Sonic Generations - Play as classic Sonic & modern Sonic. Now available!

I really don't want to get my hopes up, but this looks really good. It reminds me of Mega Man Universe since they included original Sonic.

Finally, Sega is finally figuring out that we just wanted a old-school Sonic game in beautiful 3D graphics

Bravo Sega! :D

So long as they get rid of the terrible momentum control in Sonic 4, which it so far looks like they have, everything else seems great.

Yeah, the gameplay videos for Classic Sonic look truly fantastic. Some minor things wrong with the physics, but make no mistake-- this is NOT Sonic 4, physics wise. They are definitely better, and for that matter, better than 2D Sonic Colors.

[quote name='eastx']A lot of CAGs won't even buy Sonic 4 at $10, so I don't expect Generations to set this particular crowd on fire.[/QUOTE]

I'd gladly pay $10 for Sonic 4. The problem is you're not paying $10 for Sonic 4, you're paying $10 for Sonic 4 Episode One.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, the gameplay videos for Classic Sonic look truly fantastic. Some minor things wrong with the physics, but make no mistake-- this is NOT Sonic 4, physics wise. They are definitely better, and for that matter, better than 2D Sonic Colors.[/QUOTE]

How in the world can you know that the physics are better then Sonic Colors? Have you played Sonic Generations somewhere?

[quote name='Erad30']Who in their right mind would want to play as "modern" Sonic?[/QUOTE]

The daytime stages from Unleashed were fantastic. Looks like that's what the modern sonic stages will be and the original sonic being just 2D.

I'm hyped.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I really don't want to get my hopes up, but this looks really good. It reminds me of Mega Man Universe since they included original Sonic.[/QUOTE]

This. I am cautiously excited for this.

[quote name='crunchewy']How in the world can you know that the physics are better then Sonic Colors? Have you played Sonic Generations somewhere?[/QUOTE]
You can tell by watching the gameplay video-- the one with the interview that's spliced in. There's more resemblances to the classic physics than what you can see from Sonic Colors-- playing it or watching a video of it.

Also, Ruby Eclipse, a Sega manager (lol his opinion is null because he works for Sega) posted on Sega Retro noting an improvement from Sonic 4's physics. He confirmed that uncurling is not forced when Sonic is launched into the air (already an improvement) and that there are speed increases from rolling down a slope, not to mention the fact that you can break into a roll while running and pressing down.

Also, my theory, if it feels more accurate for you, I'll be happy to call it that, is plausible since this is developed by a different team of Sonic Team (the same team that developed Unleashed-- Colors was done by the team that has been making the "Storybook" games) and not by Dimps (Sonic 4)

[quote name='Survivalism']I'd gladly pay $10 for Sonic 4. The problem is you're not paying $10 for Sonic 4, you're paying $10 for Sonic 4 Episode One.[/QUOTE]

THIS.

When this sega sale happened, I knew sonic 4 would not make it to 400 pts, but if it just somehow happened to make it to 50% off at 600pts I would have bit the bullet. Episodic games are really frustrating, especially for the gamers pocket. Looks like I'll be waiting for a on disc collection will which inevitably hit us years down the line.

[youtube]Wuj-6T_ymqg[/youtube]

The classic gameplay is looking interesting, though everything looks gigantic around sonic for some reason. The nextgen sonic is the same roller coaster autopilot BS I've come to expect form nextgen sonic.

This looks good but I don't wanna get too excited. I was excited for Sonic 4 but then disappointed the moment I played it. I wanna see more of this game at E3.

[quote name='Nico0020']
The classic gameplay is looking interesting, though everything looks gigantic around sonic for some reason. The nextgen sonic is the same roller coaster autopilot BS I've come to expect form nextgen sonic.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Unleashed or Colors? It's far from autopilot.

Not bought a Sonic game since Sonic 3 when it first came out for the megadrive, but I think I'll get this. Gameplay looks impressive. And fun.

Well, one of the reaosn I dislike Sonic 4 is because the homemade free version of sonic look FAR superior than sonic 4. One of thew thing I wanted the most was a pure beautiful 2d game.

halolz-dot-com-sonicthehedgehog-thesoniccycle.jpg

just thought i'd leave that here...

The truck from City Escape looks so f'ing insane now.

Hungry for hedgehog.

The skateboard in the item monitor was cute and perfect.

The only thing I have against this game as a diehard, picky Sonic fan are that people commenting on their playthroughs mention that the rolling physics are near broken. Which is a shame because the whole point of the Sonic character in the first place was to have something that could curl into a ball.

But otherwise, this game has so much ridiculous polish and awesomeness that I literally can't wait to play this. In City Escape, you can see "Missing" posters for Fang and Bark, Mighty and Ray, and Nack the Weasel. So much awesome fan service in the game.

Also, it was tweeted that a demo of the game is coming soon for PS3 and 360-- most likely for Sonic's birthday later this month. Can't wait to get ahold of that.

I didn't know abou the demo. Stoked!!

And when they showed City Escape I got so excited :lol:

I can't wait to see what the other zones are in it. Launch Base would be awesome.

Wasn't aware of the demo either, hopefully it's not too limited.

Pretty pumped for this game as while I know it's not a true Sonic sequel, it's probably the closest thing we'll get, officially that is as that fan Remix project is brilliant.

Demo for PSN and 360 confirmed for tomorrow, Sonic's birthday. Classic Sonic in Green Hill Zone only, and expires 20 days from tomorrow (which is interesting)
I'd post a link, but meh I'm lazy and at work, gotta get back to it.

Just played the demo.

It DID feel like classic Sonic which was very nice. It looks gorgeous but it kinda felt a bit cluttered as well. There's a lot of 'stuff' on the screen, sometimes it was a little distracting. Good fun though. Would be good to see what the modern Sonic levels play like, but I think I'll pick this up next year if I see it cheap.

I am not going to get sucked in yet again. Sonic is done, end of story. The video did nothing to change my mind of that either.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I am not going to get sucked in yet again. Sonic is done, end of story. The video did nothing to change my mind of that either.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you don't like good games then. If they make a good Sonic game, you have no real reason not to play it. And there is that free demo mentioned above.

I couldn't be more excited for this game. Colors was awesome, but it was also on the Wii so it looks like crap on a HDTV. This fixes that problem and has both classic and modern Sonic.

It's like everything I could want in a sonic game is here. 2D levels, 3D levels, HD graphics, no bullshit character stories, and good controls (Sonic 4 EP1 and Sonic Colors were fine, but Sonic 06 gives me nightmares). This is a day 1 purchase, no questions asked, and will be downloading the demo once I get home.

Didn't know about the demo, so glad I read this thread! I'll be adding that to the queue to check after work. I heard someone say earlier in this thread the ball physics were almost broken. That's kinda disappointing. But if this game has otherwise better physics than Sonic 4, I will pre-order this weekend.

The trailer looked amazing! I agree that the environment looked big compared to him, but that gave it a slightly more epic feel to me.

Sadly I haven't gotten to play the demo yet. But the people at Sonic Retro have been digging through the demo's assets. Tons and tons of content, including the current roster of levels and boss battles for the game:

Area 1- Classic
Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Rival Boss- Metal Sonic
Boss- Death Egg

Area 2- Dreamcast Era
Speed Highway
City Escape
Seaside Hill
Rival Boss- Shadow
Boss- Perfect Chaos

Area 3- Modern
Crisis City
Rooftop Run
Planet Wisp
Rival Boss- Silver
Boss- Egg Dragoon

So... sort of disappointing. Three Genesis levels. 4 city levels. There's so many other levels I would have selected over some of Sonic Team's selections and I would have wanted to see more levels added. Not to mention the fact that there is not a Sonic CD level (but one can hope the Rival Boss with Metal Sonic will take place in Stardust Speedway). There's tons of information people got from the demo, so if anyone actually cares about it, I'll try to summarize it in another post. Oh, elemental shields (bubble, fire, electricity) from the Genesis titles have returned.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Sadly I haven't gotten to play the demo yet. But the people at Sonic Retro have been digging through the demo's assets. Tons and tons of content, including the current roster of levels and boss battles for the game:

Area 1- Classic
Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Rival Boss- Metal Sonic
Boss- Death Egg

Area 2- Dreamcast Era
Speed Highway
City Escape
Seaside Hill
Rival Boss- Shadow
Boss- Perfect Chaos

Area 3- Modern
Crisis City
Rooftop Run
Planet Wisp
Rival Boss- Silver
Boss- Egg Dragoon

So... sort of disappointing. Three Genesis levels. 4 city levels. There's so many other levels I would have selected over some of Sonic Team's selections and I would have wanted to see more levels added. Not to mention the fact that there is not a Sonic CD level (but one can hope the Rival Boss with Metal Sonic will take place in Stardust Speedway). There's tons of information people got from the demo, so if anyone actually cares about it, I'll try to summarize it in another post. Oh, elemental shields (bubble, fire, electricity) from the Genesis titles have returned.[/QUOTE]
DAMN IT! Now I want to rent it ~_~

Yeah, I'm super stoked to see Chemical Plant Zone and Sky Sanctuary Zone in HD. Two very solid choices. I just wish they made more choices from that era.

EDIT: Just so I do not seem psychiotic, there was a post I was responding to at one point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played the demo twice now. Definitely miles better than Sonic 4! There are still times when Sonic doesn't want to go all the way up hills, but I did find that holding right when you are running forward or in a ball seems to help with the broken spin dash. Also, I agree with the earlier poster that the backgrounds are distracting! They are beautiful to look at, but without a few playthoughs, it's easy to lose track of Sonic on the screen.

I do realize this is an EARLY demo though, so if they make some slight tweaks to the game, this will be the closest we get to the old retro experience of past Sonic games!

[quote name='eastx']Sounds like you don't like good games then.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it, congrads. There certainly isn't a history of Sonic games disappointing time and time again, so I was wondering why I felt the way I did. But now I don't need to wonder anymore. Thank you.

I dunno.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me at least half a dozen times since Sonic Adventure 2 (and even that wasn't great) came out on the Dreamcast, shame on me.

The early demo was fun, I liked it more than Sonic 4. Defiantly has that Sonic speed. But like other people posted the backgrounds and foregrounds make it hard to see Sonic and enemies. While running I was always worried about slamming strait into an enemy. Hopefully they make them pop a little more.

I liked it more than Sonic 4, but noticed some jerkiness in the camera that didn't sit well with me. I'll put it this way, I was hoping the demo would take me from "hhmmm, this might be good" on my maybe-buy list, to "hhhmmm, I hope it's better than the demo, wait for reviews" probably-won't buy list.

Queue sad panda face. :(

bread's done
Back