PSN's $1 billion class action lawsuit

I hope this gets thrown out. Class action lawsuits are retarded. The only person who wins is the lawyer as he walks away with a cool chunk of the cash. The actual people on board receive almost nothing at all.

Anyone remember the Rockstar lawsuit over the Hot Coffee fiasco? The court ordered Rockstar to refund money to anyone who wanted one for GTA:SA. I can guarantee you that the lawyers for the case walked out with much, much more.

Oh Christ, I hope this bitch ends up being portrayed like a whining ass on TV. Shit happens, and it could happen to ANYONE and ANY company if targeted the way Sony was. They've apologized, and they'll make up for it even though it wasn't technically their fault.

[quote name='AftComet']I hope this gets thrown out. Class action lawsuits are retarded. The only person who wins is the lawyer as he walks away with a cool chunk of the cash. The actual people on board receive almost nothing at all.

Anyone remember the Rockstar lawsuit over the Hot Coffee fiasco? The court ordered Rockstar to refund money to anyone who wanted one for GTA:SA. I can guarantee you that the lawyers for the case walked out with much, much more.[/QUOTE]

I concur -- only people getting rich off of class action lawsuits are the law firms. Lawyers are indeed exploitative and contribute nothing to society with their petty money grab lawsuits.

so let's see here, assuming this class action suit is for all psn account holders, which I'll round down to 70 million,

$1 billion/70 million users = $14.29 per user, and that's before the lawyer fees...

Seems like no one's getting rich today.

I'd prefer to see this thread and the "vote" thread closed. This is a forum for "Video Game Deals" not threads that invoke trolling or flame wars (there's enough of that everywhere else). Now we're getting ugly (calling someone a "bitch"?).

Here we have friendly discussion and find great deals which is why CAG is one of my favorite places to visit. Let's not change that.

[quote name='AftComet']I hope this gets thrown out. Class action lawsuits are retarded. The only person who wins is the lawyer as he walks away with a cool chunk of the cash. The actual people on board receive almost nothing at all.
[/QUOTE]

Tell that to all the EA Las Vegas employees who were overworked and underpaid and didn't see an extra dime until a class action was filed against EA... and won. I have several friends who got a cool chunk of change due to that "retarded" class action.

As for the PSN suit - there better be a class action. Millions of people have:

1. Lost access to an essential service for enjoyment of their Sony product
2. Lost usage of newer titles that will probably never have a community due to this disaster (Crysis 2 and Homefront come to mind), making those games nearly worthless
3. Lost the ability to update broken titles and download already purchased titles, and to redeem content purchased or awarded in "code" format
4. Had their personal information accessed and potentially stolen, including but not limited to their mailing address, login and password, and credit card number

These types of violations are the reason the class action exists as a legal alternative. Some opinions are stupid. Yours is one of those.

[quote name='bburpee']Tell that to all the EA Las Vegas employees who were overworked and underpaid and didn't see an extra dime until a class action was filed against EA... and won. I have several friends who got a cool chunk of change due to that "retarded" class action.

2. Lost usage of newer titles that will probably never have a community due to this disaster (Crysis 2 and Homefront come to mind), making those games nearly worthless
3. Lost the ability to update broken titles and download already purchased titles, and to redeem content purchased or awarded in "code" format
4. Had their personal information accessed and potentially stolen, including but not limited to their mailing address, login and password, and credit card number

These types of violations are the reason the class action exists as a legal alternative. Some opinions are stupid. Yours is one of those.[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more. im so tired of people defending Sony and blaming the hackers. Sony is at fault here, with all the money they have our info should have been on lockdown. Apparently they are only now just hiring a head of internet security :headache:

[quote name='dannyox718']so let's see here, assuming this class action suit is for all psn account holders, which I'll round down to 70 million,

$1 billion/70 million users = $14.29 per user, and that's before the lawyer fees...

Seems like no one's getting rich today.[/QUOTE]

It only pertains to the 1 million registered Canadian PSN users, which would equal about a grand each, before lawyers fees.

Yep, nobody gettin' rich but the lawyer.

The sad thing is, these class action suits actually have a possibility of succeeding now. In a court of law, an apology can be considered an admission of wrongdoing.

Sony, up to the point of the press conference this past weekend, was very careful to "apologize without apologizing". But Kaz Hirai actually said the words, so now they're basically wide open.

Chances are they still won't succeed, but their chances are better.

[quote name='bburpee']
3. Lost the ability to update broken titles [/QUOTE]
You can still download patches, I've installed ones for Borderlands and Fallout New Vegas since PSN has been down.

Well I"m not sure if a lawsuit is the right way to it, I do believe Sony should take some responsibility.

I understand as a huge cooperation it can't be help sometimes that they are targetted, but they should learn from their mistakes and shape up... Not delaying notifying their consumers about possible identity theft... and definiately not commiting the same mistake again (Apparently the psn was hacked again yesterday and this time they stated credit card information has been stolen).

[quote name='dannyox718']so let's see here, assuming this class action suit is for all psn account holders, which I'll round down to 70 million,

Seems like no one's getting rich today.[/QUOTE]

There are only 25 million Xbox Live users as of late last year, so I doubt there are 70 million PSN users. Either way, no money gained per person hardly. I bet at least $5 million goes to the lawyer.

[quote name='bburpee']Tell that to all the EA Las Vegas employees who were overworked and underpaid and didn't see an extra dime until a class action was filed against EA... and won. I have several friends who got a cool chunk of change due to that "retarded" class action.

These types of violations are the reason the class action exists as a legal alternative. Some opinions are stupid. Yours is one of those.[/QUOTE]

You get what you pay for. Maybe you should shell out $4.50 a month and you wouldn't have this problem with Xbox Live.

SONY has no obligation to provide you with online service, it's free. You've provided nothing in return for adequate consideration.

If you're worried about your credit card, call your credit institution and have a new one issued. Problem solved.

If you find PSN an "essential" service, I think credit fraud is the least of your problems.

everyone will Get

20% off your choice of PSN title while the lawyers get 15 million each :)

Dont belive it ... wait and watch

OOOO I want to be on tv

Me lose me axecess to PSN now me dont know what me going to be able to play the playnation games cause i wasnt able to hook into the interweb and be able to play with me games so me going to go down to the big o court house buidling place and find me a a lawery and sue

All of you guys putting Sony at fault here, all I can say is if this lawsuit goes through I hope Sony charges you guys to play on PSN. Before you say that I'm defending Sony let me tell you that I don't even own a PS3.

The lawyers' take will probably start at 30% of recovery plus fees. If it goes to trial, that will probably ramp up to 40%, and if it has to go through the appeals process, probably 45%.

Class actions do serve a purpose, but it's also true that the lawyers are really the only ones that get substantial money for them. They're gambling that they'll win though. If they lose, years of time consuming work is not paid for at all. Imagine going to your job for three years and not getting paid until the end only to find out that your employer didn't think you did a good enough job to deserve to be paid at all. That's kind of what class action and personal injury lawyers face.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']If someone robbed your bank, and COULD have stolen your money and info, but didn't, would you sue the bank?[/QUOTE]

Erm after you deposited money into the bank, the money technically isn't your liability anymore.. It's covered by insurance, so even if the money was stolen, it'll be paid for by the insurance company, complete different issue here since Sony having prompt for such info to do business, should safeguard the information better... instead of repeating the same mistakes again and again, and having no consequences for their actions.

Excuse me while I :roll:

Seriously guys?

Yes - Sony certainly should have had better security. However, there's basically no security system out there that can't be hacked if the right minds determine to break them apart. So, the point I'm trying to make is that no matter what Sony had in place, you can be sure that these guys were probably motivated enough to put in the extra work to end up with the same outcome. Taking the proper security measures in the first place would have probably just delayed what was already inevitable. Don't think for a minute that XBLA can't be hacked, or any other online business... This shit happens all the time, even to banks(who most assuredly have top notch security systems).

I'm not saying Sony is completely devoid of blame. Did they really need to remove OtherOS? Probably not. Should they have had a bit more stronger security? Sure, but as I stated above, in the end it probably wouldn't have mattered much. The hackers are most definitely more to blame than Sony themselves, though. Let's not forget we're only losing playtime and basic info that anyone could already find on the internet. Sony are the ones that are bleeding money because of this whole fiasco.

LOL She wont get a damn dime. Sony was doing the best they could. As Mixer236 said, no one is safe. If someone wants your information, they will get it. From reading on the PS3 forums and facebook, the main people crying are the ones that get the PSN for free. Most of us MATURE people that actually pay for PLUS to get better offers from Sony, have waited patiently because we know Sony will make it right.

[quote name='Mixer236']Seriously guys?

Yes - Sony certainly should have had better security. However, there's basically no security system out there that can't be hacked if the right minds determine to break them apart....[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Speaking as someone who works in internet security, it all comes down to shades of gray.

In theory, any system can be broken into. In practice, some can be made secure enough, and with enough layers of defense, that the

1) chances of an attack succeeding diminish
2) the length of time an attack goes undetected shortens
3) and the amount of damage that can be done is minimized
4) and the amount of effort needed to repair/restore is reduced.

From everything I've read thus far, Sony seems to have failed on multiple levels. The lawsuit accuses them of not having enough security, nor doing their due diligence with sensitive data, nor responding in a timely or effective manner. To address the points above.

1) They ran outdated and unpatched software that ran the PSN. They also relied too heavily on client-side authentication and security. This is leaving your front door wide open, with a sign saying "gone out", and taking people's word that they won't break in (where "people" include known thieves who drive around looking for open front doors)

2) The attackers successfully breached the PSN a significant amount of time before (where significant in this case is anything more than a few hours). This gave the attacks ample time to explore the inner workings of the PSN, install additional attack vectors, and remove logs/traces of their entrance to avoid detection.

3) Sony stored and transmitted sensitive data without encryption. This is web security 101. Heck, this is a prerequisite for web security 101. Sensitive data should be stored encrypted, using a very strong cypher, for this exact reason. In the off chance someone gets a hold of the database, they still have to spend a long time (up to an including the entire lifespan of the universe) trying to decrypt the data. I would hazard a guess that storing unencrypted credit cards may actually be illegal, depending on which state they're operating out of.

4) Sony did not inform customers of the breach. Instead they took a long time to inform customers, during which time customers were vulnerable to attacks ranging from identity theft, social engineering, or credit card theft. All these attacks can be defended against, but usually only if you know they're "out there".

Finally, and most damning, is the amount of time Sony is taking. If they were hacked and backdoors were installed, it should be very easy to recover. Take it offline. Identify the breech. Nuke the server, restore from backups, apply patches, go back online and be extra-vigilant watching the server logs for a while. That should be, at worst, an afternoon's worth of work with all hands on deck. That this hasn't happened suggests that Sony has no idea how they were hacked and/or they know, and the issue is horrible programming that is systemically ingrained throughout the entire PSN code that they have no choice but to scrap it and rebuild from scratch.

So yes, hacks happen. All the time. But for a multi-billion dollar tech giant like Sony to be that vulnerable to the point where they are completely paralyzed-- that's inexcusable.

That they let themselves get hacked and lost sensitive data is a fact at this point. Now it's just up to a judge to determine how culpable they are, and how much restitution the opponent's lawyers needs.

Oh yeah, and we'll all get 0.71 months free PSN access out of it. Whoopee.

[quote name='Faytz']Erm after you deposited money into the bank, the money technically isn't your liability anymore.. It's covered by insurance, so even if the money was stolen, it'll be paid for by the insurance company, complete different issue here since Sony having prompt for such info to do business, should safeguard the information better... instead of repeating the same mistakes again and again, and having no consequences for their actions.[/QUOTE]

Repeating the same mistakes over and over again? Which same mistakes?

BTW, all credit cards are covered with fraud insurance.

110427.jpg

also,
i-8Wvvm6p-L.jpg

Defending Sony Lol.

Hey guys my bank just lost my credit card info and let random strangers have access to my phone number address and email address.

But I think its ok since hackers are bad... I still trust you shady bank!

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Repeating the same mistakes over and over again? Which same mistakes?

BTW, all credit cards are covered with fraud insurance.[/QUOTE]

This one:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/sony-woes-continue-as-soe-confirms-data-breach/

If it happens once then ok, shape up, inform the consumers about it in a timely manner (which they didn't do the first time the psn was breached) and step up the security, not letting it happen again, especially in less then two weeks...

Ya, psn is a free service, so it's also one of the selling points of the ps3 over the xbox 360. They do make money off the digital downloads, shouldn't they have a bit more respect for their consumers and try protecting their consumers privacy?

What they lost so far is people's trust.. but damage wise, the credit cards company are the ones losing money... I don't know, it just feels like they have nothign to lose, so they'll continue doing what they've always been doing... Like I said, I'm not sure a lawsuit is the right wway, but shouldn't there be SOME consequences?

Sure credit cars are covered with fraud insurance, but you still have to deal with very thing yourself (Being aware that you're at risk and constantly checking if there's unauthorized purchases on your account, contacting the credit card company, signing a waver or whatever else you have to do to get it all sorted etc), I'm sure the bank handles all that if they do get robbed.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']If someone robbed your bank, and COULD have stolen your money and info, but didn't, would you sue the bank?[/QUOTE]

If the bank kept my money and didn't let me access my account for weeks on end, yeah, probably. Why wouldn't you?

[quote name='AftComet']You get what you pay for. Maybe you should shell out $4.50 a month and you wouldn't have this problem with Xbox Live.

SONY has no obligation to provide you with online service, it's free. You've provided nothing in return for adequate consideration.

If you're worried about your credit card, call your credit institution and have a new one issued. Problem solved.

If you find PSN an "essential" service, I think credit fraud is the least of your problems.[/QUOTE]

Worst attempt at internet lawyering ever. Impressive.

First, and most obviously, Playstation Plus is not online, a pay service that customers have purchased and have no access to. Additionally, any other pay services that rely on PSN (Hulu Plus and DCU Online) are also unavailable due to Sony's blunder. When you pay for service, you have absolutely given consideration for that service.

Second, Sony has received consideration in the amount of your purchase of the system, which they advertise as follows:

"PS3 owners also receive free access to The PlayStation Network (PSN), where through The PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home, they can download games, game demos, movies, and other content, as well as chat with friends, play mini-games, compete in tournaments and explore dedicated game spaces."

If you purchased a PS3 system on reliance of the PSN being online, you have every right to sue on the basis that that essential product feature does not operate as advertised. Just because they received your money in one bulk sum doesn't mean they can warrant performance, then shirk the duty they owe the buyer.

Like many CAGs, I have both XBL and PSN accounts, and I stupidly purchased games that rely on PSN service just before Sony CHOSE to take down PSN following their ADMITTED breach which allowed millions of users' personal data to be stolen by hackers. Never again. I will not buy another title for the Ps3 that I can buy on the 360. The service was shoddy to begin with, the data security is awful, and Sony could ultimately care less about its user base. I'll be happy when they lose millions on this debacle.

[quote name='Faytz']This one:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/sony-woes-continue-as-soe-confirms-data-breach/

If it happens once then ok, shape up, inform the consumers about it in a timely manner (which they didn't do the first time the psn was breached) and step up the security, not letting it happen again, especially in less then two weeks...

Ya, psn is a free service, so it's also one of the selling points of the ps3 over the xbox 360. They do make money off the digital downloads, shouldn't they have a bit more respect for their consumers and try protecting their consumers privacy?

What they lost so far is people's trust.. but damage wise, the credit cards company are the ones losing money... I don't know, it just feels like they have nothign to lose, so they'll continue doing what they've always been doing... Like I said, I'm not sure a lawsuit is the right wway, but shouldn't there be SOME consequences?

Sure credit cars are covered with fraud insurance, but you still have to deal with very thing yourself (Being aware that you're at risk and constantly checking if there's unauthorized purchases on your account, contacting the credit card company, signing a waver or whatever else you have to do to get it all sorted etc), I'm sure the bank handles all that if they do get robbed.[/QUOTE]

You also pay the bank a monthly service fee for all that.

Either way, I like how everyone assumes Sony had minimal security for their network. Even though the PSN has been up for almost 6 years before this happened. If it was that easy to hack, it would have been done on day one.

Obviously SOE had the same security as the PSN and they shut it down to fix that as well. So its not really making the same mistake over and over again. It is one problem. It's not like they arn't fixing the problem. They didn't just dismiss it and say, well, lets hope that doesn't happen again, or we might have to FIX it.
However, if the PSN gets hacked again, you can make that claim.

I guess I'm just a little more forgiving and understanding. It's not like Sony isn't trying to right things now. But I guess you're right, the only option is to sue the hell out of them. How much money was stolen off YOU'RE credit card anyway?

[quote name='bburpee']Worst attempt at internet lawyering ever. Impressive.

First, and most obviously, Playstation Plus is not online, a pay service that customers have purchased and have no access to. Additionally, any other pay services that rely on PSN (Hulu Plus and DCU Online) are also unavailable due to Sony's blunder. When you pay for service, you have absolutely given consideration for that service.

Second, Sony has received consideration in the amount of your purchase of the system, which they advertise as follows:

"PS3 owners also receive free access to The PlayStation Network (PSN), where through The PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home, they can download games, game demos, movies, and other content, as well as chat with friends, play mini-games, compete in tournaments and explore dedicated game spaces."

If you purchased a PS3 system on reliance of the PSN being online, you have every right to sue on the basis that that essential product feature does not operate as advertised. Just because they received your money in one bulk sum doesn't mean they can warrant performance, then shirk the duty they owe the buyer.

Like many CAGs, I have both XBL and PSN accounts, and I stupidly purchased games that rely on PSN service just before Sony CHOSE to take down PSN following their ADMITTED breach which allowed millions of users' personal data to be stolen by hackers. Never again. I will not buy another title for the Ps3 that I can buy on the 360. The service was shoddy to begin with, the data security is awful, and Sony could ultimately care less about its user base. I'll be happy when they lose millions on this debacle.[/QUOTE]

I believe you've made quite a few valid points and I respect your argument. I still don't fully agree.

How long in your professional opinion must Sony provide this free service for? The rest of eternity?

Plus and other such subscription fees can easily be refunded for the time that was lost.

Most of the people making a huge deal from this are nothing but drama queens.

EA pulls the plug on online games all the time. Despite the fact it says ONLINE PLAY right on the box. Some of those games were shut down less than a year ago and were online for a year or less. Why haven't they been sued?

Probably the same fine print that protects Sony. It's an AS IS feature.

Sony IS comping people with 30 days of PS+ and for the MMO players of Everquest and DConline, they are getting 30 free days for every ONE day the service is down. I think that is pretty fair.

As for the delayed response from Sony, I'm sure that time included getting a resonse from they're lawyers, so they can avoid making the issue any worse.

I'm not saying what happend is right, but there is no proof that credit card info has been stolen. Also the hacker had access to about as much info as if you were to order a pizza online.

Anyways, if in the end all you care is that Sony loses millions of dollars from this whole thing, they already have. PS3 sales have dropped 9% since the hack, and they've lost a ton from any PSN titles that would have been bought. I think they've suffered enough.

People seem to overact like Sony has killed one of their children or something. "Sony's a WITCH, grab your pitchforks and gasoline!!!"

While I don't necessarily agree with a class action lawsuit, I can't believe there are people here who are trying to claim that Sony isn't at fault. Yes, any security system can potentially be hacked. However, it is fairly clear that Sony did not take every possible, or even reasonable, precaution to prevent the loss of user data. Case in point: passwords were potentially stolen. I'm not a computer security expert at a multinational electronics corporation, and even I know that you don't store passwords in a manner that can be stolen (or, well, even store passwords directly at all, really). You hash the passwords and store the hashes, not the passwords themselves. That's not anything new or complicated, it's Internet Security 101. If Sony wasn't doing something as simple as that, what else weren't they doing?

People defending Sony are equally as ridiculous as the people overreacting and acting like it's the end of the world, IMO.

With that said, mother fuck Sony in the ass, if I can get money for little effort, I'm down. Sony is just another greedy corporation, one who fucked up royally. I'd do the same with Nintendo or Microsoft (or anyone who isn't directly related to me....even then I'd have to consider it)

I know nothing of the law - how do these work (if anyone has done it before)?

I don't know how many people have read the actual articles about this, but one key element of the class action is that it seeks two years of credit monitoring paid by Sony.

I think that's a pretty appropriate remedy -- offering consumers protection or at least some renewed sense of security from the worst fears that were the result of Sony's security lapse.

Of course, clearly this lawsuit goes beyond credit monitoring into punitive territory. The cost of monitoring through Equifax (which I presume is on the higher end of the price scale as sort of the big name in credit bureaus here), would be $300 over two years. With a million users, that's $300 million (and I think if you're offering up a million people for two years you can probably get a deal :) )... so there's $700 million in some sort of additional damages being sought.

It's one thing to call for $300 worth of credit monitoring, but I don't know that my discomfort about having my data stolen is worth an additional $200 of cash in my pocket over and above that (assuming half were to go to lawyers' fees)

Regarding the general discussion over the breach, I think a lot of people are too preoccupied with credit cards. I don't want my credit card number stolen any more than the next guy, but the protection that's built into your card is pretty good. If it wasn't, would you really carry around an instrument that could be worth several thousand dollars in a single transaction?

I also think people are underestimating the value of the other information -- it's all stuff that identifies you to the companies that you deal with. A lot of companies, credit card and otherwise, use birth date as a key piece of info when you're dealing with their call centres. Same goes for your mother's maiden name, if that was your security question.

[quote name='True Kronic']People defending Sony are equally as ridiculous as the people overreacting and acting like it's the end of the world, IMO.

With that said, mother fuck Sony in the ass, if I can get money for little effort, I'm down. Sony is just another greedy corporation, one who fucked up royally. I'd do the same with Nintendo or Microsoft (or anyone who isn't directly related to me....even then I'd have to consider it)

I know nothing of the law - how do these work (if anyone has done it before)?[/QUOTE]

First off: Wow.

Second: Generally, with a class action suit, you don't need to do anything. Once it's been filed, as long as you are a member of the class (in this case, PSN users), you are a part of the lawsuit unless you opt out. You will eventually be notified by someone, either Sony or the firm filing the suit, of the lawsuit, and the options that you have (i.e., being part of the settlement and giving up your rights to take any other separate legal action for the same matter, or opting out of the suit). Once a settlement is made, you will be notified of what (if anything) you need to do to make a claim. That being said, since this suit is being filed in Canada, it likely only includes Canadian users. If you are not in Canada, you will not be a part of it; if a similar suit is filed in the US (or wherever you are), you'll be a part of that.

Third: These things are often settled out of court for some significant amount less than the plaintiff originally asked for. It's easier (and cheaper) for both the plaintiff and the defendant to just make a lesser out of court settlement than it is to enter into a protracted court case.

Fourth: While it's possible that you would get a monetary settlement, these things are often settled in such a way that only the lawyers involved actually get any cash. Members of the class get some "equivalent", such as free service -- so you're just as likely to only get another free month of PSN+ or something like that (if the court doesn't consider the month that Sony is already giving you to be an adequate settlement itself).

So don't get your hopes up too much, as it's quite likely that you'll get very little, if anything, out of it.

[quote name='AftComet']:roll:[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

If you really feel that Sony owes you something more than whatever they're already going to give you, might I suggest that you write to them directly? You can send them this letter:

Darling Fascist Bullyboy,

Give me some more money, you bastard.

May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman,
Neil

If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

(Alas, I suspect that many of those complaining are too young to even get the reference . . . )

[quote name='arcane93']Indeed.

If you really feel that Sony owes you something more than whatever they're already going to give you, might I suggest that you write to them directly? You can send them this letter:

If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

(Alas, I suspect that many of those complaining are too young to even get the reference . . . )[/QUOTE]

HAHA nice. Was that an intentional pun (the young ones)?

[quote name='SickBoy']I also think people are underestimating the value of the other information -- it's all stuff that identifies you to the companies that you deal with. A lot of companies, credit card and otherwise, use birth date as a key piece of info when you're dealing with their call centres. Same goes for your mother's maiden name, if that was your security question.[/QUOTE]

Not really underestimating, I just know from personal experience that all of that info(birthdate, phone, address, parents names/maiden names) can be found by simply doing some research on any one person for about 5-10 minutes on the internet. It's actually pretty scary how easily that info can be had.

The worst thing that was taken is your password & email address. As I said earlier, personal info comes easily. A credit card number can be made invalid and have a new one re-issued with a 5 minute phone call. However, despite all the precautioning you always hear about, most people use the same password for everything. All they'd have to do is use those two together on any number of websites and all kinds of opportunities open up for them.

I worked as a skip tracer for a collection agency for a while, and later for a payday loan company.

The amount of information you can find on a person with a couple minutes of looking is staggering. I don't put my real last name anywhere online that it can be viewed publicly for this exact reason.

For stuff like PSN, Amazon, etc, obviously I have to, but anywhere else? Hell no. I made damn sure if you Google my real name, nothing comes up.

[quote name='JaredFrost']Class action suits aren't about cashing in, they're about making the company responsible pay.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. And from that, the question that you really have to ask is what is there really to be gained by it? I mean, will making Sony shell out a billion dollars (or more -- remember this is just for Canada -- just think what a similar lawsuit would cost them in the US if a plaintiff there asked for the same amount per PSN member) bring back the (potentially) lost information? (Remember, this is all potential -- all Sony really knows is that the hackers reached a level where they could have taken the information; whether they actually did or not is another question.) Will it somehow cause them to be more careful with their security in the future? (More careful than just the fallout from all of this would have made them, that is.) Will Sony shelling out a lot of money make you trust them more? Will anyone -- especially gamers -- stand to gain anything from Sony taking a major financial hit in their gaming division? What might Sony have to cut to make up for it -- development of future games, work on the PS4?

I mean, ok, Sony is big, and they can probably recover from whatever this ultimately throws at them. But really, I just don't see the point to it.

bread's done
Back