DS Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes $15.99 eligible for FShip

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Amazing game... which still isn't on PSN yet :/[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, should I just wait until it comes out on XBLA or PSN (I believe it's out within the next month), or just go ahead and buy it now?

While I'd love being able to take the game on the go (DSi), I'd probably enjoy the game more playing online against others.

Good deal. Was not a fan of the title, however. Was too much "match three" of which I wasn't a fan. Just so folks realize that it definitely focuses on more puzzle than RPG. For some folks, it's good thing. Good game, but not my cup of tea.

Enjoyed this enough on the DS that I am waiting to get in on XBLA when it is released. A lot of fun for RPG(lite) and Puzzle fans :)

[quote name='TheKbob']Good deal. Was not a fan of the title, however. Was too much "match three" of which I wasn't a fan. Just so folks realize that it definitely focuses on more puzzle than RPG. For some folks, it's good thing. Good game, but not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way. I really wanted to enjoy the game but after 4 or 5 hours put it aside.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It helped me kill 6 cross-country flights. The RPG elements are very much minimized, but the puzzle-based combat had me hooked. Add in more legit RPG elements and it'd be one deadly-awesome combination.

I absolutely loved this game and highly recommend it.

It's worth noting though that this game is not really an RPG. I'd say it's more of a puzzle game with a few RPG elements. With that said, there is still a lot of depth to the puzzle game, especially when you get towards the latter half of the game. To me, this game was like a much much better take on the Puzzle Quest formula (I got tired of Puzzle Quest's Bejeweled type gameplay pretty fast).

Sadly I'm going to pass. I can't imagine this being more than $14.99 on PSN or 1200 Points on XBLA. Now if it was $9.99, I'd jump all over it.

So how does the gameplay compare to puzzle quest? Is it like match 3 stones or is it something different?. I can't find a really good video that gives me a idea of what the gameplay is like.

[quote name='Vap']So how does the gameplay compare to puzzle quest? Is it like match 3 stones or is it something different?. I can't find a really good video that gives me a idea of what the gameplay is like.[/QUOTE]

The goal is usually to reduce your opponent's HP to zero by launching attacks that hit the top of the screen (your army is at the bottom, opponent is at the top). Instead of puzzle pieces, you have color coded units (you select your army composition) that come in three sizes: 1x1, 1x2, and 2x2 squares. The larger units are harder to move and attack with but are more powerful. You have three moves per turn where you can move any unit that is in a back row of a column to any other column's back row. Matching 3 of the same 1x1 unit type & color horizontally creates a defensive wall that automatically moves to the front of the battlefield to defend from attacks. Stacking same colored units vertically combines units for an attack, which usually takes place a few turns later. Making combos gives you extra moves, and there are also advanced techniques like links and fusions.

There are 5 different factions, each with unique units and properties. Your heroes can equip a single artifact that conveys various effects, and they also have a special attack they can unleash once their magic meter fills. There is an RPG-style leveling system for both your characters and your units, but those elements are fairly light.

I already have this on the DS, and will probably get the XBLA version as well. I think Puzzle Quest is great, but I think I like this a little more. The combat is more fun, and I wanted to keep playing even after I finished the story mode. The DS has a quick battle mode, but hopefully the XBLA version will allow you to play against others on-line.

I enjoyed the game that it definitely was worth the $20 I paid, but it does get old after a while. They try to throw in different interesting things to mix it up, but really the game has a whole lot of the same puzzle stuff. I felt about the same way about puzzle quest, but I'm also glad I played that too (I don't think I'll ever finish either one, but I tend to be that way!). If you really liked puzzle quest but didn't like puzzle quest 2 because it was just more puzzle quest, give this a try.

hmm is this really a deal? Ive been watching it for a few months and its been hovering at about 16-17 bucks the whole time. Actually looks like its back up to about 18 right now

If anyone is choosing between the downloadable versions or the DS, it's a pretty easy decision. Given all the bonus content for the XBL/PSN version, there's no real point to get it on the DS. I am sort of surprised it held its price for such a long time. IMO the $15 DS version isn't much of an impulse buy but yeah, get your hands on the game one way or another.

hmm, what are you saying, this is avalible on the PSN? For the psp or the Ps3? I hadn't heard anything about that.

I just looked and its definitely not available for the PSP via a retail copy. If its just a digital download i will definitely pass, i hate digital medai. I need to have a hard copy

Cant say anything more here that hasn't already been said, but if you have the option, I'd wait for the psn/xbla version for the online play alone, that's what's going to give this some real extended replayability.

[quote name='sevast']I enjoyed the game that it definitely was worth the $20 I paid, but it does get old after a while.[/QUOTE]

Old? I felt it got deeper as it progressed and it refreshed with each faction you switched too all the way to the end. All the attack/defense units and special powers are different so the strategy always changes.

This game is my favorite DS game and I still play battles and handicap myself just to make the game harder. Previously, Puzzle Quest was my favorite DS game, but once I got near the end of Clash, I realized it is actually a cooler game.

[quote name='ColdBrew']My understanding is the release date is April 13th at least for Xbox Live. And around the same time for PSN.

http://go.ign.com/glBVVm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update! I've been waiting for over a year for a XBLA release. Will buy it day one. I know the developers have rebalanced the factions so that multiplayer will be much better. Plus they added a co-op (vs) mode!

After this, I hope they start working on a sequel.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Speaking of which, should I just wait until it comes out on XBLA or PSN (I believe it's out within the next month), or just go ahead and buy it now?

While I'd love being able to take the game on the go (DSi), I'd probably enjoy the game more playing online against others.[/QUOTE]
It's out on PSN/XBLA next week and it'll probably be $15.

For those saying it's not an RPG, it's more of a strategy RPG where you're setting up attacks to get through an enemy's defenses to damage them along with building walls to protect yourself against their attacks. The mechanics of doing that are puzzle-ish, but it's still an RPG.

The "boss" battles killed this game for me. They basically throw a wrench in how you've been playing the game and end up requiring grinding if you aren't set up just right.

I got to one in particular that made me trade the game in. When I checked online I wasn't the only one that found that exact battle just a bit too much.

[quote name='Vap']So how does the gameplay compare to puzzle quest? Is it like match 3 stones or is it something different?. I can't find a really good video that gives me a idea of what the gameplay is like.[/QUOTE]

Other people have given very good responses, but I'll chime in too: The game is sort of a blend of Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack, Meteos, and Magic the Gathering. It's turn-based, and you have a limited number of moves to arrange your characters to form vertical or horizontal lines, which either charge up attacks or create walls for defense. After attacks charge for a number of rounds, they launch at the enemy, and if you break through the defenses in that column and hit the enemy general, you tick off some HP.

The Magic reference comes not only in how you're trying to break through the other player's units, but also in how you choose your own "deck" layout; you have a small choice of types of units, each with different balances (some are weaker but charge faster; some are slower and have better defense; etc.). You can also stack attacks together, so if certain units attack in tandem they'll strengthen up. And you've also got Champion/Elite units, which rely on your basic units as fuel but can create massive chain attacks.

It's a hell of a game, and quietly one of the best DS puzzle-RPG hybrids to come out since the original Puzzle Quest (it's better than PQ, in my opinion). The XBLA/PSN version is coming out very soon with online multiplayer and generally better balance, but having the game in a portable format is also really nice, as it plays well in short bursts.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Speaking of which, should I just wait until it comes out on XBLA or PSN (I believe it's out within the next month), or just go ahead and buy it now?

While I'd love being able to take the game on the go (DSi), I'd probably enjoy the game more playing online against others.[/QUOTE]

Obviously wait for the XBLA/PSN release. It's supposed to hit PSN NEXT WEEK, and probably XBLA too.

I'm going to go against the grain here and stand up for the DS version. Stylus controls ftw. On the other hand, I loved Critter Crunch (same developer) on PSN and that was more frantic than M&M. Great game though, makes puzzle quest its bitch IMO.

bread's done
Back