- - - - -

Are 2 year contracts for cell phones good or bad?

#31 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40129 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

The battery in the Optimus is bad you say? Did you mean intercept?

Haha, yeah. My mistake.

#32 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I have the Optimus through Virgin as well and I love it.

You really can't beat the price.

I think I might be trying that... Hope I can port my number though... What's the reception like though... ?

#33 Moltres423   Not easy being meaty CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Moltres423

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

I think I might be trying that... Hope I can port my number though... What's the reception like though... ?

Indeed. I think I'll be getting it too. Any idea if this phone gets the sprint navigation app? anyone mind confirming? I know it has google maps but I became accustomed to this particular app during a previous road trip.

#34 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40129 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

Reception is pretty good. I had Cricket before and at least in my area Virgin is a lot better.

And you can port your number, I did. They were just kind of slow about it...took like 3 days.

Indeed. I think I'll be getting it too. Any idea if this phone gets the sprint navigation app? anyone mind confirming? I know it has google maps but I became accustomed to this particular app during a previous road trip.

Not sure about that, I've always used google maps since that's what was always there. Google maps is pretty good though.

#35 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

Sprint's navigation sucks anyway...

Reception is pretty good. I had Cricket before and at least in my area Virgin is a lot better.

Where are you located? We don't have Cricket here. I believe they are CDMA right? Might be Sprint's towers.

Not sure about that, I've always used google maps since that's what was always there. Google maps is pretty good though.

Yeah, it works and is why I wouldn't miss GPS not on any other service's plan and charging extra. GM just works better.

#36 Moltres423   Not easy being meaty CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Moltres423

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

I hear the Optimus doesn't support flash? What does this mean for a droid phone? I know what flash is, I've just never owned a smart phone and don't know how significant this is.

#37 Vulgarism   We took this world to our graves. CAGiversary!   4150 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:30 AM

I ended up going out and getting the Optimus V because of this thread. I'm moving in four days across the country, and needed something that I could do a lot of internet-based stuff off of, and this thing is amazing. The $25 plan is great, and I'm in love. Thank you to the people who kept recommending it!

#38 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Sheeze, are people seriously paying $50 and up a MONTH just for a phone? I knew they were expensive but not that much. Even if the phone is free.

Sure. It's usually $40-50 for around 450 minutes plus text messaging. Then another $15-30 for a data plan if you have a smart phone (which I don't).

I think it's a great deal personally compared to what I paid in the past for land line and long distance charges. Maybe not worth it for people who seldom call anyone, but great deal for people who actually use the phone a lot, make lots of long distance calls etc.

#39 thefallingscream   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   111 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

thefallingscream

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

I bought the LG Rumor Touch for virgin mobile. This phone is amazing! I love the web,touchscreen and big keyboard. I'm going to buy the $60 card tomorrow.The opera mini browser is fast and the games are fun too.Should have joined Virgin mobile years ago!

#40 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5459 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

The cheapest cell phone plan ever is page plus I have done the research.

Their rates are 29.99 per month talk and text you get 1200 minutes and 2000 texts and 100mb data

There is an unlimited plan for 44.99 a month I think

You can also buy prepaid cards in denominations of $10 (100 minutes) $25 and a few other ones. The prepaid cards last 4 months before they expire. I haven't found another plan that lasts this long. If you purchase more minutes before the card runs out your minutes roll over so you don't lose your minutes.

You will need a verizon branded phone with a clean ESN/MEID though since it runs off the verizon prepaid network. You are on your own to find and set up your own phone. There are a few banned or supposedly banned phones but you will have to research this yourself. Blackberries are unofficially banned however many people have gotten them to activate recently.

You can put a smartphone on Page Plus with the $10/$25 plan and use wifi if you have a wifi capable smartphone that is a verizon branded phone, I am doing it right now! I have a Palm Pixi Plus. You can turn off data and do this, if you use data it comes out of your minutes and that can get used up pretty quick if you are on the $10 or $25 card plans.

I recommend going through an online dealer like kitty wireless or ugly eric, you can google them for more information on Page Plus. You can purchase minutes from these places too without having to actually buy a card. There is the possibility you might find a local dealer as well, but IMO local dealers are hard to find and most of them over here were shady locations. Better off just setting it up yourself.

#41 Moltres423   Not easy being meaty CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Moltres423

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'm wanting to bite on the optimus, but I keep hearing about how good the Huawei ideos X6 is going to be. Anyone know anything about the Huawei ideos X6?

#42 CheapAssHustla   Hustle..Hustle Hard CAGiversary!   8359 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CheapAssHustla

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

I've been thinking about getting a new phone for over a year now. I've been using net10/tracfone for over 3 years now and I'm tired of it.The phone that I have now isn't even a smartphone. I want something that has a touchscreen,3g,apps and a better camera.Walmart has cell phones for 97 cents. They said all I need is a 2 year contract and that's it. Is that any good? Am I going to get hit with charges that I don't know about or what? Really could use some help.

It depends on what you want out a cell phone. I have the HTC Evo 4G(Sprint) and my bill is around $75 a month. Unlimited data, text, and 450 minutes free minutes starting at 7pm. I ended up paying $125 for this phone since I sold my previous Blackberry through Craigslist. If you want mobile hotspot that'll run you about $40 a month. Also if you get a 4G phone, there's an additional charge for the service even if you don't coverage in your area...