Sapphire resurrects an improved Radeon 5850 on the cheap (Now only $139.99 @ Newegg)

roymustang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sapphire apparently had an overstock of old Radeon 5850 chips (which actually performed better than the newer 6850 chips) and decided to resurrect the card with vast improvements and sell it at a ridiculous price (under $150). The new Sapphire 5850 Xtreme card has a much shorter PCB size, better cooling and a brand new VRM design. This card will most likely only be available for a very limited time.

I'm sure AMD aren't too happy that this new 5850 completely destroys their recently launched Radeon 6790 card which costs the more. In DirectX 10 games this card performs similarly to the new nVidia GTX 560 Ti even besting it at times, yet costs almost half the price. If you buy 2 of them and crossfire them they will wipe the floor with the GTX 580 even and will still cost you over 200 bucks less than the GTX 580. As a first gen DirectX 11 card it lags a little in DirectX 11 games that use heavy tessellation and such but when you run in Crossfire it's still perfoms a lot better than a $300 graphics card.

Newegg has had them in stock twice and they've sold out in hours both times. I managed to snag two this morning thanks to Newegg's Auto-Notify feature. Newegg is selling them for $144.99 (now $139.99) with free shipping! Here's some links:

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme @ NewEgg

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme Product Page

Sapphire 5850 Xtreme TechGage Review

At this price this is an insane deal for anybody in the market for a good graphics card but doesn't wanna spend $250-300 . For people that do wanna spend that much you can always buy 2 of them and crossfire them for great performance at $279.98. I should mention though that to cut costs Sapphire decided not to include a crossfire bridge with the card so you'll need to buy one if you wish to run 2 cards in crossfire. These are going fast and being sold on the down low as to not upset AMD so get one while you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DeathBringer']6850 is way better and yours is sold out.[/QUOTE]

lol how is the 6850 "way better" when it costs significantly more and performs not as well? If you look at the TechGage review I posted the 5850 beats the 6850 in every game. I guess trolls will be trolls. And like I said it sells out fast but Newegg will get more almost on a daily basis but you need to be quick as they sell out almost immediately or you can try another store like TigerDirect which also sells them I think.

After spending the weekend looking over video cards (among other PC components) for my upgrade from my 1st-gen Core2 & 4850, it seems that the 6000 series under-performs the equivalent 5000-series card in non-DX11 games. However, it is more power-efficient, better at DX11 stuff, better video decoding for x264 stuff, adds 3D video support, and better for GPGPU applications. If you don't care about DX11 and your system decodes hi-def video just fine, then all reviews I've seen say to stick with a 5000 or even 4000 series card. (Note: 4000-series only does up to DX10.1.)

Was looking at 5770's at ~$100 A/R, but NewEgg had an XFX 5830 w/ free Shogun 2: Total War for $120 A/R. My parts are coming in tomorrow, but I could be tempted to return that and spend the little bit extra to get this 5850 (and just use my 4850 in the meanwhile). Hopefully when it comes back in stock, it will have the same free Shogun 2 offer as the other 5000-series cards.

I just thought that maybe some CAGs were PC gamers and would be interested in a card that performs as well as cards that cost almost twice its price. I guess I should just give up on posting deals, I mean it isn't even worth it these days with all the trolls and such. And I'm not talking about my threads only, I see lots of threads that have valid deals that get trolled because the troll isn't interested in the item or it doesn't meet his/her archetype of a deal.

It's a good item (and I agree the thread has some uninformed people in it already) but it's an apparently limited item that's already out of stock at the time of posting :(

[quote name='Psybuster']It's a good item (and I agree the thread has some uninformed people in it already) but it's an apparently limited item that's already out of stock at the time of posting :([/QUOTE]

OP how are you not getting this? Yeah it looks like a good deal, doesn't mean anything if it's not in stock though.

[quote name='rayne117']OP how are you not getting this? Yeah it looks like a good deal, doesn't mean anything if it's not in stock though.[/QUOTE]

I found this post very useful and interesting . . . and if you read the OP, he's saying you can use auto-notify with NewEgg to be notified if/when the go back in stock. It sounds like this card may be coming into and outof stock, so its worth monitoring.

Like I said NewEgg will be getting it back in stock by the end of the week I'm sure. You can click the Auto-Notify, that's how I got mine.

Here's a link for Amazon

though it says ships in 1 to 3 weeks from Amazon, but they have links to TigerDirect and CircuitCity too.

[quote name='rayne117']OP how are you not getting this? Yeah it looks like a good deal, doesn't mean anything if it's not in stock though.[/QUOTE]
It's OOS because it's popular or not yet available in appreciable quality. Though based on older tech, it's a newly released product for $20-$40 cheaper w/ no rebate than other 5850 cards post-rebate. Thanks to NewEgg's notification system, we at least know that there's a potential deal to be had once the item does come back in stock.

[quote name='dafunkk12']It's OOS because it's popular or not yet available in appreciable quality. Though based on older tech, it's a newly released product for $20-$40 cheaper w/ no rebate than other 5850 cards post-rebate. Thanks to NewEgg's notification system, we at least know that there's a potential deal to be had once the item does come back in stock.[/QUOTE]

And TigerDirect has them in stock now for $153 shipped, which isn't much higher than the $145 price at NewEgg.

[quote name='chimpmeister']And TigerDirect has them in stock now for $153 shipped, which isn't much higher than the $145 price at NewEgg.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately since we still have CompUSA's here in Florida, I'd have to pay another $10.69 for tax. Fair route for other folks, though.

Guys don't be a holes. The OP is trying to help and IT IS a good deal. If I had any money I'd jump in :).

Thanks for the tip, OP. I've been looking for a cheap but usable graphics card, and this looks like it could fit the bill.

Also, haters gonna hate. Part of having this community grow as it has means that, while the percentage of dicks is still good, the total number of dicks will always increase, and they always seem to pop up in the first few replies. Don't let it discourage you. This thread is appreciated.

IIRC, the biggest improvement that the 6850 has over this is power efficiency. This is still a beast of a card.

Unless you can find a 6850 at a significantly lower price than this (think like the $130 eBay ones from a while ago), there's very little point to getting a 6850 over a 5850 unless the power efficiency gets you (or you have tessellation needs served better by the 6850.)

tl;dr: GOOD DEAL.

amazon has it for $149 + $12.85 tax with free shipping from prime
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004W75ATI/
I just ordered it for a total of $109 cuz i had $45 in gift certificates.
wohoo! btw if anyone didnt know, this card is significantly shorter (lengthwise) than the previous models.
That was a major factor for me, since my computer case is big enough to just barely fit my 5770 into it. now I can finally upgrade!

Thanks OP, this *is* a good post, although I'm not ready to upgrade my 4850 just yet; I have very few DX11 games. I would actually like to see MORE hardware posts here, not fewer.

One thing not discussed in this thread is Sapphire itself. I've bought Sapphire ATI cards for 3 generations now and I really like them. I started because I used to play with an old AGP Pentium 4 system ... particle effects were poor with that processor, but I could get good frame rates with new video cards. Sapphire kept AGP alive WAY longer than anyone else... I bought a Sapphire Radeon 2600XT AGP, then a Sapphire Radeon 3850 AGP. Sapphire made an AGP 4650 too but my 3850 was fine back then. I feel nothing but love for Sapphire for the way they kept cranking out these cards at good prices (~$100) for gamers on aging AGP gaming computers.

When I finally built a new rig, I never even looked at anything else - I got a Sapphire 4850 VaporX card. It's quiet and fantastic. I remain a big fan of Sapphire.

I have a 4890, would this be a decent upgrade or not really existent? Looking to build a new rig in june but might go with nvidia

[quote name='solisnk']I have a 4890, would this be a decent upgrade or not really existent? Looking to build a new rig in june but might go with nvidia[/QUOTE]

It would be an improvement for sure but not a drastic one. The 5850 would let you enable the DX11 eye candy in DX11 games though. Now If you were to get two of them you'd see a big improvement.

I'm building a new Sandy Bridge rig myself and was planning on going nVidia as well by getting this overclocked MSI GTX 560 Ti but then I found out about the 5850 Xtreme and saw that for just a little more I could get two 5850s and that would blow the MSI 560 out of the water.

I for one am grateful for the post. I got an xfx 5850 at launch (the original version), and have considered crossfiring them before. I may do it now at this price (via amazon if newegg doesnt have them in stock later).

Yep they're back in stock, like I said they will get them in frequently for now because it just came out but they seem to be selling out just as fast as they come in, so you gotta be quick.

*Newegg has 10 of them in stock at time of edit*

[quote name='Drclaw411']why must people create threads about their own product. if you invented/made/sell it, i want it less :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm the new CEO of Sapphire didn't you know? Pffff, pathetic

[quote name='roymustang']It would be an improvement for sure but not a drastic one. The 5850 would let you enable the DX11 eye candy in DX11 games though. Now If you were to get two of them you'd see a big improvement.

I'm building a new Sandy Bridge rig myself and was planning on going nVidia as well by getting this overclocked MSI GTX 560 Ti but then I found out about the 5850 Xtreme and saw that for just a little more I could get two 5850s and that would blow the MSI 560 out of the water.[/QUOTE]

thanks, I'm in the market for buying a used car and could only afford to buy one of these right now...and maybe one next month if they're still available...

What's your view on a 2GB 5970? my buddy wants me to buy his for $300 but thought that was a little steep when I could probably get 2 cards.

iv always loved sapphire until recently when i bought a graphics card from them and had a 15$ mail in rebate sent all the necessary stuff even got a email conformation stating everything was all good then 8-10 weeks later no rebate so i contact them and they basically keep ignoring me so here it is 30-40 some odd weeks later and still no rebate luckly newegg is awsome and gave me 15$ in store credit

so basically be careful with rebates from sapphire

Quick question, would this be a considerable upgrade from a Radeon 5570 1 gig? It's been so long since I've been in the PC world, I'm dumbfounded...

Thanks for any input!

[quote name='Meatyflakes']Quick question, would this be a considerable upgrade from a Radeon 5570 1 gig? It's been so long since I've been in the PC world, I'm dumbfounded...

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE]

Um yeah it would be a massive upgrade, like really massive. In the Radeon series the second number is the most important. 8 and 9 are enthusiast, 6 and 7 mainstream and 5 and below are entry level.

[quote name='solisnk']thanks, I'm in the market for buying a used car and could only afford to buy one of these right now...and maybe one next month if they're still available...

What's your view on a 2GB 5970? my buddy wants me to buy his for $300 but thought that was a little steep when I could probably get 2 cards.[/QUOTE]

The 5970 is a mammoth of a card (over 12 inches) so you gotta make sure it would even fit in your case. also its a power hog and has a rather poor cooler. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 300 for a used one. Plus as a general rule I don't like to buy from friends because if there's a problem with the item it can create tensions and such.

yeah I have the space, have a fullsize tower. He has the xfx black edition supposedly, 2 of them, wanted to sell me 1 for $300... seemed steep to me but they're like $400 on ebay.

[quote name='Meatyflakes']Quick question, would this be a considerable upgrade from a Radeon 5570 1 gig? It's been so long since I've been in the PC world, I'm dumbfounded...

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE]

For you and others asking about card comparisons and if an upgrade is worthwhile, I strongly suggest the Graphics Card Heirarchy Chart at tomshardware.com.

It's updated monthly. This chart groups card technology into tiers, so you can compare, for example, a 4850 to a 5770. Or an nVidia 560Ti to an AMD 6850.

Very, very helpful in deciding when to upgrade and what to buy. The authors' rule of thumb is that you shouldn't bother with an upgrade if you don't jump 3 tiers or more in performance. Obviously this rule is not for everyone, but it's helpful in setting expectations on your purchase.

In your case, a 5570 to a 5850 would be a 6-tier jump - an obvious and amazing performance improvement.

Boo for me. Since returning my just-arrived-today 5830 to NewEgg would cost me a 15% restocking fee, and this particular 5850 doesn't have the free Shogun 2 offer, it looks like I'll have to pass on this deal.

Unfortunately in the tech world, there's always a better deal around the corner, but you'll always be waiting if you never say "good enough." Too bad for me I pulled the trigger on ordering parts Thursday night last week before hearing about this re-release last night.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Boo for me. Since returning my just-arrived-today 5830 to NewEgg would cost me a 15% restocking fee, and this particular 5850 doesn't have the free Shogun 2 offer, it looks like I'll have to pass on this deal.

Unfortunately in the tech world, there's always a better deal around the corner, but you'll always be waiting if you never say "good enough." Too bad for me I pulled the trigger on ordering parts Thursday night last week before hearing about this re-release last night.[/QUOTE]

If it's still sealed there's no restocking fee, i've returned stuff to newegg that I didn't open and was never charged 15%. Just talk to one of their live chat people, they'll waive the fee for you. You still gotta pay return shipping though.

artego, if you have any inclination to run Linux/CUDA/OpenCL definitely get the 460.
For single card gaming on Windows systems only, a single 5850 is better.

I run Dual GTX 460s on 1920x1080. I'm playing Portal 2 at max settings and my PC is half asleep. Handling it like a boss.

[quote name='artego']Would this or a GTX 460 for $120 be the better deal?[/QUOTE]

Use the hierarchy chart I posted just above. An nVidia GTX 460 performs one tier below the AMD 5850. Both are DX11 cards.

I'd say that makes them a comparable deal - the 460 GTX for $120 and the AMD 5850 at $145.

Let your wallet, and your nVidia/AMD preference, do the choosing.

artego, if you aren't playing games on your pc or doing GPGPU work, there isn't a real need to getting a 460 or 5850 really. A cheap 30 dollar 4650 or 50 dollar 5670 (for multiple monitor support) is all you would really need for video playback and casual gaming. IF you do lots of photo editing/video/3d work you should look into GPU accelerated programs and getting a card like the 5850 or 460. Right now Adobe CS supports CUDA and Maya runs on OpenCL. Everything in the future will probably have OpenCL support. The Linux thing is only because ATI drivers aren't the greatest for Linux, but if you aren't doing GPGPU under Linux then ATI is fine.

I just ordered one from newegg, thanks for the headsup!

I ordered a bunch of stuff Sunday from newegg, i5 2500k, ASUS P8P67 board, 8gb ram, 60gb SSD, for my first computer build. I had ordered a EVGA 460 gtx SE along with those parts but I was unsure of how good of a decision that was, it was $150 with a $30 MIR, but I think this Radeon 5850 is a better card and now I don't have to worry about the rebate not coming.

good call on not getting the 460 SE, its not worth 150 when you can get a regular 460 for the same price or less after rebates.

don't forget a good air cooler and good psu to get the most out of that 2500k

I have the "older" i5 750 and can get an easy 1GHz overclock with a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Get something more solid and the skies the limit. :D

bread's done
Back