Resident Evil 4 - 1600 Points - Now available. Yes kids, you can pay with MS points!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
resident-evil-4-hd-hitting-psn-and-xbox-live-20110324083509509_640w.jpg

Resident Evil 4 has been remade as an HD downloadable title for the Games on Demand service. Both the original game and The Separate Ways side-story starring Ada Wong are included. RE4 HD costs 1600 Points/$19.99 to download. It's only being released to retail in Japan and Asia.

Achievements
Reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really interested in Code: Veronica since I went through it on the DC. But RE4 is something that eluded me originally so I'll probably check this out.

I literally paused RE4 on my PS2 to get on CAG and read some forums and this thread was at the top of the page.

This is the first game like this to come to XBLA, right? Meaning it's not Games on Demand and it's not XBLA. Maybe it will be XBLA, but I was hoping for 1000 achievement points.

It probably is Games on Demand since it's going to be a retail release in Japan. AND, more importantly, they're separate releases in Japan. So...probably not going to be cheap.

Yikes, forgot about the Japanese release. Well, if it's Games on Demand, I'd expect it to cost $30. GoD would be better for Achievements, but XBLA would top out at $15, so I'd prefer XBLA.

[quote name='eastx']Yikes, forgot about the Japanese release. Well, if it's Games on Demand, I'd expect it to cost $30. GoD would be better for Achievements, but XBLA would top out at $15, so I'd prefer XBLA.[/QUOTE]

I'm down for it to be XBLA too.

I'm definitely getting this in some way, shape, or form, but I'm wondering if there will be an eventual disc release in the US, or a region-free PAL version I can import. If not, I'll probably end up getting RE4 on both consoles eventually.

If they include Move support for the PS3 version, my Wii copy will finally become obsolete.

I'm going to get this and gladly finally be able to play this game like it should, HD graphics and analog controls for fine tuned beautiful head shots.

[quote name='HotShotX']Day 1 Purchase.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Master Troll']Seconded.[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt. I cannot even remember how times I played through this on the GameCube. Easily one of my favorite games ever and will gladly pay for an HD update.

I think beating this game 4 times is enough for me. Now if they redid this game with the RE5 engine........now that would be worth buying.

I don't think I ever got around to finishing RE4 last time around, and I'm apparently one of only eight people who enjoyed RE5. I'm really ready to play it again.

I love the "HD comparison screenshot" that's only 640x360 pixels.

Unless they're actually updating the models and textures, this is a bit silly, really. I can already do this with the PC version of RE4.

It seems more like a marketing quick photoshop make up than actual screenshot yeah. If anything though the gameplay and pacing of RE4 made it what it was.

Actually I just found out I still have a sealed copy of the Wii version, so I think I really ought to play that instead of buying this one. Achievements are appealing, but the Wii pointer controls are more so - I've never been good at analog stick control for shooters. No PS3 here, so no Move option for me.

[quote name='Survivalism']I don't think I ever got around to finishing RE4 last time around, and I'm apparently one of only eight people who enjoyed RE5. I'm really ready to play it again.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't know anyone who didn't like RE5, it was fantastic and is still one of the best looking 360 games imo. I'll get RE4 for sure a 3rd time and I never finished Code: Veronica for PS2 because it was so damn hard, so I'll get that too and try again.

RE4 was much better than RE5 in my opinion.

After playing Dead Space, RE5 felt outdated especially with the tank controls and the enemies (shoot the head!). Sure the game looked nice, but gameplay was severely lacking.

[quote name='antlp89']RE4 was much better than RE5 in my opinion.

After playing Dead Space, RE5 felt outdated especially with the tank controls and the enemies (shoot the head!). Sure the game looked nice, but gameplay was severely lacking.[/QUOTE]

The controls aren't any better in 4, dude... And I doubt they'll be fixed up much in the HD remake, but we'll see.

[quote name='eastx']The controls aren't any better in 4, dude... And I doubt they'll be fixed up much in the HD remake, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Well Resident Evil 4 was the first of it's type so obvious the controls have aged when compared to Dead space.

Resident Evil 4 being on clearance at Toys R' Us was one of the first deals I read about on CAG, and it ended up being one of my favorite games on the Gamecube. It kind of sucks that this will end up being a typical XBLA release with only 200 achievement points, but I'm looking forward to finally playing the PS2 exclusive content.

I never played either but I guess nows the best time to hop on the Resident Evil bandwagon. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

RE5 wasn't as good as RE4 (imho) MAINLY because of the stupid partner system. SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! I'm sure you get the point already.

They also didn't really add much new, just better graphics and a meh story (I feel like Wesker was raped.) That and Leon Kennedy is just infinitely more badass in RE4.

RE5 vs Dead Space? Dead Space was definitely more better - better control, graphics, inventory system, etc. Everything felt new in Dead Space while RE5 felt like a weak attempt at topping the already classic RE4. Though they relied on a lot of cheap scares in Dead Space it didn't seem to bother me at all.

RE5 is still a good game though, not something I would recommend skipping regardless considering It can be had for $20 or less most places.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']RE5 wasn't as good as RE4 (imho) MAINLY because of the stupid partner system. SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! I'm sure you get the point already.[/QUOTE]

Was it that much worse than having to protect whats-her-name in RE4?

[quote name='eastx']Source?[/QUOTE]

Common sense. All of the games on demand games are downloadable releases of previously released disc based games.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Common sense. All of the games on demand games are downloadable releases of previously released disc based games.[/QUOTE]

That was my first instinct too, but I don't know now. Precedent can change, especially since we know it's getting a disc-based release in Japan. Either the disc will be an arcade compilation, or it'll be 1 or 2 retails discs with 1,000 GamerScore each. If that happens, these games could be the first Games on Demand with no US disc releases.

[quote name='eastx']If that happens, these games could be the first Games on Demand with no US disc releases.[/QUOTE]

But...they won't be? I'm not sure why there's even a question about this. They won't be released through Games on Demand. No one needs a source to figure that out.

[quote name='eastx']That was my first instinct too, but I don't know now. Precedent can change, especially since we know it's getting a disc-based release in Japan. Either the disc will be an arcade compilation, or it'll be 1 or 2 retails discs with 1,000 GamerScore each. If that happens, these games could be the first Games on Demand with no US disc releases.[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, in Japan they're 2 separate releases. I could be wrong, but considering Capcom thought it was wise to release Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil on Wii this generation with no additional functions for $30 a piece on discs, I think that's what they'll do.

What will the digital prices be? Cheaper undoubtedly, but I don't expect them to be $10. $15 probably, but they go $20 for RE4 and $15 for CV.

They'll probably both be $15. I can't think of the last release that came out at a full 1600 points. Even that Penny-Arcade game eventually got a price drop.

No joke, if this would be a disc release I'd pay $60 and buy it release day. If this is GoD/XBLA I'll pay $30, but no more for a downloadable.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Was it that much worse than having to protect whats-her-name in RE4?[/QUOTE]

Yes because that wasn't the majority of the game. Sheeva is pretty much with you from start to finish. I only recall maybe a half hour or so in RE4 that was borderline annoying/frustrating having to protect her.
Now if you replace Sheeva with a local co-op partner or online partner things are different albeit a bit too easy.

RE4 was one of my favorite video games of all time. Then, after playing Dead Space, I went back to play again, and it just wasn't the same :-({|=

I'll check out RE4 if it's in the $10-$13 range on XBLA, or wait for a DotW if it's not.

[quote name='tcrash247']I actually don't know anyone who didn't like RE5, it was fantastic and is still one of the best looking 360 games imo. I'll get RE4 for sure a 3rd time and I never finished Code: Veronica for PS2 because it was so damn hard, so I'll get that too and try again.[/QUOTE]

I don't follow Resident Evil particularly closely but it felt like one of those games that was doomed from the start because everybody was saying "well it's never going to be as good as RE4." I thought it was great but the horror aspect was virtually non-existent. I remember playing RE4 and constantly going "fuck, this is creepy."

bread's done
Back