PS3 Price cut $250:system revision w/pics + hardware info

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I think I figured out the exact date the PS3 price cut will go into effect assuming the exact price cut amount doesn't leak thru promo pics in early May forcing them to react sooner.

New Revision Link: http://www.gamertell.com/technology...ew-copy-protection-along-with-bd-j-for-bd-3d/

Almost BC again
http://n4g.com/news/790176/new-ps3-model-does-not-have-ps2-compatibility-corrected

Details on new model
http://www.ps3news.com/story.php?title=ps3-price-drop-new-hack-proof-playstation-3-console-incoming

New Dissected PS3
http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ps...ed-smaller-fans-lower-power-consumption/3799/

Edit:No prices drops/hardware changes were announced at E3 only the R3 Doomsday bundle(nothing more than Socom FDE)

#1 I'm wrong only a $50 price cut happened
#2 GS employee already had info. on it I think this is the revisioned one
#3 Still not confirmed yet
#4 spot on still happening
#5 A new bundle was confirmed
#6 spot on good sales on individual Move items

1-I think a $100 price cut is coming
2-Won't be surprised to see larger HD sku 500 gig(wishing for 1TB though)
3-current 320 gig move bundles down to $300
4-larger giftcard offers($75-$100) on sku specific PS3's(120 gig & 160 gig) to clear out old stock
5-maybe an official Uncharted 3 bundle or LE PS3
6-Move bundles will remain $100 stat quo for Move/nav controller Sony accessories don't drop in price till the next platform comes out. But there will probably be $25-$30 giftcard offers on the bundles.

Kmart is having a "special" PS3 offer the week of June 5th & E3 is June 7th-9th.
link:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290191&page=169
post 3366 thread is too long to search out the original post

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet maybe the price cut will cover for the amount of money lost when a hacker steals my identity on PSN.

$100? Doubtful. Sony still needs to make money. I see them dropping the current models to $199 with new models coming out this holiday at $249, with some sort of game bundled.

[quote name='SynGamer']$100? Doubtful. Sony still needs to make money. I see them dropping the current models to $199[/QUOTE]

You two just said the same thing. A $100 price cut off of the $300 current price is $199.

[quote name='Scorch']You two just said the same thing. A $100 price cut off of the $300 current price is $199.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the new model will be $249...as stated in my post ;)

With a new CECH-3001 series of the slim passing through the FCC the other day (link) I wouldn't be surprised by a price drop at all.

I've been pretty tempted to sell mine lately; all my home consoles seem to do little besides collect dust this gen. Maybe now would be a good time to hustle up and do it.

[quote name='Nogib']With a new CECH-3001 series of the slim passing through the FCC the other day (link) I wouldn't be surprised by a price drop at all.[/QUOTE]

Hello, what's this? The only speculation about this I could find was IGN fuckery. IIRC, CECH-1xxx was the OG model and SONY went to CECH-2xxx for the slim model. Are we looking at a possible third revision ala the PS2 or simply refinements to internal parts?

[quote name='SynGamer']$100? Doubtful. Sony still needs to make money. I see them dropping the current models to $199 with new models coming out this holiday at $249, with some sort of game bundled.[/QUOTE]

Current prices
1-120 & 160 GB $300 including KZ3 bundles
2-250 & 320 GB $350
3-320 GB move bundle $400

my prediction after price drop
1-$200 the 120 GB may see specific sku giftcard offers or deals b/c their stock is the most limited. The KZ3 bundles will disappear fast once the price drop hits and/or $75/$100 giftcards happen just like the MGS bundles & GOW PSP bundles did.
2-$250 possibly $200 if they offer a larger 400-500 GB
3-$300

They'll probably add 2 more special bundles to replace the KZ3 & GT 5 ones(Red Faction 3/Uncharted 3/Resistance 3). 2-3 retailer exclusive ones near the holidays. If they could get a AAA move "system seller" title that goes beyond the casual gamer this could also be packaged with the Move bundle.

One flaw in your post. There won't be a 1TB HDD for a bit. The 2.5" 1TB HDDs are too thick to fit in a PS2. 750GB is the largest that will fit atm, but it cost $90 for it. I see Sony sticking to the cheapest HDD size at a low price, which is 160GB.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']One flaw in your post. There won't be a 1TB HDD for a bit. The 2.5" 1TB HDDs are too thick to fit in a PS2. 750GB is the largest that will fit atm, but it cost $90 for it. I see Sony sticking to the cheapest HDD size at a low price, which is 160GB.[/QUOTE]

"(wishing for 1TB though)"
don't think we'll ever see these b/c PS4 will be avail. before the increment HD size reaches that level.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']One flaw in your post. There won't be a 1TB HDD for a bit. The 2.5" 1TB HDDs are too thick to fit in a PS2. 750GB is the largest that will fit atm, but it cost $90 for it. I see Sony sticking to the cheapest HDD size at a low price, which is 160GB.[/QUOTE]

Don't leave me hanging here, Mana. If you've got news about CECH-3XXX lemme have it.

PS3 really needs a 199 option like the 360 has had for a while now.

If they could also somehow make some small improvements to the system at the same time that would be even better. (+n wireless, bigger/faster hdds,etc)

So I could see a 100dollar drop by sony for their 160gb version
And 50drop for the others.

But then Im sure ms would thrn drop their 199 360 to 149.
Which is even a better deal.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']PS3 really needs a 199 option like the 360 has had for a while now.

If they could also somehow make some small improvements to the system at the same time that would be even better. (+n wireless, bigger/faster hdds,etc)

So I could see a 100dollar drop by sony for their 160gb version
And 50drop for the others.

But then Im sure ms would thrn drop their 199 360 to 149.
Which is even a better deal.[/QUOTE]

and MS needs a blu-ray drive like the PS3 has had for a while now, but we can't have everything we want can we? Anyway I think Sony will drop each model/bundle by $50, as will MS

[quote name='GTmaster39']If the 360 drops $50 I'll be picking up a 4GB. I need my Ikaruga.[/QUOTE]

You could've gotten $50 off either a PS3 or X360 10+ times this yr...
Just price match a $50 giftcard offer at BB when their not offering a giftcard & they'll deduct the value of the giftcard directly from the $299 or $399.

I need to get a new Ps3 sometime soon when the network comes back up, my current 40gb is out of commission. Is this pure speculation or does it have an ~80% chance of happening?

Every time in the past when ALL retailers alternate weeks in April/May of giving a $50 GC with purchase of the system, then a price drop is coming at or near E3.

[quote name='smiggity']I need to get a new Ps3 sometime soon when the network comes back up, my current 40gb is out of commission. Is this pure speculation or does it have an ~80% chance of happening?[/QUOTE]

It's no longer a "if" it's when is the cut coming. Wii made the 1st move already changing the price dynamic. MS probably wait for Sony to make it's move 1st. PS3 has been outselling X360 overall in 2011 the overall total sales gap is like 3 mil. but at $200 I think this will greatly assist in closing the huge gap in NA but it'll never catch up in NA. Their exclusives are top notch this yr they just need UC3, Infamous, Resistance 3 to sell systems(a bundle would help) Batman AC to have another PS3 exclusive, 1-2 move titles that can sell 1 mil. If there's a NGP feature that can useful incorporate PS3 this would also piggyback sales for both.

Well I guess I can wait until Middle of this month and hope that price protection or whatever can take me up to E3. I imagine the price cut will happen then.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='Enuf']PSN "goodwill" offer early price cut? Maybe mid May to take away Wii's thunder
link:http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8999.html[/QUOTE]

How would this benefit people screwed by PSN/SoE though? Buying a new system wouldn't magically make the hacker lose/forgot our data and I doubt anybody who current owns a PS3 will want another one after this debacle.

I've heard the "goodwill" will be 1 month sub to PSN+ and a month of Quriocity (or whatever that music streaming program is). I'm glad they're getting sued...

[quote name='Vinny']How would this benefit people screwed by PSN/SoE though? Buying a new system wouldn't magically make the hacker lose/forgot our data and I doubt anybody who current owns a PS3 will want another one after this debacle.

I've heard the "goodwill" will be 1 month sub to PSN+ and a month of Quriocity (or whatever that music streaming program is). I'm glad they're getting sued...[/QUOTE]

The price cut could have a domino effect there's an est. 50 million PS3 so say they were to offer;
1 free PSN game per month till yrs end(8) & 3 per month to PS+ members. Everyone would get the one for May no matter what but the ones for the rest of the yr would req. at least 1 game purchase per month & you must register by June. This would spike PS3 sales & PS+ subscribers b/c very few people would turn 8 or 24 free games. Plus this isn't even including PSP customers.

[quote name='slidecage']but WHO will be a ps3 with all of the bad news about people hacking into sony[/QUOTE]

Even with the PSN drama PS3 & PSP were #1 & #2 in HW sales
http://www.vgchartz.com/home.php
at a $200 price with their current game library & 2011-2012 lineup people will still buy plus NGP will bring interest in the Sony brand.
I got an 80 gig phat & tons of PS3 games all I need is a backup slim with huge HD to ride out this generation until PS4. I will buy a Wii once it hits $100 but I'm not paying $50 for games that are 2-3 yrs old. Never cared for the Xbox/X360 at all was immediately turned off by the controller. There's a few titles that interest me but not enough to warrant a system purchase.

Simply put PS3 will recover as did X360 with RROD. Games sell systems UC3 & GOW4 will help. After Sony secures PSN, they need to focus on getting 1-3 AAA move exclusive titles, batman AC with another killer exclusive like they had with joker in AA, a FFVII HD re-release along with several more key HD collections & 1-2 more new IP's that can join resistance, KZ, GOW & UC.

[quote name='Enuf']
1-I think a $100 price cut is coming
2-Won't be surprised to see larger HD sku 500 gig(wishing for 1TB though)
3-current 320 gig move bundles down to $300
4-larger giftcard offers($75-$100) on sku specific PS3's(120 gig & 160 gig) to clear out old stock
5-maybe an official Uncharted 3 bundle or LE PS3
6-Move bundles will remain $100 stat quo for Move/nav controller Sony accessories don't drop in price till the next platform comes out. But there will probably be $25-$30 giftcard offers on the bundles.[/QUOTE]
2-GS employee confirmed the 500 GB PS3 stand alone not a bundle as of yet
4-GS & Target had larger GC offers
5-COD BLOPS 160 bundle
6-Move items & bundles have been on sale plus gc offers too.
Still awaiting the the price cut leaks though

I knew there wasn't going to be one. Why? We are only a little bit half way into the consoles life and there is more life into it. You only discount when you feel that you have price competition or it is winding down to make room for the next console. To assume it was going to drop was wrong.
Check VG chartz and you will see that PS3 is still selling strong. Not #1 but worldwide is selling strong at its current price point.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Guess all these PS3 price drop predictions were wrong huh[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xmbri']I knew there wasn't going to be one. Why? We are only a little bit half way into the consoles life and there is more life into it. You only discount when you feel that you have price competition or it is winding down to make room for the next console. To assume it was going to drop was wrong. Check VG chartz and you will see that PS3 is still selling strong. Not #1 but worldwide is selling strong at its current price point.[/QUOTE]
There's been no announcements-bundles/larger HD's/price cuts. This could be strategic. MS waiting for Sony & vice versa, also they could wait slightly to see the impact of E3 before the "big" news.
One thing was for sure no Move or kinect price cuts they want software to fuel these sales throughout 1 more holiday season.
Per VGchartz http://www.vgchartz.com/article/86541/2011-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-may-21st/
PS3 WW sales down 7.89% 356,167 total units but during the last price cut they were up 44% & they misses the YOY & qtr projections(PSN obviously had an effect in all fairness)
If you look at how the $100 GS & $160 target gc promo created buzz it's clear a $200 price point will send sales skyrocketing up plus this is the best yr for it considering their software lineup.

I hope it's coming soon, I just sold my 60gb and all my games for vacation $. I can go a month or two without a system, but if by November when Uncharted 3 comes out it doesn't drop I'll fold and get another for that game.

Really missing KZ3 online, better than MW2 IMO. Hope it happens soon after I get back from Vaca, like July, but with the system selling so well right now and a portable at $249 coming...I just don't know. Who's gonna buy a Vita when they can get a PS3 for the same or less? I see $500 bundles coming...

I'm glad I grabbed the Target deal ($160gc). I was waiting for a price drop. Still surprised MS or Sony didn't follow Nintendo with cuts. My guess would be holiday season now unless Nintendo sales skyrocket from their cut.
My primary system is the 360 but I waited for a deal for the PS3 to have Bluray and to play Sony exclusives. I'm halfway through Uncharted and I'm really enjoying the game.

[quote name='Enuf']There's been no announcements-bundles/larger HD's/price cuts. This could be strategic. MS waiting for Sony & vice versa, also they could wait slightly to see the impact of E3 before the "big" news.
One thing was for sure no Move or kinect price cuts they want software to fuel these sales throughout 1 more holiday season.
Per VGchartz http://www.vgchartz.com/article/86541/2011-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-may-21st/
PS3 WW sales down 7.89% 356,167 total units but during the last price cut they were up 44% & they misses the YOY & qtr projections(PSN obviously had an effect in all fairness)
If you look at how the $100 GS & $160 target gc promo created buzz it's clear a $200 price point will send sales skyrocketing up plus this is the best yr for it considering their software lineup.[/QUOTE]

In other words you fail to admit you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and acted like a half assed analyst that makes Pachter look like God. I'm sure a price cut will happen this year, but clearly nowhere near your proposed timeframe. I'd expect it closer to the holiday time.

Enjoy continued to post your predictions in various threads though, quite enjoyable

[quote name='padlok']I'm glad I grabbed the Target deal ($160gc). I was waiting for a price drop. Still surprised MS or Sony didn't follow Nintendo with cuts. My guess would be holiday season now unless Nintendo sales skyrocket from their cut.
My primary system is the 360 but I waited for a deal for the PS3 to have Bluray and to play Sony exclusives. I'm halfway through Uncharted and I'm really enjoying the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the holiday price drop-I don't see them doing it this summer, especially since the company probably spent and lost a lot of money from the PSN being hacked, not to mention the PS3 is selling well at $300+ right now. From Sony's standpoint (are they making money at $300?) why drop it now?

And I shouldn't be playing lots of games this summer anyway, I can wait for Uncharted 3, but I do hope it's sooner!

[quote name='padlok']I'm glad I grabbed the Target deal ($160gc). I was waiting for a price drop. Still surprised MS or Sony didn't follow Nintendo with cuts. My guess would be holiday season now unless Nintendo sales skyrocket from their cut.
My primary system is the 360 but I waited for a deal for the PS3 to have Bluray and to play Sony exclusives. I'm halfway through Uncharted and I'm really enjoying the game.[/QUOTE]

Wii just outsold them WW by close to 100,000 systems I think this is the 1st time Wii has lead all consoles since after the holiday boost.

500GB would be the next drive size up from the 320GB, and price-wise, a 320GB vs 500GB 2.5" HDD isn't much more than $10-$15.

I'm more curious if there's any system board, drive revisions or other such changes besides a possible drive size upgrade. I remember there being a change in system board design between the 120GB / 250GB PS3 Slim systems and the 160GB / 320GB PS3 Slim systems, though I'm curious to know what's left to change unless they're doing another die size shrink.

Andriasang says a new PS3 configuration is coming, but don't get your hopes too far up. The changes concern its power draw, weight, and the removal of LED lights. The hard drive for the CECH-3000B model still is 320GB, according to a retail source Andriasang quoted. The console cuts power consumption to 200W from 230W and drops in weight to 2.6 kg (5.7 lbs) from 3 kg (6.6 lbs). Pricing remains the same for the 320GB model and will make its way to shelves once the current stock runs out.

http://kotaku.com/5813429/ps3s-new-flavor-is-lighter-less-power+thirsty

[quote name='SynGamer']What's the current nm size of the Cell/RSX? Have we hat 32nm yet? If so, isn't 22nm the next step?[/QUOTE]

Currently the CELL is at 42nm and the RSX is 40nm is the 2501 PS3. I believe that the new system will have a 32nm CELL...

bread's done
Back