CAGcast #238: Compromised

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]PSN security breach, more love for Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat, and much more await you in this week's show. Submit questions or topics for next week's show via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]147[/podcast]
Download - 80 minutes, 48MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro - What's Happening Theme

coming soon

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Rodney Dangerfield - Caddyshack

Last edited by a moderator:
All podcasts should open with Henry Mancini music. Make it so.

Shipwreck, would I like the new Motorstorm if I didn't care much for Split/Second? In that game you also had to play the track before you really had much idea where the explosions would happen, or else you'd waste an attack because your opponents were on the wrong side of the street. I suppose that's why the made you play the same tracks so many times. Is there more level variety in Motorstorm? And do you still do laps or just straight shots through collapsing cities?

Oh, and "Abutment" ... wow, that's really an engineer's word. You don't hear that word used correctly much in the Wal-Mart crowd.

I was quite impressed with Cheapy's news radio appearance. I was waiting for one of his replies to be "How the Hell would I know?" But he really came off sounding quite knowledgeable. More so than he usually is on the CAGcast. When I worked in radio, we'd always get sent the guys with "radio voices" that had no knowledge outside of what was written on their press release, and if asked a different question would just blatantly ignore it and instead throw out some PR gibberish. Cheapy was much more subtle about it. Was he prepped on those specific questions?

[quote name='meager']Shipwreck, would I like the new Motorstorm if I didn't care much for Split/Second? In that game you also had to play the track before you really had much idea where the explosions would happen, or else you'd waste an attack because your opponents were on the wrong side of the street. I suppose that's why the made you play the same tracks so many times. Is there more level variety in Motorstorm? And do you still do laps or just straight shots through collapsing cities?[/QUOTE]

You generally still do laps around the courses and on the last lap something big usually falls down and changes the course. You know, like in just about every game of this type. From time to time, you have to race from point A to point B in a set amount of time. As for the level variety, I need to play more to get a feel for how often you return to the same tracks. So far, you go back to them a couple times, but they are slightly different and they try to add variety by sticking you in a different vehicle type. Maybe my opinion will change, but so far I've found the game nothing but underwhelming.

Hey Cheapy, the Itunes version is only 23mins. It cuts off. Might want to re-upload it.

Also, thanks for making a show guys. You all get a beer from me if you come to Scotland.

Update 2: It seems the version here on the site is messed up too.

Big Lots, has Mafia II and Just Cause 2 (360) for $20.88 retail indefinately. How do I post price submissions to the site?

I'm out.

[quote name='shipwreck']First.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, please do this for every CAGcast thread.

Cheapy, Telltale is working on Law & Order: Los Angeles. That was what you were trying to remember.

[quote name='collipop']Just as it gets to the ps3 hacking discussion the show cuts off! I think you need to reupload.[/QUOTE]

It worked fine for me, try deleting your file and re-downloading. May be a Libsyn issue.

Wombat, I am totally with you about the push mower. I have a smallish lawn and using that type of mower is easy and quick.

No fucking around with gas and oil, no collecting the cut grass, virtually no noise (when you are concerned about waking up a baby this can be a bid deal), plus a little exercise.

additionally gas mowers are terrible for the environment- One gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cars driving 55 mph for the same amount of time

I still don't understand why you guys have so much trouble downloading stuff on PSN. I've got a run-of-the-mill DSL connection, and it never takes half an hour to download firmware or title updates. They go pretty quick.

[quote name='liquidcross']I still don't understand why you guys have so much trouble downloading stuff on PSN. I've got a run-of-the-mill DSL connection, and it never takes half an hour to download firmware or title updates. They go pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

A Half an Hour is too long, it should take 1-5 minutes.

Edit: Oh I read that wrong, then why does it take me so long?

[quote name='liquidcross']I still don't understand why you guys have so much trouble downloading stuff on PSN. I've got a run-of-the-mill DSL connection, and it never takes half an hour to download firmware or title updates. They go pretty quick.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've never had it take more than 5 to complete a firmware update, and downloads have always been extremely fast.

But, I guess if you couldn't care less about the PS3, you're not going to put forth much effort to properly configure your connection settings, and just blame your poor download speeds on 'PSN sucking.'

Ahh well.

Come over and configure my PS3 for me. Is there a setting that I can click to have it download as fast as my Wii, 360, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Apple TV, or any other Wifi device in my house? There's obviously a disconnect somewhere as the PS3 is the only device in my house that is noticeably slower than everything else.

[quote name='shipwreck']Come over and configure my PS3 for me. Is there a setting that I can click to have it download as fast as my Wii, 360, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Apple TV, or any other Wifi device in my house? There's obviously a disconnect somewhere as the PS3 is the only device in my house that is noticeably slower than everything else.[/QUOTE]
Your sarcasm aside, that definitely sounds like a configuration error. Did you go through it manually, or just use the auto/default settings?

I agree there is probably something wrong with how the PS3 works on wifi. I have tried my PS3 both wired and wifi (currently wired) and it seems to be much faster when it is wired. I think it is a pretty wide spread issue since it is pretty easy to people mentioning it on the internet.

[quote name='liquidcross']Your sarcasm aside, that definitely sounds like a configuration error. Did you go through it manually, or just use the auto/default settings?[/QUOTE]

He's saying that you shouldn't have to go through so much work and tinker with all your settings just to get regular download speeds. I connect my Xbox and laptops to the internet automatically and they work just fine. PSN is way too slow and most don't have the time to tinker with settings.

[quote name='shipwreck']Come over and configure my PS3 for me. Is there a setting that I can click to have it download as fast as my Wii, 360, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Apple TV, or any other Wifi device in my house? There's obviously a disconnect somewhere as the PS3 is the only device in my house that is noticeably slower than everything else.[/QUOTE]

You hurt its feelings and now it's trying to get back at you. :)

Joking aside, downloads on my PS3 and 360 have always been the same speed, both connecting to my Wireless G FIOS router.

Great C-A-G cast. Thank you for the answer my compensation PSN question. I am going with Free Transvestite (my last choice) as the best PR bounce back.

Good episode!

It's funny you guys talked about how bad Best Buy is. Living in Canada, I don't get to the US very often, but the other week I went to a US Best Buy for the first time in years and my impression matched yours.

I always assumed that the US ones would be better than in Canada, but they had almost nothing video-game wise in the store, and the prices were terrible.

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.

Wombat, I can't believe you bought a push mower.

Did you look at any electric mowers?

Shipwreck, don't people die from skin cancer? Nice to hear that you're not bothered too much by this.

Great Podcast as usual guys. I'm surprised to see no one saying something dumb like "Well of course Cheapy plugs the 360 in a Playstation interview". Usually the feedback from your podcast (at least the ones you select to read) has narrow minded thinking like that.

Anyway my question for you guys would be how long do you think this whole indent will be forgotten and people start praising the PS3 again? The internet is a fickled bunch where they can say F Sony one day and then say it's the BEST COMPANY EVAARRR the next.

What's the over/under on Wombat dumping the non-motorized lawn mower by next summer? Sht doesn't matter. Put me down for a 20 spot. .

Disappointed there was no Wii2 hate. I hope you are saving it for next week. Or was that the week before? MIssed the last show.

edit: Oh just hearing it now. There it is. Hate on last week's show. Love it. Oh yes lots of good hate. ;)

I think Nintendo doesn't care much about 3rd parties in terms of getting the multi-platform stuff. They want 3rd parties to take their new tech and do something creative with it. They don't want to become basically a commodity box that plays the same games as all the others.

Anyway Nintendo's direction with Wii2 is the same as with the Wii. Do something different. Creative. Disruptive. Not just focused on graphics. The touchscreen controllers and possibilities for private vs public screen gameplay and reducing screen clutter like the DS can do and providing software programmable buttons and these rumored OnLive like streaming possibilities to the controller etc scream the same sort of path the Wii took. Using the screen for drawing in games? Right up Nintendo's alley.

The only shocking thing at least to me is the wiimote/nunchuk appear to have had a short life. I thought they would have built on it and improved it. But at the same time not shocked they'd try to do something that provides alot of new gameplay possibilities for their franchises. Let's not forget that the PS3 in Japan with Move sort of boxes them in a corner in terms of improving the wiimote. Sony improved it quite a bit and where is Nintendo going to go there? In America MS comes out with Kinect and you don't need a controller. Both now routinely outsell the Wii in those markets.

So in a way makes sense they are going to branch out again into a new direction. Competition has entered the "motion control" market. Nintendo was first in. Grabbed the lion's share of the profits. Now onto the next new market. Left behind are Sony and MS to eat the crumbs. Cheapie says Nintendo doesn't want to compete with those guys directly. Well guess what? Both have powerful consoles and now with motion control. So exit stage left.

There's lots of cool sht on the 3ds. Not the games, but the stuff built-in. AT least for my 10 year old. He put a bunch of music on there. Records voices and manipulates them with my other kid. Takes pictures. 3d ones too. There is FAce Raiders. The STreet Pass stuff. We went to Ikea a few weekends ago and he surprisingly met 3 new Miis. There is the pedometer coin stuff. There's the built-in AR stuff as well.

I'm actually kind of amazed at all that is packed in there. But we never upgraded my kid to the Dsi either. When the update hits and the store and Netflix and browser hit etc. It's going to be a nice little machine at least for its target market. As an adult I'm not going to get one to carry around or anything. But for my kids? They love the thing. I'd only get another to play against them in the house.

Don't be so quick to dismiss anti-malware for iPad. Anytime something gets popular enough, hackers will hack. My sister had gotten a Mac for the myth that Macs don't get malware. Last month her internet had gotten riduculously slow. The lights of the cable modem showed a lot of traffic. Her husband noticed the Mac acted busy. I found out Sophos was the best of the Mac anti-malware (and free) so we ran it and found 14 trojans on her Macbook. We suspect her system had been part of a botnet. Maybe the same that took down Sony? Who knows.

I definitely think these is something finicky about the built-in PS3 Wifi. I have a PS3 fat and a PS3 thin. Each are about the same distance from the router, but one is on the floor above and the other is on the same level. The slim has pretty much a straight signal shot through only one wall, but the fat has to go through the floor and a couple of walls. The slim seems to download updates much more rapidly than the fat, though I don't know if that is because the slim has a better quality adapter or some other factor(s).

For those who have slow downloads and those who have fast downloads.
Do you have a PS3 fat or slim?
How far away and how many walls / floors does the wifi from your PS3 have to pierce to reach the router?

Cheapy that BBC radio segment was really short, how long did it take you to get there? I really can't blame you now for wanting to turn them down. If I had the choice of sitting at home playing video games or getting dressed up and going to a studio I'd wanna stay home too. Or like you said, I'd just want to record it remotely. Next time ask them for better compensation for your trouble. :cool:

Cheapy, I thought you did an excellent job on the BBC segment! I thought you handled the "Japanese trait" baiting really well.

I would have been tempted to say something like "Yes, delaying information IS a Japanese trait like the Brits have bad teeth and eating fish out of a newspaper".

Anyways. You sounded really professional and informative.

[quote name='eataburger']Good episode!

It's funny you guys talked about how bad Best Buy is. Living in Canada, I don't get to the US very often, but the other week I went to a US Best Buy for the first time in years and my impression matched yours.

I always assumed that the US ones would be better than in Canada, but they had almost nothing video-game wise in the store, and the prices were terrible.

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.[/QUOTE]

After the Rock Band 3 price drop a month ago or so I went to Best Buy to pick it up. They didn't have a copy... ok, no problem, I'll order it through Best Buy.com and get it shipped to store... a week later... "your order was placed on back order and we won't be receiving new stock so your order has been canceled".... really!!

I ordered it from amazon the next day. I used to like Best Buy but I agree, there software selection is getting pretty crappy and when they do have a game I want Amazon is cheaper 99.99% of the time.

If Wombat paid more attention to the NFL as a whole, he'd have been more familiar with Peyton Hillis and his pythons before the Madden cover announcement.

The local Best Buy here isn't nearly as bad as the one that Shipwreck described. I just rarely go there because it's way out of the way compared to Target, GameStop, Kmart, and any other place I'd go for games. Maybe it's because I'm in the good part of the state.

Telltale's doing retail games for the Xbox 360 since MS can't satisfy their desire for episodic releases. They got completely screwed over with the Wallace & Gromit season, which ended with the last three episodes being delayed for months and released all at once on the same day.

Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox officially exist in Mortal Kombat lore now? Surprising.

Decent show.

I got faster downloads and response with my PS3 connected to a WRT54G repeater with a cable than a direct wireless connection to the WRT160N main unit.

I know Cheapy said he was off next week but I would enjoy a podcast with just Shipwreck and Wombat over no show at all.

Who agrees?

[quote name='banodyne']I know Cheapy said he was off next week but I would enjoy a podcast with just Shipwreck and Wombat over no show at all.

Who agrees?[/QUOTE]

Either that or some type of clip show would be nice.

As for this show, I think it was decent. I still am having problems understanding why your download speeds on your PS3s are so horrid. I've never had to do anything to mine nor have had to do anything to those that I have setup for my friends and family members at different locations. So perhaps it is just karma? lol not sure honestly.

Cheapy, why don't you have the TV/radio people say you're from cheapgamer.com on the air? You own the domain and googling for "cheap gamer" yields cheapassgamer.com as the first result.

[quote name='banodyne']I know Cheapy said he was off next week but I would enjoy a podcast with just Shipwreck and Wombat over no show at all.

Who agrees?[/QUOTE]

i'm fine with a Shippy and Wombat only show.

[quote name='LiK']i'm fine with a Shippy and Wombat only show.[/QUOTE]
I would also be in favor of this. CAGPlay Forecast #4!

Edit: Or perhaps, CAGPlay 4orecast

[quote name='eataburger']Good episode!

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for this, Best Buy is a pretty good store in Canada.

I just got finished with The Last Testiment of George Harrison, and I agree with Wombat, the audio is too clean for a little audio tape (no scratchyness or ambient hospital background noise), and the voice acting was practically wooden with no emotion at all (I think he was worried about dropping accent if he showed sadness).

That said, it was interesting finally seeing all of the evidence that people used to talk about, like the backwards singing and symbolism in the album cover art (I'd only ever heard the abbey road cover explained).

All in all i'd give it a 6.5/10. Not bad and kind of interesting.

Also Viva La Cagplay Forecast!!

[quote name='LiK']i'm fine with a Shippy and Wombat only show.[/QUOTE]

Yes hear hear for a ShippyD and Wombat show! :applause:

Take it you guys know that all your feeds for the podcast this week are only 24mins long. Thats RSS,Itunes and off the site.. only 14Mb instead of the 44 it is supposed to be

[quote name='coiled string']Take it you guys know that all your feeds for the podcast this week are only 24mins long. Thats RSS,Itunes and off the site.. only 14Mb instead of the 44 it is supposed to be[/QUOTE]

Try redownloading. It's an issue with the hosting site. Just depends on what server it grabs the file from.

bread's done
Back