Are 2 year contracts for cell phones good or bad?

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!
I've been thinking about getting a new phone for over a year now. I've been using net10/tracfone for over 3 years now and I'm tired of it.The phone that I have now isn't even a smartphone. I want something that has a touchscreen,3g,apps and a better camera.Walmart has cell phones for 97 cents. They said all I need is a 2 year contract and that's it. Is that any good? Am I going to get hit with charges that I don't know about or what? Really could use some help.

All comes down to monthly charges... How much are you willing to pay? Most people have talk/data/text plans. Some people realize that they don't text/talk much and use WiFi instead of data plan, it's cheaper to go with prepaid plans, like T-mobile's 1000 minutes expire in one year...

I get free phones with 2 year plans, with no hidden fees or charges all the time. The one I have now is probably my 3rd - 4th phone that used a plan like this one. The key is just to make sure you don't care about upgrading and that you're satisfied with your phone, as breaking the contract is usually pretty pricy and convoluted.

tl;dr If you don't care about having the latest phone, its a pretty good deal.

Do the math. Ask how much the monthly plan will be if you DON'T get a contract; it's almost always cheaper. Multiply the savings by 24, and see if that's higher than the rebate you'd get on the phone. It can cost more at the outset, but save you hundreds over two years.

When comparing phones across carriers, don't forget to figure in the cost of the monthly data plan over the course of two years. Most carriers are discounting the cost of their smartphones and making up their money with higher cost dataplans. (and if you plan on using it as a hotspot, that'll cost you too.)

[quote name='thefallingscream']I want to get something today. Anything is better then the phone I have now and I really like those android phones.Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Virgin has Android phones (or Blackberry) with unlimited web and data for $25 a month with no contract. You buy the phone for under $200, but you don't need to be a math whiz to tell that's massively cheaper than any contract.

To answer the actual question posed by the title of this thread:

It is always a better deal to get the discount and not buy the phone if you don't plan on changing carriers in the near future. If you don't do the contract, you have to pay full price for the phone and for smartphones, that can easily be 500 or 600 dollars.

As far as I know, T-Mobile might be the only exception to this as the monthly bill is cheaper if you are out of contract. You would have to do the math and figure out what's better for you if you have them.

Virgin mobile seems like the best choice for me. I could easily pay $60 for the unlimited plan and I really like their phones. I get my first paycheck next week so I plan on getting the LG Optimus.Really appreciate the help.

If you were using prepaid services like net10 and tracfone, then I'm assuming you don't use your phone much pertaining to minutes at least. Virgin Mobile seems to be the best option for you. Get the LG Optimus phone and pick a plan. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you can use the phone without a data plan if you don't want to. That's if only having wifi access is okay with you.

Make sure you're going to be happy with the phone and that the coverage in your area is good. I switched to Verizon last year to get the HTC Incredible. I love the phone, but I've come to find out they didn't tell me that the closest cell tower is 2 miles away from my house. So I now have a phone for another year that I basically can't use at home.

[quote name='DKYang']If you were using prepaid services like net10 and tracfone, then I'm assuming you don't use your phone much pertaining to minutes at least. Virgin Mobile seems to be the best option for you. Get the LG Optimus phone and pick a plan. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you can use the phone without a data plan if you don't want to. That's if only having wifi access is okay with you.[/QUOTE]

Net10 has unlimited talk, text, and (very shitty) mobile web for $50 a month. Their coverage sucks, though.

[quote name='Matt Young']Net10 has unlimited talk, text, and (very shitty) mobile web for $50 a month. Their coverage sucks, though.[/QUOTE]
I text way more then last year and I really want to mess around with a better phone. Net10's internet is slow as hell and I can't play any games on this phone.

I always do 2 year contracts with Verizon. Gets you the best deals on phones with their new every two deal.

I'm actually out of contract at the moment as mine ran out last month but I want to wait and see how the next iPhone is and what comes out on the Android side in the meantime. My old LG Voyageris stll going strong anyway.

I don't mind contracts as I've always been happy with Verizon, and my cell is my only phone so I would never cancel it anyway.

Other options are better if you don't talk much, but I use my phone a ton since I haven't had a landline in 6 years. I also prefer calling friends and family to texting or e- mailing etc. So I use a good bit of minutes..mostly nights and weekends when it's free if not an in network call that is free any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a lot of dough to blow, two year contracts are horrible. I just got the Optimus and started with the $25/a month plan with Virgin Wireless in February and it's fantastic. I was paying over $80 a month for tons of unused minutes and no texting or web with AT&T for years. I can't get web access in certain, obvious areas (stock room at work which my AT&T phone used to not even make phone calls in) but at home I have WiFi and 3G. I was surprised how broad Virgin's coverage was in Central Florida.

[quote name='DKYang']If you were using prepaid services like net10 and tracfone, then I'm assuming you don't use your phone much pertaining to minutes at least. Virgin Mobile seems to be the best option for you. Get the LG Optimus phone and pick a plan. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you can use the phone without a data plan if you don't want to. That's if only having wifi access is okay with you.[/QUOTE]

Who would want to? It's already impossibly cheap for unlimited data. My brother has the Blackberry, the whole thing is just beautiful, $25 for unlimited text, web and data. It's less than I pay right now for just for texts and no data. I know people paying upwards of $80 for the exact same thing on Verizon.

[quote name='Serpentor'] it's cheaper to go with prepaid plans, like T-mobile's 1000 minutes expire in one year...[/QUOTE]

With the amount of min I talk I wouldn't actually mind that. The problem is T-Mobile blows for reception to start with... (I'm assuming you can get a data and txting though too?)

[quote name='Survivalism']Virgin has Android phones (or Blackberry) with unlimited web and data for $25 a month with no contract. You buy the phone for under $200, but you don't need to be a math whiz to tell that's massively cheaper than any contract.[/QUOTE]

For comparision, a droid on verizon will cost you about $100 a month ($30 data plan is REQUIRED) and you don't even get the phone for free so, yeah, that's pretty much your answer.

[quote name='mkelehan']Do the math. Ask how much the monthly plan will be if you DON'T get a contract; it's almost always cheaper. Multiply the savings by 24, and see if that's higher than the rebate you'd get on the phone. It can cost more at the outset, but save you hundreds over two years.[/QUOTE]

What vendor do you use that it's cheaper to do pre-paid month-to-month? If anything, it's almost guaranteed to be cheaper to go under contract - the mobile provider would be willing to offer it to you for a discount, since they know you'll be paying at least 24 months. Example: Verizon Wireless's prepaid plan for voice only, 450 minutes is $35/mo under a 2 year plan, $45/mo for a pre-paid plan. Like everything else, you almost always get better prices for buying in bulk!

[quote name='mietha']For comparision, a droid on verizon will cost you about $100 a month ($30 data plan is REQUIRED) and you don't even get the phone for free so, yeah, that's pretty much your answer.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm a counterpoint to that argument? My bill is $65/mo for voice and data with a Droid X.

I got an Android phone with Virgin Mobile. 25 bucks a month unlimited texting and data. Plus VM uses Sprints network so coverage is pretty good. 2 year contracts are good if you A) have the money to blow 80 to 100 bucks a line per month B) You're trying to increase your credit score. I see no reason to be locked into a contract with a company that's so expensive since I don't talk on my phone often.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i have optimus V with virgin mobile. they have cheap plans but 3g internet gets throttled if you use too much data[/QUOTE]

I have the same phone and haven't had a problem with 3G at all. Virgin just updated their severs last week.

I still use my LG VX8300 that I bought back in 2007. I did some research because I wanted a phone that would be reliable. The thing is bulletproof! I've dropped it, drenched it, and genrally abused it but it keeps going. Of course Verizon has great coverage and I've never had a problem with the service.

My friends do make fun of me whenever they see me using it because of it's age. They ask if it has a rotary dial when I flip it open.

[quote name='whoknows']I have the Optimus through Virgin as well and I love it.

You really can't beat the price.[/QUOTE]
Killer phone. nice plan. What do you think about the intercept though? what do you like about your phone specifically?

I'm highly interested @ $25 a month for a smart phone. Thats astounding.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Moltres423']Killer phone. nice plan. What do you think about the intercept though? what do oyu like about the phone specifically?

I'm highly interested @ $25 a month for a smart phone. Thats astounding.[/QUOTE]

I looked a little at the Intercept before deciding on the Optimus, and from what I've learned the battery in the Optimus is pretty bad, it's supposed to be pretty glitchy and slower than the Optimus, it's running Android 2.1 but supposedly getting an update sometime, but it's not guaranteed.

I did like it had a slide out keyboard, but that was the only thing that looked better to me.

The Optimus responds quickly, Android 2.2, the home/back/search/menu buttons are physical, which is nice. I had the Kyocera Loft before the Optimus, so the Optimus just seems so amazing to me :lol:

It is my first Android phone and I'm impressed, but I haven't actually used the Intercept so I only know what I've read about it.

[quote name='whoknows']I looked a little at the Intercept before deciding on the Optimus, and from what I've learned the battery in the Optimus is pretty bad, it's supposed to be pretty glitchy and slower than the Optimus, it's running Android 2.1 but supposedly getting an update sometime, but it's not guaranteed.

I did like it had a slide out keyboard, but that was the only thing that looked better to me.

The Optimus responds quickly, Android 2.2, the home/back/search/menu buttons are physical, which is nice. I had the Kyocera Loft before the Optimus, so the Optimus just seems so amazing to me :lol:

It is my first Android phone and I'm impressed, but I haven't actually used the Intercept so I only know what I've read about it.[/QUOTE]

The battery in the Optimus is bad you say? Did you mean intercept?

Sheeze, are people seriously paying $50 and up a MONTH just for a phone? I knew they were expensive but not that much. Even if the phone is free.

[quote name='Moltres423']The battery in the Optimus is bad you say? Did you mean intercept?[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah. My mistake.

[quote name='whoknows']I have the Optimus through Virgin as well and I love it.

You really can't beat the price.[/QUOTE]

I think I might be trying that... Hope I can port my number though... What's the reception like though... ?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I think I might be trying that... Hope I can port my number though... What's the reception like though... ?[/QUOTE]
Indeed. I think I'll be getting it too. Any idea if this phone gets the sprint navigation app? anyone mind confirming? I know it has google maps but I became accustomed to this particular app during a previous road trip.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I think I might be trying that... Hope I can port my number though... What's the reception like though... ?[/QUOTE]

Reception is pretty good. I had Cricket before and at least in my area Virgin is a lot better.

And you can port your number, I did. They were just kind of slow about it...took like 3 days.

[quote name='Moltres423']Indeed. I think I'll be getting it too. Any idea if this phone gets the sprint navigation app? anyone mind confirming? I know it has google maps but I became accustomed to this particular app during a previous road trip.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that, I've always used google maps since that's what was always there. Google maps is pretty good though.

Sprint's navigation sucks anyway...

[quote name='whoknows']Reception is pretty good. I had Cricket before and at least in my area Virgin is a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Where are you located? We don't have Cricket here. I believe they are CDMA right? Might be Sprint's towers.

[quote name='whoknows']
Not sure about that, I've always used google maps since that's what was always there. Google maps is pretty good though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it works and is why I wouldn't miss GPS not on any other service's plan and charging extra. GM just works better.

I hear the Optimus doesn't support flash? What does this mean for a droid phone? I know what flash is, I've just never owned a smart phone and don't know how significant this is.

I ended up going out and getting the Optimus V because of this thread. I'm moving in four days across the country, and needed something that I could do a lot of internet-based stuff off of, and this thing is amazing. The $25 plan is great, and I'm in love. Thank you to the people who kept recommending it!

[quote name='GamesIsRLife']Sheeze, are people seriously paying $50 and up a MONTH just for a phone? I knew they were expensive but not that much. Even if the phone is free.[/QUOTE]

Sure. It's usually $40-50 for around 450 minutes plus text messaging. Then another $15-30 for a data plan if you have a smart phone (which I don't).

I think it's a great deal personally compared to what I paid in the past for land line and long distance charges. Maybe not worth it for people who seldom call anyone, but great deal for people who actually use the phone a lot, make lots of long distance calls etc.

I bought the LG Rumor Touch for virgin mobile. This phone is amazing! I love the web,touchscreen and big keyboard. I'm going to buy the $60 card tomorrow.The opera mini browser is fast and the games are fun too.Should have joined Virgin mobile years ago!

The cheapest cell phone plan ever is page plus I have done the research.

Their rates are 29.99 per month talk and text you get 1200 minutes and 2000 texts and 100mb data

There is an unlimited plan for 44.99 a month I think

You can also buy prepaid cards in denominations of $10 (100 minutes) $25 and a few other ones. The prepaid cards last 4 months before they expire. I haven't found another plan that lasts this long. If you purchase more minutes before the card runs out your minutes roll over so you don't lose your minutes.

You will need a verizon branded phone with a clean ESN/MEID though since it runs off the verizon prepaid network. You are on your own to find and set up your own phone. There are a few banned or supposedly banned phones but you will have to research this yourself. Blackberries are unofficially banned however many people have gotten them to activate recently.

You can put a smartphone on Page Plus with the $10/$25 plan and use wifi if you have a wifi capable smartphone that is a verizon branded phone, I am doing it right now! I have a Palm Pixi Plus. You can turn off data and do this, if you use data it comes out of your minutes and that can get used up pretty quick if you are on the $10 or $25 card plans.

I recommend going through an online dealer like kitty wireless or ugly eric, you can google them for more information on Page Plus. You can purchase minutes from these places too without having to actually buy a card. There is the possibility you might find a local dealer as well, but IMO local dealers are hard to find and most of them over here were shady locations. Better off just setting it up yourself.

I'm wanting to bite on the optimus, but I keep hearing about how good the Huawei ideos X6 is going to be. Anyone know anything about the Huawei ideos X6?

[quote name='thefallingscream']I've been thinking about getting a new phone for over a year now. I've been using net10/tracfone for over 3 years now and I'm tired of it.The phone that I have now isn't even a smartphone. I want something that has a touchscreen,3g,apps and a better camera.Walmart has cell phones for 97 cents. They said all I need is a 2 year contract and that's it. Is that any good? Am I going to get hit with charges that I don't know about or what? Really could use some help.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you want out a cell phone. I have the HTC Evo 4G(Sprint) and my bill is around $75 a month. Unlimited data, text, and 450 minutes free minutes starting at 7pm. I ended up paying $125 for this phone since I sold my previous Blackberry through Craigslist. If you want mobile hotspot that'll run you about $40 a month. Also if you get a 4G phone, there's an additional charge for the service even if you don't coverage in your area...

bread's done
Back