- - - - -

CAGcast #238: Compromised

#31 Kuromimi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Awesome show guys. Keep up the good work.

#32 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Don't be so quick to dismiss anti-malware for iPad. Anytime something gets popular enough, hackers will hack. My sister had gotten a Mac for the myth that Macs don't get malware. Last month her internet had gotten riduculously slow. The lights of the cable modem showed a lot of traffic. Her husband noticed the Mac acted busy. I found out Sophos was the best of the Mac anti-malware (and free) so we ran it and found 14 trojans on her Macbook. We suspect her system had been part of a botnet. Maybe the same that took down Sony? Who knows.

#33 repete   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

dude wheres the clip show

#34 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11134 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

I definitely think these is something finicky about the built-in PS3 Wifi. I have a PS3 fat and a PS3 thin. Each are about the same distance from the router, but one is on the floor above and the other is on the same level. The slim has pretty much a straight signal shot through only one wall, but the fat has to go through the floor and a couple of walls. The slim seems to download updates much more rapidly than the fat, though I don't know if that is because the slim has a better quality adapter or some other factor(s).

For those who have slow downloads and those who have fast downloads.
Do you have a PS3 fat or slim?
How far away and how many walls / floors does the wifi from your PS3 have to pierce to reach the router?

#35 raistlin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

raistlin

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Cheapy that BBC radio segment was really short, how long did it take you to get there? I really can't blame you now for wanting to turn them down. If I had the choice of sitting at home playing video games or getting dressed up and going to a studio I'd wanna stay home too. Or like you said, I'd just want to record it remotely. Next time ask them for better compensation for your trouble. 8-)

#36 eataburger   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   262 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

eataburger

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Cheapy, I thought you did an excellent job on the BBC segment! I thought you handled the "Japanese trait" baiting really well.

I would have been tempted to say something like "Yes, delaying information IS a Japanese trait like the Brits have bad teeth and eating fish out of a newspaper".

Anyways. You sounded really professional and informative.

#37 demonhellcat   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   62 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

demonhellcat

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Good episode!

It's funny you guys talked about how bad Best Buy is. Living in Canada, I don't get to the US very often, but the other week I went to a US Best Buy for the first time in years and my impression matched yours.

I always assumed that the US ones would be better than in Canada, but they had almost nothing video-game wise in the store, and the prices were terrible.

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.

After the Rock Band 3 price drop a month ago or so I went to Best Buy to pick it up. They didn't have a copy... ok, no problem, I'll order it through Best Buy.com and get it shipped to store... a week later... "your order was placed on back order and we won't be receiving new stock so your order has been canceled".... really!!

I ordered it from amazon the next day. I used to like Best Buy but I agree, there software selection is getting pretty crappy and when they do have a game I want Amazon is cheaper 99.99% of the time.

#38 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67505 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

If Wombat paid more attention to the NFL as a whole, he'd have been more familiar with Peyton Hillis and his pythons before the Madden cover announcement.

The local Best Buy here isn't nearly as bad as the one that Shipwreck described. I just rarely go there because it's way out of the way compared to Target, GameStop, Kmart, and any other place I'd go for games. Maybe it's because I'm in the good part of the state.

Telltale's doing retail games for the Xbox 360 since MS can't satisfy their desire for episodic releases. They got completely screwed over with the Wallace & Gromit season, which ended with the last three episodes being delayed for months and released all at once on the same day.

Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox officially exist in Mortal Kombat lore now? Surprising.

Decent show.

#39 my2k2zx2   Molly, Rockin the Doggles CAGiversary!   1237 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

I got faster downloads and response with my PS3 connected to a WRT54G repeater with a cable than a direct wireless connection to the WRT160N main unit.

#40 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

I know Cheapy said he was off next week but I would enjoy a podcast with just Shipwreck and Wombat over no show at all.

Who agrees?

#41 HOVA uk   Residential Fart Man CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

24:19.. it stops there also on itunes and on the media player on the site.

wheres the rest..

#42 Loonknight   Dirk The Daring CAGiversary!   783 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Loonknight

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

I know Cheapy said he was off next week but I would enjoy a podcast with just Shipwreck and Wombat over no show at all.

Who agrees?

Either that or some type of clip show would be nice.

As for this show, I think it was decent. I still am having problems understanding why your download speeds on your PS3s are so horrid. I've never had to do anything to mine nor have had to do anything to those that I have setup for my friends and family members at different locations. So perhaps it is just karma? lol not sure honestly.

#43 louiedog   20 minutes into the future CAGiversary!   5646 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

Cheapy, why don't you have the TV/radio people say you're from cheapgamer.com on the air? You own the domain and googling for "cheap gamer" yields cheapassgamer.com as the first result.

#44 LiK   Internet Superstar CAGiversary!   2303 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:46 AM

Who agrees?

i'm fine with a Shippy and Wombat only show.

#45 Liveforlaughs76   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   303 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Liveforlaughs76

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:26 AM

I would also be in favor of this. CAGPlay Forecast #4!

Edit: Or perhaps, CAGPlay 4orecast

#46 MattJ1991   Cheap Ass Matthew CAGiversary!   344 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

MattJ1991

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Good episode!

It's funny you guys talked about how bad Best Buy is. Living in Canada, I don't get to the US very often, but the other week I went to a US Best Buy for the first time in years and my impression matched yours.

I always assumed that the US ones would be better than in Canada, but they had almost nothing video-game wise in the store, and the prices were terrible.

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.

I can vouch for this, Best Buy is a pretty good store in Canada.

#47 Bainmarny   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Bainmarny

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

I just got finished with The Last Testiment of George Harrison, and I agree with Wombat, the audio is too clean for a little audio tape (no scratchyness or ambient hospital background noise), and the voice acting was practically wooden with no emotion at all (I think he was worried about dropping accent if he showed sadness).

That said, it was interesting finally seeing all of the evidence that people used to talk about, like the backwards singing and symbolism in the album cover art (I'd only ever heard the abbey road cover explained).

All in all i'd give it a 6.5/10. Not bad and kind of interesting.

Also Viva La Cagplay Forecast!!

#48 testudo   CAGERY! CAGiversary!   130 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Yes hear hear for a ShippyD and Wombat show! :applause:

#49 coiled string   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   5 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

coiled string

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

Take it you guys know that all your feeds for the podcast this week are only 24mins long. Thats RSS,Itunes and off the site.. only 14Mb instead of the 44 it is supposed to be

#50 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7576 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

Take it you guys know that all your feeds for the podcast this week are only 24mins long. Thats RSS,Itunes and off the site.. only 14Mb instead of the 44 it is supposed to be

Try redownloading. It's an issue with the hosting site. Just depends on what server it grabs the file from.

#51 cheesycrouton   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   24 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

cheesycrouton

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Here's short, bizarre documentary that you must watch on Netflix instant streaming: The Parking Lot Movie. Only ~70mins.

#52 davidb69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

davidb69

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Loved the humor of a Best Buy guy selling virus software on the Ipad2, wow. Also, there is nothing wrong with the big tits from Mortal Kombat. I think Dead or Alive is most guilty of this and I don't find MK as bad. I thought you'd be much harder on the PSN network issues. The xbox failure was much more in my opinion then an overload of customers, that is BS in my opinion to put a positive spin, saying they have so many customers.

#53 PiP   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Help us out in uk please can we have a fresh working link to full version, all versions out there are the 24 min version arghhhhhhh :applause:

#54 olster1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   18 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Please re-upload. Can't get full file here in the UK! Thanks guys! 8-)

#55 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2357 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

Try redownloading. It's an issue with the hosting site. Just depends on what server it grabs the file from.

That

#56 olster1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   18 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

Okay for people in the Uk who can't download the full thing. Use hotspot shield (google it) Works like a charm! Quick and Easy. Also it means you can watch Hulu in the UK. Useful for cheapyD trying to watch American TV in Japan?

#57 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1054 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

I can vouch for this, Best Buy is a pretty good store in Canada.

It's pretty good in Delaware, too. Every one I've ever been into has a huge videogame section, and I've bought stuff like freezers and DVD players there, too.

I get most of my games from Amazon now, but my wife and I went to my local BB last night to pick up Toy Story 3 for the 360 since the $29.99 price was only $2 more than Amazon and it was enough to qualify her for another $10 Reward Zone certificate thru their Gamers Club. I bought Vanquish at Best Buy for the same reason back in February.

#58 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1598 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

Best Buy blows. They changed their name internally to Worst Buy and made bets amongst themselves (in the form of bonuses) on how long they could ride it out before their customers discovered this for themselves.

In a sign of the times, My bro-in-law sent me an Amazon gift card for half-xmas this year instead of a Best Buy gift card. That ended their streak of 10 years or so of Best Buy gift cards. The last few which I spent trying to turn the BB gift card into an Amazon card.

I guess the lesson learned is if you try hard enough then wishes do come true.

#59 Kyrox   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

No elephant genocide jokes?

#60 skadave   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   207 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

I think i have said this before but it warrants repeating:

The main reason the 3DS is not selling, in my humble opinion, is the extremely high price tag. Despite having a decent sized adult fanbase, it is essentially a kid's gaming machine (disagree? most kids under the age of 10 have some sort of nintendo handheld. . . most adults do not). I just don't see too many parents wanting to shell out $250 for a hand held gaming devise for their 7 year old.