Decent Blu Ray Player for 120-ish?

AshesofWake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I'm looking to get a blu ray player and I really don't want to spend much, but honestly I don't know much about them since i've never cared for blu ray until now. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated and what brands are usually good? I saw Vizio and RCA brands for 100 bucks but i honestly don't know if I should trust them. I would like netflix streaming, but not required since I have my 360.

Why not a PS3? It's only $100 more for a refurbished console. You get blu ray, netflix, 3D support and can play games.

PS3 is definitely the way to go. It's a good blu ray player, netflix on there, and the games. Seems silly to spend $120 for JUST the blu ray player when a bit more gets you the total package.

i've already ruled out a ps3, i used to own one and i honestly don't find it worth spending 100 dollars more for having the ability to play its games. not that i dont like the system, but its really not worth it for me, i played the games I wanted on it and no desire for anything else. Plus i don't like buying items like that refurbished or used, thus its a tad more expensive than i want it to be. To me a new PS3 runs 300 dollars plus tax, paying that much than less than half the price just for a blu ray player for now is worth it.

Look into whatever Insignia model Best Buy is currently selling. I got an Insignia Blu-ray player from BB on Black Friday a year or 2 back, and it's held up like a champ. Only Profile 1.1 (no online capability) and no analog audio outs, but I don't care about/need either of those; it does everything else I need - 1080p24 out, bitstreaming hi-def audio, no firmware updates necessary so far. Not a stellar standard DVD player, but that's what the HD-XA2 is for. :)

The Insignia NS-WBRDVD2 at Best Buy is ~$130 and has built-in Wi-Fi that streams Netflix, CinemaNow and Pandora. If you're looking for something new in this price range, this is a decent player that has everything you need. There are cheaper options if you don't need the built-in Wi-Fi for streaming.

[quote name='Spanky']Why not a PS3? It's only $100 more for a refurbished console that will probably die on you in 4 months.[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

If you get an Insignia don't update the firmware. You can change BD and DVD regions if you press Setup and 9113 on the remote.

Best cheap player right now is

Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Wi-Fi Ready 3D/2D Blu-ray Disc Player

it's around 129.00 at amazon

plus there is a mail in rebate for Avatar 3d disc free when you send in your upc and receipt

Just note that "wifi ready" means you have to buy an additional dongle to connect to the Internet. Not a big deal if you can hard wire.

i can hard wire, but how much do those dongles go for? are they specific to blu ray player or are they just any wireless dongle out there? sorry for the ignorance but i honestly havent researched blu ray players at all. plus cant find any newbie guides either :/

Take a look at this. They're horribly bulky and depending where you're putting your player it may get in the way. I have the LG BD-530 and love it. I got it on Black Friday but you can still get it a good price. It's pretty no-frills but not too lacking in features. I don't care about crap like Netflix because I already have a 360 hooked up to the TV and can connect my laptop in two seconds.

Anyone know how long it takes to get that Avatar movie from Panasonic in the mail? If you did sell it on ebay, then that player is a steal!!

I currently own a Sony, Panasonic, LG and Insignia BD players. I'd rate them.

1. LG
2. Insignia
3. Panasonic
4. Sony

The Panasonic DMP-BDT110 sounds like a pos. The reviews say Netflix doesn't even work.

[quote name='junglalien']I currently own a Sony, Panasonic, LG and Insignia BD players. I'd rate them.

1. LG
2. Insignia
3. Panasonic
4. Sony

The Panasonic DMP-BDT110 sounds like a pos. The reviews say Netflix doesn't even work.[/QUOTE]

1. What are the model numbers of the players you own? And according to what criteria did you rate/rank them?
2. Link to the BDT110 reviews?

Both Amazon and Best Buy are runing specials on this player,
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Wi-Fi Ready 3D/2D Blu-ray Disc Player.

At amazon it is $133 and you get two free movies from a really small list of less demand titles.

At Best Buy instore it is $149 plus tax and you get $40 in free movies.

I got it at best buy and really like this player. I had a older Samsung that was a complete POS. I alsmost moved one of my PS3 into this room but I really wanted a stand alone unit.

I'd say get a PS3. They go for under $200 on Craigslist easy. Right now there is a 320GB slim PS3 brand new on my local Craigslist for $175. Spending $100+ on a standalone blu ray player is a huge waste of money imo.

^^^ I don't know, buying used is to me is a waste of money, how do you know that the previous owner did not totally abuse it? What happens if it stops working in a couple of months. Since the OP and some people don't want a PS3 and since the thread is titled "Decent Blu Ray Player for 120-ish?, I think people want to know about deals on stand alone players.

Besides, some people want to run an HDMI from the PS3 direct to the TV and want to run an optical straight from the player to a receiver. This is not possible with PS3, best I can remember.

[quote name='basketb']+1 on the Panasonic (especially if you sell the Avatar movie on ebay for $100+).[/QUOTE]

+2 and now when you buy it you can grab $40 worth of movies free instore on the same receipt. Deal is good thru 4/23 I believe.

[quote name='iluvmywife']^^^ I don't know, buying used is to me is a waste of money, how do you know that the previous owner did not totally abuse it? What happens if it stops working in a couple of months. Since the OP and some people don't want a PS3 and since the thread is titled "Decent Blu Ray Player for 120-ish?, I think people want to know about deals on stand alone players.

Besides, some people want to run an HDMI from the PS3 direct to the TV and want to run an optical straight from the player to a receiver. This is not possible with PS3, best I can remember.

+2 and now when you buy it you can grab $40 worth of movies free instore on the same receipt. Deal is good thru 4/23 I believe.[/QUOTE]

PS3s have an optical out, and HDMI of course, so why not?

It's hard to recommend any stand-alone player with the PS3 around, since it's one of the best blu-ray players on the market. Honestly, any player at $120 or less would do for the simple task of playing most blu-ray discs, and if you want more features, then you should buy the PS3. You won't find a better blu-ray player for less than $500 or so than the PS3.

sigh, i just hate buying consoles used and 300 is too much for a ps3 personally for me.

but alas...I have a lot of amazon credit, might as well just keep saving, haha.

The HTGuys just reviewed a rather cheap one.
They liked it a lot
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-Ray player.
It's 3D capable and running at 129 on amazon.
And it qualifies for the free 3D copy of Avatar.

[quote name='sunnysky']The HTGuys just reviewed a rather cheap one.
They liked it a lot
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-Ray player.
It's 3D capable and running at 129 on amazon.
And it qualifies for the free 3D copy of Avatar.[/QUOTE]

sigh, for a second i thought it was a wifi, or i would have grabbed :(

think I'll just wait it out a bit see if the ps3 price drops in a month or so and just say screw it and get a basic panasonic player with no crazy whistles

Best Buy's wi-fi enabled Insignia player is working out well in my bedroom (PS3 is in the living room). It mostly plays Netflix, but I've never had issues with it playing discs like I've found with every other cheap disc player I've purchased. I believe it runs $120 or close to it.

Edit: The one I linked to appears to be the new version of the one I purchased last year. Mine is a bit sluggish on the menus, but it works great otherwise and they may have fixed that in the new version.

[quote name='JasonTerminator'] You won't find a better blu-ray player for less than $500 or so than the PS3.[/QUOTE]

What a load of crap. PS3 sucks as a BD player. The PQ is terrible. I only use it as a back up for watching BDs. You are out of your mind if you think PS3 is better than the Oppo BDP-93 which costs $499.00. The cheaper LGs blow the PS3 away for PQ. Hell even the budget Insignias have better PQ than PS3. I should know seeing as I have 5 stand alone BD players and a PS3. PS3 is the last one I would use to watch BDs with my projector and 106" screen.

To the OP - Don't listen to these clueless gaming fanboys. Go to AVS and get answers from true videophiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
There IS one little problem with the PS3 as a blu ray player.
Not a big deal to a lot of people, BUT
The PS3 uses 3 to 4 times as much electricity when running a blu ray than any standard Blu Ray player.
(According to X-Play. If you think you can believe them).

[quote name='aspen1284']Anyone know how long it takes to get that Avatar movie from Panasonic in the mail? If you did sell it on ebay, then that player is a steal!![/QUOTE]

Sigh, its been almost 4 weeks and I still have not got my 3d movie in. I have a bravia 3d (55") with every console hooked up to it :) 3Dtv is sick. You have to see it to realize what your missing out on, the gaming is the sole reason I purchased it. I just bought a 3rd pair of new sony glasses too (the revised ones, 30% lighter, and re-chargeable).

I am DYING to get avatar in 3d.... damn mail in rebates...

bread's done
Back