- - - - -

The TV Show about the Parks and Recreation Dept. in Pawnee, IN

#31 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Well, Aziz may just want out. You're probably right, though, this could just be a fun way to give Tom a little more intrigue. Also, Jean-Ralphio will never be a bum so long as he's got the Lady Foot Locker gig to fall back on.

FYI, I call dibs on "Jean-Ruffio" as a puppy name. I don't even like pets, but farg it, I want a dog named Jean-Ruffio so it can give me access to the illest clubs.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 CouRageouS   Rootbeer=Superwater CAGiversary!   6849 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

Sucks that they had a short season, but having 2 episodes the last couple weeks was awesome. Good news is that Outsourced was canned so hopefully next season is a full one.

#33 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   18656 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

P&R is scheduled for the fall, not mid-season, so good news.

Now playing (& watching):

:br:-Breaking Bad season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#34 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14826 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

FYI both episodes from last night are on Hulu. The first episode has a real ending to it which has....

Spoiler

The second episode gets an Producers Cut which adds five extra minutes. Nothing real major is added but the added stuff does help the episode not feel as rushed due to better pacing.

New sig coming soon.

#35 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the tips on the Producers' Cut episodes at Hulu. I just watched the producers' cut of "The Party" (aka SNORKJUICE). I can't believe they cut out Jerry's drunkface in the club, that was classic.

That episode is probably my favorite of the season. I especially liked the "no offense" argument between Ann and Knope. They got the tone of that just right.

Ron & Tammy Pt 2 was also a favorite, just because I was surprised that they'd revisit Tammy 2 so soon and even more surprised that they actually pulled it off. The dating website episode is probably up there, too.

I guess those 3 would be my top three. For this season, they were the episodes that felt complete to me, the A and B (and C, if there was one) stories all worked.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7157 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

There's no way Aziz is leaving

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#37 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14826 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

By the way here's a list of all episodes with producers cuts:
Season 1: Rock Show
Season 2: The Setup, The Master Plan, Freddy Spaghetti
Season 3: Harvest Festival, Jerry's Painting, The Fight, Li'l Sebastian

All of which are available on Hulu Plus along with Netflix.

New sig coming soon.

#38 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

Season 4 begins in about 45 min!

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#39 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

Those assholes fired Stinkmaster69! He's only guilty of having mumps on his lumps! I enjoyed the dong showing B story (it only makes sense when folks are watching ladies golf and drinking wine), but if losing Joe is the cost of that story, it wasn't worth it. I'm gonna miss Joe.

CHECK OUT THE HOG ON JERRY.

The response, "I don't know what you mean, but it had the cadence of a joke," should be immediately adopted for personal use.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Everybody pants now
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

I didn't comment about last week's. Or about this week's. Yet.

But both were awesome. The opener was a little lukewarm (although it was better on a second viewing), but these two were hilarious.

But cut your hair, Rob.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#42 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   18656 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:25 AM

Diabetes!

35bb9lx.gif

#43 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

So they're trying even harder to warp Ben so that he's skewed like the rest of 'em, and to me the "nerd" angle is as forced as the "wunderkid mayor" angle. It's a response to the fact that Ben doesn't quite fit the ensemble, but I think they're missing the point. The main reason Ben doesn't fit isn't that he's too straight, it's that the ensemble is simply too crowded. (This also applies to Ann, but I understand they're not going to give up on her as she's an original.)

As part of this effort to force Ben to fit, they've been playing T-money off Ben for a while, but this episode shows that they've already got a foil for Tom in Donna that works better than Ben. As do Jerry, Ron, Leslie, etc. The ensemble's big enough already, and it works!

That's the fun of this show, the wacky character in one scene can easily become the straightman in the next, and it works because of the lightened tone. Trying to do this with Ben is requiring too much screen time, give me more Donna, April, Jerry, Andy, people who are already established in the ensemble. It's taking up too much time to fold Ben into the mix (just like it did with Ann, but I'll concede the effort was worth it and Ann's worked out beyond "Andy's ex" -- just barely though).

I'll also concede that Chris works, but the Chris phenomenon is just that, it's *literally* the craziest, easiest addition to the ensemble. I'm still uncertain on how Chris fits into the whole Pawnee city hall hierarchy, but whatever. I'm excited to see if Jerry becomes Chris's evil archnemesis, maybe we'll find out that Jerry has villainous depths.

So Dead Ben? Yes. Evil Jerry? Aww hell yea.

EDIT: And resurrect Sewage Joe you bastards!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

It's weird, because another forum I go to has a bunch of people gushing over Ben constantly. I did like watching his huge head stuffed into that tiny cowl. And sometimes the nerd stuff works, but generally only when Tom is insulting Ben for it. He's like some weird hybrid of Jim and Toby; you sort of want him there, but he has no reason to be there, but it's difficult to shove him away for long? I dunno.

Episode overall was pretty warm compared to the previous two. Same thing happened last season - I thought the Boy Scout/Goddess showdown would be great, but it just felt a little flat. There was a camping episode last season that had the same issue - I had high expectations given how well the Ron-got-shot-in-the-head and Spring Catalog episodes went. Funny stuff happens outside, but not today.

Ann gets the proper amount of screentime; the opener for this season was great.

Love the show to scary degrees.

Posted Image

#45 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30355 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Heh, good analysis guys.
I love the show as well.

I want the whole Entertainment 720 thing to end though. Everytime it comes up I just think, "Ok, I get it."

#46 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

I don't think Ben's going anywhere, but I think the idea that he belongs in some way isn't borne out in the writing * . He's gone from interloper to love interest to nerd, and when he "works" he's filling a gap that could be filled as capably by any previously established regular. Or, if we're talking about the love interest, bit player -- Louis CK's cop beats Ben's awkward but understanding bf any day of the week.

*Is the idea to make this show like the Office, with a huge ensemble? In that case I guess Ben belongs. But I don't think it is, I certainly don't want Office in a Different Setting. I like PNR of the first two seasons, where the ensemble is a little more intimate, Leslie's working a mile a minute, and just about any two characters can pair off and be funny.

I agree on the 720 thing, they're trying something out there and I'm not sure what the point is. Maybe they were flirting with featuring Jean Ralphio somehow. As much as I like JR, I think it's because he's received just the right amount of screentime in the past. His little excited skipping maneuver before "dancing up on" Leslie in the snork juice episode is one of my favorite PNR moments -- it's those little things that make the show.

Anyway, back to the point, I hope 720 goes away. Maybe it was a way to involve Ben in something non-Leslie? Fuckin Ben. GRRR.

Edited by dothog, 18 October 2011 - 12:40 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   18656 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

Needs more Detlef Schrempf.

35bb9lx.gif

#48 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Keep your pants on.

Do you want to go buy some more pants?

Best thing about this episode is the captain from CHIPS is getting work. Take that Estrada.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22393 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Season 3 on Netflix. This is one of the funniest shows on TV. I love it. Actually, I can't think of anything I like better other than maybe Curb or Eastbound & Down but those aren't even airing right now.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#50 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Where's all the faces?

Posted Image

#51 Twilight Sparkle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Twilight Sparkle

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm fine with Ben. He provides a nice foil to most characters on the show just by being the straight man, while also taking some of the butt-monkey status away from Jerry. I also love the deadpan manner in which he calls people on their nonsense:

Joan: When I was 18, Val Kilmer saw me at a mall and told me I should model.
Ben: That never happened.

#52 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ben: That never happened.

See, I don't see why PNR needs joke explainers like Ben or Mark. So much of what Ben is doing is unnecessary, too often he's doing his take on Jim Halpert Face.

I know it's just one line, but really, what's it add? How does it make it funnier? Were they concerned the audience would get confused, that we actually think Joan was trained by Val Kilmer? PNR is already funny, I don't need Ben there to confirm every funny line or situation for me for it to register. However, the suits or the creator probably think otherwise.

IMO, PNR is beyond straightmen. And when they do need them, it can come from guest or bit parts (Louis CK was great for this, as his awkward energy was way funnier than Ben's awkward shifting). They don't need a dedicated straightman, as the cast can easily shift between manic and straight from scene to scene, that's the fun of the show. It's playing off of those manic elements we all have.

And to bring it back to Ben, again, his "crazy" is the Repressed Geek thing, which IMO doesn't add much to the character. Worse yet, it's not funny. They tried out the Boy Mayor thing, that didn't stick. Now he's The Batman. Whatever dudes. You're forcing it.

Edited by dothog, 07 November 2011 - 12:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Twilight Sparkle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Twilight Sparkle

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

See, I don't see why PNR needs joke explainers like Ben or Mark. So much of what Ben is doing is unnecessary, too often he's doing his take on Jim Halpert Face.

I know it's just one line, but really, what's it add? How does it make it funnier? Were they concerned the audience would get confused, that we actually think Joan was trained by Val Kilmer? PNR is already funny, I don't need Ben there to confirm every funny line or situation for me for it to register. However, the suits or the creator probably think otherwise.

IMO, PNR is beyond straightmen. And when they do need them, it can come from guest or bit parts (Louis CK was great for this, as his awkward energy was way funnier than Ben's awkward shifting). They don't need a dedicated straightman, as the cast can easily shift between manic and straight from scene to scene, that's the fun of the show. It's playing off of those manic elements we all have.

And to bring it back to Ben, again, his "crazy" is the Repressed Geek thing, which IMO doesn't add much to the character. Worse yet, it's not funny. They tried out the Boy Mayor thing, that didn't stick. Now he's The Batman. Whatever dudes. You're forcing it.

My understanding is that, in the Joan/Ben conversation, if Joan’s line was said and he didn’t comment on it, then there would be no joke. The audience doesn’t know her life, so there’s no way we can say that that didn’t happen to her (it’s not like getting a compliment from Val Kilmer is that outlandish a claim). Her statement becomes nothing more than a statement. He’s not there to tell you that Joan’s line was funny because, alone, it isn’t. He’s the one making the joke.

I also don’t understand what part of the Boy Mayor part didn’t stick. It’s his backstory. It explains why he does the job he does. The writers have mined jokes from it already, but I don’t think it’s necessary to make it Ben’s only facet. As for his geeky side, considering he outwardly makes geeky comments (and has been since early in season 3), it’s hardly repressed. And that’s where Ben gets his aforementioned butt monkey status, since people like Tom ridicule him for it.

I don’t get the Ben hate. As far as my viewing experience goes, his character certainly doesn’t take anything away from the show.

#54 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Okay, Sparkles. If not for Ben, the audience would have thought that Joan Calamezzo, host of a cable access show in small town Indiana, was discovered by Val Kilmer in a mall. Here come the gotcha dancers...

I'll lighten up on the Ben Hate. To me he's a product of a tendency in sitcoms that I don't like, that I avoid specifically, and the absence of that in early PNR was the reason I enjoyed the show so much. He's not as bad as other sitcoms, though, so I'll put up and shut up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 Twilight Sparkle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   127 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Twilight Sparkle

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Okay, Sparkles. If not for Ben, the audience would have thought that Joan Calamezzo, host of a cable access show in small town Indiana, was discovered by Val Kilmer in a mall. Here come the gotcha dancers...

I'll lighten up on the Ben Hate. To me he's a product of a tendency in sitcoms that I don't like, that I avoid specifically, and the absence of that in early PNR was the reason I enjoyed the show so much. He's not as bad as other sitcoms, though, so I'll put up and shut up.

I could be wrong, but since I'm sensing sarcasm in your first few sentences, here's her line again:

That's it. Nothing about Val Kilmer discovering her. Nothing about Val Kilmer training her (as your previous post mentioned). All it is is a line about an actor complementing her looks when she was a younger woman. As I said before, it's not an outlandish claim and, as such, isn't funny alone.

But hey, I'm not here to argue or anything. Just trying to comprehend our differing opinions.

Edited by Twilight Sparkle, 08 November 2011 - 11:32 AM.
adding clarification

#56 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   6611 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

It's weird, because another forum I go to has a bunch of people gushing over Ben constantly. I did like watching his huge head stuffed into that tiny cowl. And sometimes the nerd stuff works, but generally only when Tom is insulting Ben for it. He's like some weird hybrid of Jim and Toby; you sort of want him there, but he has no reason to be there, but it's difficult to shove him away for long? I dunno.

Everyone loves Adam Scott. Go watch Party Down for a great reason why.

538822.png

#57 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7157 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Everyone loves Adam Scott. Go watch Party Down for a great reason why.

Arreee WE having FUN yet?!

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#58 Strell   LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS! CAGiversary!   26583 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Women's lasers. "We can teach women to not crash trucks."

Chris, stop jumping.

Posted Image

#59 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

I'm two episodes behind, I think. I gotta catch up. Is Leslie president of the WORLD yet?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22393 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Is Season 3 really only 16 episodes? If so, I'm disappointed. I just watched the "Jerry's Painting" episode and it might have been the funniest 1/2 hour of television ever recorded. God I love this show.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---