Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
zelda_25th_anniversary_gdc.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1153025p1.html

Don't know if there is another thread somewhere else, but what are your thoughts? First Mario and now Zelda. I think it's getting sad that Nintendo is trying to make you buy the same games over and over again, but die-hard Zelda fans might be interested.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Don't know if there is another thread somewhere else, but what are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I think that IGN is shit and they really don't need any more page views. Text of full article below:
During Satoru Iwata's keynote speech at 2011's Game Developer's conference, the President of Nintendo announced that the company is working on "something" to honor the 25th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda.

And he pretty much left it at that.

Aside from a logo that tells us little more than the fact that it's something to do with the Zelda franchise, we only know that Miyamoto himself is working on it, and that gamers will see what it is this year.

It will probably be a ROM dump with a collector's edition jacket and/or artbook. No point getting my hopes up unless it's released for 3DS.

"Just as special"

Lmao, All Stars wasn't special at all. They just threw a (what should've been) virtual console game on a disc and added a music CD. Barely worth $10; definitely not worth the $30 price tag they put on it. I won't get my hopes up for the 25th Anniversary Zelda, alas, I will probably buy it like I did the Mario one. I'm a sucker for Nintendo. :p

If they do a compilation this time, I'm hoping they throw in games I can't already play on my Wii....Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons...actually, just throw A Link to the Past in there too, release it on the DS/3DS, and you've got a product worth buying.

I had a dream that the Elite Status reward for Club Nintendo this year would be a small statue of Link. That would make me happy.

[quote name='dothog']You've unwittingly derailed this entire thread with the article title in that link.

Reggie admits that Nintendo is 'juggling two big balls'

Ooh, I'm listening, Reggie, you saucy bitch.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Why does anyone interview that doofus? He makes no important decisions so he always gives boilerplate CYA answers.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']I had a dream that the Elite Status reward for Club Nintendo this year would be a small statue of Link. That would make me happy.[/QUOTE]

I too would be happy with this. Sadly I missed out on the Mario 25th anniversary set but as a true Zelda fan I will not miss this one!

Dunno, that statue might tick off the people who spent a 15thousand stars on the Golden Link statue. I personally wouldn't mind seeing those things plummet in price.

Not large on its looks though.

goldlink.jpg

I look forward to what they do with the 25th anniversary LoZ pack.

I'd be surprised if it's not more than a rehash of what they did with the LoZ collection on the GC, but this time they'll remove OoT since they don't want to cannibalize the sales of OoT 3DS, like they did by not having LttP in the LoZ Collection due to the GBA port.

Personally I'm not expecting much from this....they might surprise me, but I doubt it.

I think at this point we'll probably be happy enough with what we get, granted we expected so much from the Mario one that now we got low expectations. I know I have no expectations this time around, and it goes the same for Skyward Sword (I am sadly not hyping myself over it like I did with Twilight Princess because it really was not what I built it up to be back then).

[quote name='0_0']Wind Waker remake (with more dungeons) for 3DS please..[/QUOTE]

Do that for the Wii with GameCube controller option intact and you'd have the best console Zelda. I would move worlds and Reggie's two big balls to make this happen.

[quote name='dothog']Do that for the Wii with GameCube controller option intact and you'd have the best console Zelda.[/QUOTE]
For sooth.

OoT (3DS) in summer and sure Majoras Mask will land on 3DS. Maybe Zelda 4 words & the Wind Waker and all the Nes, SNes, GBC & GBA version will on 25th Collection :)

It's funny how half the people out there complain how Nintendo wastes so many resources on remaking games and the other half beg for the games that haven't been remade to be remade...can't make everyone happy I guess.

[quote name='rlse9']It's funny how half the people out there complain how Nintendo wastes so many resources on remaking games and the other half beg for the games that haven't been remade to be remade...can't make everyone happy I guess.[/QUOTE]
Those halves aren't exclusive. For some fans, the latter comes once you accept (and not complain about) the former.

Some older games (even Nintendo games) need remakes badly. Zelda II kinda does, but it also kinda doesn't. A map screen would help, as well as easier difficulties. The only Nintendo game IMO that needs a remake (outside of the Mother series because I desperately want to play them) is Metroid II.

Skyward Sword with Gold Wii Remote + Bundle will probably happen.

[quote name='KingBroly']Some older games (even Nintendo games) need remakes badly. Zelda II kinda does, but it also kinda doesn't. A map screen would help, as well as easier difficulties. The only Nintendo game IMO that needs a remake (outside of the Mother series because I desperately want to play them) is Metroid II.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, Metroid 2 on the Zero Mission engine would be wonderfully fun.

I dont even think Zelda 2 needs updated AI, but perhaps experience point adjustments to remove the needless grind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm down for pretty much whatever it is. The only Zelda anything that I've had issues with were the touch-screen driven DS games. Well, I only played the first one but the controls were the issue and from what I've read, they remain broken.

I'm secure enough to admit that I'll buy another compilation.

I don't really think Wii is the right console for any Zelda collection. Wiimote won't be good for any Zelda after 3, it'll have to be the GBA version at that. Only exception to this is the Twilight Princess. 3DS makes more sense with the controls.

Or Nintendo can actually do some work and come up with a motion control for N64 Zeldas and WW. I don't think Nintendo will make any collection that will require the classic controller. They haven't done that with Mario and I don't see why that will change for Zelda.

Not to be down on the idea, but with 2 different Zelda collections on Gamecube, is this even necessary? Mario All Stars only contained the NES games, so would Nintendo try and do the same and just have 2 Zelda games on there?

[quote name='Corvin']Not to be down on the idea, but with 2 different Zelda collections on Gamecube, is this even necessary? Mario All Stars only contained the NES games, so would Nintendo try and do the same and just have 2 Zelda games on there?[/QUOTE]
Both the MQ and Collector's Edition discs were available through various promotions only. (I got my CE through the N-Power promotion, bought MQ used.) Nintendo could justify repackaging CE as a 25th anniv edition on the basis of making that disc available to an ever expanding Zelda fanbase. I understand the "necessity" point, I really do, but at this point I don't think it's a realistic basis. The Mario ROM dump happened, it sold, from N's perspective the people are looking for cheap, tasteless ROM dumps. Quality and taste do not enter into it from N's POV.

That being said, if/when the ROM dump happens, the true "necessity" in all of this is to improve the emulation, especially if MM is involved. I don't know how MM turned out on the VC (I wasn't getting bit thrice on that one), but on the CE disc the emulation for MM was awful. It featured freezes and glitches in just the right amount: few enough that you don't think it'll happen again, numerous enough to screw a few saves and eventually force you to forget it altogether. There were sound problems, too, IIRC. I had many, many hours of playtime thrown back in my face on MM, and finally I gave up. In that sense, the "emulation FAIL" sense, the MM portion of CE truly was for collectors, it was there to have and not to play.

If they do release the 25th Zelda as a ROM dump, my hope is that, in at least "updating" the games to accommodate Wii input, they hold the emulation to a higher standard. I'd consider a purchase if they really go out and dump a shitload of titles on there, including some handhelds, and after a full year of release there aren't any emulation complaints from consumers. There's no way my dream scenario will happen, I'm just sayin that's what it would take.

[quote name='laaj']Wiimote won't be good for any Zelda after 3, it'll have to be the GBA version at that. Only exception to this is the Twilight Princess. [/QUOTE]
Hmm, maybe they can port Twilight Princess to the Wii.
OH WAIT THEY ALREADY DID THAT!

hrmph.

It would be nice if they fix the "bugs" in Majora's Mask that cause the game to not play right and freeze sometimes (or did that also happen on the N64 version?).

[quote name='Corvin']Weren't there some issues with rumble in Ocarina as well?[/QUOTE]

Not that I noticed. I played OoT on both the N64 and CE, albeit nearly a decade apart, and didn't notice anything that's wrong with the rumble.

MM like someone mentioned is total crap on CE. Get the VC version for that.

[quote name='laaj']Not that I noticed. I played OoT on both the N64 and CE, albeit nearly a decade apart, and didn't notice anything that's wrong with the rumble.

MM like someone mentioned is total crap on CE. Get the VC version for that.[/QUOTE]
Yes, in my experience, OoT is pretty smooth.

So did they modify the ROM itself of Majora's Mask to eliminate bugs? Or are the bugs from the original ROM (the one on the N64 cart) still there, just with improved emulation? I'd really love to finish MM, but I've had awful luck with the game across three different playthroughs.

EDIT: Sounds like the glitches from the original ROM of MM are there (which makes sense, I doubt they're going to debug source and recompile a new MM -- or however games are built up from code). Plus there's a few new VC specific glitches. It's fun!

MM is just a barrel of snakes when it comes to bugs/glitches/whole heap of bullshit. For as great a game as it is, my personal stance is fuck that game, it's destroyed enough of my play time. I'll break down in a couple years and want to play all the way through, and I'm sure at that time I'll have another save glitched out and/or corrupted.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='laaj']Not that I noticed. I played OoT on both the N64 and CE, albeit nearly a decade apart, and didn't notice anything that's wrong with the rumble. [/QUOTE]

There wasn't anything wrong with it, per se, but IIRC, some of the hidden items that were found only with rumble didn't work.

No biggie, I'm sure I'll get this set regardless.

Nintendo could really do it right with Zelda, but I doubt it. I predict the NES games and Link to the past. Throw a CD and pop a $30 tag on it.

[quote name='dothog']Yes, in my experience, OoT is pretty smooth.

So did they modify the ROM itself of Majora's Mask to eliminate bugs? Or are the bugs from the original ROM (the one on the N64 cart) still there, just with improved emulation? I'd really love to finish MM, but I've had awful luck with the game across three different playthroughs.

EDIT: Sounds like the glitches from the original ROM of MM are there (which makes sense, I doubt they're going to debug source and recompile a new MM -- or however games are built up from code). Plus there's a few new VC specific glitches. It's fun!

MM is just a barrel of snakes when it comes to bugs/glitches/whole heap of bullshit. For as great a game as it is, my personal stance is fuck that game, it's destroyed enough of my play time. I'll break down in a couple years and want to play all the way through, and I'm sure at that time I'll have another save glitched out and/or corrupted.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding the N64 games on the Virtual Console are actually ported to the system. Majora's Mask in the CE has a million and one bugs. Majora's Mask on the VC removed a lot of the problems, but I think some still exist.

I'd like a Zelda Collection that comprised all on one Wii disc:
NES
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
SNES
Zelda: Link to the Past
N64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Zelda Ocarina of Time: Master's Quest (Is this even on the Virtual Console yet?)

Plus a soundtrack, even if it was similar to the Super Mario one missing various tracks.

On the 3DS/DS/DSi collection cartridge: (I know this one probably won't happen)
Zelda Link's Awakeing DX
Zelda Oracle of Ages and Seasons
Zelda Minish Cap

It'd be great if it came bundled with redefined versions of the Gameboy games. Especially since one was never released state-side. Aside from that, I really don't know how it could be made any different.

If it weren't for OoT being released on the 3DS, I'd say they'd probably toss it in there too.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd like a Zelda Collection that comprised all on one Wii disc:
NES
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
SNES
Zelda: Link to the Past
N64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Zelda Ocarina of Time: Master's Quest (Is this even on the Virtual Console yet?)

Plus a soundtrack, even if it was similar to the Super Mario one missing various tracks.

On the 3DS/DS/DSi collection cartridge: (I know this one probably won't happen)
Zelda Link's Awakeing DX
Zelda Oracle of Ages and Seasons
Zelda Minish Cap[/QUOTE]

I love your 3DS collection cartridge idea....but don't think that it will ever happen. Please surprise me Nintendo.

At least this time around we have lower expectations for Zelda after the understood lazy mario all stars thing. Its a good thing!

[quote name='sciafb']At least this time around we have lower expectations for Zelda after the understood lazy mario all stars thing. Its a good thing![/QUOTE]

:lol: Too true.

Like the original Mario All-Stars on the SNES, I'd like to see them go back and revamp the graphics on whatever they are offering, say the first 3 games. It would be a worthwhile purchase to say the least.

How sweet would Wii Mario All-Stars have been if they redid the games with NSMBWii graphics?

My dream would be a new 3D Zelda on 3DS with circle pad movement (and not their DS attempts which I didn't care for).

Now with that said, I probably wont be buying any collector edition zelda games unless they make them on the 3DS with full 3D. Then I will day one that shit.

I love Zelda but I am not a huge fan of collector edition packs or special edition packs of games.

When asked about the Zelda franchise, he says that Nintendo will celebrate the series' anniversary this year, much like they did last year with Super Mario. Miyamoto mentions that there will be products commemorating the release of the first game in the series.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26125

I guess that goes against what Reggie said.

Yeah, but Reggie's a huge douche.

NOA is beholden to NCL. What NCL says goes. As far as 'merchandise' goes, I'm leaning very heavily towards new t-shirts from King of Games and maybe a Club Nintendo Japan prize. Nothing crazy but still super cool.

bread's done
Back