Game Informer: Multiple Sources confirm new HD console at E3 for Nintendo

jbug617

CAGiversary!
www. gameinformer. com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Now with a price drop for the Wii it makes total sense at E3 to announce a new console.

HD? More powerful than the PS3 or 360?

1z3oxzc.jpg

You give me an HD system with the virtual console where I can download NES, SNES, Sega, N64, etc. with a decent online system and the ability to play current huge titles.. I'll be extremely, extremely happy. I hope that they are abandoning motion controls.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Can the Nintendo faithful support sales of both the 3DS and a new home console?[/QUOTE]

I know I can't, and I have plenty of disposable income. I just can't justify yet another new system right now.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Can the Nintendo faithful support sales of both the 3DS and a new home console?[/QUOTE]

I can because I don't have a desire to get a 3DS right now. As for Nintendo...

Depends on what software the 3DS has. If the 3DS has Mario Kart, Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing this fall then they could probably get away with pushing a new console over the 3DS. We'd be left to wonder what franchise they launched alongside with a Wii HD, because as it stands right now, it can't be Mario (Galaxy team is working on Super Mario), it can't be Zelda (Skyward Sword) and it probably isn't Pokemon since they hate working on console Pokemon games.

And given the information news sources are putting out there right now, with the Wii price drop, the supposed pre-announcement later this month with more details at E3, it kinda makes it sound like it's this year.

[quote name='KingBroly']We'd be left to wonder what franchise they launched alongside with a Wii HD, because as it stands right now, it can't be Mario (Galaxy team is working on Super Mario), it can't be Zelda (Skyward Sword) and it probably isn't Pokemon since they hate working on console Pokemon games.[/QUOTE]

Then you forget what they did with the last Zelda game. They could release a bulked up Wii game for the launch while the Wii get's the Skyward Sword we were expecting. Is it great? Not for the new system owners. Will they do it? Sure.

This also makes me think that this was the strategy since before the Wii. Strap two Gamecubes together and launch motion controls cheaply while spending all of your R&D budget on a new system in stealth mode.

If so, well played.

Game Informer first reported that the console is capable of running games at "HD resolutions." Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions

Seems unusual to directly target the "Hardcore Market". New hardware may put it in parity or even a touch pass the PS3/360 and still be reasonably priced due to component cost reductions, but splurging on hardware is not in Nintendo's DNA.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Then you forget what they did with the last Zelda game. They could release a bulked up Wii game for the launch while the Wii get's the Skyward Sword we were expecting. Is it great? Not for the new system owners. Will they do it? Sure.

This also makes me think that this was the strategy since before the Wii. Strap two Gamecubes together and launch motion controls cheaply while spending all of your R&D budget on a new system in stealth mode.

If so, well played.[/QUOTE]

You might be on to something.

Take a generation to build a new user base. Then pull the core gamers back (along with your new customers) to this new console.

Nintendo has a lot of catchup though. Securing popular 3rd party titles and a solid online structure would be a good start.

[quote name='foltzie']Seems unusual to directly target the "Hardcore Market". New hardware may put it in parity or even a touch pass the PS3/360 and still be reasonably priced due to component cost reductions, but splurging on hardware is not in Nintendo's DNA.[/QUOTE]

Well, being a few years down the line, you don't necessarily need to splurge to be better than a PS3/360, considering PC hardware is more sophisticated than any console right now.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Then you forget what they did with the last Zelda game. They could release a bulked up Wii game for the launch while the Wii get's the Skyward Sword we were expecting. Is it great? Not for the new system owners. Will they do it? Sure.

If so, well played.[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't. Big difference here is that Skyward Sword is being 100% designed with WM+ in mind so it probably can't move over to another console that easily. Especially since every Nintendo home console has had a different controller. So it is very likely that it wouldn't transfer over to a regular interface that well, if it's that way.

You could probably still play it on the new machine (and maybe upscaled/uprendered) but it'd have to be with the Wiimote.

[quote name='KingBroly']No, I haven't. Big difference here is that Skyward Sword is being 100% designed with WM+ in mind so it probably can't move over to another console that easily. Especially since every Nintendo home console has had a different controller. So it is very likely that they won't be compatible.[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you, same/similar controller as the wii remote with a CC pro bundled. They want to keep the casual crowd and pull the core back in. Not scare the casuals away.

[quote name='KingBroly']No, I haven't. Big difference here is that Skyward Sword is being 100% designed with WM+ in mind so it probably can't move over to another console that easily. Especially since every Nintendo home console has had a different controller. So it is very likely that it wouldn't transfer over to a regular interface that well, if it's that way.

You could probably still play it on the new machine (and maybe upscaled/uprendered) but it'd have to be with the Wiimote.[/QUOTE]

Except that they are talking about compatibility with the Wii, so it may not be THAT different.

Course, with Bluetooth controllers being all the rage, it isn't as big of a deal as it used to be to hook up old controllers.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm telling you, same/similar controller as the wii remote with a CC pro bundled. They want to keep the casual crowd and pull the core back in. Not scare the casuals away.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo always changes things up. The closest thing I could see them doing is something like NES > SNES where the controller got 6 extra buttons (X, Y, L, R).

cool.

I hope it's backwards compatible with Wii games, then I'll just trade in my wii & upgrade

[quote name='whoknows']I wonder if it'll be able to play DVD's this time.[/QUOTE]

Even better, it'll play HD DVDS! Exclusively! And only if they star Corey Feldman.

[quote name='whoknows']I wonder if it'll be able to play DVD's this time.[/QUOTE]

No. That will mean paying the DVD licensing fee.

[quote name='Scorch']IGN's article says it's fully BC

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html[/QUOTE]

Late 2012 launch according to that link. That should be enough time for DQ X to come out on the Wii. And this means Zelda:SS won't be coming out for the new console unless Nintendo want to port a year old game as a launch game. If they are willing to do that why stop at Zelda. Why not port over Galaxy games too.

[quote name='JSiggy']cool.

I hope it's backwards compatible with Wii games, then I'll just trade in my wii & upgrade[/QUOTE]

No Gamecube games in your collection?

Here's to hoping DQ X comes out on current Wii so that I don't have to get the new Nintendo home console.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Can the Nintendo faithful support sales of both the 3DS and a new home console?

edit: this says late 2012 release. I really think they should be aiming for late 2011, actually.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html[/QUOTE]

still be interesting to see how long the 3ds can last with all of the bad info on it (making people sick ect ect ect)

This could be interesting. I have completely given up on Nintendo this generation by selling/trading my DS and Wii along with their associated games. I don't have very high expectations, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by this announcement/rumor.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I honestly have no excitement for this as I doubt Nintendo of America will get its shit together in the near future.[/QUOTE]
This.

And here comes the crazy (from the GAF topic)...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

sounds like a lot of bullshit

edit: oh wow it looks like someone disabled the avatars at GAF for some reason. if it's some kind of preventative measure ahead of E3, I like

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I honestly have no excitement for this as I doubt Nintendo of America will get its shit together in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen long as Reggie stays. He really needs to cut back on those cheesburgers though. Every E3 he gets fatter.

[quote name='laaj']Not going to happen long as Reggie stays. He really needs to cut back on those cheesburgers though. Every E3 he gets fatter.[/QUOTE]

He can't help that cheeseburgers are fuckin delicious.

AAAAH! AAAAAAH! I'm so excited I can't even look at anything yet! Do we have specs? Will it have a real controller? Oh man, I can't wait!

Don't know why the IGN article is saying some things its saying. Game Informer says they don't know if it'll be more powerful-but it'll be comparable. Don't know if it'll be backwards compatible. I'm guessing it won't, because Nintendo's pretty terrible with that.

Still, I'm DAMN excited.

Can we please, PLEASE slap anyone who says anything about "Kiddie"? Dude. Mario is not "kiddie". It's a bad ass game that happens to be all ages. Grow up. I play M rated stuff all the time, I play great E rated games too.

Good lord, please eliminate the motion sensor crap, the gimmick has run it's course, and everyone is tired of it. Also, please banish shoveware from appearing on the system, put those companies making Horsez and Babiez and Minute to Win It the Video Game, out of business where they belong. Please also eliminated the antiquated region lock system, it's just not necessary anymore.

[quote name='spmahn']Good lord, please eliminate the motion sensor crap, the gimmick has run it's course, and everyone is tired of it.[/quote]

Oh man, I can only dream! :applause:

I'm not counting on it though, so I'll be THRILLED if it's in the box, but so is a nice normal pad too...I'd consider that a huge win.

Dang...please do this Nintendo, and people, PLEASE DON'T BE IDIOTS AND ACTUALLY SUPPORT NINTENDO WHEN THEY'RE DOING GOOD GAMES! (Thank you!) :whistle2:D

It would be hilarious though if Nintendo released this really powerful almost next-gen system, with a normal pad, and then Sony and Microsoft just moved Wii-ward :whistle2:D

Unfortunately there is very little hope of eliminating motion controls altogether, the best we can hope for is that they get scaled back slightly and become an alternative for certain games, rather than a forced requirement as they currently are with most Wii games, many of which ended up being severely hampered by their insistance upon them (Donkey Kong Country, New Super Mario Brothers, I'm looking at you).

Nintendo is going to justify their existence by pointing to Wii's enormous sales figures, which itself is a fallacy, since the vast majority of the people who bought it had fun with Bowling for a month, never bought another game, and then stopped playing shortly after. Most (all) of these people will have zero interest in buying an upgraded Wii, and the majority of them have moved onto other stuff like Angry Birds or Farmville anyway, so Nintendo is going to have to start from square one in finding an audience for their new console.

If Nintendo wants to compete in this next generation, they will have no choice but to apologize to their fanbase that they abandoned these last two generations, and the third parties they have alienated, and make games that people want to play, and appeal to different audiences, no more of this one size fits all crap where every game has to appeal to everyone ages 2 - 100.

[quote name='spmahn']Unfortunately there is very little hope of eliminating motion controls altogether, the best we can hope for is that they get scaled back slightly and become an alternative for certain games, rather than a forced requirement as they currently are with most Wii games, many of which ended up being severely hampered by their insistance upon them (Donkey Kong Country, New Super Mario Brothers, I'm looking at you).

Nintendo is going to justify their existence by pointing to Wii's enormous sales figures, which itself is a fallacy, since the vast majority of the people who bought it had fun with Bowling for a month, never bought another game, and then stopped playing shortly after. Most (all) of these people will have zero interest in buying an upgraded Wii, and the majority of them have moved onto other stuff like Angry Birds or Farmville anyway, so Nintendo is going to have to start from square one in finding an audience for their new console.

If Nintendo wants to compete in this next generation, they will have no choice but to apologize to their fanbase that they abandoned these last two generations, and the third parties they have alienated, and make games that people want to play, and appeal to different audiences, no more of this one size fits all crap where every game has to appeal to everyone ages 2 - 100.[/QUOTE]

Funny. That's a fallacy itself. Do you have any proof of that? Software sales are highest on Wii. Bet you assumed differently.

And how the hell did they abandon their fanbase with 3 Mario games, a new DKC game, Kirby, a new entry to a franchise that sold like shit (Sin and Punishment), plus more?

It's laughable that I even post here. You people are SO out of touch and bitter.

[quote name='caltab']Sounds like a high tech dreamcast controller, the memory unit had an LCD screen.[/QUOTE]

gamecube%20to%20GBA%20link%20cable.jpg

Nintendo also had this little thing. I only used it for two games though...Mega Man X: Command Mission, where it was only used as a radar tool for finding hidden items...and Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, where it gave each player their own screen when in a cave or so.

Having a screen on the controller only really has an effect on local multi-player gameplay....there it can show players info that they can choose to use with or against other local players. With single-player, there's no reason why they couldn't just show that information on the screen...it's not like my Cat is going to be able to use that info to backstab me. Since I do most of my multiplayer online, I'll find it hard to care about this feature...if it turns out to be real, of course.

^Agree with superphillip. The first party wii games are very solid. Mario galaxy 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Punch Out, Smash bros., warioware, Wario land, Dkc, Kirby, new Mario bros, Metroid, and upcoming Zelda. They pretty much hit all the classics. I don't really see how thats abandoning their base. As someone who still remembers getting the original nes many xmas's ago, I don't feel abandoned by those titles.

[quote name='caltab']Sounds like a high tech dreamcast controller, the memory unit had an LCD screen.[/QUOTE]

If they use VMU's for the Wii 2 I'm in.

Need to walk my Chao.

Here was the Wii's problem, and still is:

Third Parties were never on board. The idea that they abandoned the Wii is a joke because they were never on board to begin with. The only company that got on board with the Wii was Ubisoft, and that never really materialized into much besides Red Steel 2. But even that was poorly marketed. The only company that hopped on the bandwagon was Activision after Guitar Hero 3 was in the Top 10 for NPD's on Wii for 10 months or so.

Beyond that, you got maybe 1 or 2 hardcore games from each company besides Sega with Sonic, but Nintendo basically owns Sonic now. Capcom gave us RE4 as a test, but followed it up with 2 lightgun shooters. Third parties never supported the Wii, that's the issue, and that's probably why we'll probably see a WiiHD sooner than later.

Considering I hardly use my Wii I'll probably never get one for a long time. Knowing Nintendo who priced the 3DS at $250 I'm expecting $300+.

What Nintendo is going to have to do is get MUCH better third party support (which knowing past trends with the Gamecube and Wii1 they won't) and make a functional online system (which they won't most likely either) to get me to buy this anywhere close to It's release or even the first few years its out on the market.

I don't think anyone is going to deny FIRST PARTY support - Nintendo HAS delivered to their fans throughout the years with GREAT first party games. I just want to see them reach out and make a bigger effort towards third party. I'm hoping since It's on par with 360/PS3 graphics wise (or better) that we will see more multi platform games on the Wii 2, and not just 360/PS3.

[quote name='laaj']Not going to happen long as Reggie stays. He really needs to cut back on those cheesburgers though. Every E3 he gets fatter.[/QUOTE]

Cheeseburgers? More like copies of Mother 3.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Funny. That's a fallacy itself. Do you have any proof of that? Software sales are highest on Wii. Bet you assumed differently.

And how the hell did they abandon their fanbase with 3 Mario games, a new DKC game, Kirby, a new entry to a franchise that sold like shit (Sin and Punishment), plus more?

It's laughable that I even post here. You people are SO out of touch and bitter.[/QUOTE]
They didn't really abandon their fanbase in Japan and sort of in Europe as well, as they have released some original, interesting games there that appeal to the hardcore mindset (Xenoblade, Last Story, Reginleiv, Disaster, Captain Rainbow, probably Pandora's Tower, Last Window, Mother 3, Soma Bringer, I'm sure I'm missing some but you get the point). You can't do everything with franchises. Unfortunately NOA REFUSES to release hardly any of these here, which is what is pissing people off. Sin & Punishment was an exception, and they did a shit job marketing it. These games may not appeal to you, but they appeal to a lot of hardcore gamers, including CAGs. NOA is the one who has abandoned the hardcore, not NCL, not NOE (for the most part).

bread's done
Back