Stolen credit card by family member.

mrx001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
My sister stole my mothers credit card (APR 22%) and has since run up a tab of $2,000.We just found out about it today and shes been hiding the bills for months.Well,we don't know what to do.My sister has a job but I doubt she's gonna pay the debt.Stuck between a rock and hard place.Any help would be appreciated.

Wrong forum mod's please move.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she's a legal adult and she won't pay it back on her own I would involve the authorities. Seriously, people let family members get away with too much sometimes. She needs to pay to make it right.

Maybe she can open up her own CC and transfer the balance there so she has to worry about it.

If she's not old enough then you guys are stuck with the bill.

[quote name='TallGuyMe']great deal! what's the CC number?[/QUOTE]
Needs to be off topic,sorry.Happens to me a lot since have more than 4 tabs on CAG. So,enjoy the block list.

Contact your mom's credit card company or the proper authorities; not this site. The first two options require some critical thinking skills, so be prepared.

first obviously she has to agree to return the card and not use it then secondly she has to agree to pay for it whether that be assume the payments transfer to an account of her own. if she agrees to that then she has x amount of time (1-3 months) to start handling this and tell her were saving you jail time or worse. You made a BIG mistake but since your family and we love you we want to help you make things right but if your not willing to then we will have to get someone who will make them right. The authorities...

[quote name='floormat']first obviously she has to agree to return the card and not use it then secondly she has to agree to pay for it whether that be assume the payments transfer to an account of her own. if she agrees to that then she has x amount of time (1-3 months) to start handling this and tell her were saving you jail time or worse. You made a BIG mistake but since your family and we love you we want to help you make things right but if your not willing to then we will have to get someone who will make them right. The authorities...[/QUOTE]
Transferring debt sounds like a good option.She doesn't have a credit card but I think we can refinance the card to her.Thanks everyone.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']"You're ignored because I made a mistake!"[/QUOTE]

So you dont response to the second post but you have to ignore someone who makes a joke? If the thief is over 18 report the card stolen and tell the police.

Also, I'm in for $500.

Generally speaking, you need to file a police report or the creditor will consider the debt to be your mother's. You might be able to call and explain the situation and set up some kind of payment plan but I doubt they will transfer it out of your mother's name without contacting the authorities.

With my knowledge of the law if there is no police report then if you try to go to court they will throw it out because of no police report. File with authorities then Judge Judy here we come lol

Even if you get the physical card back from her, there's a good chance she has the card number and pin on back written down somewhere to use again. So besides getting a police report, it may also be worthwhile to let the card company know it was stolen, as they'll immediately cut off the card from being used again and issue a new one. Typically takes 5-7 days to get the new card, but at least that way there is ZERO CHANCE of that card being used again. The good thing about that is the account itself changes numbers, but from a credit reporting standpoint, it looks like the account has been open the whole time. So if you had the card for 5 years, the credit report doesn't show it closed and a new one open for 1 month...it's still the same one open for 5 years.

[quote name='mrx001']So,enjoy the block list.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. Dick. :roll:

I'm going to assume your sister is a minor living in your house because she had access to mail on a regular basis. If this is the case your mom is responsible for the debt. Your mom could get a police report but if your sister is a minor it is pointless. Any criminal charges your sister incurs your mom will have to pay fines etc. If she doesn't your mom would face jail time. My suggestion is take back anything your sister bought if it's open already sell it.

If your sister is not a minor and living with you, your mom needs to file a police report asap. Your mom will still be at fault for the debt though more than likely because there are several ways to check the balance of a card and she should have known the card was missing before a few months past. If your sister is an adult have her sign an agreement to pay your mom back. Pay the card payments in the mean time to avoid future credit problems.

If your mom gets a police report have her send in copies to the three credit reporting bureaus (Equifax, Experian, & TransUnion). They should put this in her credit file. So if anyone does a credit check on your mom in the future it will show that the reported debt is not hers.

Just curious, How did your mom not notice the card missing or new charges on the card?

If shes a minor, I hope your mom smacks the crap out of her. I don't know why so many people nowadays don't agree with spanking your child. Hell it's probably why so many kids these days do crap like this. If I would have done what your sister did when I was younger, oh Lord... It would be the most spectacular ass kicking recorded in human history.

She's been hiding the bills for months? Did she at least pay the minimum payments? If not, I hope your mom isn't planning to buy a car or house (or find a new job) anytime soon.

If I were in your situation, I'd call the credit card company first and see what they recommend.

I say snag her ass in a bear trap.

that'll fix her.

Or call up the credit card company and smack your sister and your mom in the head.

Why was no one in your family responsible enough to check the credit card balance or bill every month in the first place? This could have been caught almost instantly, regardless if she was "hiding the bill." A majority of credit cards have the ability to view the bill online...

It's not right what she did at all, but where is the responsible adult here that should have been monitoring the card to begin with?

I'm kind of blown away that no one noticed there was no credit card bill coming in each month. Did everyone just assume it was free money, and no longer required repayment?

[quote name='PR Mega X']I'm kind of blown away that no one noticed there was no credit card bill coming in each month. Did everyone just assume it was free money, and no longer required repayment?[/QUOTE]

I think if they thought it was blocked it meant the problem was solved.

[quote name='ZForce915']Kick her ass out of the house, report the credit card stolen and call the police. That bitch needs to learn.[/QUOTE]
This. QFT!

[quote name='PR Mega X']I'm kind of blown away that no one noticed there was no credit card bill coming in each month. Did everyone just assume it was free money, and no longer required repayment?[/QUOTE]

If you don't have any activity on a card with a zero balance they don't send you a bill/statement in the mail. I have a few cards that rarely get used, I've gotten about 3 statements from them in the past 2 years. When they do show up, it's a $2-$5 groupon charge :) It's a nice surprise when I'm expecting it to be a bill with a month's worth of everyday purchases.

bread's done
Back