3DS - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Discussion Thread - Master Quest Included!

utopianmachine

Nintendo Fangirl
Feedback
241 (100%)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Release Date: 2011
MSRP: You know it'll be $39.99. And worth every cent.

[One day we'll have awesome boxart right here. Right here, yo.]

If you haven't played Ocarina of Time, you'll soon be able to correct this aberrant foible and enjoy it on Ninty's minty 3DS. OoT is considered among the greatest games of the Nintendo 64's library, and it's easily among the best of the Zelda series.

It has been confirmed that the 3DS version of the game will also include Master Quest. From Game Informer: "The Ocarina of Time Master Quest features the same plot and general progression as the regular game, but all of the dungeons have been reworked with harder puzzles. Previously the OoT Master Quest was only available in North America as a pre-order bonus for Gamecube's The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...arina-of-time-3d-to-include-master-quest.aspx

Also, I think it's worth linking here the picture that 62t links a bit down the page. Feast your eyes on an awesome comparison shot of the graphics of the original Nintendo 64 version of the game and the upcoming 3DS remake.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8840/n64vs3dsbizzare.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So one guy said it so Master Quest is in it? I'll wait for more confirmation (not that I'd ever play that version anyway). Seems like Nintendo would have to do alot of work to 3D that Master Quest. Since it's different in layout from OoT.

Hahaha, just posted about this in the 3ds thread without seeing this thread existed. Sooooo fucking hype right now!

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Is Master Quest a preorder bonus/first run bonus? Or is it built in like Ys I & II? It just says that it's a bonus.[/QUOTE]

I would say that it's being presented as something which is included in the game to begin with, not as a preorder bonus.

Sweeeet, like candy.

Where did the comparison image come from? That almost looks too good for Nintendo's usually lazy approach to remakes...

[quote name='rlse9']Where did the comparison image come from? That almost looks too good for Nintendo's usually lazy approach to remakes...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo actually put a decent amount of effort on their GBA ports. LttP got four swords mode and new dungeon, Mario Bros 3 and Yoshi Island got new stages.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm so blown away by that. I think I may have to buy this game day 1 now. I mean, I was already going to likely be buying it day 1, but now...wow.[/QUOTE]

I just saw the picture and was blown away too, I really can't wait. Next week at a semi-local GS a Nintendo REP told me she was going to hold an event for people that have Pre-Ordered the system.

[quote name='blueweltall']Gold cartridge, that is the only thing left...[/QUOTE]

For 1st run, like OoT (I miss my Gold OoT. It got lost and I could only find a grey cart at GS at the time)

Looks really nice. I'll be shocked if the game is improved as much overall as that comparison pic will lead you to believe. OoT is amazing and I haven't played it in a few years so it will be fun to revisit. However, it's still not enough to convince me to spend $300 on this thing. I will get one eventually but I can wait a year or two until there are more AAA games released or the 3DSi comes out or whatever the inevitable redesign will be called... I still have way too many DS games to play through. I do want to try one out to see the 3D effects though...

Those screenshots look nice but they don't look as nice as I think a remake should look. I feel like Twilight Princess still had better graphics. This reminds me more of the HD re-releases we've seen on PSN. They're pretty but not enough to warrant a repurchase/replay through again.

I might feel differently seeing it in action, with it's (likely) improved draw distance and better frame rate in addition to all the touch-ups. I'm just not convinced it's worth $40, I'd rather have a new game.

That, and OoT still holds up graphically. The worst part about it are the jagged edges and the flat 2D fences, etc, and all of that seems present in the 3DS version - the enemies and models have a higher polygon count, no doubt, but the environments themselves needed the most work and look the least improved.

[quote name='johnnypark']Those screenshots look nice but they don't look as nice as I think a remake should look. I feel like Twilight Princess still had better graphics. This reminds me more of the HD re-releases we've seen on PSN. They're pretty but not enough to warrant a repurchase/replay through again.

I might feel differently seeing it in action, with it's (likely) improved draw distance and better frame rate in addition to all the touch-ups. I'm just not convinced it's worth $40, I'd rather have a new game.

That, and OoT still holds up graphically. The worst part about it are the jagged edges and the flat 2D fences, etc, and all of that seems present in the 3DS version - the enemies and models have a higher polygon count, no doubt, but the environments themselves needed the most work and look the least improved.[/QUOTE]

Are we now comparing the Gamecube to the 3DS? I didn't think it had that much power.

And for something as simple as fences and plants, if it was mapped as 3D, I would say the DS would crawl to a stop. Even games released with much more poweress use simple tricks to not make a Crysis...

With the Master quest built it, I think it's a warranted game to "rebuy". Hell it's portable, which is a feature no one ever had before.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Here are more comparisons of the screenshots revealed so far:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26338514&postcount=456[/QUOTE]

Wow, those are incredible.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yep, I wanna have sex with the game now. If it has more dungeons, I'll marry it[/QUOTE]

You're my hero. :applause:

[quote name='xycury']With the Master quest built it, I think it's a warranted game to "rebuy". Hell it's portable, which is a feature no one ever had before.[/QUOTE]

I owned Ocarina of Time on my first Wii, and while I played it for a few hours, I didn't get too far in. I remember really liking it.

But personally, giving my gaming habits, I'm FAR more likely to play through the game on 3DS. And considering I've never really played it, this has become a must-have.

Damn those comparison screens are nice, the game really does look noticeably better on 3DS. I am super pumped for this game, too bad I won't have it to play at launch. In fact, it will probably be the first 3DS game I buy and it might not come out until at least June!!!

Hell, I'd even take mini games. My friend played more of the mini games in Mario 64DS than the actual game, lol. Shooting gallery/bombchu gallery with gyroscope optional gyroscope controls, multiplayer horse racing, even a "slash objects with stylus" like on cell phones...

I think Master Quest makes it a better buy, but not enough to make me buy it because I have Master Quest on GC. I'll wait to hear what this additional content is to decide if I'll buy it or not.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']The biggest question for me is whether Navi is as annoying as she was in the original.[/QUOTE]

This is the right idea right here ^^^. I am absolutely going to buy this game on day 1. This is most likely going to be the first 3ds game I buy despite getting a 3ds at launch. If they could somehow make it so I wouldn't want to stuff Navi into a bottle and chuck it over a cliff I would consider getting a 2nd copy.

[quote name='0_0']probably crappy touch min igames[/QUOTE]

if they do have touch mini games and they are as good as super mario 64 ds's touch mini games, then it will be even better.

I never played through Master Quest so right there alone it's worth $40. fuck, this is OOT, it's worth $100+ to me in reality. OOT is my favorite Zelda game and my fourth favorite game of all time.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I never played through Master Quest so right there alone it's worth $40. fuck, this is OOT, it's worth $100+ to me in reality. OOT is my favorite Zelda game and my fourth favorite game of all time.[/QUOTE]

Off Topic...

What are your top 3 favorite games?

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Why cant this be a launch title!!!!!!!!! This alone justifies my 3ds purchase IMO and I hope we see MM #3D remake also.[/QUOTE]

Because then it would overshadow all of the third parties, and they'd bitch at Nintendo, thus whining why they don't get sales.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Off Topic...

What are your top 3 favorite games?[/QUOTE]

1. Super Mario Bros 3.
2. Sonic 2 (Genesis)
3. Megaman IV

This game is the main reason why I preordered a 3DS. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time and I honestly (and embarrassingly) have a strong emotional connection to this game. The 3DS could have been $400 and a copy of this game could cost $200 and I would still buy it with a smile on my face, credit card debt and all.

This is probably my most anticipated game this year too, and it is a game I've beaten 10+ times.

I love how OoT looks, I will def get it day one, but I am alittle upset about alot of the 'darkness' in boss areas seems to be gone. It seems alot brighter all around in the game. Seems like the lighting effects are also absent a bit.. Hmm

My favorite Zelda is ALttP, but OoT ranks up up there probably tied with WW. I havn't played it in years though, I have that ITCH.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']My favorite Zelda is ALttP, but OoT ranks up up there probably tied with WW. I havn't played it in years though, I have that ITCH.[/QUOTE]

I share your sentiment....and although I've never missed a Nintendo hardware launch, I've sat this one out. But the minute this is in stores will probably be my breaking point, even if the 3d is not up to standards, the game alone is worth it.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']This game is the main reason why I preordered a 3DS. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time and I honestly (and embarrassingly) have a strong emotional connection to this game. The 3DS could have been $400 and a copy of this game could cost $200 and I would still buy it with a smile on my face, credit card debt and all.

This is probably my most anticipated game this year too, and it is a game I've beaten 10+ times.[/QUOTE]

Damn you beat me, I only beat Ocarina of Time 7 times lol. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time and was the reason why I bought a 3DS. I am typing this as I stare at my Ocarina of Time poster hanging up and just reminiscing about beating this game for the first time in 5th grade and how much joy it brought into my life. Damn I can't wait for this to be released!!!!!!

This game may push me to buy a 3ds for sure. I had it on the n64 and some how I never finished it. I got far then took a break as I often do from long rpgs, then I forgot what or where I was supposed to go and ran around aimlessly then stopped playing ha.

Ocarina of Time was probably one of the first games to ever have a 'you're stuck? Do this to get a hint as to what to do next' idea with Saria's Song. That game was way ahead of its' time in terms of design.

[quote name='KingBroly']Ocarina of Time was probably one of the first games to ever have a 'you're stuck? Do this to get a hint as to what to do next' idea with Saria's Song. That game was way ahead of its' time in terms of design.[/QUOTE]

Even the original LoZ had in-game tips all over the place in case you got stuck. In fact, not 10 minutes ago I wasted a key in Level 5 to find out "Digdogger hates certain kind of sound." DUDE I KNOW CAN I HAVE MY KEY BACK????

My favorite though: "Spectacle Rock is the entrance to DEATH."

Ohhhh indeed. I just went through LoZ:OoT not too long ago.

Can't wait for this re-up. inFamous 2 the same day too. Jeez

bread's done
Back