Good Board Games?

SilverBulletKY

CAGiversary!
I got Risk and Pictureka from the .99 sale, but what other games are good? I know that there is an app for Carcassone and some others.

Reiner Knizia's Samurai is *great*. It's up there with Carcassonne. Both should be on your list and never mind the price. They are both easily worth it.

A new one I just got recently is Tikal, and so far I'm liking it. Having said that, I think it plays much better on the iPad then the iPhone. It seems especially cramped on the iPhone. I don't think they did a good job of adapting it to both platforms. Still, it is playable and the game itself seems pretty cool and if you have an iPad you're set. It's a European board game and is apparently a popular one. It has online play, but I haven't tested it out yet. Unfortunately the online is limited to 2 players (2 humans, but with AI players too if you want) for now. Apparently a limitation of OpenFeint. The same dev made Medici, which is quite good though no online (yet). They also made Ra. Ra itself is a good game and the app is decently well done and is fine for playing versus AI (and pass-and-play), but the online is hopelessly broken at the moment. Allegedly they've got it working in Tikal now, though, so presumably they'll get Ra working too. I'm not as happy with Ra (as implemented) as I am with Medici, though and, so far, Tikal.

http://appshopper.com/games/reiner-knizias-samurai (Universal)
http://appshopper.com/games/ra-designed-by-reiner-knizia (Universal)
http://appshopper.com/games/medici (iPad)
http://appshopper.com/games/medici-for-iphone (iPhone/iPod touch)

P.S. I think we need a general board games thread with an OP that has a listing (and links to) all the available board games. Make it a wiki so everybody can contribute. Could be this thread with a changed title and wikified OP!

Carcassonne is totally worth it, it's so well done. After you play it you will wish every other iOS Board game had it's features.

Monopoly's a lot of fun at 99c, but the AI seems to cheat, so I'd hesitate to recommend it at higher than 99c.

Does Neuroshima Hex have multiplayer yet?

These are all great for groups of players, and we play them at our weekly game night:
•Carcassonne
•Kingsburg
•Medici (awesome for up to 6 players!)
•New World Colony
•Ra (also for up to 6!)
•Roll Through the Ages
•Small World
•Tikal
•Wabash Cannonball

HIVE used to be available, but was removed from the app store, which is a real shame.

Most of the Reiner Knizia stuff is a safe bet, but a lot of them are single player only.

I'm really glad you posted this!

There's a nice forum posting on BoardGameGeek called "iPad Board Games: Multiplayer and Available Now" that's got a pretty complete list, too. It's worth looking over for some smaller stuff!

Thanks for the heads up on those smaller games. New World Colony seems to have good reviews and it's free! I'm downloading it now and will check it out later. Also will look at the others you listed, Jek. I wish Small World supported more then 2 players. I may still pick that up, though. I'm unsure.

Another game I recommend is Michael Schacht's Gold - this is pretty cool because it's unavailable in physical form in the US. It's better on the iPad, though, as on the iPad it supports the full 3 players, where as on the iPhone it's only 2 players. It's too easy when played as a 2 player game, though it's still worth playing. It's a simple, but clever and fun card game. Easy to pick up and play. No multiplayer at all, but it's a good single player game.

My top recs are

Carcassone
Small World
Through the Desert
Samurai

The others people have mentioned are still good but I like the above 4 the best. Catan is a great implementation if your a fan of the game, I personally do not care for it though.

I wish Monopoly for the iPad would drop to a buck I have Here and Now (phone version) and it works good on the iPad.

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the heads up on those smaller games. New World Colony seems to have good reviews and it's free! I'm downloading it now and will check it out later. [/QUOTE]

Glad you got it while it was free... it looks like today's update made it $3.99! Awesome timing!

Hey, thats my fish! is now on the app store. Iv never played it(App or board game)but its supposed to be really good.

Also....tikal has way too long of a "tutorial" and I phrase it that way because there basically is no tutorial just a dull ass rule book. I like it when games teach you as you play...

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hey, thats my fish! is now on the app store. Iv never played it(App or board game)but its supposed to be really good.

Also....tikal has way too long of a "tutorial" and I phrase it that way because there basically is no tutorial just a dull ass rule book. I like it when games teach you as you play...[/QUOTE]

So far Tikal seems like a good game, though. However, their online is still semi-broken. Well, it works fine as long as you stick to playing on one device. If you open your online game on a second device it goes haywire and then it resets the game back to turn 1. :( So stick to playing it on an iPad if you have one, at least for online. Also the game isn't as nice on an iPhone due to the small screen anyway. I do recommend it if you have an iPad. Less sure about recommending it for an iPhone/iPod touch.

[quote name='pROvIs']Seems like many of the board games rarely have sales. Very sad :([/QUOTE]

Im not too worried about that since board games are my favs. If they are around $5 or if its a game I own the physical copy of and already know I love(small world/carc)then I have just went ahead and bought them at full price. I want to encourage development of lots and lots more board games anyways. Come on Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Qwirkle, Summoner Wars and Lost Cities...o and Tzaar and yish....o yeah and Tayu would be kind of nice....and power grid......ok im going to stop now. Seriously though id be thrilled if I could get TTR, Tzaar, Agricola, Lost Cities and Summoner Wars, the rest is just icing on the cake.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Im not too worried about that since board games are my favs. If they are around $5 or if its a game I own the physical copy of and already know I love(small world/carc)then I have just went ahead and bought them at full price. I want to encourage development of lots and lots more board games anyways. Come on Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Qwirkle, Summoner Wars and Lost Cities...o and Tzaar and yish....o yeah and Tayu would be kind of nice....and power grid......ok im going to stop now. Seriously though id be thrilled if I could get TTR, Tzaar, Agricola, Lost Cities and Summoner Wars, the rest is just icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

The problem with putting some of those on ipad is that they have a lot of hidden info that needs to be concealed to the player. If you want a player vs. AI setup, that's easy, but if you have multiplayer it gets messy.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']The problem with putting some of those on ipad is that they have a lot of hidden info that needs to be concealed to the player. If you want a player vs. AI setup, that's easy, but if you have multiplayer it gets messy.[/QUOTE]

Trust me I understand that. We bought Bang and a few others that are compltly worthless as multiplayer Ipad experiences because they require so much hidden information. That said though those are still some of my fav games, so I am perfectly happy to only have an A.I player.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']The problem with putting some of those on ipad is that they have a lot of hidden info that needs to be concealed to the player. If you want a player vs. AI setup, that's easy, but if you have multiplayer it gets messy.[/QUOTE]

Online is the way to go for those, but even if not, you can manage. Just hide such things during passing the device.

I'm also willing to pay full price for iPad/iPhone board games. They are easily worth the money and bargains in comparison to the physical games. It's like they are always on sale, not never.

[quote name='crunchewy']Online is the way to go for those, but even if not, you can manage. Just hide such things during passing the device.

I'm also willing to pay full price for iPad/iPhone board games. They are easily worth the money and bargains in comparison to the physical games. It's like they are always on sale, not never.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the price to buy an IOS board game vs a full release board game is a big difference maker with me too. A lot of these games cost $30-$50 for the full releases so to be able to pay $5-$10 for them is pretty damn sweet. I mean shit iv bought a lot of full board games for that $30-$50 and then either me or my wife hate them and you never get to play them again. With the Ipad at worst I am out the $5-$10 and besides that if my wife dislikes one I can still play it. Thus part of why I am really hoping to get an IOS version of Agricola a game we spent like $50+ on and now my wife will never play again.

Bohnanza is now out for Iphone and Ipad. Ipad version is $5 and the Iphone is $1 or $2 less. I cant vouch for the IOS versions but my wife and I own the physical game and it sees a lot of play at our house. Only problem I could see with an IOS version is that it is a game that relies HEAVILY on trading cards out of your hand so keeping things secret could be a pain.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Bohnanza is now out for Iphone and Ipad. Ipad version is $5 and the Iphone is $1 or $2 less. I cant vouch for the IOS versions but my wife and I own the physical game and it sees a lot of play at our house. Only problem I could see with an IOS version is that it is a game that relies HEAVILY on trading cards out of your hand so keeping things secret could be a pain.[/QUOTE]

I believe the multiplayer only supports two human players as well. I'm intrigued, never having played it, but I'd be a lot more intrigued if it had online play, and no 2 human player limit.

[quote name='crunchewy']I believe the multiplayer only supports two human players as well. I'm intrigued, never having played it, but I'd be a lot more intrigued if it had online play, and no 2 human player limit.[/QUOTE]

It really is an amazing game and one of the best party games available IMO....but as an IOS game I imagine its just ok.

Board Games I'd recommend are:

Catan
Lux Touch/Lux DLX 2 - Risk, but with a lot of different maps
iStrageia
Adventure Zones - The Amazing Labyrinth, but with a ton of maps
Zooloretto
Dungeons & Dice

[quote name='crunchewy']I believe the multiplayer only supports two human players as well. I'm intrigued, never having played it, but I'd be a lot more intrigued if it had online play, and no 2 human player limit.[/QUOTE]

That's really too bad. I love Bohnanza, but it's really more fun with a larger group. :(

I played Catan for the first time (I mean the real version) this past weekend. I hope they add online to the iOS version sometime soon, but then again I suppose the bidding could really bog down an online game, unless the games are always live, and then that has it's own issues. But if you played with friends that could work.

Puerto Rico is supposed to be coming out some time soon. Last I heard it was only going to be for the iPad. That's a great game. Unfortunately being developed for iOS by Sage Games, though. :( Their track record isn't so hot.

Ticket to ride comes out tonight for 6.99. The 3 expansions are on sale for a buck each this week only. I've been hoping they would release this for a long time, one of my all time favorite board games. It should be out at 11 pm est.

[quote name='caltab']Ticket to ride comes out tonight for 6.99. The 3 expansions are on sale for a buck each this week only. I've been hoping they would release this for a long time, one of my all time favorite board games. It should be out at 11 pm est.[/QUOTE]

Just saw your post about this in the sale thread and basically made it clear how much I love the game. Seeing you say now that on top of the base game that the 3 xpacks are only a buck each is even more awesome!

Yes! I just read that on toucharcade, and this game integrates with Days of Wonders' own online play! That is like the best news ever! It also supports Game Center. I'm buying it and all the expansions tonight. So exciting. Only downside is I see no mention of same-device multiplayer. But then since you have to hide cards, I guess that makes sense. Still, we're taking a train ride this summer and I'd have loved to have that option. None-the-less, day one purchase. It does support solo play versus AI.

Lack of same device multi player would be really sad/lame but id still pick it up. In general I have been trying to pick up any decent board game that comes out at full price to try and support developers releasing more.

Looking at the screenshots on toucharcade, I'm afraid it really does look like there is no same-device multiplayer. I see only "Solo" and "Online" as options. :( I'll still buy it too, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

[quote name='crunchewy']Looking at the screenshots on toucharcade, I'm afraid it really does look like there is no same-device multiplayer. I see only "Solo" and "Online" as options. :( I'll still buy it too, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I was hoping there was 1 last game to be bothered having to set up! Ah well at least we own TTR in physical form. We will def still buy the Ipad version though. I will probally play it a fair amount and since its one of my wife's fav games I bet she plays it a lot.

[quote name='crunchewy']Puerto Rico is supposed to be coming out some time soon. Last I heard it was only going to be for the iPad. That's a great game. Unfortunately being developed for iOS by Sage Games, though. :( Their track record isn't so hot.[/QUOTE]

What makes you say that Sage's track record isn't so hot? I've had some technical issues with Ra, but Medici is great, and Tikal (while a bit unwieldy) isn't bad.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']What makes you say that Sage's track record isn't so hot? I've had some technical issues with Ra, but Medici is great, and Tikal (while a bit unwieldy) isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

Tikal is the only one I have a complaint with of the 3 and thats just because the tutorial in that game sucks ass.

All the Sage games have poorly thought out interfaces and a fair number of annoyances. Medici is the best of the bunch, probably because it's simplest. Ra's onilne is completely broken, but the dev at least knows about it. Of course they've tried to fix it twice already, both time assuring everyone it was fixed, and then it didn't work at all. I have never had a game of Ra online *not* get stuck. Tikal I've had a game get stuck, though none of my current ones are stuck yet, so it's at least better then Ra in that regard. But if you try to switch between iPhone and iPad with an online game, the game blows up and resets you to turn 1, and on top of that then you end up with two of the player who started the game in the game, but one's a computer - the other person can't easily tell them apart.

In addition, Tikal has nice ideas poorly implemented. Take, for example, double tap to zoom in/out. Good feature, but stupidly implemented in Tikal. In order to rotate a tile for placement you have to tap it. If you try to tap quickly, which is always what I naturally do, then the game zooms in, then out, in then out. It's really, really stupid. All they have to do is ignore double taps when tapping on a tile to place it. To me it seems dead obvious and seems like something they should have caught before release. It's just dumb. Also it's easy to mistap and it's really easy to miss that you have some piece selected an then accidentally move it some where. Or accidentally make a camp. And there is no Undo. How did they not run into these issues in testing? I have no idea. So, basically, bad designs and poor testing.

Ok, rant off. :)

EDIT: correction - I've had two games of Tikal get stuck, not just one, and while my current two games are still progressing, I have not actually finished any. So it's 0 and 2 so far, with 2 I can't be sure of yet.

As I stated above we were really confused playing the tutorial of Tikal. I dont suppose one of you(most likely Crunc or Jek)know a good video tutorial or anything?

No, I don't know of any. I was able to figure it out from the tutorial. I'll try to write something up, but I'm not sure it would be any better then the tutorial. It's best to go through the tutorial and then just try playing the game versus an AI or two.

Basically, each turn you get a tile to place. You have to place it such that at least one edge is connected to another tile with at least one block on the edge (the block could be on the existing tile). After that, you do other stuff, each of which costs you "Action Points", of which you get 10 AP per turn to spend.

Putting a new worker or leader (there's only one leader) at a camp costs 1 AP. Moving them costs 1 AP per edge block you pass through and you can't pass through edges that don't have a block on them. If an edge has 3 blocks on it, it costs 3 AP to go through that edge.

You can dig up a treasure for 3 AP. You can only dig up one treasure per worker/leader in the tile, and there's a limit of 2 treasures per turn.

You can uncover a temple, raising it's value by one, for I think 2 AP. I think there's a limit to the number of times you can uncover a temple, but I'm not sure - check the tutorial.

You can place a camp for I think it's 5 AP, but only on a clear tile (no temple, no treasure remaining) and only if you have the most workers/leader there (the leader counts as 3 workers). Once you place a camp you can place workers/leader there instead of the initial camp. You get either 1 or 2 more camps. I forget.

You can also swap treasures with another player, but only single treasures for single treasures, for I believe it's 3 AP. There are 3 of a each type of treasure in the game. If you have 2 or 3 of one kind you can't swap them nor have them swapped away from you.

Lastly, you can guard a temple for 5 AP, but only if you have the most workers/leader on that temple at the time. Alas, you also lose all the workers/leader that you have on that tile when you guard it! Once guarded, you always get the points for that temple and no one else can.

On some turns you may be dealt a Volcano instead of a regular tile. The game does a terrible job of making it clear that this has happened except if you have those annoying dialogues all on. Another example of bad design. The only clue is the sound effect, then, and the fact that you won't be given a tile to place (you place the volcano later). Anyway, if you are dealt a volcano you don't place it right away. Instead everyone, starting with you, gets a scoring round. You spend your 10 APs to try to position yourself to score the most points and after you use your 10 APs you receive points.

Scoring is this: if you have the most workers (again, a leader counts as 3 workers) on a temple, then you score the points for that temple. You also get points for treasures. For single treasures you get 1 point. For doubles you get, I think it's 3 points. For triples you get 6 points. After you score points, then the next player gets to use 10 AP to position themselves for maximum points and then they score. Etc. Finally it comes back to you and then you place the volcano on the board. No one can travel through a volcano tile.

The game ends after a 3rd volcano tile is drawn (I think it's the 3rd - I can't remember), but everybody gets one last scoring round. Err... actually now I'm not sure of that. Check the tutorial for how it ends. I have yet to get to the end of a game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks for the long write up. Ill try and look it over and see if I can figure it out. Hopefully I can! I tend to do well at board games once I learn them, but it takes me a bit to pick up the rules(especially when i cant play/watch examples since I am a visual learner).

The only things I'd add to crunchewy's awesome writeup:

•The leader is worth 3 units of control, so be careful when you place it, and careful not to make it disappear when you control a temple unless it's worth the loss of the leader.

•Temples can be uncovered 2 times per turn, but you have to have an expedition member there for each level uncovered.

Otherwise, awesome job of explaining it!

I see now why you dislike some of the things that Sage has done. I tend to play my iPad board games as if they were normal board games, by which I mean with a group of people at a table. I'll play some solo, but usually just to check out the AI, or pass some time. I can't say we've had a week go by where we haven't had frothing demand for Medici, which is outstanding with a group that really knows how to play. I suppose we're grading these games on somewhat of a different scale! :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend Ticket to Ride. The only feature that it's missing (for me) is local multiplayer. The online multiplayer is excellent, and the presentation is amazing. I was hesitant at the slightly higher than average price, but it's really worth the cost of admission!

Ya, I also very much recommend ticket to ride. The presentation is great and ranked online multiplayer is awesome. For me, easily rivals carcassonne as the best board game on the iPad. A very polished game.

Ticket to Ride seems great so far. I can sort of understand now why it doesn't have local multiplayer, because it shows the currently selected ticket's destinations, etc, all the time. I still think they could have done it by hiding the screen during passing, though, and not have those things showing all the time, instead only when you tap or hold a button. Maybe they'll have a change of heart in an update. The interface is slick and works great. I played a solo game and it plays great.

I haven't tried the online yet other then to log in and see the chat, the games that were playing, etc. Those who've tried the online can verify, but I believe this is a live online game, not asynchronous, and I think that's the best choice for this game. It ought to go quickly and you're only going to get that with live games. I really wish Carcassonne had a lobby system like this and live games (though asynchronous as an option too).

Are you folks using a Days of Wonder login or GameCenter? The game offers both. My Days of Wonder account is "crunc". GameCenter is "Crunc is".

I bought all the expansions. I've played Europe (the real one) and it's a great variant. I also have 1910 and that's a nice improvement over the base game. I haven't ever played the other game variant on offer. I'm looking forward to trying that out.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ticket to Ride seems great so far. I can sort of understand now why it doesn't have local multiplayer, because it shows the currently selected ticket's destinations, etc, all the time. I still think they could have done it by hiding the screen during passing, though, and not have those things showing all the time, instead only when you tap or hold a button. Maybe they'll have a change of heart in an update. The interface is slick and works great. I played a solo game and it plays great.

I haven't tried the online yet other then to log in and see the chat, the games that were playing, etc. Those who've tried the online can verify, but I believe this is a live online game, not asynchronous, and I think that's the best choice for this game. It ought to go quickly and you're only going to get that with live games. I really wish Carcassonne had a lobby system like this and live games (though asynchronous as an option too).

Are you folks using a Days of Wonder login or GameCenter? The game offers both. My Days of Wonder account is "crunc". GameCenter is "Crunc is".

I bought all the expansions. I've played Europe (the real one) and it's a great variant. I also have 1910 and that's a nice improvement over the base game. I haven't ever played the other game variant on offer. I'm looking forward to trying that out.[/QUOTE]

It is a live online game, and yeah, the lobby system rocks. There are private games, too.

I'm using GameCenter to log in, and I actually saw you and sent you a game invite last night, maybe next time, I guess!

How is Roll Through the Ages? I think its one of the only(if not the only)board game I do not own at this point on IOS(seriously I have 3 folders full of board games at this point).

[quote name='Jek Porkins']It is a live online game, and yeah, the lobby system rocks. There are private games, too.

I'm using GameCenter to log in, and I actually saw you and sent you a game invite last night, maybe next time, I guess![/QUOTE]

Ah - so that was you! Yeah, I didn't have time at that moment to play. Definitely another time. What was your username again?

Question about the online - when you invite someone to a game, is that strictly 2 player or can you invite multiple people and/or include random people? I greatly prefer the game with 4 or more players.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']wow, i am so disappointed that theres no iphone version. i love ticket to ride.[/QUOTE]

I think the game would be pretty cramped on an iPhone. It's probably doable, but it would require it's own design. There's no telling if they aren't working on just that, but I suppose since Small World is iPad-only that they may not be. I think some games just aren't going to work so well on the small screen. You need to get an iPad! :)

EDIT: and another thing that's been unclear to me. If you are logged in with Days of Wonder account, are you also logged in with Game Center, or do you have to log out of DoW and log in with GC?

[quote name='MSI Magus']How is Roll Through the Ages? I think its one of the only(if not the only)board game I do not own at this point on IOS(seriously I have 3 folders full of board games at this point).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchewy']Ah - so that was you! Yeah, I didn't have time at that moment to play. Definitely another time. What was your username again?

Question about the online - when you invite someone to a game, is that strictly 2 player or can you invite multiple people and/or include random people? I greatly prefer the game with 4 or more players.

EDIT: and another thing that's been unclear to me. If you are logged in with Days of Wonder account, are you also logged in with Game Center, or do you have to log out of DoW and log in with GC?[/QUOTE]

Roll Through the Ages is fun! Even solo, it's pretty good. It has the expansion for cheap, too. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up, unless not having an iPad specific version kills the deal for you.

It's RedSix66, same as my XBL.

I think you can do up to a 4 player private game, but I don't know for sure if you can include random players into that mix.

I have no idea how DoW's system is set up.

bread's done
Back