Donkey Kong Country Returns - $40 at Target

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Been wanting this, and price drops on Nintendo licensed games rarely happen.......so may have to bite on $40.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo-developed games rarely drop, but Nintendo-published games often do. Considering this is another Retro gem, I feel like it'll drop to the $20-$30 range eventually.

[quote name='therocky2']Was it just me, or was this game a huge disappointment?[/QUOTE]

It got great reviews and sold pretty well. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

[quote name='therocky2']Was it just me, or was this game a huge disappointment?[/QUOTE]

as a donkey kong country fan myself; i REALLY wasn't feeling it.

If nobody beats me to it, I'll check to see if it's in store as well after work tomorrow.

Also, if you have a Target Red Card (5% every purchase), that's an additional ~$2 off the price as well.

[quote name='FireWarrior']It got great reviews and sold pretty well. I'm not sure what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because I played the originals DKCs as a kid, but I didn't really enjoy the new one. I didn't like the diddy on donkey mechanic, and I really didn't like the quasi-motion controls or whatever you describe them as. To each his own, maybe I'm the only one who didn't enjoy it.

[quote name='therocky2']Maybe because I played the originals DKCs as a kid, but I didn't really enjoy the new one. I didn't like the diddy on donkey mechanic, and I really didn't like the quasi-motion controls or whatever you describe them as. To each his own, maybe I'm the only one who didn't enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

The game is pretty great and looks amazing. But you're right about the motion controls -- they suck and are totally pointless. It's like they had some contractual obligation to include motion controls and just threw them in. If you stop playing for a while and come back to it, you'll be totally lost in how to control this game.

[quote name='Camwi']Nintendo-developed games rarely drop, but Nintendo-published games often do. Considering this is another Retro gem, I feel like it'll drop to the $20-$30 range eventually.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo owns Retro Studios. They're a first party developer.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I also think it's been $35-36 before (maybe a Newegg price match?)[/QUOTE]
yeah, sold out at that price

amazon never matched :( should've grabbed it while i had the chance

[quote name='Kaijufan']Nintendo owns Retro Studios. They're a first party developer.[/QUOTE]

Your point being..?

[quote name='Camwi']Your point being..?[/QUOTE]

Poster probably doubts the $20-30 remark, and I have my doubts also. But what are we, Cheap Ass Michael Pachters?

[quote name='Newl']yeah, sold out at that price

amazon never matched :( should've grabbed it while i had the chance[/QUOTE]
Newegg had it for $35, and right before they sold out Amazon matched them.

It's a great game, you just have to realize that it's going to be difficult.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Poster probably doubts the $20-30 remark, and I have my doubts also. But what are we, Cheap Ass Michael Pachters?[/QUOTE]

Pachter's a hack. But yes, I'd say that being obsessed with game prices for so long has given me a good feel for what games will drop and what games won't, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that feels that way.

I could be wrong about DKCR of course, but considering the Metroid Prime games all dropped to $20 eventually (the collection being the exception), I'd guess that it'll eventually drop, too.

[quote name='Decker']The game is pretty great and looks amazing. But you're right about the motion controls -- they suck and are totally pointless. It's like they had some contractual obligation to include motion controls and just threw them in. If you stop playing for a while and come back to it, you'll be totally lost in how to control this game.[/QUOTE]

As a huge fan of the original DKCs (own them all on the GBA, the SNES original cartridges, have them on my PSPGo, Wii, etc.), the motion controls were the ONLY thing I felt sucked about the game. The only one that really made sense was moving the Wiimote/Nunchuk up and down like a bike to keep running at full speed on Rambi. The ground pound was ok, I guess.

But if you pass up this game because of the minimally used (well, until you start 100% collecting puzzle pieces/etc.) motion controls, then you aren't a DKC fan. The platforming felt right, the game was difficult but never cheap, and its absolutely gorgeous and fun. My only other gripe is the music isn't as good as the originals.

I paid 40 for it. I'm still trying to get 200%. Plenty of value here.

[quote name='FireWarrior']can anyone confirm about this being in store as well?[/QUOTE]

To answer this question, I don't believe it is (I did check after work today). I was under the assumption that temporary price cuts were in all stores for some reason, but asking one of the LODs (and her asking somebody as well), they think it may vary in stores but they're not positive one way or the other. So it appears like it may be online only, but if it is in store, would be YMMV.

Also, this is for the Hagerstown store for those curious.

probably the classic mentality that a lot of people share about most everything:

older = better. newer = absolutley awful, they should go back to the old ones. not trying to knock the opinion, but it's pretty much the way a ton of people feel no matter what you're talking about. ask somebody if they like new or old family guy. the first austin powers or the last. ask which madden game is their favorite. how about people who like ps2 and dislike ps3? what about people who like the 80's nba (or any sport) better than now?

people like the old simply because its old.

[quote name='Drclaw411']probably the classic mentality that a lot of people share about most everything:

older = better. newer = absolutley awful, they should go back to the old ones. not trying to knock the opinion, but it's pretty much the way a ton of people feel no matter what you're talking about. ask somebody if they like new or old family guy. the first austin powers or the last. ask which madden game is their favorite. how about people who like ps2 and dislike ps3? what about people who like the 80's nba (or any sport) better than now?

people like the old simply because its old.[/QUOTE]

I agree because I've played the old ones, I have preconceived notions about what a DKC game should be. But I don't think that newer is necessarily bad. I don't appreciate the motion controls, but maybe you do (which is fine). Either way there is no reason they couldn't have programmed classic controller support. That would have taken what, an extra few days? Just saying the game wasn't worth the $44 I paid on launch.

[quote name='therocky2']I agree because I've played the old ones, I have preconceived notions about what a DKC game should be. But I don't think that newer is necessarily bad. I don't appreciate the motion controls, but maybe you do (which is fine). Either way there is no reason they couldn't have programmed classic controller support. That would have taken what, an extra few days? Just saying the game wasn't worth the $44 I paid on launch.[/QUOTE]

I don't own it yet, but I've been watching it like crazy because I want it very badly, but want it to be $30 or less. Haven't found that yet.

Having said that, i agree with you that the motion controls with it is an idea that I'm not happy about. I've heard a lot about the game and tried it a couple times for a level or two, and to get those trophies or medals or whatever would be a complete workout with the control scheme, and if it's anything like New Super Mario Bros is imprecise to boot.

On the flip side, I recently got DKC3 for the GBA because that is the one SNES games I never owned and I wanted to play through it again (I did rent and beat it once), and I remember why I didn't own it. Fetch quests and a map that you're just supposed to tool around on until you find the next thing does not make a great game.

[quote name='goatdan']I don't own it yet, but I've been watching it like crazy because I want it very badly, but want it to be $30 or less. Haven't found that yet.[/QUOTE]

You should check goHastings.com.
Currently $35.88 and would be a nice deal if you have a local store or want to wait for another inevitable B2G1 sale.

[quote name='goatdan']On the flip side, I recently got DKC3 for the GBA because that is the one SNES games I never owned and I wanted to play through it again (I did rent and beat it once), and I remember why I didn't own it. Fetch quests and a map that you're just supposed to tool around on until you find the next thing does not make a great game.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on DKC3. Even as a kid, I was disappointed with it. DKC2 was one of my favorite games of that era, and I think it holds up pretty well almost 15 years later.

I felt that DKC:R was a disappointment, because it really didn't seem to follow... I mean, where the heck are the crocodiles.... I know K. Rool is gone, but I mean there had to be some legion left or something. colorful birds just don't do it for me. The motion controls did suck, and the classic controller is amazing for this game. (and I'm so glad people hacked it to make it work.)

The first boss was a joke. it felt like they pulled it in from a different game series, and I didn't like that they used the blue and red dots from mario...

the levels are very pretty, and I have no complaints about their design.

bread's done
Back