iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have the links fixed above shortly.

I'm integrating Mac and iOS App Store Sales because they are so similar. For example many developers are creating their app for both iOS and Mac OS, so upcoming sales will be for both. When the release of Mac OS X Lion comes later this year, it will blur the line between these two platforms even further.

Dont want to edit the format of your op, but I think you should put a section for each device to list sales, but hopefully people won't bogg it down with shovel ware freebies. Also a section to list iTunes gift card sales.

[quote name='caltab']Dont want to edit the format of your op, but I think you should put a section for each device to list sales, but hopefully people won't bogg it down with shovel ware freebies[/QUOTE]

A separate list of sales sites for iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, and Mac? Individual sales are often only for a day or so so keeping up would be crazy, but thats part of the Wiki feature. I could make a section where anything below that line people can post sales they know are occurring. I think many would post in the thread anyway though.

To cut down on my manual looking up names, can someone toss me out a list of iOS developers? So far I have 99games, Firemint, Gameloft, Igloogames, Smule, NGMoco.

[quote name='ryanflucas']A separate list of sales sites for iPad, iPod Touch, iPhone, and Mac? Individual sales are often only for a day or so so keeping up would be crazy, but thats part of the Wiki feature. I could make a section where anything below that line people can post sales they know are occurring. I think many would post in the thread anyway though.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I meant individual sales of games. But, I suppose that could get really out of hand with the sheer number of games on sale. I was thinking that people would only use it highlight legit games on sale, like across age dx for .99. Also, there'd probably end up being slot of outdated sales on there. But, enough people use this thread it might be worth a try.

iTunes card sales are more manageable though.

Thank you sir! Seems like we're hitting these post milestones faster and faster with each thread.

Any chance we can finally get this stickied?

[quote name='caltab']Ya, I meant individual sales of games. But, I suppose that could get really out of hand with the sheer number of games on sale. I was thinking that people would only use it highlight legit games on sale, like across age dx for .99. Also, there'd probably end up being slot of outdated sales on there. But, enough people use this thread it might worth a try.

iTunes card sales are more manageable though.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is who's to say what's "legit" or not? To many regular thread contributors, across age is meh, but I'm sure some people have been waiting for it to hit the sweet spot. And anyway, none of us are going to go through all of effort of checking appshopper/toucharcade/etc, copying the links from the app store and posting them here for an app that doesn't seem decent.

Those of you with Mac's with access to the Mac App Store, there's a few ongoing deals. Note that these are not game related.

1.) Individual Applications from iLife & iWork are being sold in the Mac App Store. These are a deal if you only need one app and not the entire bundle.

iPhoto '11 - $14.99
iMovie '11 - $14.99
Garageband '11 - $14.99
Pages '09 - $19.99 (Apple's version of Microsoft Word)
Numbers '09 - $19.99 (Apple's version of Microsoft Excel)
Keynote '09 - $19.99 (Apple's version of Microsoft Powerpoint)

2.) Apple's professional photo tool, Aperture is available in the App Store for a lower price then then normal retail. The boxed retail edition costs $199, or $99 for the upgrade. The full edition of Aperture is currently $79.99.

I'm unaware if there is any sort of end date on these deals.

Stylish Sprint has dropped to FREE! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/stylish-sprint/id390141259?mt=8) -- and it looks like a decent endless runner games.

"Stylish Sprint is an action running game where you play as a stickman who travels the world in search of adventure…and collects any spare coins laying around.

You can run, roll, fly, smash obstacles, and use powerups through 8 unique and varied environments.

Feast your eyes on the characters stylish acrobatics as he flips and spins through each endless stage.

Effortlessly navigate the terrain with simple and intuitive controls.
Getting sick of the main game? Try out one of the included challenge modes with their own unique playing style.

Customize your stickman’s appearance with tons of cool costume items that not only add style to his dash but increase his performance in various ways.

Gain SP (style points), which act as in game currency, by completing quests, getting points during gameplay, or buying SP packs as an in-app purchase. Use SP to buy the various items included in the games shop."

[quote name='ryanflucas']To cut down on my manual looking up names, can someone toss me out a list of iOS developers? So far I have 99games, Firemint, Gameloft, Igloogames, Smule, NGMoco.[/QUOTE]
Off the top of my head, Com2Us, Gamevil, Kairosoft, Chillingo, Glu Mobile, Dude who made tiny wings (andreas illiger or something like that), EA, Capcom, Square Enix, Miniclip, that's all I can think of right now.

The sequel to Apache Strike, Codename Cobra: Desert Storm, is currently available for FREE.
"The story happened in the end of 2012 , Terrorist group "Titan" were not willing to fail and plan to use new weapons to suicide attacks against Europe.
In order to maintain the world peace, our hero pilot Michael driving the secret weapon cobra helicopter to defeat the terrorists frenzied counterattack.
In game, player were sent around stages in Europe and Middle East to against the terrorist attack. Every level was filled with a wide variety of different fighter craft and ground forces that all preceded the end-level boss (generally a large aircraft).
Copter cobra has advanced weapon system ,such as rocket, missile, bomb etc. Each weapon that could be upgraded four times in order for the shot pattern to widen. Players also had an unlimited amount of ground force bombs that would increase in firing speed with the vulcan."

Very roomy in here. Would it be appropriate to edit the first post with a section for "must have games." It seems every so often someone gets a new ipad, iphone, ipod and asks "what are some must haves?" It would be great to refer them to the first post. Any thoughts? Maybe it's even broken down by sections - puzzle, shooter, etc.

Shows 2.99 for me.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The sequel to Apache Strike, Codename Cobra: Desert Storm, is currently available for FREE.
"The story happened in the end of 2012 , Terrorist group "Titan" were not willing to fail and plan to use new weapons to suicide attacks against Europe.
In order to maintain the world peace, our hero pilot Michael driving the secret weapon cobra helicopter to defeat the terrorists frenzied counterattack.
In game, player were sent around stages in Europe and Middle East to against the terrorist attack. Every level was filled with a wide variety of different fighter craft and ground forces that all preceded the end-level boss (generally a large aircraft).
Copter cobra has advanced weapon system ,such as rocket, missile, bomb etc. Each weapon that could be upgraded four times in order for the shot pattern to widen. Players also had an unlimited amount of ground force bombs that would increase in firing speed with the vulcan."[/QUOTE]

Crackle is pretty great. I just assumed you'd have to pay to watch stuff but I'm watching Seinfeld for free right now. And the picture quality is really good.

[quote name='Maklershed']Crackle is pretty great. I just assumed you'd have to pay to watch stuff but I'm watching Seinfeld for free right now. And the picture quality is really good.[/QUOTE]

Have you found a way to stretch the aspect ratio to full screen? The native resolution is fine for ipad, I'm sure, but it makes the picture way too small on the iphone. I agree though, Hulu Plus will be history if Crackle beefs up its selection.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I've never heard of Crackle until now. How are the commercials?[/QUOTE]

It's been around for a while. It's like Hulu, only supported by Sony I think. The commercial's aren't as bad as Hulu's but I think you're forced to watch a new one every time you want to fast forward to another segment in a video.

I think this was mentioned in the previous thread, but there is an app from it looks like Korea which also does free movies/shows called PPTV. It is all in Korean I am assuming, but the US movies are in English. It also looks like it depends on the show for the quality. Not even sure if this is legal, but it is in the app store.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id405667771?mt=8

If anyone can translate, let me know.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Could you please use / instead of \ on the title? It's a silly request :p[/QUOTE]

Not silly... it's been bugging me as well!

(Okay maybe it's a little silly)

[quote name='Maklershed']Crackle is pretty great. I just assumed you'd have to pay to watch stuff but I'm watching Seinfeld for free right now. And the picture quality is really good.[/QUOTE]

How safe is it?

[quote name='outphase']It's run by Sony.[/QUOTE]
So you're saying it's not safe, that they'll install rootkits and will try to sue people into financial ruin?

[quote name='LuisRM']Very roomy in here. Would it be appropriate to edit the first post with a section for "must have games." It seems every so often someone gets a new ipad, iphone, ipod and asks "what are some must haves?" It would be great to refer them to the first post. Any thoughts? Maybe it's even broken down by sections - puzzle, shooter, etc.[/QUOTE]

+1 We need a recommended games section by CAG users in the first post.

[quote name='Shimrra']How safe is it?[/QUOTE]

It's not some piracy thing if that's what you're asking. It's basically Hulu with a different name.

EDIT: nm, looks like outphase already answered.

Dont know if its still free or not, but yesterday there was a game called Beyond Ynth up for free. I just got around to playing it today and its actually a ton of fun. Its kind of like a Puzzle/Platform cross. You play a little big who you want to get from the start to the end of the stage. To get from one side to the other you must do a mix of platforming and figuring out how to move various boxes the bug is in to line them up with other boxes that way you can scurry inside and use them too. As time goes on the game adds challenges like lava pits you need to avoid or dessert light that will kill you if your in it for more then a second or two which make the boxes all the more important.

Another game I came across for free yesterday(again not sure if its still free or not)was Sylish Dash. Its basically yet another Canabalt/Robot Unicorn style game but still one of the better in this genre iv played. It adds some nice features like power ups and the ability to temporarily fly that keep it interesting.

[quote name='roninld']I think this was mentioned in the previous thread, but there is an app from it looks like Korea which also does free movies/shows called PPTV. It is all in Korean I am assuming, but the US movies are in English. It also looks like it depends on the show for the quality. Not even sure if this is legal, but it is in the app store.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id405667771?mt=8

If anyone can translate, let me know.[/QUOTE]

its not korean, its made by some chinese developer from shanghai.

they have their own website for regular computer:
http://www.pptv.com/

Sonic Speed Ball has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Sonic Speed Ball is a new type of air pong game based on sound instead of sight. Using your iPhone, or iPod Touch as a racket you swing when the approaching ball sounds closest to you – first player to reach 7 points wins the game.
Half the fun is really getting into it, so jump high or swing low just don’t hurt yourself or your device cause we’re not liable."

And it looks like HBO will be wading in to the mobile stream in the very near future with HBO Go. Guess I'll keep my subscription active for a while longer afterall. . .

I hate to start another one of these "what does/doesn't belong in the tread" discussions, but I feel like including the Mac app store is a little much. Adding in the iPad (which I remember generating a bit of debate itself when it happened) was at least understandable because it's an iOS device like the iPhone and iPod. But adding non-iOS devices (unless the Mac can now run iOS apps?) really seems to me like it's diluting the thread too much.

[quote name='arcane93']I hate to start another one of these "what does/doesn't belong in the tread" discussions, but I feel like including the Mac app store is a little much. Adding in the iPad (which I remember generating a bit of debate itself when it happened) was at least understandable because it's an iOS device like the iPhone and iPod. But adding non-iOS devices (unless the Mac can now run iOS apps?) really seems to me like it's diluting the thread too much.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I mean, you don't see Windows phone 7 deals in the same thread as Xbox live deals even though Microsoft produces both products and they're both downloadable services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back