Portal 2 - Questions And Co-Op Team-Up Thread

Oaxan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I wanna ask something that a lot of people or probably wondering too;

Can I play the PS3 version of Portal 2 together in Co-Op mode with the Free Steam Version I got with the same PS3 copy I wanna Play Co-Op with?

For those who don't already know, when you buy the PS3 version of Portal 2, you can link your PSN account with a Steam account and that Steam account will get a free copy of Portal 2.
As a bonus, you can play the PS3 version of Portal 2 in Co-Op with PC/Mac players as well, which is one of the main reasons I'm going to Buy Portal 2. (Other then the fact that it's PORTAL FRIGGIN 2 :whee::whee::whee::whee: )

My PC gamer friend, Jessica and I really wanna play together, since we're both huge Portal fans, but between us both, we only have enough money for one copy of Portal 2, so when we heard about the free copy she sent me the money for the PS3 version so I can give her the free Steam copy. but this has been nagging me for awhile now and Google isn't helping.
Does anyone know the answer? Anyone else with the same problem? Will Steam allow this? Or will they taunt us with it's beauty only to steal it away in our moment of truth? :oldman:

EDIT: Question resolved, this is now a Co-Op team-up thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one knows for sure, but I'd say it's unlikely. As you said, you get the free copy of Portal 2 by linking your PSN account to your Steam account. The game will also keep your PSN account "signed in" to your Steam account to allow for use of many of Steams features, saving files on Steamworks being one of the more prominent ones. If you're on your PS3 signed into a steam account, it's unlikely that someone else would be able to be logged into that same steam account to play the "free" version at the same time.

I'm more excited about future Steam games than Portal 2. No way Valve is releasing Steam for PS3 just for one game. I wonder how Sony will feel when Steam games compete with PSN games.

I'm excited about Portal 2 because Gabe said this.. "Oh Portal 2's great. It's the best game we've ever done."

But to the topic, I think that you won't be able to log into both at once, as the accounts are linked. But that is just a guess.

[quote name='chimpian']why dont both of you snag it on amazon?
Its almost half price.....
$55 with a $20 gc is pretty good[/QUOTE]

Are people practicing fuzzy math now? It is $55 out the door. You get a $20 GC for a future puchase. The deal is not $35 out the door. Beyond that, Kmart would be a better deal if you were to get 2 copies since you could get $60 in GC.

Yeah, I'm thinking about pre-ordering Portal 2 from Amazon right now just for the giftcard, get a little something for my girl. ;)
(Kmart is a no go for me)
I guess I'll hafta wait until I hear some news on the release day to figure out my plan of attack regarding the Co-Op thing. :p

Bjstucker: what is this? /b/? NO, YOU GTFO.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Split screen?[/QUOTE]

"Sid, PSB: Another reader question: If a user gets Portal 2 for the PS3, can two people play that copy at the same time? One on the PS3 and one on the PC?
Joshua, Valve: Well, of course you can play two-player splitscreen on one PS3. But otherwise, it works the way Steam play does now — you can only be logged into one device at a time."

So, yes and no I guess? It sounds like you can give your Portal 2 PC code to a friend, and they can use it with no problems. It's not linked to your actual game, just your Steam account...if you use the code on your PS3 of course.

All I know is that I'm glad I switched my pre-order to the PS3 version! Originally I thought they were giving away a copy of the original Portal on Steam for free...then I read it was for Portal 2 and nearly passed out. I'm so excited right now!

I searched the forums, but couldn't find an "official" thread for Portal 2...what's up with that?

This will be it I guess. Bring all your Portal 2 goodness here.

Your free PC copy is linked to your Steam account (you can't just register a code without linking it to a PS3)... so, even if you let your friend have it, they would either have to use your Steam account or you would have to use theirs on your PS3. And either way, you both can't play at the same time.

This is Valve and Steam. They are pretty solid when it comes to stopping work arounds and weird things like that. Appreciate that you get a free PC copy with your PS3 version and leave it at that.

portal2w.jpg

I think I understand.
I should make a dummy PSN account, link it to my friend's Steam and give her the free copy.
Then, I need to link my PSN to my Steam and then we can play.
Seems easy enough, Can someone verify this, just to be sure?

[quote name='Oaxan']I think I understand.
I should make a dummy PSN account, link it to my friend's Steam and give her the free copy.
Then, I need to link my PSN to my Steam and then we can play.
Seems easy enough, Can someone verify this, just to be sure?[/QUOTE]

That sounds right.

As for the other question below yours, I don't know 100%, but it would be silly of them not to allow that. They WANT Steam on your PS3 and want to grow their brand (and bring possible new users over to PC). I would strongly think that shouldn't be a problem.

It kinda sucks a developer is going out of their way to make it possible to play the game on either platform at not extra cost and people will of course abuse it. Trying to scam a free pc version to give/sell to someone else is going to ruin this sorta thing for the future.

[quote name='iwannadie']It kinda sucks a developer is going out of their way to make it possible to play the game on either platform at not extra cost and people will of course abuse it. Trying to scam a free pc version to give/sell to someone else is going to ruin this sorta thing for the future.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But I think Valve wants to sell as many of these as possible and expand its audience. If the response is high, I wouldn't count out other Valve releases like a L4D pack. If they get screwed, then probably not. :lol:

[quote name='Saint Noir']Maybe. But I think Valve wants to sell as many of these as possible and expand its audience. If the response is high, I wouldn't count out other Valve releases like a L4D pack. If they get screwed, then probably not. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't imagine the goal is to expand the audience to people who are playing the game but didn't buy it ha.

[quote name='iwannadie']I wouldn't imagine the goal is to expand the audience to people who are playing the game but didn't buy it ha.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Regardless of why people are buying it, there are a ton of extra units being moved because of it. I think most people are pretty stoked and aren't trying to find ways around things. Also, if you are using both yourself and want to co op with your friend (a la thread creator), I don't see that as a bad thing.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Agreed. Regardless of why people are buying it, there are a ton of extra units being moved because of it. I think most people are pretty stoked and aren't trying to find ways around things. Also, if you are using both yourself and want to co op with your friend (a la thread creator), I don't see that as a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

Well, you have to think of it this way. If the OP wants to play co-op which is a big selling feature of the game with his friend, the friend should buy a copy. By using the free PC access the friend is not going to buy the game, that's one less game sold.

The idea behind the free PC access is to allow people to either play on the ps3 or the PC. Not to allow 2 people to enjoy a single purchased copy of the game rather than each buying a copy.

I just feel bad when a cool developer is trying something different and before the game is even out it's already being exploited and can cost sales.

[quote name='iwannadie']Well, you have to think of it this way. If the OP wants to play co-op which is a big selling feature of the game with his friend, the friend should buy a copy. By using the free PC access the friend is not going to buy the game, that's one less game sold.

The idea behind the free PC access is to allow people to either play on the ps3 or the PC. Not to allow 2 people to enjoy a single purchased copy of the game rather than each buying a copy.

I just feel bad when a cool developer is trying something different and before the game is even out it's already being exploited and can cost sales.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be much of a CAG if I weren't trying to get games cheap, now would I? Think of it like a buy one get one free sale. :p
Besides, in my OP it said we could only afford 1 copy.

[quote name='Oaxan']I wouldn't be much of a CAG if I weren't trying to get games cheap, now would I? Think of it like a buy one get one free sale. :p
[/QUOTE]

Cheap is one thing, getting it for free by exploit is another. If it were like a buy one get one free sale they would make it easy to "share" the PC copy with a friend, that is not what they intended clearly.

[quote name='Oaxan']
Besides, in my OP it said we could only afford 1 copy.[/QUOTE]

If you can only afford one copy would you walk into gamestop and shoplift a 2nd copy for your friend because that is a poor excuse. If you can't afford something, guess what you live without it. You are not entitled to things that are beyond your financial means. Look at the crappy car Wombat drives because that's what he can afford. Maybe he should go steal a car from your family because he is entitled to have a nice car too right even if he can't afford it ; p .

I guess it's asking to much to explain something like this however.

[quote name='Oaxan']Besides, in my OP it said we could only afford 1 copy.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I'm reminded of Fat Tony from the Simpsons...
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no.

My main problem with people trying to exploit this...the more people who do, the less likely Valve will be to do something like this in the future. Then, we all lose. Then again, Valve holds all the keys to Steam...if they really think this is an exploit, they'll find a way to lock it down...if the exploit really exists in the first place.

I'm doing this because I can. this is something Steam overlooked or just didn't care about. and I'd actually say this is BOOSTING sales quite a lot, people are going out and buying the PS3 version because it's like a b1g1 package. I'm sure there aren't as many people who bought it so they could have both just to themselves then those who bought it to give to a friend.
Valve makes hundreds of thousands of dollars everyday because people buy the things they put on sale, how is this different from the Potato Sack thing they got going right now?
If you really wanna whine about a feature that's in a game, I suggest you take it up with the creators, I have no moral obligations to buy a second copy just to support a mutli-million dollar company that's doing fine without me.

[quote name='Oaxan']I'm doing this because I can.[/QUOTE]

What's stopping you from going to gamestop and shoplifting a copy?

[quote name='Oaxan']
Valve makes hundreds of thousands of dollars everyday because people buy the things they put on sale, how is this different from the Potato Sack thing they got going right now?[/QUOTE]

Because it's not a sale. They are not saying "Hey, go buy the PS3 version then give this code to you friend to play online with". Also, BMW makes millions of dollars a day, can we all go steal BMWs?

[quote name='Oaxan']
If you really wanna whine about a feature that's in a game, I suggest you take it up with the creators, I have no moral obligations to buy a second copy just to support a mutli-million dollar company that's doing fine without me[/QUOTE]

I'm not whining about a feature. I am trying to explain that what you are doing is exploiting a feature for the purpose of getting something you didn't pay for. The feature in the game is to allow you to buy the game and play it on your ps3 or on your PC. By creating a dummy PSN account not linked to your personal account you are circumventing the intended use of the feature to exploit a game without paying.

If you are now set on having no moral obligations to pay for things because companies have a lot of money, then why not go shoplift a copy? Gamespot makes millions of dollars without you so surely they must owe you a copy of a single game right? Sony must not intend for Everyone to buy a ps3, you could use a 2nd one for your buddy, shoplift one of those as well.

To take it back to the Simpsons, "Shoplifting is a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark." .

Going a little bit off the rails with it, iwannadie. The bottom line is Valve is a smart company and Steam is damn near bullet proof. If they wanted to lock it down, they would. I can think of ways to lock it down all by my lonesome. But they aren't, so no reason to get THAT up in arms about it.

Exploit? Maybe a tiny one. But it is really just trumpeting Valve and Sony's new love fest (thanks to MS screwing up). The PS3 version will sell like CRAZY because of this and that will be good for everyone. Valve will make more PS3 software, but I would say don't expect more promotions like this.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Going a little bit off the rails with it, iwannadie. The bottom line is Valve is a smart company and Steam is damn near bullet proof. If they wanted to lock it down, they would. I can think of ways to lock it down all by my lonesome. But they aren't, so no reason to get THAT up in arms about it.

Exploit? Maybe a tiny one. But it is really just trumpeting Valve and Sony's new love fest (thanks to MS screwing up). The PS3 version will sell like CRAZY because of this and that will be good for everyone. Valve will make more PS3 software, but I would say don't expect more promotions like this.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, It's good to know someone understands what I'm going on.

iwannadie, really?
I suppose you also want me to not download music or watch MacGyver on Youtube either?

[quote name='Saint Noir']Going a little bit off the rails with it, iwannadie. The bottom line is Valve is a smart company and Steam is damn near bullet proof. If they wanted to lock it down, they would. I can think of ways to lock it down all by my lonesome. But they aren't, so no reason to get THAT up in arms about it.

Exploit? Maybe a tiny one. But it is really just trumpeting Valve and Sony's new love fest (thanks to MS screwing up). The PS3 version will sell like CRAZY because of this and that will be good for everyone. Valve will make more PS3 software, but I would say don't expect more promotions like this.[/QUOTE]

Well the whole setup is still new, it's never been done. I am sure they have issues they haven't resolved yet and this could obviously be one of them. It doesn't mean it's intended to be this way and easy to get around not linking legit accounts. They could lock it down but that could also screw up things for people trying to use it in a legit way, I don't know.

I just get frustrated when someone seems intent on thinking that they are entitled to something they can't afford just because they want it. Not just focused on this portal 2 issue but the attitude in general. You could claim the Jailbreak was a tiny exploit, look where that took us. It's all a weird line but it comes back to, are you playing the game and did you pay for it which is simple. The OP went from oh I'm just a CAG to I'm getting my free game and I don't care about them because they are rich pretty fast. I'm waiting for the classic, money is just stupid anyways argument.

[quote name='Oaxan']Thank you, It's good to know someone understands what I'm going on.

iwannadie, really?
I suppose you also want me to not download music or watch MacGyver on Youtube either?[/QUOTE]
Metallicops are gonna come for you.

First off is there a PSN update for this, or when is Steam coming out for PS3?

I mean it should be today but knowing Valve and fatass behind them, I am used to delays :lol:.

According to IGN's review, the co-op story takes place after the single player, meaning people should play the SP campaign first.

Can anyone who is already playing the game confirm this?

Lots of hate being directed at me. :p
Well I just tracked my order and it's in the next town over, so I'll be playing it by tonight. I also heard it's getting bombed by reviewers because of the DLC and shortness.

"Reviewers" being metacritic trolls, yes. Those people are idiots. "Reviewers" in the sense of people who actually review or are sensible people... then no.

DLC? It is all aesthetic stuff on Steam (PC) for the game... not REAL DLC. Since when is Valve having silly aesthetic items for sale new? This is how you know they are trolls and idiots. Nothing to do with gameplay or actual content, just silly stuff Valve throws up ALL THE TIME... and people are up in arms about it.

[quote name='Oaxan']Lots of hate being directed at me. :p
Well I just tracked my order and it's in the next town over, so I'll be playing it by tonight. I also heard it's getting bombed by reviewers because of the DLC and shortness.[/QUOTE]

10-12 hours singleplayer is pretty lengthy nowadays. Considering bulletstorm was like 4-5. Also I seen nothing but high praise for this game. Those trolls at metacritic do not count since they are whining about valve selling cosmetic skins.

[quote name='Oaxan']Lots of hate being directed at me. :p
Well I just tracked my order and it's in the next town over, so I'll be playing it by tonight. I also heard it's getting bombed by reviewers because of the DLC and shortness.[/QUOTE]

Please let us know here if you manage to play online on the PS3 and PC at the same time.

[quote name='Polaris1001']Please let us know here if you manage to play online on the PS3 and PC at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Jessica is downloading the free PC copy right now, we'll know if it works when it gets done, note that I did make a dummy account like I said previously.

But make sure you don't log in to Steam on PS3 with the same Steam account on PC when you go to play.

Also, back to page 1 business... we all know "Jessica" is really Todd. ;) JUST MESSING!

bread's done
Back