Portal 2 (PC) $30 at Gamestop starting this weekend (4/30)

gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
This article I'm posting also covers the sale at Kmart for the consoles, but I post this thread about the PC version at Gamestop for $30.

I know this is kind of a complicated post, but the important part to take away is highlighted in yellow. :)

Portal 2: $30 for PC at Gamestop, $35 for Consoles at Kmart

From the link:
Gamers who have yet to purchase a copy of Valve Software's just-released Portal 2 may want to hold off just a little bit longer... at least, until this weekend. Both Kmart and GameStop are knocking off up to $25 from the original retail price for the console versions, and around $20 for the PC version.

According to the Kmart Gamer Facebook page, the discount retail chain will offer Portal 2 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for a mere $34.99 on Sunday, May 1-- typically the console versions sell for $59.99. The new sale price will apparently be advertised in the Kmart circular found in Sunday's newspaper, but there's no indication of when the sale will actually end.

Joystiq also reports that GameStop will kick off its Portal 2 sale on Saturday, April 30. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will charge $5 extra than Kmart's pricepoint the following day, costing $39.99. The store is also selling the PC version for $29.99-- it regularly retails for $49.99 off the shelf.

Consumers who game on both the PC and PlayStation 3 may get the best deal by heading to Kmart and purchasing the PlayStation 3 version. This particular copy will provide an additional code for unlocking Portal 2 for the PC on Steam-- essentially two versions of Valve's instant classic for a mere $34.99. Not too shabby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im soooo glad I waited. I think ill hold off a little longer and get it for 19.99. Paying full price for Portal 1 burned me.

I don't know if Ill get PS3 or save 10 and get PC...

ALSO: mslowe's avatar and microshocks sig are all jamming to the Uncharted 3 multiplayer gameplay trailer I have playing in the other tab.

[quote name='mslowe7187']repost[/QUOTE]

It's not. Please don't report this thread. That other thread makes no definitive mention of the PC version like this one does, and more importantly the PC price is not in the subject line.

It's a post about a portal 2 sale at gamestop this coming week, pretty much a repost. I'm not gonna report it cuz I don't care enough to bother

This was all Sony's doing. Sabotage their internet when Portal 2 comes out skewing pricing on Portal 3 from all the trade ins and getting revenge for Orange Box!

[quote name='MysterD']Why the price-drop so fast...?[/QUOTE]

You can finish the whole game in a few days, and there isnt much replay value

[quote name='62t']You can finish the whole game in a few days, and there isnt much replay value[/QUOTE]

Probably the P2 DLC plans for possibly Summer probably helps the price-drop, too...

[quote name='mslowe7187']It's a post about a portal 2 sale at gamestop this coming week, pretty much a repost. I'm not gonna report it cuz I don't care enough to bother[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot. If the other thread doesn't mention the PC version, then it isn't a repost.

[quote name='dabamus']You're an idiot. If the other thread doesn't mention the PC version, then it isn't a repost.[/QUOTE]

screw you and your pedantic ass, this post should be merged with the other gamestop portal 2 post and you know it. Oh and BTW:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']$30 for a PC copy. Not bad.

Now if only Steam would match this sale.

Hopefully by Monday the PSN is back up so I can get Portal 2 for a friend on monday and we can co-op.[/QUOTE]

from pg 5 of the first portal 2 gamestop sale thread

[quote name='V878']Is this deal only good for Saturday or will it last through the following week as well?[/QUOTE]

it goes for a week, until 5/6 I believe

[quote name='ViolentLee']Might want to get the name of the game right in the post's title: Portal *2*.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha - thank you! Portal 1 for $30 isn't much of a value.

Fixed.

[quote name='Hudson187']I hope its going to be online as well -- my B&M Gamestop(s) and Kmart don't sell PC games...[/QUOTE]

I know, right? It's disgraceful.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Yeah, you guys keep waiting for that cheap price, because we know L4D dropped like a rock. Wait.[/QUOTE]

And L4D2. I remember getting it for $30 the Spring after it released, thinking I'd gotten a deal. By that Halloween, I was regretting it because it'd hit $10-20, with 20 being a regular price.

Definitely wait.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Yeah, you guys keep waiting for that cheap price, because we know L4D dropped like a rock. Wait.[/QUOTE]
It was $9.99 on Black Friday, not even a month after release. Then $20 during a Valentine's Day sale IIRC. Try again?

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I don't know if Ill get PS3 or save 10 and get PC...
[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since the PS3 comes with a Steam copy, can't you buy the PS3 version, get the Steam copy, then trade the PS3 disc in to the retailer of your choosing?

[quote name='BingoBrown']Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since the PS3 comes with a Steam copy, can't you buy the PS3 version, get the Steam copy, then trade the PS3 disc in to the retailer of your choosing?[/QUOTE]

Yep - I bought it for $35 after the $20 certificate from Amazon, and then flipped it back to them for $28. $7 net, for a new and quite excellent game isn't too bad.

[quote name='pico1']K I went to gamestop.com and it's still priced at $59.99. Is this an in-store deal only?[/QUOTE]

Read title fail?

[quote name='pico1']K I went to gamestop.com and it's still priced at $59.99. Is this an in-store deal only?[/QUOTE]

Reading comprehension?

[quote name='Jodou']It was $9.99 on Black Friday, not even a month after release. Then $20 during a Valentine's Day sale IIRC. Try again?[/QUOTE]

Heh - your memory is a bit rosy. The first real sale for L4D (other than the pre-order deals) was the 50% off Valentine's sale (evidence).

Steam didn't have a Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale in 2008; their first massive store-wide sale was the 2008 Holiday sale (end of December), and L4D had a paltry discount, like 10%.

However, after the Valentine's Day sale in Feb 2009, L4D fell to 40% off retail, practically everywhere except Steam.

L4D2, I was able to get at Gamestop 3 weeks after release for $30.

Still, you are 100% correct to anticipate fast price drops on Portal 2! Now that the people who pre-ordered and finished the game in a day are are getting a little perspective, the biggest complaint is "too short", followed by "no replay value". Console gamers are used to paying $60 for 15 hours of game, but PC gamers seem to feel like they were ripped off by a great marketing campaign.

Valve drops prices fast on all their games. Unlike Blizzard, where Diablo 2 Warchest sold for $40 for 10 years. :roll:

Anyway, I confirmed this price today. $30 for PC, both online (gamestop.com) and in-store. They allowed me to exchange the unopened $50 copy I received last week as a gift, got $20 back plus tax in exchange for my address and signature. Nice.

If there is DLC coming for Portal 2 (as rumored), then I think the price will move down even faster. Woo woo!

[quote name='BingoBrown']Correct me if I'm wrong here, but since the PS3 comes with a Steam copy, can't you buy the PS3 version, get the Steam copy, then trade the PS3 disc in to the retailer of your choosing?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blitztwn36']Yep - I bought it for $35 after the $20 certificate from Amazon, and then flipped it back to them for $28. $7 net, for a new and quite excellent game isn't too bad.[/QUOTE]
No, you can't. You need to tie your PSN account to your Steam account first. Without PSN, Steam will NOT accept the code you got from the PS3 version. It was the absolute first thing most people tried and thought they could get away with. With PSN down, you cannot get your free copy of the PC version.

[quote name='Tsukento']No, you can't. You need to tie your PSN account to your Steam account first. Without PSN, Steam will NOT accept the code you got from the PS3 version. It was the absolute first thing most people tried and thought they could get away with. With PSN down, you cannot get your free copy of the PC version.[/QUOTE]

If i understand the process correctly, the original plan to buy a ps3 copy, redeem the pc steam version, and then trade/sell the ps3 disc will still work, except you'll need to delay trading/selling the ps3 disk until after PSN comes back online (you need the disk to activate the steam copy).

this game was totally worth it for full retail, for 20-25 bucks off is a total steal. Enjoy one of the most unique and hillarious experiences of the year. Then play co-op with me!

Also, is it just me, or do valve games always start out cheap at retail? I remember getting Left 4 dead on PC at launch for like 25 bucks. Not that I;m complaining. If anything, they are proving that more people will buy more games when they are cheaper, which is something I have always believed.

[quote name='udabenshen']Also, is it just me, or do valve games always start out cheap at retail? I remember getting Left 4 dead on PC at launch for like 25 bucks. Not that I;m complaining. If anything, they are proving that more people will buy more games when they are cheaper, which is something I have always believed.[/QUOTE]

At launch (and still) you could get 4-packs for 25% off, and the 10% pre-order bonus, so it was (I think!) $33.75 if you preordered a 4-pack. Which is where CAG comes in handy!

bread's done
Back