile, no more display on the lock screen, rewind/forward being changed to 10-second jumps, no control over metadata access, and various stability issues. Some of this stuff is being worked on, but I don't exactly which aspects are going to be fixed. For what it's worth Rudy Huyn is working on a music app for the non-Nokia folks, which will most likely be better than the official one (perhaps the Nokia one as well); he has a great track record so far.

What's the Nokia one?

#3621 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7210 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

I'm sure there are pros and cons to 8.1 but I needed the ability to move games onto the SD card as my phone was constantly running out of memory, so update I did.

It's nice finally being able to assign a custom sound to text messages as well.

EDIT - Also I see they've split Podcasts into it's own App which is great for me because that's all I used to use Xbox Music for, so the changes they've made to that don't bother me as I won't use it.

So far the pro's are outweighing the cons on 8.1

OuN33jx.png

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#3622 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

We've had this for awhile :)

I'm really enjoying IE. Feels a lot faster. Unlimited tabs, new video players, sharing tabs with PC, etc.

However I'm not liking that back button closes a tab. I'm used to going on a mews site, open link in new tab, then pressing back button to return quickly. Once I have all stories opened that I want, I would go through them. Opened about 5 today and sadly found out they did not stay open :(

(I didn't mean to put mews site. Supposed to be news, but I can't edit chat box anymore from my phone without deleting everything afterwards)

#3623 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3061 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

What's the Nokia one?

Oops, looks like I was mistaken. I thought there was a Nokia Music app, but I guess I was just thinking of Nokia MixRadio.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to 8.1 but I needed the ability to move games onto the SD card as my phone was constantly running out of memory, so update I did.

Yeah, that is definitely a huge improvement to the platform. I got the 32GB version of the 1520 but I'm already down to 9 GB, so I'll likely need to use the SD slot in the very near future.

That was already a feature. Or at least it has been since I started using my new phone.

#3624 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7210 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

That was already a feature. Or at least it has been since I started using my new phone.

Ahh ok, might be that I'd just never found it until now :)

There is a problem with the camera on my Ativ-S after the update by luckily I don't use it that much.

OuN33jx.png

#3625 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

That has been the main reason I've been looking forward to 8.1. I will need to finish up a couple of games before I update though because I don't trust the update to not screw up my saved games.

845169.pngcard.png

#3626 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7210 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

That has been the main reason I've been looking forward to 8.1. I will need to finish up a couple of games before I update though because I don't trust the update to not screw up my saved games.

I can tell you it didn't screw up my Angry Birds Space save, but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if it had, just moved onto one of the other 8 versions of the game.

Also if you move games from the phone to the SD using Storage Sense it specifically notes the size of the save file, hence I guess you can be fairly sure it's being moved with the game.

OuN33jx.png

#3627 h2dk  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Couple pros for me, both on the home screen:  adding a third column and the option to have a background picture.  Makes it look like a brand new phone (Lumia 920)

#3628 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   3213 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

FREE GAMES* (I love WPCentral)

"Asphalt 7: Heat – Launched at 99 cents, but now regularly sells for $4.99.

• Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles – Launched at $6.99, but now regularly sells for $4.99.
  • Brain Challenge – Regularly an insane $4.99. Free might still be too expensive for this one.
  • Earthworm Jim – Launched at $4.99 but dropped to 99 cents.
  • Let’s Golf 2 – Regularly $4.99.
  • Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour – Regularly $6.99. Modern Combat 4, N.O.V.A. 3, and Order & Chaos don't run on the Lumia 625 since it only has 512 MB of RAM.
  • N.O.V.A. 3 – Regularly $6.99.
  • Order & Chaos Online – Regularly $6.99. Amusingly/annoyingly, this particular game doesn’t run properly on the Lumia 1520, one of the phones it’s being given away on. The inventory graphics glitch severely, making the game all but unplayable.
  • Shark Dash – Regularly 99 cents." - Paul Acevedo 

My own opinions now of the ones I've played,

Assassin's Creed - Took awhile to grow on me. Once you get used to the controls, it is fun.

Earthworm Jim - I didn't enjoy this game at all

Order & Chaos Online - I really wanted to get into this game, but I can barely touch my phone while playing it because it gets so hot. I've been told not to worry about it, but I do to the point that I can't play it.

I'm pretty sure Brain Challenge has at least one glitched achievement. I'm not sure about the others.

* For Nokia Lumia 625, Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1320, Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 1520

#3629 nCogNeato   "Mr Neato" if you're nasty CAGiversary!   991 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

FREE GAMES* (I love WPCentral)

"Asphalt 7: Heat – Launched at 99 cents, but now regularly sells for $4.99.

• Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles – Launched at $6.99, but now regularly sells for $4.99.
  • Brain Challenge – Regularly an insane $4.99. Free might still be too expensive for this one.
  • Earthworm Jim – Launched at $4.99 but dropped to 99 cents.
  • Let’s Golf 2 – Regularly $4.99.
  • Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour – Regularly $6.99. Modern Combat 4, N.O.V.A. 3, and Order & Chaos don't run on the Lumia 625 since it only has 512 MB of RAM.
  • N.O.V.A. 3 – Regularly $6.99.
  • Order & Chaos Online – Regularly $6.99. Amusingly/annoyingly, this particular game doesn’t run properly on the Lumia 1520, one of the phones it’s being given away on. The inventory graphics glitch severely, making the game all but unplayable.
  • Shark Dash – Regularly 99 cents." - Paul Acevedo 

My own opinions now of the ones I've played,

Assassin's Creed - Took awhile to grow on me. Once you get used to the controls, it is fun.

Earthworm Jim - I didn't enjoy this game at all

Order & Chaos Online - I really wanted to get into this game, but I can barely touch my phone while playing it because it gets so hot. I've been told not to worry about it, but I do to the point that I can't play it.

I'm pretty sure Brain Challenge has at least one glitched achievement. I'm not sure about the others.

* For Nokia Lumia 625, Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1320, Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 1520

Nice!

I already own most of them, but still a huge win to get a few freebies.  Here's hoping Order & Chaos get an update to work with the 1520 at some point. 

ps.  Here are the direct links (US) to the free versions for those having trouble finding them.

Asphalt 7: Heat

Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles

Brain Challenge

Earthworm Jim

Let’s Golf 2

Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour

N.O.V.A. 3

Order & Chaos Online

Shark Dash

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3630 ooga   Mmm Zombie Chickens! CAGiversary!   2562 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

No freebies for my poor little 521. Oh well....

Red Stripe deal for WP is Carcassone....again! I am hoping Win8 doesn't get a repeat. I would love 4 Elements II , Keflings, or Royal Envoy. Anything really besides the stuff they keep recycling.

845169.pngcard.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wp7, wp8, windows phone, windows 8, windows rt, xbox live, red stripe deals