Should I buy a DS?

skinkrawl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
I have never owned a DS, but lately I've looked at a lot of the titles available and it seems they are a bit more rounded (not everything is a FPS). I've also seen a lot of people selling their old DS systems on craigslist; I'm assuming they want to get the new 3DS.

So my questions are: is the DS worth owning? What are some of the great titles? How much would you pay for one and which version would you choose?

Also, if I pick up a used one, what are things I should watch out for to make sure it's actually in good condition and will last?

Thanks in advance CAGs!

Get a dsi atleast. I for one want one. I wanted to play the Prof. Layton series, The world ends with you, 999, Ghost Trick, FFIII-IV, Zelda series, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney series and most of all Castlevania series.

The only thing stopping me is my gaming backlog. Check amazon warehouse for deals.

I think it is as simple as this: Do you like RPGs or Nintendo games? If you answered yes to either of those, the answer is a resounding, and obvious YES You could get a lite if you want the GBA feature, or grab one of the DSi styles if you don't want that. Simple as that! lol

long story short, I have over 50 DS games.
I love them all.
TWEWY and DQIX being my favs
Also, the Ace Attorney series is good for those who like a challenge :D

YES, I have a 3DS and I still play my DS all time

The library is immense & it's got so many great games, I have 33 games and still want about 10 more.

And let's not forget about DSiWare! There are actually a lot of good games on there for super cheap. I have a DSi and 3DS and love 'em both. I'll sometimes sit here and mess around with my 3DS for an hour without even having a game in it. The PSP is great and has an impressive RPG catalog, but as far as I'm concerned DS (especially 3DS) is king of the handhelds. I've got about 40 excellent games (only one or two duds) and I don't even have a third of what I want.

[quote name='anbu-black-ops']Get a dsi atleast. I for one want one. I wanted to play the Prof. Layton series, The world ends with you, 999, Ghost Trick, FFIII-IV, Zelda series, Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney series and most of all Castlevania series.

The only thing stopping me is my gaming backlog. Check amazon warehouse for deals.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree. If you're going to give up your GBA slot, you might as well get the 3DS, otherwise stick with the DS Lite. The DSi is really not that great IMO.

3DS makes DS games look a bit worse so I prefer playing them on my DSi XL. It's not a waste, plus you get a bigger screen area with the DSi XL. If you require something to play GBA games on, get a DS lite.. if not, DSi XL is the better option if you've got money to spend IMO.

[quote name='Tooki']I completely disagree. If you're going to give up your GBA slot, you might as well get the 3DS, otherwise stick with the DS Lite. The DSi is really not that great IMO.[/QUOTE]

While the addition of cameras adds nothing new or exciting, giving up the GBA slot is totally worth trading up to have the option of purchasing DSiWare. As mentioned, there's a surprisingly large catalog of quality titles that are available for a great price. There's actually quite a bit of solid titles that can be had for the $2-$5 range. That, with the ability to store music on SD cards and have the browser on tap make it the worthy choice if not going for the brand new 3DS.

To answer the OP's question, yes. There are enough quality titles to warrant a purchase at this point. It's not the greatest selling handheld(of all time, I think?) for no reason.

Appreciate all the opinions. What would you say is a reasonable price for the older versions? I'm not really at the point of springing for a brand new 3DS; wanted to go more of the bargain route via craigslist or trading for one on here. And what are your favorite games on DS? A few people threw out some titles, but give me your top five if you haven't already. Thanks everyone!!

[quote name='skinkrawl']Appreciate all the opinions. What would you say is a reasonable price for the older versions? I'm not really at the point of springing for a brand new 3DS; wanted to go more of the bargain route via craigslist or trading for one on here. And what are your favorite games on DS? A few people threw out some titles, but give me your top five if you haven't already. Thanks everyone!![/QUOTE]
Just five? :roll:

1. Professor Layton series
2. Elite Beat Agents
3. Hotel Dusk
4. Ghost Trick
5. The World Ends with You

I purposely avoided listing the usual like Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda.

I would definitely get one, I play my DS non stop, I would say there are at least 100 good games if not more, and it will take you a while to play through them all. My advice as always is to look through the lists of games that are out for the system and decide if you would like to play any. If you like Nintendo franchise games like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda or RPG's then the system is worth a purchase, unless you hate RPG's with a passion. There are still games coming out for the DS too.

If by some chance you do hate RPG's with a passion I would recommend getting at least the DS Lite with GBA slot so that you could also access the good action stuff like Astro Boy, Gunstar heroes and the F-zero series, if you don't already have a GBA.

1. The World Ends With You
2. Ace Attorney Series
3. Ghost Trick
4. Disgaea DS
5. Final Fantasy IV

Special Mentions:
The Trauma Center series
Pokemon
New Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='juanawoman']Just five? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Haha, I figured by the time everyone listed their five, there would be quite a list. Plus, since I'll be just starting with a DS, it'll take awhile to go through the games.

My top five would be:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
2. Kirby Canvas Curse
3. Dragon Quest IX
4. Pokemon White
5. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

Honorable mentions also go to The Legendary Starfy and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

[quote name='bob101910']Pokemon. Also there are some good Bleach games.[/QUOTE]

Wait...theres something about Bleach thats actually good :D

Never played the PSP, but from the titles I always got the idea it's sorta PS2/3 portable. A lot of the same type games, just scaled down for a portable. I liked the DS library because there seemed to be something different than what's going on with consoles.

[quote name='sunghost']3DS makes DS games look a bit worse so I prefer playing them on my DSi XL. It's not a waste, plus you get a bigger screen area with the DSi XL. If you require something to play GBA games on, get a DS lite.. if not, DSi XL is the better option if you've got money to spend IMO.[/QUOTE]
DS games look just fine on my 3DS. Are you viewing them in the proper resolution?

[quote name='skinkrawl']And what are your favorite games on DS? A few people threw out some titles, but give me your top five if you haven't already. Thanks everyone!![/QUOTE]
Narrowing it down to just 5 is super tough, so I'm going to try to not put much thought into this. If I think about it for more than a few minutes, my head will explode. In no particular order:
1. Monster Rancher DS
2. Monster Tale
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Plants Vs. Zombies (so much fun on the go)
5. Scribblenauts / Super Scribblenauts

Ghost Trick and 999 are both worth mentioning as well.

[quote name='ZombieToast']DS games look just fine on my 3DS. Are you viewing them in the proper resolution?

Narrowing it down to just 5 is super tough, so I'm going to try to not put much thought into this. If I think about it for more than a few minutes, my head will explode. In no particular order:
1. Monster Rancher DS
2. Monster Tale
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Plants Vs. Zombies (so much fun on the go)
5. Scribblenauts / Super Scribblenauts

Ghost Trick and 999 are both worth mentioning as well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've tried both DS modes. Sure, if you use the 1:1 pixel option it'll take off the blur filter so it will look better.. but the screen area will be smaller than an original DS. Overall you'll have a slightly better experience playing DS games on a DS rather than a 3DS. Obviously it'll affect everyone differently though. I noticed how bad it looked near instantly when I played in the stretched mode but some people don't notice or don't care.. and the 1:1 pixel mode is too small for me to play if the game requires you to use the stylus a lot. You either sacrifice screen area, or make the picture blur a bit, either way it will look worse than the original DS.. but again this won't matter for some people and they may not notice.

I recommend the OP check a few targets to see if they've got the Mario DSi XL bundle on clearance.. It's been spotted for around $125 which is a nice bargain price if he doesn't want to get a 3DS yet.

In no order.

1. Pokemon White/Silver
2. Zelda Phantom Hourglass
3. Mario 64
4. Bleach Dark Souls
5. Final Fantasy 3

Haven't played that many DS games.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Never played the PSP, but from the titles I always got the idea it's sorta PS2/3 portable. A lot of the same type games, just scaled down for a portable. I liked the DS library because there seemed to be something different than what's going on with consoles.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. That's how I felt. Whenever I would play my PSP, I would just keep thinking how I could play the same game on PS2/3.

[quote name='ZombieToast']DS games look just fine on my 3DS. Are you viewing them in the proper resolution?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware you could even change it... How do you do it?

[quote name='Mixer236']I wasn't aware you could even change it... How do you do it?[/QUOTE]

Hold down Start+Select when the game boots. They should've just added an option in the settings so that it could be automatic.

[quote name='sunghost']Hold down Start+Select when the game boots. They should've just added an option in the settings so that it could be automatic.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, thanks.

[quote name='juanawoman']Exactly. That's how I felt. Whenever I would play my PSP, I would just keep thinking how I could play the same game on PS2/3.[/QUOTE]

I got a PSP, but only like a few games. It's cool and all, but I agree with others that it feels like a PS2/PS3.

I dont have a DS, but considering getting one too.

Question: Out of all the Yugioh games on the DS, what was the last one made that was based on the TV show Yugi Moto and friends aka battle city/god cards/etc. and when Yugi beat the king of games?

What Dragon Ball is good on DS?

The only Yugioh game I have is Scared Cards GBA and Duelist of the rose for PS2. I admit, I like Yugioh, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z/GT, Ronin Warriors, old school Guyver from early 1990's,Care bears, etc Well u got the picture.

bread's done
Back