CAGcast #232: More Than Serviceable

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Wombat dives into Dragon Age II, Cheapy finally tries a launch 3DS, and Shipwreck gets his Pokemon on. We've also got the latest industry and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]141[/podcast]
Download - 82 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
I platted Killzone 3 in a few days and the dlc and sent it back. free rental from amazon ;)
I got a 29act, Shipwreck is smart. I was a point off brightflight, doh!
i wish i would have got that free money!
peace cagz
great cagcast, and congrats on the promotion Wombat!
I'm a cheapass resturant guy too. my grrls, baby and i went to outback steakhouse the other night and we got 2 full rack of ribs and appetizers for $12.50, down from $50 lol. we gave the girl a $20 for the meal, woot. great food.
I'm friends with the manager and she gave me a steak but i was foolish, left it in the fridge and woke up and the kids ate it, argh! lol

Do you guys ever sick of PS3 fanboys constantly having problems and bitching about the CAGcast?

Also...I agree with you 100%, Wombat. Community is possibly the best comedy on TV right now.

there is no way your wife is interested in Oblivion. F0r fuk sake. I've played it and its nothing but loading screens and shitty dialogue. She's humoring you. Go wash some dishes or take out some trash for this woman. jesus.

I agree with a lot of what you said about Dragon Age II Wombat, but I'll be interested to hear if you feel any disappointment as far as the environments go. Overall I do think it's a big step up for the console version of Origins and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I just find Kirkwall to be not quite interesting enough to set so much of the game in. Also, the dungeons are surprisingly redundant. Seems like you end up running through dozens of dark, drab caves. Would love a little more variety there.

And Cheapy, definitely try Torchlight. I played it on the PC, but it's the best loot game I've played since Diablo II. Absolutely loved it. And I've heard good things about the 360 version.

[quote name='YoatOverNothing']Do you guys ever sick of PS3 fanboys constantly having problems and bitching about the CAGcast?[/QUOTE]

I love the PS3 talk back and forth between the hosts and the surly PS3 users. I find it very humorous. The guys on the show like the PS3. They’ve said this many times. They just point out the problems with the system and the way Sony handles everything. I agree with everything they say. But I love my PS3, except for when I have to download something.

Listening to the show now.

I loved the part where Wombat interrupts Boatcrash's 30 minute Pokemon review with his Bill Cobsy impression. Gotta love Wombat!

Wombat, thanks for the shout out! I am very jacked for SKYRIM! Also, the Bill Cosby impersonation about the "pokeman" was HILARIOUS!!! "OOO . . You take the Puuuddinnnnng! and you dip it in tha WOW . . . Jello Pudding POPS!! . . OooOoo!!"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Great Show as all ways! Keep up the good work... I need you guys to do more shows for me to listen to on my upcoming deployment... Just for like a year if you don't mind lol

Thanks,
h4y4to

[quote name='HungryButcher']I love the PS3 talk back and forth between the hosts and the surly PS3 users. I find it very humorous. The guys on the show like the PS3. They’ve said this many times. They just point out the problems with the system and the way Sony handles everything.[/QUOTE]

Actually, what they do is point out personal problems they have with the PS3, assume everyone else experiences the same problems, and ignore or downplay the similar issues that exist on the 360.

Then, they apparently only read the feedback that comes from frothing-at-the-mouth Sony fanboys who would rather die than play a 360, and ignore all the reasonable feedback that comes from people who enjoy both systems and who point out the inconsistencies and errors in some of their complaints. I guess that's funnier for the show, but it was disappointing that the genuinely interesting responses to their How to fix Sony podcast written by people like FriskyTanuki were just ignored.

Cheapy, you may be the dumbest on the SAT, but you're the richest. ;)

Wombat, congrats on the promotion, sir.

Shippy, UNBELIEVABLE! lol

Cheapy,
Upgrading your HDD in the PS3 in insanely easy. There are tons of walk-throughs on youtube. Just do a full back up to an external HDD and after you have the new hard drive installed, do a full restore. You will not losing anything if you are using the back up file on the same exact PS3. Your PS3 will look exactly like it did before except you will have more HDD space. You will not have to re-download anything.

If you decide to get a new PS3, it will be a little different. Because it's not the same system, you'll need to re-download your PSN content (and lose any game-shared stuff). Also, you won't get copy protected saves. However, with the new cloud saving feature you could upload these and pull them down to copy them over to the new system.

If I was in your shoes, I'd sell my phatty and pick up a slim. Those old models are ticking time bombs just counting down to a YLOD. You can still use the full back up/restore feature but will have to re-download some PSN stuff and re-apply your personal settings.

I haven't done it myself, but everyone says that you need to be careful about stripping the screws when you replace the HD on the PS3. You want to use the smallest screwdriver that will work, and some say a flathead screwdriver works better even though the screws are Phillips.

Quick correction about the Cloud saves for PS+. If you cancel or do not renew PS+, Sony will hold your uploaded saves in the cloud for 6 months before deleting them if you do not renew in that period.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I haven't done it myself, but everyone says that you need to be careful about stripping the screws when you replace the HD on the PS3. You want to use the smallest screwdriver that will work, and some say a flathead screwdriver works better even though the screws are Phillips.[/QUOTE]

I did it without any problems. If your're really worried about stripping the screws then go out and buy a jewelers screwdriver kit. They're about $5 on Amazon.

The only annoying part was having to use FAT32 to backup the old drive. That's not a format used so much anymore which meant reformatting the external drive.

Why was Cheapy so shocked and then bitter when Wombat had the higher score on the SAT? When has Cheapy shown that he is smart in any capacity? I'm not trying to diss Cheapy, I think the site Cheap Ass Gamers is a great idea for a site, but it's something anyone could have thought of, other than that, Wombat is the one that shows off his intellect in business and the industry more often. Cheapy talks well but most of anything he says is based off experience. Just strange that he assumed he was the smarter one. I thought that was an easy one.

[quote name='GOTA']I did it without any problems. If your're really worried about stripping the screws then go out and buy a jewelers screwdriver kit. They're about $5 on Amazon.

The only annoying part was having to use FAT32 to backup the old drive. That's not a format used so much anymore which meant reformatting the external drive.[/QUOTE]

Even with the proper screwdrivers, stripping the screws is still a potential issue. I stripped one of the screws and I was being extremely careful. I know several others that also stripped at least one of the screws. I had to deform the tray to remove the old drive and then bend it back into shape to hold the new drive and slide back into the PS3. The whole process is very easy IF you don't run into stripped screws.

Cheapy, you don't need to take the SATs in order to attend a university. Like Ship, I didn't take the SATs either. I went to Community College and transfered to the four year. And to dispel any ideas that I might be a dummy, at said four-year, I double majored in History and Medieval Studies, minored in Latin, and graduated.

[quote name='fahq1977']Wombat, I appreciated the Cosby impression. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm with fahq1977... More Cosby... I think Cosby should do the News each week.

There's been at least 3 Oblivion games this gen - Oblivion:Elder Scrolls, Oblivion:Fallout, and Oblivion: Vegas.

And that's not counting the numerous xpacs.

[quote name='trip1eX']There's been at least 3 Oblivion games this gen - Oblivion:Elder Scrolls, Oblivion:Fallout, and Oblivion: Vegas.

And that's not counting the numerous xpacs.[/QUOTE]

I think you're confusing Oblivion with Bethesda. Oblivion is the name of Elder Scrolls IV just like Morrowind is the name of Elder Scrolls III. Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas are both titles produced by Bethesda Softworks (who also produces the Elder Scrolls series).

[quote name='shipwreck']Even with the proper screwdrivers, stripping the screws is still a potential issue. I stripped one of the screws and I was being extremely careful. I know several others that also stripped at least one of the screws. I had to deform the tray to remove the old drive and then bend it back into shape to hold the new drive and slide back into the PS3. The whole process is very easy IF you don't run into stripped screws.[/QUOTE]
Yep, stripped screws is a well known problem when removing the HDD. I was extremely careful and still managed to strip one.

Sony recently updated their support page to include information on replacements. I'm sure there's a vending machine in Japan that sells them. :p

[quote name='shipwreck']Even with the proper screwdrivers, stripping the screws is still a potential issue. I stripped one of the screws and I was being extremely careful. I know several others that also stripped at least one of the screws. I had to deform the tray to remove the old drive and then bend it back into shape to hold the new drive and slide back into the PS3. The whole process is very easy IF you don't run into stripped screws.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I stripped ALL 4 screws for the cage holding the HDD. I was trying to be careful but it's really tight and just twisting strips it easily. I had no issue with the blue screw that everyone was talking about in various forums. If you strip any, just use needle-nose pliers to take them off. They're easy to take off and on after the initial procedure.

Btw, thanks for mentioning the KZ3 audio issue. Everyone must know!

[quote name='Curufinwe']Actually, what they do is point out personal problems they have with the PS3, assume everyone else experiences the same problems, and ignore or downplay the similar issues that exist on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this.

Though I think everyone at this point has come to expect the ball-washing these guys do for Microsoft.

And 'if' Sony needed fixing, which it doesn't, I surely wouldn't come to these guys for advice.

[quote name='Fjordson']I agree with a lot of what you said about Dragon Age II Wombat, but I'll be interested to hear if you feel any disappointment as far as the environments go. Overall I do think it's a big step up for the console version of Origins and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I just find Kirkwall to be not quite interesting enough to set so much of the game in. Also, the dungeons are surprisingly redundant. Seems like you end up running through dozens of dark, drab caves. Would love a little more variety there.

And Cheapy, definitely try Torchlight. I played it on the PC, but it's the best loot game I've played since Diablo II. Absolutely loved it. And I've heard good things about the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

I've played about 8 hours so far, and I have to agree about Kirkwall. I feel more like I'm rushing through the quests than enjoying the storyline or the characters as much as I did with Origins. I was telling Ship last night, it's not as good a story as the first game (so far) but I like the menu system changes and it looks a lot nicer.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I've played about 8 hours so far, and I have to agree about Kirkwall. I feel more like I'm rushing through the quests than enjoying the storyline or the characters as much as I did with Origins. I was telling Ship last night, it's not as good a story as the first game (so far) but I like the menu system changes and it looks a lot nicer.[/QUOTE]

So in your opinion should someone who hasn't played either Dragon Age start with Dragon Age origins or go right to Dragon Age II?

PS Great Show guys! :applause:

Cheapy,
As a heads up I attended college from 97-02 and almost NONE of the colleges anywhere in the Midwest even accept the SAT anymore. They only accept the ACT. The only schools I know of that want the SAT anymore are the East Coast schools and ones in California. I got a 30 if that matters.

Also Cheapy what's up with forgetting one of the best deals this week, buying DA 2 at KMart gets you $10 in reward points and you can buy a $50 Microsoft Point/PSN card for $20 on the same transaction. And if you buy a PS3 at KMart, you get MLB The Show 11 for free, which also works with the Killzone 3 bundle if your store still has it.

And just for interests sake, I work in an outdoor shopping area in a suburb of St. Louis (Fenton, MO) that has a Super Wal-Mart, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy, and all 4 stores are sold out of MLB The Show 11 on PS3, and Target/WM are sold out of 360 copies of DA 2.

Wombat,
Bioware screwed up on the auto-attack option for the consoles. Right before the game went gold they intended to put auto-attack as a toggleable option in the console versions and stated on their forums and in the 1 hour video session Mike Laidlaw did a couple of weeks ago on Livestream that it would be in the console game. They screwed up and left it out of the version sent out for gold certification. Now they have to look to add it in as a patch on the console versions.

As far as Rogues go, I think that's the most improved class from Origins to 2. The Evade is an actual ability instead of a random number generator that can cause a miss. Also backstab is an action ability when the Rogue throws down a smokebomb and reappears behind the selected enemy to do the backstab. The AI assassins also use this move. There's a lot of other cool moves if you go down their trees but you may want to be an archer rogue as they have lots of abilities that "make it rain" as you want with your mage, but with arrows.

Sword and Shield warriors (my only playthrough of Origins outside of the other Origin intros to get the achievements) are largely unchanged, best change to them is when an enemy is further away and you hit attack, you do a dashing attack to reach them that is more damaging. Biggest change is Shield Defense is largely useless if you want to do any damage as you actually hide behind your shield and just do stabs with the sword instead of full slices.

Also wanted to get your take on all the preorder DLC being primarily for Warriors. I have the Signature Edition and almost all of the miscellaneous DLC through various means, and 75-85% of it is for warriors. Rogues get one dagger, 1 bow, and 1 chest armor, while Mages get 1 staff. There are some belts/rings that are universal as well. Since all armor (outside of rings, belts, and amulets) you get as DLC or loot is locked to Hawke, that makes it interesting I believe for people such as yourself that want to be a Mage or maybe a Rogue.

Also the requirements for the DLC armor is MUCH lower than in Origins. The Blood Dragon Armor (which is in 2 if you had it in Origins/ME 2) previous required mid 30's in strength to wear, now it's right around 20. Also it's MUCH lower res than in Origins/ME 2. The Sir Isaac armor isn't much higher in terms of requirements either. Essentially I'm selling every piece of armor I get since my character is in nothing but DLC stuff and the only things I've bought so far are a few miscellaneous rings, etc. for the other members and rune/crafting receipes.

Also while the graphics are MUCH better, I don't like two specific changes they made, the darkspawn and the elves. I saw someone compare the new darkspawn to the cannon fodder creatures the Power Rangers fight before the "main" creature goes big and they go to the Zords. I have to agree with this. Also they turned the Elf faces to be just like Navi or whatever they're called in Avatar (never seen it) and I don't care for that either. The Quinari though are MUCH improved, makes me wonder what Sten would look like if you ever run across him again.

One of the things they kept from Awakening that I like is how much banter there with your party members as you wander around the areas. That's some of the best parts of the game. One thing I don't like is with the friend system it seems hard to get any of the party members (outside of your sibling if you use them a lot in the beginning) full one way or the other as they HAVE to be in your party for your conversation choices to influence them one way or another and the only time you can interact with them is in their homes, which is more limited than in Origins in the amount of conversations you can have with them.

Unless Act 2 and 3 are MUCH shorter, I don't see how people not reviewing the game spend less time in DA 2 than in Origins. You can zoom through it if you do nothing but main story quests, but if you do everything, it will be as lengthy as Origins. Also the games seperates every quest in your journal as you get it as either Main Story, Side Quest, Companion Quest, or Premium Content so it's much easier to organize.

Shipwreck,
I have not played the single player yet of Killzone 3 (only halfway through Killzone 2 SP) but I have played a decent amount of MP (level 17 out of 45.) The game freezes at least ONCE per night on me requiring a hard reset of my system. Also since patch 1.03 that came out last week, one out of 7 times when I boot the disk, it goes to a black screen (sound still going) that once again requires a hard reset of the console. If I didn't have friends still wanting to play this, I would have traded it back in to Gamestop before Sunday so I could have gotten $40 credit on it with their 60% bonus.

So frustrating Sony's first-party games, which are the strongest reason to purchase their console, are always so broken at launch (GT 5, MLB The Show, and now Killzone 3.) There are also issues on many third-party games (Bayonetta, BLOPS, Castlevania) that don't appear on the 360 versions that have to be patched and if you don't have broadband (which a lot of the country doesn't) then you're screwed. Yes 360 versions have issues also, but I don't remember a 360 game outside of The Last Remnant (which was bad both on 360 and PC) that just flat out ran horribly like Bayonetta first did on PS3, or erased your save files like Castlevania on PS3 before its patch.

Panel,
Still have 30 minutes left of the show but one thing I have to say as a listener since before episode 50 with Mrs. Cheapy and Mrs. Wombat is I miss the video clips you made from stories on the show during the 100's (Double Dragons, iFanboy, etc.) and the video clips from the shows in the 60-70's (Wombat gets his PS3, Vagina Clown, etc.) as it makes it seem like there aren't as many memorable moments since 200 and I don't think that's so, but outside of Cheapy's comments to Wombat on the E3 2010 episode, I can't remember any specific moments/conversations since episode 200.

Keep up the great work everyone.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Actually, what they do is point out personal problems they have with the PS3, assume everyone else experiences the same problems, and ignore or downplay the similar issues that exist on the 360.

Then, they apparently only read the feedback that comes from frothing-at-the-mouth Sony fanboys who would rather die than play a 360, and ignore all the reasonable feedback that comes from people who enjoy both systems and who point out the inconsistencies and errors in some of their complaints. I guess that's funnier for the show, but it was disappointing that the genuinely interesting responses to their How to fix Sony podcast written by people like FriskyTanuki were just ignored.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they really only select feedback that they can tackle easily, like in this episode. They make anyone who makes similar criticisms look like a moron, or they actively select certain parts of the feedback to make the person look stupid. The serious feedback is ignored and written off completely. Really disappointing.

[quote name='Ramza394']So in your opinion should someone who hasn't played either Dragon Age start with Dragon Age origins or go right to Dragon Age II?

PS Great Show guys! :applause:[/QUOTE]

I would play Origins first, as it's fun to have your game imported into DA II and have the characters refer to stuff you did, etc... The graphics aren't as pretty but that story should be played first.

[quote name='msuhitman']cheapy,
as a heads up i attended college from 97-02 and almost none of the colleges anywhere in the midwest even accept the sat anymore. They only accept the act. The only schools i know of that want the sat anymore are the east coast schools and ones in california. I got a 30 if that matters.

Also cheapy what's up with forgetting one of the best deals this week, buying da 2 at kmart gets you $10 in reward points and you can buy a $50 microsoft point/psn card for $20 on the same transaction. And if you buy a ps3 at kmart, you get mlb the show 11 for free, which also works with the killzone 3 bundle if your store still has it.

And just for interests sake, i work in an outdoor shopping area in a suburb of st. Louis (fenton, mo) that has a super wal-mart, target, gamestop, and best buy, and all 4 stores are sold out of mlb the show 11 on ps3, and target/wm are sold out of 360 copies of da 2.

wombat,
bioware screwed up on the auto-attack option for the consoles. Right before the game went gold they intended to put auto-attack as a toggleable option in the console versions and stated on their forums and in the 1 hour video session mike laidlaw did a couple of weeks ago on livestream that it would be in the console game. They screwed up and left it out of the version sent out for gold certification. Now they have to look to add it in as a patch on the console versions.

As far as rogues go, i think that's the most improved class from origins to 2. The evade is an actual ability instead of a random number generator that can cause a miss. Also backstab is an action ability when the rogue throws down a smokebomb and reappears behind the selected enemy to do the backstab. The ai assassins also use this move. There's a lot of other cool moves if you go down their trees but you may want to be an archer rogue as they have lots of abilities that "make it rain" as you want with your mage, but with arrows.

Sword and shield warriors (my only playthrough of origins outside of the other origin intros to get the achievements) are largely unchanged, best change to them is when an enemy is further away and you hit attack, you do a dashing attack to reach them that is more damaging. Biggest change is shield defense is largely useless if you want to do any damage as you actually hide behind your shield and just do stabs with the sword instead of full slices.

Also wanted to get your take on all the preorder dlc being primarily for warriors. I have the signature edition and almost all of the miscellaneous dlc through various means, and 75-85% of it is for warriors. Rogues get one dagger, 1 bow, and 1 chest armor, while mages get 1 staff. There are some belts/rings that are universal as well. Since all armor (outside of rings, belts, and amulets) you get as dlc or loot is locked to hawke, that makes it interesting i believe for people such as yourself that want to be a mage or maybe a rogue.

Also the requirements for the dlc armor is much lower than in origins. The blood dragon armor (which is in 2 if you had it in origins/me 2) previous required mid 30's in strength to wear, now it's right around 20. Also it's much lower res than in origins/me 2. The sir isaac armor isn't much higher in terms of requirements either. Essentially i'm selling every piece of armor i get since my character is in nothing but dlc stuff and the only things i've bought so far are a few miscellaneous rings, etc. For the other members and rune/crafting receipes.

Also while the graphics are much better, i don't like two specific changes they made, the darkspawn and the elves. I saw someone compare the new darkspawn to the cannon fodder creatures the power rangers fight before the "main" creature goes big and they go to the zords. I have to agree with this. Also they turned the elf faces to be just like navi or whatever they're called in avatar (never seen it) and i don't care for that either. The quinari though are much improved, makes me wonder what sten would look like if you ever run across him again.

One of the things they kept from awakening that i like is how much banter there with your party members as you wander around the areas. That's some of the best parts of the game. One thing i don't like is with the friend system it seems hard to get any of the party members (outside of your sibling if you use them a lot in the beginning) full one way or the other as they have to be in your party for your conversation choices to influence them one way or another and the only time you can interact with them is in their homes, which is more limited than in origins in the amount of conversations you can have with them.

Unless act 2 and 3 are much shorter, i don't see how people not reviewing the game spend less time in da 2 than in origins. You can zoom through it if you do nothing but main story quests, but if you do everything, it will be as lengthy as origins. Also the games seperates every quest in your journal as you get it as either main story, side quest, companion quest, or premium content so it's much easier to organize.

shipwreck,
i have not played the single player yet of killzone 3 (only halfway through killzone 2 sp) but i have played a decent amount of mp (level 17 out of 45.) the game freezes at least once per night on me requiring a hard reset of my system. Also since patch 1.03 that came out last week, one out of 7 times when i boot the disk, it goes to a black screen (sound still going) that once again requires a hard reset of the console. If i didn't have friends still wanting to play this, i would have traded it back in to gamestop before sunday so i could have gotten $40 credit on it with their 60% bonus.

So frustrating sony's first-party games, which are the strongest reason to purchase their console, are always so broken at launch (gt 5, mlb the show, and now killzone 3.) there are also issues on many third-party games (bayonetta, blops, castlevania) that don't appear on the 360 versions that have to be patched and if you don't have broadband (which a lot of the country doesn't) then you're screwed. Yes 360 versions have issues also, but i don't remember a 360 game outside of the last remnant (which was bad both on 360 and pc) that just flat out ran horribly like bayonetta first did on ps3, or erased your save files like castlevania on ps3 before its patch.

panel,
still have 30 minutes left of the show but one thing i have to say as a listener since before episode 50 with mrs. Cheapy and mrs. Wombat is i miss the video clips you made from stories on the show during the 100's (double dragons, ifanboy, etc.) and the video clips from the shows in the 60-70's (wombat gets his ps3, vagina clown, etc.) as it makes it seem like there aren't as many memorable moments since 200 and i don't think that's so, but outside of cheapy's comments to wombat on the e3 2010 episode, i can't remember any specific moments/conversations since episode 200.

Keep up the great work everyone.[/quote]
fuck you and stop trying to get talked about on the show

Did anyone else think of shipwreck as a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man yelling "UNBELIEVABLE!!!!"?

I thought of that and got a good laugh.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I would play Origins first, as it's fun to have your game imported into DA II and have the characters refer to stuff you did, etc... The graphics aren't as pretty but that story should be played first.[/QUOTE]

I agree as well. Great story and introduction into that universe. It will help you understand the plights of Mages in that world with the Circle/Templars much more as the Circle is one of the key story elements in 2, while it's a prominent side story in Origins.

Wombat and Mrs. Shipwreck you should come visit us in the 360 DA 2 forum. If you need any help with the game, that should be your first place to go.

First of all Great Show!

Reference Killzone 3: Ship and Cheapy mentioned that it was missing something to put it over the top, but honestly, I don't think it was missing anything. Decent story, GREAT ACTION... and the most Satisfying Head-shots of any FPS. For both of you, the only thing that keeps this game from going over the top is due to it not being playable on the Xbox 360. Even if the greatest games can be improved upon.

To get your full enjoyment out of KIllzone 3, I suggest that you play Operations (online). Also, Guerrilla Games for future DLC needs to add more Operations missions/ scenarios, I think that this mode could end up being the game's bread and butter.

I noticed that the 3D in Mortal Kombat was kinda weak as well. However, I checked the default settings and the 3D effects are set in the medium range and 3D brightness is turned off. I think Killzone 3's 3D default is set really low, but I adjusted it before I started playing. Now that I think about it, my TV's 2D-3D conversion default is also low for some reason. I guess they all figure it's better to set the effect low and let people turn it up.

Once I turned the 3D settings in Mortal Kombat all the way to the maximum it looked noticably better than the default. I definitely won't be getting it at launch (not my kind of game), but I think it's a neat feature and subtle enough that I think I could see myself using it.

So I guess with all 3D Games you just have to check the default settings and adjust it accordingly to your tastes.

[quote name='Thomas96']First of all Great Show!

Reference Killzone 3: Ship and Cheapy mentioned that it was missing something to put it over the top, but honestly, I don't think it was missing anything. Decent story, GREAT ACTION... and the most Satisfying Head-shots of any FPS. For both of you, the only thing that keeps this game from going over the top is due to it not being playable on the Xbox 360. Even if the greatest games can be improved upon.

To get your full enjoyment out of KIllzone 3, I suggest that you play Operations (online). Also, Guerrilla Games for future DLC needs to add more Operations missions/ scenarios, I think that this mode could end up being the game's bread and butter.[/QUOTE]

1. I don't really play first-person shooters online much so my comments are entirely on the single player campaign.

2. Killzone 2 is one of my favorite first-person shooters of this generation. It's my second favorite PS3 exclusive behind Uncharted 2.

3. Killzone 3 would look worse on the 360 as the 360 has never produced graphics of Killzone 3's caliber.

4. IMO, Killzone 3 suffers by mirroring the campaign after the COD Old Spice school of game design. (Now I'm in a Mech suit, now I'm in snow world, now I'm using a turret on a hovercraft, now I'm in a jungle, now I'm being stealthy, now I have a jet pack). Throw in the multiple jumps forward and back in the timeline and the storytelling becomes muddled in random action sequences.

5. Killzone 3 is a good game. Like nearly every other big title that has come out this year, it deserves its 85 Metascore. When Killzone 2 released in 2009, it garnered a Metacritic rating of 91, so I don't think I'm insane or alone in preferring Killzone 2 over Killzone 3.

6. I bought Killzone 3 with my own money because I wanted to play the game on the PlayStation 3 which I bought with my own money because I wanted to play PlayStation 3 games.

Wombat's comment about the White Forest being exclusive to Pokemon White gave me a laugh, which I'm ashamed to admit. I read a disturbing comment the other day that pointed out how you can only collect cotton Pokemon in Pokemon Black. :cold:

It is obvious that Shipwreck does not have a kid cause there is NO WAY a three year old would enjoy dance central. You have to remember that in order to play a kinect game the person needs to stand in a particular spot for an extended period of time. A three year old will go to that spot, play the game for 10 seconds and then run around the room like a spaz. Plus the kinect is not very forgiving so a child (like my 3 year old daughter) will get frustrated pretty quickly. I have tried playing the kinect with my daughter with little success, she is just too young and impatient.

I am looking forward to the Sesame Street kinect game but i am a little concerned that the audience it is for might be too young to play it. The fact that Tim Schafer has children gives me some faith that he knows what he is doing. We shall see.

I wonder if Wombat can name the supreme court case that declared 'Separate but equal' and the case that overruled legalized segregation. With out looking it up on google that is. :)

bread's done
Back