Blockbuster - $4 minimum trade-in value on DVDs

cm matty

CAGiversary!
Just a heads up...this started at most stores on Friday, but should be live at all stores by now. Good time to get rid of any DVDs you don't want. It's rare to get this much for them.

I had a huge DVD collection and culled a bunch (movies I've re-bought on blu-ray and a ton of movies that I know I'll never watch again). Ended up with a little over $750 in credit. Picked up a PS Move Kit, navigation controller, extra Move controller, MLB 11: The Show, Kinect, and Kinect Sports...still have about $300 in credit left.

I don't know how long this is on for, but I'd guess it won't be too long, so hit up your local stores quick.

They seem to take almost anything as long as it's in the system. The only movies that didn't work for me were things like Trucks, Snake Man, Miner's Massacre, etc.

Wow, that sounds amazing. Do you have any links to something that makes note of the sale (an advertisement or something) or indicating the participating sotres? I'd love to offload a bunch of my DVDs.

as of monday, it won't be ymmv...should be in every computer system (i've traded in stuff at two different stores in toronto over the weekend). i first heard about this on the blu-ray.com forums (canadian deals section) - haven't seen an ad or anything, but judging from the posts on there, this is nationwide.

[quote name='craig64']Do all stores take trade ins? I've never tried trading anything at BBV. What do you need to do it?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure no stores in Edmonton do trade ins.

Which really sucks because I've got almost 100 to get rid of.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Damn it, I'm an idiot. I'm in the Canada section.Now I'm super sad. Wish this was for the US as well.[/QUOTE]

dude, same here! i just grabbed a bunch of movies to trade in and then read your post... :cry:

It's in Winnipeg, too, but that stupid bylaw restricts you from buying anything other than movies, and you can only trade in 1 movie per movie you're buying. UGH!

[quote name='ducksoda7']It's in Winnipeg, too, but that stupid bylaw restricts you from buying anything other than movies, and you can only trade in 1 movie per movie you're buying. UGH![/QUOTE]

Yeah, my excitement was quickly quelled when I remembered that, too. :(

How does this make any sense given that they have a promo of buy 2 used dvds for 6.98 listed on their website?

What's wrong with these companies?! :)

So, let me get this straight--

1) Blockbusters go out of business, sell DVDs as cheaply as possible.
2) Another Blockbuster then buys back same DVDs, spending more than they'll ever be able to recoup via rentals or resale.

So... will anyone be surprised when the Blockbusters from step 2 become Blockbusters from step 1? :|

[quote name='ducksoda7']It's in Winnipeg, too, but that stupid bylaw restricts you from buying anything other than movies, and you can only trade in 1 movie per movie you're buying. UGH![/QUOTE]

Gahhhh, I was so excited too, I always forget what restrictions that bylaw imposes on trading...Thanks for clarifying it though, so I didn't run to the BBV that's a 2 minute walk from my house.

Not that this benefits me because its in canada but I would avoid keeping anything in credit. While I don't think that blockbuster is going to go completely under anytime soon they do have a pending court case that at the end of month might force the company in to bankruptcy and with how much they owe you might see your gift card be worth nothing.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']I'm pretty sure no stores in Edmonton do trade ins.

Which really sucks because I've got almost 100 to get rid of.[/QUOTE]

Try BBV's in Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove, Leduc or St. Albert. I know Sherwood and Leduc do trade ins.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Not that this benefits me because its in canada but I would avoid keeping anything in credit. While I don't think that blockbuster is going to go completely under anytime soon they do have a pending court case that at the end of month might force the company in to bankruptcy and with how much they owe you might see your gift card be worth nothing.[/QUOTE]

What happens to them in the U.S. apparently has no bearing on the Canadian operations.

[quote name='janlazer']Try BBV's in Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove, Leduc or St. Albert. I know Sherwood and Leduc do trade ins.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not too far from Sherwood Park actually. Do you need a membership to do the trade ins? Or just a peice of ID?

You need to create an account there, but that's pretty easy. Just make sure to bring 2 pieces of photo ID (I was asked for two, but the manager was there and told the person serving me that just my license would be fine. YMMV on just that though).

Managed to get $276 in store credit for a bunch of DVD's I never thought I'd ever get rid of. Thanks OP.

Does anyone know if BBV still charges tax when you use store credit, or do you just get the sticker amount deducted? I've never had credit at BBV before, so I'm kind of curious.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. I've been wanting to rid myself of a handful of dvd's forever, but previously they were offering an average of about $1 per...

I took in about 80 DVD's to BBV in Calgary. I got $4.00ea on about 50 of them. The rest they wouldn't take. I can understand why on some titles. Still, I'm happy with the deal!!

I took in about 80 DVD's to BBV in Calgary. I got $4.00ea on about 50 of them. The rest they wouldn't take. I can understand why on some titles. Still, I'm happy with the deal!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bamm']Does anyone know if BBV still charges tax when you use store credit, or do you just get the sticker amount deducted? I've never had credit at BBV before, so I'm kind of curious.[/QUOTE]

Any local BBV that I have traded games at before still charges tax on the sticker price, then deducts the credit.

Now this may be a coincidence, but while I was doing that I brought in some old games to unload as well. All of them were worth $10+ except Dead Space, which they gave me $4 for.
It's possible that that's the normal trade in price and they just happen to give $4 while everyone else gives $1-$2, but it looks to me like the $4 min. is applying to games right now as well, so it may be a good time to get rid of anything that you can't get anything for anywhere else.

[quote name='Opopanax']Now this may be a coincidence, but while I was doing that I brought in some old games to unload as well. All of them were worth $10+ except Dead Space, which they gave me $4 for.
It's possible that that's the normal trade in price and they just happen to give $4 while everyone else gives $1-$2, but it looks to me like the $4 min. is applying to games right now as well, so it may be a good time to get rid of anything that you can't get anything for anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Yes there seems to be a min 4$ on games but you can arguably get more with some of Bestbuy promos.

So if it's DVDs and games, it's gotta be on blu rays too, right? Right?

(I'd call but I aways end up confused and frusterated when I call a place asking about something I found on CAG- are store employees told to lie, or just dumb?)

I might jump on this if I have time today.
A head's up on BBV credit, you are given in-store credit specific to that location only unless you ask them to cash you out with a gift card good at any location. Or so I was told last time I was there.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']A head's up on BBV credit, you are given in-store credit specific to that location only unless you ask them to cash you out with a gift card good at any location. Or so I was told last time I was there.[/QUOTE]

I used to do this as well, but all my local BBV locations stopped putting credit on gift cards and now force people to use the local store account. Kind of sucks that it's not as portable, but it beats getting nothing at all.

[quote name='onemorechanc']I used to do this as well, but all my local BBV locations stopped putting credit on gift cards and now force people to use the local store account. Kind of sucks that it's not as portable, but it beats getting nothing at all.[/QUOTE]

Just buy a Vanilla Mastercard and there you go.

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Just buy a Vanilla Mastercard and there you go.[/QUOTE]

You know, I have always just walked by the section that sells gift cards without even thinking about it ... you sir, are a genius. Or I'm just blind to the obvious and last to board the logic train.

Are there any fees for setting up one of those? Or does $20 of store credit buy a $20 MasterCard?

[quote name='onemorechanc']You know, I have always just walked by the section that sells gift cards without even thinking about it ... you sir, are a genius. Or I'm just blind to the obvious and last to board the logic train.

Are there any fees for setting up one of those? Or does $20 of store credit buy a $20 MasterCard?[/QUOTE]

The fees are disgusting on these things, so much so that Marketplace did an expose on them.

$2 activation fee (at least). $2 per month staledate fees (since they're exempt from the gift card laws). $1.25 to phone the "toll free" number to check the balance or anything like that. Who knows what other hidden fees and charges.

Thanks OP, traded in a whackload of DVDs, received $76 in credit! (I guess that's 19 DVD's?) Clean out the closet AND get credit at BBV? Double winning.

[quote name='halcyon1234']The fees are disgusting on these things, so much so that Marketplace did an expose on them.

$2 activation fee (at least). $2 per month staledate fees (since they're exempt from the gift card laws). $1.25 to phone the "toll free" number to check the balance or anything like that. Who knows what other hidden fees and charges.[/QUOTE]

The fee to activate $100 is $7. Just get them and burn through them quick and you'll be fine.

I just converted mine (my Vanilla MC's) into Amazon GC's as you can buy any dollar amount you want.

Blu rays are $5 or $8 Depending on the title...weird they didn't take free stuff I got from Future Shop (dare devil & RE blurays, Touch the Dead DS)...

I had the choice of getting it in my store specific account or a gift card, took the gift card.

[quote name='True Kronic']Blu rays are $5 or $8 Depending on the title...weird they didn't take free stuff I got from Future Shop (dare devil & RE blurays, Touch the Dead DS)...

I had the choice of getting it in my store specific account or a gift card, took the gift card.[/QUOTE]

Hi True Kronic - sorry but I just noticed that you're trying to get rid of the RE bluray?
If you are anywhere near the GTA and are truly trying to get rid of them I would be happy to buy them off from you. PM me if you're interested. Thanks.

bread's done
Back