L.A. Noire (Dev: Team Bondi, PUB: R* Games) - OUT NOW!

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
lanoirelogo.png

WHERE TO BUY:

DETAILS:
Developers - Team Bondi, Rockstar Games
Publisher - Rockstar Games
Director - Brendan McNamara
Platforms - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release date - NA 17 May 2011, EU 20 May 2011
Genre - Detective fiction
Mode - Open world
ESRB - M17+

*PS3 Exclusive Bonus: Includes "Consul's Car" Traffic Case

Wiki: http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/L.A._Noire_Wiki

SYNOPSIS:
L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games and published by Rockstar Games. Initially announced as only for the PlayStation 3, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360. L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of 1947, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murder mysteries.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting. The game uses a distinctive coloring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The post-war setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s (as well as James Ellroy's novel L.A. Confidential and the Academy Award winning Curtis Hanson film based on it), such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

L.A. Noire is also notable for using Lightsprint's real-time global illumination technology, as well as Depth Analysis's newly developed piece of technology for the film and video game industries called MotionScan, where actors are recorded by 32 surrounding cameras to capture facial expressions from every angle.

LA Noire is the first video game to be shown at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
So...anyone getting it? I just traded in Halo:Reach and F1 2010 towards this and ended up paying $9.99 to pay off my copy. This wasn't anywhere near my must-play list until recent previews. Now, I'm actually quite excited for it.

Rockstar is only publishing the game Team Bondi is the one developing it. I already pre-ordered it, but I definitely see this as being a flop because the style of the game just doesn't suit traditional mainstream audiences and may be a little too sophisticated.

[quote name='0_0']Rockstar is only publishing the game Team Bondi is the one developing it. I already pre-ordered it, but I definitely see this as being a flop because the style of the game just doesn't suit traditional mainstream audiences and may be a little too sophisticated.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping the Rockstar name helps drive sales. So far, the previews have all be highly favorable. So long as the game doesn't become overly repetitive, it should be fun.

I cant wait. I also did the preoder deal at GS. Most games that Rockstar puts their name on are highly entertaining ad provide hours of gameplay. I can only think of one that was no good from back in the day and that was State of Emergency. They rushed that I am sure.

Would have loved a LE/CE for a game like this, but it seems like Rockstar isn't a big fan of offering those. Either way, Amazon's $10 credit and Release Date shipping are both reasons to order from them over the competition.

[quote name='wrencrest']I cant wait. I also did the preoder deal at GS. Most games that Rockstar puts their name on are highly entertaining ad provide hours of gameplay. I can only think of one that was no good from back in the day and that was State of Emergency. They rushed that I am sure.[/QUOTE]

Please do not mention that game:whistle2:#

SoE was complete crap and it was my first game pre-order

I bought SoE hahahhaa I remember running around as that fat guy.

I'm gonna be picking this up for PS3, may want to mention in the OP that there's some exclusive PS3 extra that the 360 may not get or wont get for a while.

I'm probably gonna go with GS just cuz the extra cases.

[quote name='rvdrock']One of my most anticipated, as I tell all my customers, Rockstar doesn't make crappy games...[/QUOTE]
No. They just make glitchy games. Although the glitches are often more fun than the game itself.:booty:

This is on my short list of preordered games for the rest of the year. I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether or not there is any free roaming, but I really don't care. I just hope that when you solve a case the criminal doesn't become a stereotypical bad guy revealing why he did it. I want there to be a chance I'm wrong when I send someone away!

[quote name='ohram']This is on my short list of preordered games for the rest of the year. I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether or not there is any free roaming, but I really don't care. I just hope that when you solve a case the criminal doesn't become a stereotypical bad guy revealing why he did it. I want there to be a chance I'm wrong when I send someone away![/QUOTE]
I read somewhere that you could retry cases to get a better score or something like that, so I would have to beleive you could put away the wrong person somehow. It would be cool to change the story based on who you put away for the crime, whether they really are the criminal or not.

Didn't like GTAIV but love RDR, mainly because it is a pain to drive around in GTA. Hopefully this game won't have the same problem

[quote name='62t']Didn't like GTAIV but love RDR, mainly because it is a pain to drive around in GTA. Hopefully this game won't have the same problem[/QUOTE]
What exactly is such a pain about driving around in GTA? I know sometimes the traffic does some really random shit and destroys your car(s), but for the most part I just go barrelling down the road and if I wreck my car then I just grab another one.

Of course, lately I've just been grabbing a chopper and flying under the map everywhere I want to go.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What exactly is such a pain about driving around in GTA? I know sometimes the traffic does some really random shit and destroys your car(s), but for the most part I just go barrelling down the road and if I wreck my car then I just grab another one.

Of course, lately I've just been grabbing a chopper and flying under the map everywhere I want to go.;)[/QUOTE]

It is those annoying chase mission. Not sure why they can't fix it as I have no problem with Saint Row

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What exactly is such a pain about driving around in GTA? I know sometimes the traffic does some really random shit and destroys your car(s), but for the most part I just go barrelling down the road and if I wreck my car then I just grab another one.

Of course, lately I've just been grabbing a chopper and flying under the map everywhere I want to go.;)[/QUOTE]

What exactly is a pain? The entire driving/handling physics in GTA IV is garbage. The vehicles handle like they are on ice, and the steering is so loose you have to anticipate ever move you make. Then there is the weight, which is entirely unrealistic and makes braking all but useless. It was an...interesting game, but nowhere near as acclaimed as critics made it out to be.

That said, from everything I've heard, L.A. Noire is MUCH tighter with it's controls overall, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

[quote name='SynGamer']What exactly is a pain? The entire driving/handling physics in GTA IV is garbage. The vehicles handle like they are on ice, and the steering is so loose you have to anticipate ever move you make. Then there is the weight, which is entirely unrealistic and makes braking all but useless. It was an...interesting game, but nowhere near as acclaimed as critics made it out to be.

That said, from everything I've heard, L.A. Noire is MUCH tighter with it's controls overall, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.[/QUOTE]
With Rockstar's games I've learned to overcompensate and I have very few issues with losing control while driving, but it's just more fun to me to just smash my way through tons of cars while chasing someone. Unless it's a car I need for a specific mission I drive like a demo derby driver.:lol:

But I've become skilled enough with the 'loose' controls that I can usually powerslide around corners without losing control. The trick is not so much using the brake as the reverse(L2) button to keep the car under control.;)

Try it sometime. When going around a corner, let up on the gas and tap the reverse once or twice while steering to the left. Then once you are around the corner, apply the gas slowly and steer right, then straighten out.:)

This looks great, I'll be buying it...undecided if day 1 or not though.

Some of the people who worked on The Getaway are working on this too, right? I loved that game.

[quote name='SynGamer']What exactly is a pain? The entire driving/handling physics in GTA IV is garbage. The vehicles handle like they are on ice, and the steering is so loose you have to anticipate ever move you make. Then there is the weight, which is entirely unrealistic and makes braking all but useless. It was an...interesting game, but nowhere near as acclaimed as critics made it out to be.

That said, from everything I've heard, L.A. Noire is MUCH tighter with it's controls overall, so I'm definitely looking forward to that.[/QUOTE]
I have always loved the driving in GTA, mainly becuase of what IATCG says. Its just fun to not really need to worry very much about damage and steal another car at any time.

Wow. I remember reading about this game before the ps3 launched, and this was a bug reason I bought a ps3 on launch month. Crazy that it is just coming out now, I am not sure if my interest is still that high. I am going to wait and see on this one.

I am sure it will follow a pattern similar to red dead: the reviews will be good at first an the a month later people will be much less enamored with it.

Wow, I never realized this was announced in 2005! And originally scheduled to release in 2008! Wow. This game better blow someone's mind and sell a ton or the dev has to lose money on this deal right?

Yeah, they had that killer CG trailer for it back then. Then I believe they put it on the back burner. When the PS3 started out so slow they stopped talking about it. Then they announced it would also be available for Xbox a couple years later. Then it went quiet again. I am guessing they have been shifting dev's on and off of it for a while. The concept is amazing, IMHO, I just hope the execution is good.

i agree i thought GTA 4 was overrated. maybe i was expecting a much bigger improvement than previous GTA's or just got tired of its formula. RDR was awesome though.

[quote name='Donut2922']i agree i thought GTA 4 was overrated. maybe i was expecting a much bigger improvement than previous GTA's or just got tired of its formula. RDR was awesome though.[/QUOTE]
With the way they worded the one thing in their press release just before the game released(something about once something is destroyed it'll stay destroyed), I had thought they had gone the Pandemic route and made the game world somewhat destructible.

Of course, had they done that I would likely be playing the game 24/7 then, since I'd be using a chopper to eradicate whole city blocks.;)

[quote name='wrencrest']Wow, I never realized this was announced in 2005! And originally scheduled to release in 2008! Wow. This game better blow someone's mind and sell a ton or the dev has to lose money on this deal right?[/QUOTE]

A teaser trailer was released in 2005 and it's totally different from now what we see. It's a supposed Sony exclusive title but Sony was stupid to not funding the game.

I don't want to watch it, but at the same time I would like to see if I'll be hooked immediately or if I should perhaps wait for reviews instead of going to the midnight launch.

Just read this article with Team Bondi's founder, Brendan McNamara.

http://www.1up.com/previews/la-noire-interview-why-seven-years

They took out whole police divisions in the game!!! Originally, there were burglary and bunko (fraud) divisions too. The game was supposed to be on a 2-sided Blu, but they didn't want to have like 8 discs for the Xbox360. Instead of freebie cases, they will now be DLCs if we get them at all. My cheapass will not be thanking Xbox.

My local kmart had it out on the shelf, but when I got the clerk to scan it, it had a "do not sell until..." message on the screen. Bummer

My primary concern right now is that the game will become repetitive...but that said, I can always trade the game in shortly after release for $30+ on Amazon (or through GameStop + PUR). So that said, bring on the midnight release :)

damn, so I just wiki'd Team Bondi...they have not worked on another game..is this true? I see the director had his hands in The Getaway..but that was such a sub-par game amidst GTA 3 and VC, it doesn't even compare..

IDK though, I still think this game will be fun and something different. I just hope there is enough action (is there even driving?!?) and not just button pressing to chose outcomes or whatever..

[quote name='token2k6']damn, so I just wiki'd Team Bondi...they have not worked on another game..is this true? I see the director had his hands in The Getaway..but that was such a sub-par game amidst GTA 3 and VC, it doesn't even compare..

IDK though, I still think this game will be fun and something different. I just hope there is enough action (is there even driving?!?) and not just button pressing to chose outcomes or whatever..[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYym1U226M

I was thinking about switching my preorder from the PS3 to 360 because of PSN being down but thankfully it's back up now (mostly) and I can just keep my preorder as-is. Yay!

GOTY. Review embargo is up and sites are exploding with perfect scores. To think, almost one year ago RDR released to the same praise. R* is on a roll.

[quote name='Jodou']GOTY. Review embargo is up and sites are exploding with perfect scores. To think, almost one year ago RDR released to the same praise. R* is on a roll.[/QUOTE]

OK, this is pissing me off. Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. Rockstar provided help to them as an external studio, but Rockstar did NOT make this game, they are merely the publisher. /rant

Anyone else get this in the shipping e-mail from Amazon?

Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $10 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The credit will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your product ships once processing is complete.

Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $15 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The credit will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your product ships once processing is complete.

Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $10 Video Games promotional code. The promotion code will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account up to two (2) business days after your product ships.

[quote name='Jodou']GOTY. Review embargo is up and sites are exploding with perfect scores. To think, almost one year ago RDR released to the same praise. R* is on a roll.[/QUOTE]

Most sites I've seen give high scores, say it is flawed but still a great piece of ambitious software. Haven't really seen anyone saying ZOMG GOTY!!!

I personally doubt it is as good as Portal 2... and we have yet to get to the end of a very stacked year in terms of big releases. Still, glad to see the high marks and really looking forward to going through the game. Anyone seen anything on length? Looks to be about a 15 hour or so game from what limited info I've seen.

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, this is pissing me off. Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. Rockstar provided help to them as an external studio, but Rockstar did NOT make this game, they are merely the publisher. /rant[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, but it doesn't help that quite a few of the reviews out there mention Rockstar and it has the Rockstar logo when the commercials play (I could be wrong about that though). Clearly it isn't a Rockstar made game, but that doesn't stop them from hyping it up and using the name.

[quote name='SynGamer']OK, this is pissing me off. Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. Rockstar provided help to them as an external studio, but Rockstar did NOT make this game, they are merely the publisher. /rant[/QUOTE]
What I'm saying is R* obviously had a helping hand in development, as similarities abound. Regardless of who developed, R* has published back to back GOTY contenders and I'd be willing to bet L.A. Noire takes the gold this year.
[quote name='Saint Noir']Most sites I've seen give high scores, say it is flawed but still a great piece of ambitious software. Haven't really seen anyone saying ZOMG GOTY!!!

I personally doubt it is as good as Portal 2... and we have yet to get to the end of a very stacked year in terms of big releases. Still, glad to see the high marks and really looking forward to going through the game. Anyone seen anything on length? Looks to be about a 15 hour or so game from what limited info I've seen.[/QUOTE]I give thumbs up to games that innovate and from what I've seen in reviews, the mo-cap pushes that envelope. It's something new, something fresh. As for Portal 2, I didn't buy it nor do I care to spend $30 on something I'll finish in a day, never to be played again. It may be good, but I generally don't give nods to unnecessary sequels.

bread's done
Back