Demon's Souls w/ soundtrack $15.06

This would be an easy buy for me but I really don't want that ugly ass red case in my collection. Oh well, it's seems to be a good deal so thanks for posting :)

^Those cases do look terrible so glad I bought the Deluxe Edition when it came out, haha. Any one who hasn't played the game yet should definitely give it a try, has to be one of my all time favs.

For anyone's whose purchased this, does it come with a Not for Resale UPC? I'd like to try it and then trade it in to Amazon if I'm not a fan.

[quote name='VaultDweller']terrible soundtrack, not worth it, go for the game alone to save a few bucks[/QUOTE]

Was wondering about why everyone wanted this soundtrack. I'll continue to wait. Although completely OT if you do like soundtracks the Sucker Punch soundtrack is awesome!

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Was wondering about why everyone wanted this soundtrack. I'll continue to wait. Although completely OT if you do like soundtracks the Sucker Punch soundtrack is awesome![/QUOTE]

Dang, I want to see Sucker Punch!

[quote name='xlaxparkax']Anyone who owns a PS3 and does not own a copy of this game should get shot.[/QUOTE]

I'm normally a pacifist, but this is a statement I can get behind.

[quote name='VaultDweller']terrible soundtrack, not worth it, go for the game alone to save a few bucks[/QUOTE]

The stand-alone game is selling for $19.99

This game + soundtrack is actually few bucks cheaper.

[quote name='henryVIII']The stand-alone game is selling for $19.99

This game + soundtrack is actually few bucks cheaper.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking.

DANG it people! I'm leaning towards just breaking down and buying it...but a game everyone goes on about "it's great because it's super hard!"? And the Giant Bomb guys don't like it... I don't know.

Guess the sequel is multiplatform, and weirdly Atlus that spent the money popularizing it here can't afford the rights to the sequel? That kind of sucks...I mean I understand how it happened, but it kind of sucks for a smaller publisher to take the risk, and then lose out to a larger one for the sequel that's only coming because of their work and risk :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's what I was thinking.

DANG it people! I'm leaning towards just breaking down and buying it...but a game everyone goes on about "it's great because it's super hard!"? And the Giant Bomb guys don't like it... I don't know.

Guess the sequel is multiplatform, and weirdly Atlus that spent the money popularizing it here can't afford the rights to the sequel? That kind of sucks...I mean I understand how it happened, but it kind of sucks for a smaller publisher to take the risk, and then lose out to a larger one for the sequel that's only coming because of their work and risk :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that it being difficult is the only reason that it's a fantastic game, that's just one great aspect to it. It's the core gameplay that's so damn satisfying.

It's not often that I replay games since my backlog is so ridiculously huge, but I've beaten Demon Souls four times and had to pull myself away from it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's what I was thinking.

Guess the sequel is multiplatform, and weirdly Atlus that spent the money popularizing it here can't afford the rights to the sequel? That kind of sucks...I mean I understand how it happened, but it kind of sucks for a smaller publisher to take the risk, and then lose out to a larger one for the sequel that's only coming because of their work and risk :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Its a deep, rewarding game. One of the more memorable games I've played.

But make no mistake about it, this game requires a hefty investment of your time and patience. If you don't have the time or patience to really get the most out of this game, I think you'd be ok passing on it for now.

If you're looking for a deep, rewarding experience, however, and you do have the time to put into this game, its a no brainer

[quote name='Camwi']I wouldn't say that it being difficult is the only reason that it's a fantastic game, that's just one great aspect to it. It's the core gameplay that's so damn satisfying.

It's not often that I replay games since my backlog is so ridiculously huge, but I've beaten Demon Souls four times and had to pull myself away from it.[/QUOTE]

Damn it, couldn't SOMEONE say it sucks? :lol:

The being hard being great thing I can't fathom. I've never played anything that I liked because it was hard-always despite it, assuming I was still able to finish it. (Most recent super hard game that I actually liked was Viewtiful Joe...though I'd have still preferred it by half as hard...I do not like hard.)

The way it uses internet connectivity sounds unique.

[quote name='henryVIII']Its a deep, rewarding game. One of the more memorable games I've played.

But make no mistake about it, this game requires a hefty investment of your time and patience. If you don't have the time or patience to really get the most out of this game, I think you'd be ok passing on it for now.[/QUOTE]

Hard to know for sure. My patience with games is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY lower than when I was a kid (ironically, since they always act like kids don't have patience).

But on the other hand, if something really grabs me I can just sync however much time into it. Like Deadly Premonition-LOVE that game to pieces, and I was doing...well, not all, but maybe half the optional stuff, and just so engrossed in it. So it's POSSIBLE something can grab me like that.

If only it were like $8 or something I'd go for it for sure :lol:

Then ironically it might turn out to be like Deadly Premonition, where I'd have gladly paid $60 for it...after learning how good it was.

It takes a lot for me to dislike something. I like so many different types of games so I for sure thought I would like this one after all the praise I had read on here and the Amazon reviews the last time it was on sale over the holidays.

One of the more recent reviews I read sums it up perfectly for me "I don't have the patience for this type of game". I really don't and it isn't so much a "hard' game because it isn't, a lot of it is just pointless to me. Not to mention this game is filled with exploits and that is a huge negative to me. More power to everyone who has the time to push through this aggravating mess of a game though.

The story is definitely one those "I don't why I'm killing this dude, but so what" stories for me. The only negative I have is that the bosses are too easy to cheese. Still, I loved this game, and the first level on the first playthrough was the most fun I had this generation.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Damn it, couldn't SOMEONE say it sucks? :lol:

The being hard being great thing I can't fathom. I've never played anything that I liked because it was hard-always despite it, assuming I was still able to finish it. (Most recent super hard game that I actually liked was Viewtiful Joe...though I'd have still preferred it by half as hard...I do not like hard.)

The way it uses internet connectivity sounds unique.[/QUOTE]

I think people enjoy the difficulty so much because so many games these days hold gamers by the hand and never let go.

But hey, I see you've got a couple of negative opinions in this thread now. They're terrible opinions, though. ;)

[quote name='Camwi']I think people enjoy the difficulty so much because so many games these days hold gamers by the hand and never let go.[/quote]

This is an excellent thing IMO :lol:

I can't believe how bad some game design used to be. Shops need to spell out how stuff changes your stats. The game should teach you how to play itself, etc., and difficulty should be done so I never or rarely ever die IMO. Anything else and it's a failure of the game.

Guess I missed the negative ones!

Dang, listening to the March 8th Giant Bombcast right now, and I think it was Vinny who had just finished Demon's Souls, and he said it never really "clicked" for him, never turned a corner where he's like "oh, I get it now, this is AWESOME!" and he still had stuff where he dies and restarts 20 times or something :whistle2:/

[quote name='bluedeviltron']It's not a good hard. It's a terrible, pointless, trial and error hard.

Seriously, don't waste your time.[/QUOTE]

A lot more blunt than I chose to be but I agree 100%. Not only is it pointless but just the fact that you can be killed so easily then have to reclear all the respawned mobs just to figure out which exploit to use on that mob is silly... I'd rather spend my time playing something fun. To me this game is far too hyped up and if people realized they were using exploits to kill almost all of the mobs in the game they might not take such great pride in beating it.

By my last sentence you might be able to tell I have a big issue with the people who beat this game then pound their chest like they just won a ironman competition but CAG'ers are obviously cool people so you don't get that here thankfully. I have 100 or so PS3 games and I'd rank this in my bottom 5 easily.

[quote name='bluedeviltron']It's not a good hard. It's a terrible, pointless, trial and error hard.

Ah, cool, thanks! Trial and error hard is my least favorite kind. I hate trial and error, at least past a very very small amount.

Dang, I've got so many games to play anyway, and I feel like I've got my "taking a chance on a weird game" quota met with Deadly Premonition and Yakuza 3 :lol:

Well then this doesn't sound like the kind of game for you, Wolfpup. It's definitely polarizing.

[quote name='Camwi']Well then this doesn't sound like the kind of game for you, Wolfpup. It's definitely polarizing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Dang, I'm still curious about it, and might give it a shot if it's ever available for

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah. Dang, I'm still curious about it, and might give it a shot if it's ever available for

[quote name='xlaxparkax']Anyone who owns a PS3 and does not own a copy of this game should get shot.[/QUOTE]
That's a bit extreme, don't you think? I enjoyed this game a lot, but it isn't going to be everyone's cup'o'tea. The high degree of difficulty can at times be very frustrating, especially to a novice gamer. Nobody deserves to be shot over a stupid video game. If this is your idea of a joke, you really need to work on your humor.

Basically it comes down to the game doesn't play itself, you can't button mash your way through it. You will have to wait for the opportune moment to strike, dodge / block / parry enemy attacks while being mindful of your stamina and health. The combat system is similar to Zelda; Orcarina of Time in that you lock onto a single enemy which you then circle around and duel.

It has a very steep learning curve in the beginning which can be lessened by starting with the Royal class (it is kinda like normal or easy mode since you can one-shot most enemies with soul arrow in the 1st level), but once you are past the first level and can level up, things become more manageable.

This is my favorite video review of Demon's Souls, if you are on the fence about the game give it a look. Some of the tracks aren't that interesting, but on the whole I quite enjoy the game soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnyVo3XWqV0

I'm playing Tom Clancy 3DS on "Elite" and it's brutal. If you create a save at the wrong time and don't even know it, you'll have to start all over. However, it's really addicting, intense, and fun. Clancy is the first hard game I've attempted and liked so I could see how other people might like a hard game. But since Tom Clancy 3DS is not an action/adventure, it's apples and oranges.

Any way, my backlog is so huge (read: I collect 12 games for each one I play) that I don't even remember if I already own this game or not. I might have picked it up on Black Friday if it was $15 at that time.

It's not as hard as everyone claims. It's just very unforgiving, especially at the start. You have to know when you can safely press on and when you really ought to back out and heal up. Once you figure out how to deal with each particular enemy and situation it becomes immensely satisfying. Purely excellent design, and a unique multiplayer experience on top of it.

Demons Souls is a must play(buy), there is no excuse to own a ps3 and not have finished the first level. The soundtrack, meh, i wouldnt spend extra on it but its already so cheap i would go for it.

Like some others have mentioned, the game difficulty(in scope and type) is rare nowadays. You can bash your head into a the demons all you want but you cant trial and error your way through DS.

The emphasis i would say about the game is the LEARNING curve. Ive enjoyed games like Dynasty warriors and when i first got into DS i had to change my own play style to survive and there is something incredibly rewarding about that growth that i have rarely experienced in a game. It feels like, as much as i like MH, what monster hunter should feel like.

The game and awesome experience, coming from someone who is not typically 'good at games' but still finished it multiple times.

Wow, I didn't know that many people hated this game.
Imo the game is just not your average adventure game out in the market. For those that haven't played it, this game won't make you feel like a super hero 1shotting enemies left and right, this game excels at making you feel helpless in a universe where you can't faceroll all your way up to the final boss.

bread's done
Back