Reccomend me some mech/giant robot anime

gargus

Banned
I saw a clip of some anime that has mechs fight with missles flying allover and really good quality animation and it made me want to see more. But I dont know what it was since it was on a tv in the background of some movie I flipped by last night on tv. But sadly my knowledge of anime is rather limited, especially when it comes to mechs or giant robots blowing shit and eachother up.

So anyone have some reccomendations on some that has nice animation, good art and interesting action in it?

Oh and while Im on the subject of japanese shows can anyone tell me a official name for japanese wrestling. Now, what I saw just wasnt any wrestling. It had special effects and people were wearing crazy costumes, doing big fights and it was actually really cool to watch. One guy was dressed up almost like some kind of super hero, another guy was like half robot and it was fun. Ive tried searching for it but I cant quite find what I saw, maybe what I just saw was a fluke though.

Feel free to use the OT forum's Anime & Manga thread.

To answer your question though, if you're looking for great mech action -- Gundam Unicorn is what you want to be watching right now. It's considered godly by just about everyone. Problem is, there's only three, 60 minute episodes out right now, and they only release 2 every year (it's half way finished). The blu-rays are expensive, but I'm sure you're capable of other means [PSN offers a $6 HD-Rental if you prefer].

Other fantastic mech shows are quite older, and I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. I'll leave that to other CAGs to recommend.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mobile Suit Gundam (lots of the Gundam sequels are good, but I consider the original the best)
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster (this one is short, at only 6 episodes, but it's my favorite)
Getter Robo Armageddon

The Big O is good, and is a little different than many.

Gundam 08th MS team (the best gundam, IMO)
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic (just keep in mind that in the 2nd and 3rd show the mechs take a back seat to the characters)

Gurren Lagann
Getter Robo Armageddon
Martian Successor Nadesico
Robotech

EDIT: steal from above - 2nd for Zoids

Also. . . . Also. . . Metabots.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoids. therye animal robots but still robots and theres a number of diff seasons/ versions most of which are really cool except for that last one,

Vandread.

[quote name='Gden']Gundam 08th MS team (the best gundam, IMO)
[/QUOTE]

Definitely my second favorite after the original. It's interesting going from most Gundam series where aces win the war with their godly skills and one Gundam single handedly to 08th MS. In 08th MS, the pilots aren't psychics and they try to get semi-realistic where Gundams need repair and squad-based tactics win fights, not one person going out in the middle of 100 enemies and killing them all.

I'll second these:

G Gundam
8th MS Team
Evangelion and Big O (even if they do get to be mindfucks about halfway through)

As for the japanese wrestling, it's called puro over there. Not sure exactly which promotion you were watching. Try asking in the pro wrestling thread. If the current title of New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread didn't give you a hint, there are a few people in there that pay attention to the overseas shows.

That anime sounds like it could have been one of the Macross series. Macross Plus is one of the better ones. Lots of missiles flying around, as you say.

The wrestling you describe reminds me of "kaiju big battel". American mock-wrestling inspired by japanese pop culture. The Wiki page will tell you more.

Anyone who wants to watch mecha has to watch Giant Robo. It's only 6 episodes, but it's probably one of the best anime ever made.

Also, Gaogaigar is fantastic (Especially the OAV sequel Gaogaigar Final which wasn't released in the US).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Anyone who wants to watch mecha has to watch Giant Robo. It's only 6 episodes, but it's probably one of the best anime ever made.
[/QUOTE]

Giant Robo is actually 7 episodes, and each one is around an hour long (plus the 3 half hour parody episodes). Longer than any 13 episode series when you take the run time into consideration.

Gundam 80th MS Team
Transformers
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Samurai Pizza Cats
Gold Lightan
Captain Planet
The Iron Giant

If you are ok with mech SUITS on chicks with the random crazy cyborg you should watch Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Great stuff!

Gurren Lagann! Sooooo crazy over the top with fantastic quality animation.
GaoGaiGar is great animation too, but hella hard to find (at least it was for me)
Gunbuster (aka Aim for the Top!): old, but good show and required to get a cool referrence at the end of Diebuster
Diebuster (aka Aim for the Top 2!): sequel to Gunbuster, amazing animation quality and over the top robots ala Gurren Lagann. Both Busters are short OVAs but very entertaining.

[quote name='elessar123']No one here liked SEED?[/QUOTE]

I loved Gundam Seed. Destiny, not so much, but Seed was great.

robotech macross.........you should start with this one... especially if you appreciate storyline
robotech mosopeida
gundam f91
gundam chars counter attack
gundam stardust memories
robotech macross
robotech mosopeida
battletech had a cartoon back in the day

to darksage rk... captain planet? wtf is wrong with you.. how does that qualify as giant mech

[quote name='dreamerslost']
to darksage rk... captain planet? wtf is wrong with you.. how does that qualify as giant mech[/QUOTE]
but hes our hero!

It may be hard to find but Megas XLR. It was shown on cartoon network and basically made fun of every series of giant mech shows ever.

[quote name='dreamerslost']to darksage rk... captain planet? wtf is wrong with you.. how does that qualify as giant mech[/QUOTE]

ಠ_ಠ

v0dHh.jpg

Enough proof?

Might as well start with where it all began, the original Gundam. It is pretty much the "Star Wars" of robot anime, with Char Aznable becoming the Darth Vader of Japan. I would go with the compilation movies since they improved the quality. It created a huge universe with memorable characters. You will able to appreciate the side stuff like 08th MS team a lot more.

Next move on to Zeta Gundam, which is what I considered the "Empire Strikes Back" of the series. Skip ZZ Gundam, since thats the Phantom Menace of the series.

im surprised nobody said voltron also there was an american big robot show called orbots. G gundamn is a good series as well.

[quote name='62t']Might as well start with where it all began, the original Gundam. It is pretty much the "Star Wars" of robot anime, with Char Aznable becoming the Darth Vader of Japan. I would go with the compilation movies since they improved the quality. It created a huge universe with memorable characters. You will able to appreciate the side stuff like 08th MS team a lot more.

Next move on to Zeta Gundam, which is what I considered the "Empire Strikes Back" of the series. Skip ZZ Gundam, since thats the Phantom Menace of the series.[/QUOTE]
Then 0080, 0083, 08th MS team, and Char's Counterattack. Then watch Gundam Unicorn.

I preferred the original series over the compilation movies but they did a nice job of covering most of the relevant stuff. I would ignore ZZ and F91.

Yes, definitely Giant Robo. Damn near perfect and far too short. Still have the LD's.
Neon Genesis Evangelion has amazing looking Mechs and animation in it,
BUT, the main "hero" -Shinji- is a whiny little turd that I despised all the way to the series end. Motoko Kusanagi was by far my favorite character.
And Macross: Love Do You Remember theatrical film is simply amazing.

And as others have suggested, Gunbuster. Another short lived OAV series with character designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto of Macross fame.
And Megazone 23 as well.

bread's done
Back