- - - - -

PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

#1291 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

You get to keep everything except the one big name title. Minis, DLC, avatars, themes, PSX games, etc. all stay.

I beg to differ. You keep everything IF you keep a subscription going with PS+. I've listed just a few examples below, but every site detailing PS+ mentioned that you only keep the free games IF you stay subscribed. So in a month once the free month is up you'll lose all the content you're getting from Sony. No deal.

From last year(multiple sources) when PS+ launched:

1up.com: http://www.1up.com/n...tion-incentives

Spoiler

Kotaku AU: http://www.kotaku.co...aystation-plus/
Spoiler

#1292 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4921 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

Although I feel Sony should have given us details sooner, I appreciate how they are taking their time to make sure this doesn't happen again. And wow, I didn't think I would be right about the free PS+ trial yet there was the news.

Now I just wish they would let us log in to at least give us the chance to change our passwords, credit card info. and what not. Once that happens, I think people will really start calming down. It would also be nice if we can log in to their online services like their message board and the Gamer Advisory Panel.

#1293 Chitown021   CAG, I'm back babeeeeee! CAGiversary!   5542 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:22 AM

I beg to differ. You keep everything IF you keep a subscription going with PS+. I've listed just a few examples below, but every site detailing PS+ mentioned that you only keep the free games IF you stay subscribed. So in a month once the free month is up you'll lose all the content you're getting from Sony. No deal.

From last year(multiple sources) when PS+ launched:

1up.com: http://www.1up.com/n...tion-incentives

Kotaku AU: http://www.kotaku.co...aystation-plus/

If PSN+ still works this same way when the network comes back and everyone gets their free month then that sucks. That makes this such an empty gesture. I wonder if they set it up that way to prevent people that gameshare from taking advantage? That way you can't have one person go PSN+ and several others reap the benefits.

#1294 Salamando3000   For Good or for Awesome CAGiversary!   1757 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Salamando3000

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

If PSN+ still works this same way when the network comes back and everyone gets their free month then that sucks. That makes this such an empty gesture. I wonder if they set it up that way to prevent people that gameshare from taking advantage? That way you can't have one person go PSN+ and several others reap the benefits.

It's accurate...free games require an active PS+ subscription to use. Avatars/themes are free to use no matter if you're subscribed or not. Anything you buy at their discounted rate is similarly not tied to having an active description.

There's also going to be other free content that they didn't discuss because it'll be region dependent.

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

I think the PS+ trial and free content are going to wind up being a big joke, but maybe i'll be proven wrong. It just feels like instead of giving consumers something valuable for their inconvenience/downtime they're basically trying to promote their paid service in hopes that more people will buy it. Basically, an advertisement.

Sony done fucked up, no matter how you try to spin it. Every 3rd party that sells content on PSN has now been burned by their marketplace. There's no positive in it for them on this. All this has done is further establish their position as a "b-tier" online marketplace next to things like Steam, the App Store, and XBLA.

#1296 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

Bye bye Howie?

http://www.industryg...ll-game-trader/

#1297 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

Considering he wasn't in-charge when PSN was built, the answer is no. Kaz was there, he's in charge now, it's his ass on the hot seat.

#1298 jh6269   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1630 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

The article does have some really good points. Especially about the whole music and movies business being integrated with the PlayStation brand. I really don't get the reasoning behind keeping all of Sony's businesses siloed.

#1299 mtxbass1   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   11092 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

Bye bye Howie?

http://www.industryg...ll-game-trader/

Good luck with that.

#1300 Kyle Kross   yohohohoho CAGiversary!   1568 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Kyle Kross

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

Actually, only "free" games are taken away when your PS+ ends. All free DLC, themes, avatars, and PS+ discounted content (including games) that you bought are yours to keep forever, even without PS+. It's only the 100% free games (ps3, ps1, psp, minis) you lose.

So if you got a free avatar from PS+, you can keep using it as your avatar even without PS+. If you got a free DLC pack from PS+, you can access that DLC in your game even without PS+. If you bought a $3.99 game off PS+ that was normally priced $9.99, you can keep accessing it without PS+.

#1301 GTmaster39   Wes Wes Ya'll CAGiversary!   1188 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

GTmaster39

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

Actually, only "free" games are taken away when your PS+ ends. All free DLC, themes, avatars, and PS+ discounted content (including games) that you bought are yours to keep forever, even without PS+. It's only the 100% free games (ps3, ps1, psp, minis) you lose.

So if you got a free avatar from PS+, you can keep using it as your avatar even without PS+. If you got a free DLC pack from PS+, you can access that DLC in your game even without PS+. If you bought a $3.99 game off PS+ that was normally priced $9.99, you can keep accessing it without PS+.

See I was under the impression that they take all that stuff away from you once the subscription ends. Might actually hop on board if this is the case.

#1302 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

Only problem with that is, what kinda DLC packs do they give out with PS+? Probably stuff for games I'll have absolutely ZERO interest in buying or DLC for downloadable titles that're overpriced and NEVER go on sale.:roll:

Although I will say that them discounting Deathspank a while ago to $10 or so was a good thing, since that game was fun and entertaining for $10.

To me, paying more than $5-10 for anything that's just a file on my HDD is still redonkulous since you never 'own' it, but for those who have no qualms about it then more power to you.;)

As long as you can just 'opt out' or delay getting into the PS+ thing until they mention what's up for 'free' with the free month then I'm ok with it. But I have a feeling it's going to be a hassle if you don't click off auto renew or whatever like Frisky said.

#1303 Romis   Honor Among CAGS CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

A cool thing to offer as a token of good faith would be allow free movie rentals for a month to existing account holders

#1304 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

I'm thinking that they might make next month the free month for everyone (subsribers and not) and the free games you download during that time will still be playable. That would keep sony from being bigger assholes than they already are, and would solve the problem of non subscribers not being able to access the games after the month is up.

#1305 Average Gamer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Average Gamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

God, I hope it comes on sometime this week before the weekend. I have Socom and MK sitting around. Can't wait to play with the fam again online. Blah

#1306 edson13   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1478 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

anyone else get the weekly psn email today? I got excited for a bit and thought that it was back up. Sadly no, kind of odd to get it right now though, hopefully it means its only a day or two away.

#1307 Chitown021   CAG, I'm back babeeeeee! CAGiversary!   5542 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:21 AM

anyone else get the weekly psn email today? I got excited for a bit and thought that it was back up. Sadly no, kind of odd to get it right now though, hopefully it means its only a day or two away.

Yep, I got it earlier this morning and did the same thing. I think it's funny that in the e-mail Sony acts like it's business as usual.

#1308 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

Well they said on the 24th that it was coming back up within a week (an article that I can't recall atm), I guess they lied, unless it's back up by tonight.

#1309 Average Gamer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Average Gamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

If i recall, the message from last week Tuesday indicated "7-days" so I am assuming this upcoming tueday, it should be back on.

#1310 Kyle Kross   yohohohoho CAGiversary!   1568 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Kyle Kross

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

They said in the official blog yesterday that all PSN services, with the exception of the Store, will be up this week. Sadly, the Store isn't coming back online till later in the month... which is stupid. Guess they still have work to do, and at least this way they can get people back to playing online sooner which is what most people want.

#1311 Josh5890   For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228 CAGiversary!   3029 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

A cool thing to offer as a token of good faith would be allow free movie rentals for a month to existing account holders

I would rape that offer so much it would be sweet. Go for it Sony!

#1312 Chitown021   CAG, I'm back babeeeeee! CAGiversary!   5542 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

They said in the official blog yesterday that all PSN services, with the exception of the Store, will be up this week. Sadly, the Store isn't coming back online till later in the month... which is stupid. Guess they still have work to do, and at least this way they can get people back to playing online sooner which is what most people want.

Yeah, Fuck the store, I just want to gets me some more Uncharted 2 co-op going again.

#1313 david12795  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

Yeah, Fuck the store, I just want to gets me some more Uncharted 2 co-op going again.

OT but how is UC2 co-op? is it the same story as single player? none of my friends have a ps3 so i have no one to play it with :cry:

#1314 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

I just wanna be able to fly a chopper underneath Liberty City again with friends and shoot up random jackholes who come into my free mode game trying to make it into an impromptu deathmatch till they leave again.:lol:

That's all I ask for, that's all I want.;)

OT but how is UC2 co-op? is it the same story as single player? none of my friends have a ps3 so i have no one to play it with :cry:

It's ok, but unless you take your time or you're a decent shot you're gonna possibly get annihilated often. The one scene with the snipers is especially tricky.:cry:

I still have my non GOTY edition from the Black Friday bundle Amazon shipped me almost two months ago from AWD sealed. I should crack it open and replay the single player on my HD monitor now that I can see what's going on on-screen.

#1315 Chitown021   CAG, I'm back babeeeeee! CAGiversary!   5542 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

I've had lots of fun with the UC2 on-line co-op. Especially the onslaught mode or whatever they call it where it's three player against 10 waves of enemy soldiers that get more and more difficult.

#1316 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

No. 3 stages, all from the main story but really a part of it and dont add a new things to the story. Can play easy - crushing. I had fun with them. I love the crap out of it though.

#1317 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

I've had lots of fun with the UC2 on-line co-op. Especially the onslaught mode or whatever they call it where it's three player against 10 waves of enemy soldiers that get more and more difficult.

I had fun with the co-op when playing with only friends, but I could NOT stand the competitive modes. It just seemed like far too many people either glitched into walls or were super snipers with every weapon.:roll:

#1318 Chitown021   CAG, I'm back babeeeeee! CAGiversary!   5542 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

I had fun with the co-op when playing with only friends, but I could NOT stand the competitive modes. It just seemed like far too many people either glitched into walls or were super snipers with every weapon.:roll:

Yeah I usually stick with the co-op for the same reason. I get killed so fast in deathmatch that it's just no fun. The only problem with co-op is that occasional a-hole that decided to turn goldrush or onslaught into his/her own personal deathmatch and just starts gunning down teammates. It doesn't happen very often but once in awhile you get one.

I wonder if these recent PSN issues were why my on-line matches were so unstable the last time I played? It seems like on every other match I'd run into a network error halfway through the game and we'd get booted out. Not sure if it was PSN, the other players' network connection, or my router. Here recently my Netgear router.DSL modem combo unit has been giving me all kinds of problems w/ my AT&T service.

#1319 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

I would rape that offer so much it would be sweet. Go for it Sony!

I think most people would rape that, causing more downtime due to server overload. :P

#1320 david12795  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

i cant wait to see UC3 multiplayer. it seems to get better and better

every time i try to get on UC2 online it always freezes on me with its "connecting"