Best retail deals you have ever gotten...

yatts13

CAGiversary!
I was looking for a thread for CAGs to brag about the best retail deals they have ever gotten. This is it! Try not to exaggerate.

1. Getting a PSone/LCD combo from Kmart for $15
2. Getting a PS2 for free from FYE after they gave me a double rebate after losing my paperwork and paying me at store and then receiving the check for the rebate the next week in the mail.
3. Getting two Beatmania bundles for $4 and tax at Best Buy.

Hey CAGs I have to tell it. Right before the slims came out, in fall 2009, I picked up the last edition xbox arcade (has lego harry potter on the back of box), with the new chip in it, for $199 at walmart with a 100 gift card. This was my first 360 and it does have the three year warranty.

Also in summer 2010 I became a deal addict, there was a blockbuster in my city called the clearance center. All blockbusters that were closing sent their games and movies to this particular blockbuster. Here's some of the games I picked up that were no more than a few months old at the time:

Modern Warfare 2 360 $20
Nba 2k10 ps3 $15
Transformers Revenge ps3 $15
Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 360 + ps3 $15 each
Halo ODST $20
Forza 3 360 $15

At the time Gamestop was having their power trade with extra credit for multiple games. That summer I traded in all those blockbuster games to get Battlefield BC2, Final Fantasy XIII, Super Street Fighter 2, and Transformers War for Cybertron. I probaly could have gotten more deals but I stopped going to the blockbuster, and it closed beginning of the year.

I am a deal feen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega Dreamcast I got for free with purchase of Sonic.

After the 32X failed I bought one new at EB for $2. I also got a Sega Saturn new from EB for like $50 (after trade ins I paid just $2 on that too.)

Those are probably the best deals I have ever got retail.

Oh, I almost forgot I bought Suikoden 1 at CVS for $5. This was a little bit before Suikoden II came out so not too old. I only wish I bought more than one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not incredibly amazing, but one of my recent favorites was getting :360: Dead Space for $9.95 from EA's website. I wasn't sure I even liked the game at first, but it turned into one of my favorite games of the generation and I ended up playing through three times and getting all of the achievements. One of my best value-for-money deals.

Back before Circuit City closed, I had some pretty good clearance finds-- :gba: Final Fantasy VI and :wii: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for ~$11 each among them.

rock band 1 xbox360 drum set for $7 at k-mart.
and a nintendo ds starter kit along with elite beat agents for $5.

There was an Ultimate Electronics that closed down near me last month and I managed to snag Fable III Collector's Edition for $20, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Limited Edition for $30 and then on one trip I got Splatterhouse, Blood Stone and Just Cause 2 all for $30.

I went to Target yesterday and picked up Army of Two:The 40th Day for $4.98.

I got the Aliens Vs. Predator Hunter Edition on Amazon for $24 new a few weeks ago.

I also got Dark Sector and Jericho for $5 a piece new on Amazon too.

Where there's a deal, you'll see me.

Wow those are amazing. Some of you guys are really lucky!

Best deals I have gotten is recently through the Target Clearance thread.

Mainly Fable III Collector's Edition for 20 bucks.

Back when TRU had MASSIVE clearances, I picked up 5 copies each of Soul Calibur 2 and Primal for $1.96 a pop. I then flipped them to EB with the promo they were running: "Trade in any 5 games and get any new release game free". Forgot which 2 I got, but I fully paid off 2 unreleased games for $10 each out of pocket.

I remember Gamestop/Eb games having used Dreamcasts and N64's used for 9.99 each at one point....

The best deals no doubt came from Kmart, tons of $2-3 Gamecube and PS2 games. I was trading them in for good money at Gamestop too. They were all pretty bad games so I don't really regret trading any of them. I didn't even have a PS2 back then but I was just buying the games to trade them in because they were so cheap.

Pikmin 2 for 9.99 from Sears.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']Does anyone know how often that Target Clearance thread gets updated?[/QUOTE]

Now that it's wikified, isn't it whenever people feel like reporting something? Since it's largely YMMV, I just try to hit my Target with some sort of regular schedule to see what they newly have on clearance(if anythings).

Halo 3 Legendary for $16 at Toys R Us really sticks out in my mind. Also $.47 DS games at Sears (even if they were total crap.)

Hmmm...

Fable The Lost Chapters for $3 & Final Fantasy XII for $4 at toys r us (plus they were buy one get one half off)

Gamecrazy had a bunch of good deals a while back. Same thing I think it was bogo or bogo 50% off. Crackdown $10, Rainbow Vegas 2 $10, and a few others.

Sears back in the day the Logitech Xbox 360 Harmony for $31

Target Starcraft 2 collector's edition $25

During 2008 I believe, I took advantage of the target glitch ( buy a game and get 1600 point card for xbox ) needless to say, I bought a bunch of clearance games, flip them at amazon for a profit and sold the cards on eBay or CL. During the same time, I got a free ps3 blu ray controller with another coupon glitch.

Probably buying $100 in games feom blockbuster then trading them to gs the. Tradint back to bb then back to gs untill i got $400 in gs cred (all in about a day) & got a ps3.

Then i got banned from bbv the following week.

Other than that, getting earthbound for 1.99 at a pawn 3 weeks ago, but thats not really retail

when i was a teenager, there was a sears that had no sensors at their doors..

i built up a nice little dreamcast collection

[quote name='moop2001']The 36 Dragon Quest IX's I got at Best Buy for $6.99 each. Quite the profit with those.[/QUOTE]

i think i missed that one. how???

Star Wars Clone Wars/Tetris Worlds XBox game for $0.01 at Circuit City
Rock Band Special Edition PS3 for $15 at KMart
Sega Saturn console for $29.99 at TRU in 1999, I bought some games at TRU for $6 and then went to EB and got some new games for $0.99 - $7 each and they were giving away free 3D controllers with the purchase of any Saturn game. For under $100 I ended up with a Saturn, 4 controllers and around 15 games all new.

[quote name='Animal7390']i think i missed that one. how???[/QUOTE]

It was all over everywhere. On Sunday morning at about 12am someone posted that Best Buy was selling it for $6.99 online. It was only online. I ordered a bunch for pickup in-store. Quite the deal.

I've had too many ridiculous, random retail deals over the years, but here's a couple more recent ones that stick out:

Back in February, two copies of Mass Effect 2 CE popped up at the Wal-Mart that is literally like 2 miles from my house. I go in there at least twice a week, and ALWAYS scan the video game section. These just showed up out of the blue. Cost? $40/ea.

A bit ago, I was out of town, and found myself being called to a Wal Mart in kind of a rough neighborhood. I had been there about 3 months before, and found some decent old stuff, but something told me to drop back by. Went in, found 6 copies of Tales of the Abyss ($15/ea), 1 copy of .dot hack redemption (was $20, I believe), and 1 copy of DBZ 3 for the Wii ($15). Funnily enough, I had actually found 4 copies of Tales of the Abyss at this same store on a previous visit. To really top it off, I had actually found my first copy of DBZ 3 the week before, at another store in my home town for $15, as well.

It's amazing how you can go for so long without seeing a certain game you might be searching for, or that is rare, and then all of a sudden, you will have a streak where it's like you're tripping over them.

Needless to say, both of those trips made my day (or week as it may be). I'll have to think of some other noteworthy purchases.

[quote name='kingtut313']when i was a teenager, there was a sears that had no sensors at their doors..

i built up a nice little dreamcast collection[/QUOTE]

Yo, don't brag about the fuck in' five finger discount.

[quote name='kingtut313']when i was a teenager, there was a sears that had no sensors at their doors..

i built up a nice little dreamcast collection[/QUOTE]

This is the best retail deals thread not the retail theft thread.

A long time ago TRU had a massive clearance/sale of games. I bought Pikmin 2 for like $10. I got a PSone LCD screen for under $30 from Kmart.

I also got from Blockbuster Video/Gamerush Sonic Mega Collection for $5 and Soul Calibur II for $5.

I don't think I did too well as best retail deals go.

At Best Buy I got a Tekken 6 arcade stick for under $40. At Kmart, $3-$5 for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Probably buying $100 in games feom blockbuster then trading them to gs the. Tradint back to bb then back to gs untill i got $400 in gs cred (all in about a day) & got a ps3.

Then i got banned from bbv the following week.

Other than that, getting earthbound for 1.99 at a pawn 3 weeks ago, but thats not really retail[/QUOTE]
i feel you on this. i loved blockbuster back in the day. i had 300 dollars in credit at blockbuster in two hours. took a lunch break went to get some more credit and i was banned. damn lady at oneof the stores was being a b**ch. oh well

I can't really think of a great retail deal but the single best deal for me was a glitch at Microsoft.com a couple years ago. I got 6 copies of Dragon Age, 6 copies of Assassins Creed II, and 6 Three Month XBL Gold Cards all for $13 I think it was.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I can't really think of a great retail deal but the single best deal for me was a glitch at Microsoft.com a couple years ago. I got 6 copies of Dragon Age, 6 copies of Assassins Creed II, and 6 Three Month XBL Gold Cards all for $13 I think it was.[/QUOTE]

That is retail, online retail.

This one is easy.

back a while ago when circuit city had that first big clearance deal where a huge amount of games were marked (not clearanced) for $4.99. I took the list of games to the local sears that had a 10% of the difference price-match policy. I had them pull everyone of the games in their case that was on the list. I cant recall if it was a box or bags they got to carry them all to the cash wrap. The manager wanted to call circuit city personally to verify those were the sale prices. He took my number and called me back so I could pick up my games.

The beauty of it was because sears was/is so slow to update prices most if not all of the games were still $50, meaning i got the games for about $.50 a piece. I dont know exactly how many games I got, but i spent about $100 on that transaction.

It was ridiculous, after the number of years that have past, it still makes me smile.

Best deal was probably my first CAG deal: the $5 CC clearance. I bought like $70 worth of a games. Second best was probably the TRU $10 sale, where I picked up Digital Devil Saga Deluxe Edition and Pikmin 2 for $10.

These were years ago, and nothing has really matched in in the past few years. It so hard to get any deals these days in my town ever since places like Circuit City and Office Depot went out of business. TRU seems to have completely stopped dropping good games on clearance and Kmart is swiped clean within minutes.

I guess the Hollywood Video's $5 used game sale was pretty good, that was a year or two ago, I think. I picked up a quite a few decent games and even got a few new ones for cheap. But they're gone now too.

Back when Windwaker was out, they had the master quest/oot preorder game for $4.99. Went to the register with it and it rang up for a penny. I was surprised they let me buy it because whenever I tried to buy pennied out guides from there they never let me.

[quote name='paz9x']This one is easy.

back a while ago when circuit city had that first big clearance deal where a huge amount of games were marked (not clearanced) for $4.99. I took the list of games to the local sears that had a 10% of the difference price-match policy. I had them pull everyone of the games in their case that was on the list. I cant recall if it was a box or bags they got to carry them all to the cash wrap. The manager wanted to call circuit city personally to verify those were the sale prices. He took my number and called me back so I could pick up my games.

The beauty of it was because sears was/is so slow to update prices most if not all of the games were still $50, meaning i got the games for about $.50 a piece. I dont know exactly how many games I got, but i spent about $100 on that transaction.

It was ridiculous, after the number of years that have past, it still makes me smile.[/QUOTE]
So much win in this story.

[quote name='Vinny']Best deal was probably my first CAG deal: the $5 CC clearance. [/QUOTE]

Yeah I would have to go with this deal too. It was the first massive holy shit OMG clearance on CAG - it may seem commonplace now, but finding a retail store selling new games for FIVE BUCKS was unheard of.

I also remember that $10 TRU clearance, it was right before Christmas I believe, I got a lot of good stuff like Pikmin 2 and Digital devil saga.

As for an individual game deal, I got Midway arcade treasures 2 Xbox for 0.01 at Circuit city.

I suspect the golden age of amazing deals is over. Sure, there will still be good deals to be had here and there, and there will be store liquidations, glitches etc, but that $5 CC sale was once in a lifetime type shit. When was the last time a major chain randomly dropped 50-100 games to rock bottom prices and you came out of the store with several bags full?

[quote name='yatts13']That is retail, online retail.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm an idiot.

The other best deal I may be getting is groupon with their $10 for $20 barnes and Noble credit. Groupon ended up refunding me for 20 orders, but the orders I placed using the credits are still on schedule to be shipped from B&N. One already did and if the others do I'll end up with 6 pre orders for a total of $42.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Yeah I would have to go with this deal too. It was the first massive holy shit OMG clearance on CAG - it may seem commonplace now, but finding a retail store selling new games for FIVE BUCKS was unheard of.

I also remember that $10 TRU clearance, it was right before Christmas I believe, I got a lot of good stuff like Pikmin 2 and Digital devil saga.

As for an individual game deal, I got Midway arcade treasures 2 Xbox for 0.01 at Circuit city.

I suspect the golden age of amazing deals is over. Sure, there will still be good deals to be had here and there, and there will be store liquidations, glitches etc, but that $5 CC sale was once in a lifetime type shit. When was the last time a major chain randomly dropped 50-100 games to rock bottom prices and you came out of the store with several bags full?[/QUOTE]

Lets just say one time I came out of Kmart with 3 bags full of games for under $5 each. I just couldn't resist at those prices, even though I was buying PS2 games when I didn't even have a PS2. Combine that with Gamestop's trade 3 and get extra $10 that I think was going on at the time and you have epic win.

Retail clearance is far from commonplace now, though since we are sorta nearing the end of a generation it might pick up again. I seriously doubt it will get down to $2-5 games in massive quantities though. But the problem is that with the Wii and DS more people are playing games now than before and therefore more games are selling from stores than before and people here will buy anything that is marked down 10%.

I thought it was worth mentioning since it was a such great "deal" and it came after flipping at BBV died. I remember getting 10 copies of Fairytale Fights for free at Best Buy and then trading them in to Blockbuster for $220 in credit. Good times.

A more recent deal was getting Fable III CE for $20 at Target and then trading the game into GS for $32. I already had a copy of Fable III that I bought at Kmart for $10 out of pocket (after coupons).

Shortly after the SNES launched we rented one with SMW from the local video store. When our rental was up our dad agreed to buy one for us. He told the person working that TRU had it for $150 (price was $199 then still) and they just said ok and sold it to him for that. That was the most amazing thing to me as a kid, I remember thinking my dad was some all powerful shopping guru for months.

This past weekend I got 2 Xbox 360 Arcades (open box, one made in 09 the other in 10) for $30 each at Microcenter....

My best score overall was finding a black label Squaresoft Final Fantasy X randomly at Wal-mart. Paid $20 for it and promptly flipped it for $300.

[quote name='caedeskhan']My best score overall was finding a black label Squaresoft Final Fantasy X randomly at Wal-mart. Paid $20 for it and promptly flipped it for $300.[/QUOTE]

$300 for sealed black label Final Fantasy X? That's pretty sweet.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']1. Getting a PSone/LCD combo from Kmart for $15
2. Getting a PS2 for free from FYE after they gave me a double rebate after losing my paperwork and paying me at store and then receiving the check for the rebate the next week in the mail.
3. Getting two Beatmania bundles for $4 and tax at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I found my sister the PSone LCD screen at fye in their clearance bin. It was around $8 after discount and she got a PSone in a huge yard sale buy up we managed to get for $4.

As for personal ones...

DDR Universe 3 dance mat bundle for $5 at K-Mart. I also got the Live Cam for $10 that day which included a month of XBL Gold, Uno and an extra headset that made it a steal.

Years ago, I wanna say '95-ish as Nintendo's 64 was being discussed, I picked up Mighty Max for the SNES with a VHS included for $10 at my old K-Mart. While not a great deal, that was when video stores were selling used SNES games for $15-$20 and it was one of my first new game purchases which was awesome for me at the time. Plus, I really enjoyed the game. I also got my sister a Gameboy Game Genie that day for $4.

Final Fight One for the GBA for $4.99 clearance from FYE. It was surrounded by copies of World Poker Tour and other crap.

And for online... the infamous recyclebank ea codes. I got practically every Sims 2 DLC for free.

But yeah, most of my great deals have been used or non-gaming related.

$5 Circuit City sale was definitely awesome. Besides that, Beatmania with Controller from Best Buy for $4.99 (national markdown) and Digital Devil Saga from Toys R Us definitely top the list.

bread's done
Back