My Japanse Coach DS - 19.99 Fulfilled By Amazon

Miro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Edit: 5/17/11, 11:03 pm - Due in-stock again (5/19) for 19.99! Get them while you can!

This is a super hard to find game. Sold by a third party seller, Hubbagames, but Fulfilled by Amazon. My experiences with Hubbagames has been pretty positive and I'd recommend buying from them. The fact that it's FBA means if something is wrong with the item, you can always just return it! Only a couple copies left, so get them while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Japanese-Coach-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001BZ8EX8

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a problem buying from Hubbagames through Amazon.

As for My Japanese Coach, it isn't bad if you know some Japanese already, but if you are starting from scratch, it is a bit difficult. You are still better off taking a class...

[quote name='Namelessloser']Available again for $5 cheaper backordered till May 11th for anyone interested.[/QUOTE]

TY!

All over it, need to practice my rusty Japanese during the summer zzz

Fulfilled by Hubba though, in stock 5/12. Very odd that pricing.

Any one have any opinions on this series of games? I know zero Japanese but wouldn't mind learning some basic words and phrases cause that'd be pretty cool.

[quote name='Namelessloser']Available again for $5 cheaper backordered till May 11th for anyone interested.[/QUOTE]

ordered, thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Any one have any opinions on this series of games? I know zero Japanese but wouldn't mind learning some basic words and phrases cause that'd be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

These games don't really teach you the languages. They are not bad in conjunction with some kind of actual language learning -- they work vocabulary and memory pretty well. They are best for expanding your vocabulary or reinforcing the words that you learn. But by themselves they are not terribly useful.

My Japanese Coach is decent for writing. You can fool the DS recognition, but it's not bad for learning the proper way of writing characters.

It's back to 14.99 and would be in stock on the 17th. Went ahead and ordered a copy. That helped me get FSSS since a copy of Phoenix Wright has been in my cart for a while.

Thanks OP. Hopefully, A couple of weeks with this game and I'll be around 50% of my preferred understanding of the language...

I read Japanese on a conversational level and I can honestly say that electronic programs only got me about 5% of the way there. Most of what I learned I learned from plain old fashioned Flash Cards.

There's a few different sets you can get from places like Play Asia. Go with those. If you're looking for this as a collector's item, it might be "rare" but it won't be holy grail level rare.

Pointless for learning a language. The best software for learning, if you want to use software, is Rosetta Stone and only because the new version allows you to chat with a live representative (chats are scheduled and orderly, very professional). Most of learning a language outside an academic setting requires mental dexterity and devotion from oneself. This might not be bad as a companion to learning if you're in a class but there are better options for companions.

The only DS software I'd recommend is a Japanese Kanji dictionary game. Very useful because all you do is draw the kanji, and if you have good handwriting, it's very quick (as opposed to the traditional method of looking up kanji).

http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Diction..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1305182899&sr=8-1

It's very expensive though.

[quote name='martyback']the new version allows you to chat with a live representative (chats are scheduled and orderly, very professional). [/QUOTE]

Wow, I knew Rosetta Stone was on top of their shit but I had no idea about that.

I've been wanting to learn Korean, too bad I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software to do so.

[quote name='brb214']Wow, I knew Rosetta Stone was on top of their shit but I had no idea about that.

I've been wanting to learn Korean, too bad I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software to do so.[/QUOTE]

Eh, Rosetta Stone is mediocre for learning a language otherwise. As far as software goes, it's good but software only takes you so far. Rosetta stone does a poor job in explaining grammar rules and actually immersing you in the language. One could easily speed through a lesson and not really remember what they just did. You can't emulate the experience of being surrounded by a language in a 15 minute language. People say living in a foreign country is the best way to learn the language because it's true; you're forced to speak it and forced to try and understand it. It makes you mind wrap itself around the language in a way that can't be done otherwise.

Overall I'd say it's only good if you truly have no option. I understand your woes in particular because while Korean is my first language, living in America for the majority of my life has reduced my ability to speak to conversational. It's very hard to find a proper channel to which learn Korean. Rosetta stone doesn't help me because I want to learn the grammar rules, the structure and expand my vocabulary in an academic sense. My girlfriend however is learning through Rosetta Stone (including live chats) but also regularly searches for online pen pals in Korea or random Korean people to talk to online as well as going to other resources. She's been trying for almost a year and while she hasn't even learned what she'd learn in one level of academic Korean, she's gotten pretty far through some self-determination.

Learning a language is a grand pursuit but know what you're getting into before you try. Endschuldigen Sie, Ich muss schlafen jetzt.

[quote name='martyback']
The only DS software I'd recommend is a Japanese Kanji dictionary game. Very useful because all you do is draw the kanji, and if you have good handwriting, it's very quick (as opposed to the traditional method of looking up kanji).

http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Diction..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1305182899&sr=8-1

It's very expensive though.[/QUOTE]

Infinitely cheaper to either buy this through an importer or have a third party like dv8cag pick this up for you.

Mine came today... shrink-wrapped but not y-fold. The cover insert was messed up in the back, and what do you know, it's in a Eco case.

Game came out in 2008 (before the Eco cases were used), so it's either: 1. These aren't "new" and they repackaged them, or 2: This is a reprint. Either way... not as impressed as I'd like to be but for the price I can't complain.

Wow, this doesn't even sound like a game. Its amazing what passes for games these days . . . super simple cheap language progs like this being one such example. Unbelievably BORING.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Wow, this doesn't even sound like a game. Its amazing what passes for games these days . . . super simple cheap language progs like this being one such example. Unbelievably BORING.[/QUOTE]

it's not a game. it's for people to expand their language skills. You should try my word coach.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Wow, this doesn't even sound like a game. Its amazing what passes for games these days . . . super simple cheap language progs like this being one such example. Unbelievably BORING.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen what DS software is out in Japan? It's not trying to be a game whatsoever. Neither are the cooking books out there :p

:rofl:

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Mine came today... shrink-wrapped but not y-fold. The cover insert was messed up in the back, and what do you know, it's in a Eco case.

Game came out in 2008 (before the Eco cases were used), so it's either: 1. These aren't "new" and they repackaged them, or 2: This is a reprint. Either way... not as impressed as I'd like to be but for the price I can't complain.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, cheap reprint it seems.... Oh well. Cheap enough.

[quote name='confoosious']it's not a game. it's for people to expand their language skills. You should try my word coach.[/QUOTE]

You are mean to people but i have to admit... I loled.

I ordered mine b/c I just wanted another means of practicing Japanese since I'm a big fan of their culture, anime and some of their games that aren't available in the US. For 14.99, why not?

[quote name='cheeky']You are mean to people but i have to admit... I loled.[/QUOTE]

I'm only mean to people who suck. ;)

I'm getting this in the mail tomorrow. I'm disappointed it's a cheapy reprint. I sold mine a while ago for like $40. But for $15, it's worth it. Practicing katakana is always a drag.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I ordered mine b/c I just wanted another means of practicing Japanese since I'm a big fan of their culture, anime and some of their games that aren't available in the US. For 14.99, why not?[/QUOTE]

Ugh, otaku. You're not going to learn a bit of useful Japanese with a DS game, not to mention people like you barely ever actually know anything useful or substantial about Japanese culture. The other day I met someone in my East Asian Cultures course that insisted he was more knowledgeable than the professor on Japanese culture because he watched Japanese soap operas all the time. After I asked him if General Hospital was a good representation of American culture, he shut up.

[quote name='martyback']Ugh, otaku. You're not going to learn a bit of useful Japanese with a DS game, not to mention people like you barely ever actually know anything useful or substantial about Japanese culture. The other day I met someone in my East Asian Cultures course that insisted he was more knowledgeable than the professor on Japanese culture because he watched Japanese soap operas all the time. After I asked him if General Hospital was a good representation of American culture, he shut up.[/QUOTE]

^_____________^

Hehe, yeah.
I bought this for my sister because she thinks like Batcave and I'm really hoping she grows out of this whole Otaku thing soon.
I'm only encouraging it with this gift though..... Hmmmm.

[quote name='martyback']Ugh, otaku. You're not going to learn a bit of useful Japanese with a DS game, not to mention people like you barely ever actually know anything useful or substantial about Japanese culture. The other day I met someone in my East Asian Cultures course that insisted he was more knowledgeable than the professor on Japanese culture because he watched Japanese soap operas all the time. After I asked him if General Hospital was a good representation of American culture, he shut up.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, I wouldn't call myself an otaku. I'm pretty much casual, not diehard, when it comes to things Japanese. Why is there the need to express such disdain towards that type? Let them enjoy whatever floats their boat. Who cares? And it's not smart to categorize one quickly when you don't know that person (including me) well.

[quote name='dallow']I bought this for my sister because she thinks like Batcave and I'm really hoping she grows out of this whole Otaku thing soon.
I'm only encouraging it with this gift though..... Hmmmm.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for you. There are some hobbies my family members pursue that I don't care much for but don't let that bother me since I know they genuinely enjoy them. If it's something like necrophilia, then there'll be a need for intervention.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Uhm, I wouldn't call myself an otaku. I'm pretty much casual, not diehard, when it comes to things Japanese. Why is there the need to express such disdain towards that type? Let them enjoy whatever floats their boat. Who cares? And it's not smart to categorize one quickly when you don't know that person (including me) well.[/QUOTE]

Sure, they don't harm anyone. But a trend I see in the vast majority of otakus is a sense of self-importance because they indulge in another culture, a tendency to impose their "knowledge" on others and a group-fueled ignorance on Japanese culture in general. You can be "casual" about it and still be an otaku. You're trying to "practice" another language with software that's ultimately useless for actually learning and maintaining it and a self-labeled "big fan of their culture."

Which part of their culture are you a "big fan" of? The 24-hour hentai channels? The Japanese government's insistent rhetoric that the nation's problems are due to negligence from women and the lack of women's conformity to housewife roles? The immense social and political pressure on people to maintain the ie (the ideal family in which 3 generations live and the elderly are cared for in every way) despite the fact that most people aren't able to financially handle it? Do you find Japan's obsessive sub-cultures fascinating? (http://www.cracked.com/article_18567_6-japanese-subcultures-that-are-insane-even-japan.html)

What you like is anime, sushi bars and American hibachi (which doesn't even mean anything in Japanese) food. Did you know the Japanese generally look down on American otakus? And that teriyaki is a way of cooking food, not a sauce as it's advertised in the US?

[quote name='martyback']Sure, they don't harm anyone. But a trend I see in the vast majority of otakus is a sense of self-importance because they indulge in another culture, a tendency to impose their "knowledge" on others and a group-fueled ignorance on Japanese culture in general. You can be "casual" about it and still be an otaku. You're trying to "practice" another language with software that's ultimately useless for actually learning and maintaining it and a self-labeled "big fan of their culture."

Which part of their culture are you a "big fan" of? The 24-hour hentai channels? The Japanese government's insistent rhetoric that the nation's problems are due to negligence from women and the lack of women's conformity to housewife roles? The immense social and political pressure on people to maintain the ie (the ideal family in which 3 generations live and the elderly are cared for in every way) despite the fact that most people aren't able to financially handle it? Do you find Japan's obsessive sub-cultures fascinating? (http://www.cracked.com/article_18567_6-japanese-subcultures-that-are-insane-even-japan.html)

What you like is anime, sushi bars and American hibachi (which doesn't even mean anything in Japanese) food. Did you know the Japanese generally look down on American otakus? And that teriyaki is a way of cooking food, not a sauce as it's advertised in the US?[/QUOTE]

I think you're reading too much into what I said. Perhaps I made a poor choice of words here. What I mean by "a big fan of culture" is how much I enjoy reading their rich history, looking at beautiful landscapes, architectural designs (pagodas, shrines, etc) and stuff like that. I know very little about things social/food or don't have any desire to act like a know-it-all. Eh, I feel like being baited here... Moving on.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I think you're reading too much into what I said. Perhaps I made a poor choice of words here. What I mean by "a big fan of culture" is how much I enjoy reading their rich history, looking at beautiful landscapes, architectural designs (pagodas, shrines, etc) and stuff like that. I know very little about things social/food or don't have any desire to act like a know-it-all. Eh, I feel like being baited here... Moving on.[/QUOTE]

And there you go. You're just as much of a fan of Japan as any other otaku; superficially. You couldn't give a rat's ass about their current socio-economic environment or contemporary aspects of their culture. You know what's sad? The other day, a guy in my East Asian class gave a presentation and said Naruto was an accurate depiction of ninjas.

People like you.

[quote name='martyback']Sure, they don't harm anyone. But a trend I see in the vast majority of otakus is a sense of self-importance because they indulge in another culture, a tendency to impose their "knowledge" on others and a group-fueled ignorance on Japanese culture in general. You can be "casual" about it and still be an otaku. You're trying to "practice" another language with software that's ultimately useless for actually learning and maintaining it and a self-labeled "big fan of their culture."

What you like is anime, sushi bars and American hibachi (which doesn't even mean anything in Japanese) food. Did you know the Japanese generally look down on American otakus? And that teriyaki is a way of cooking food, not a sauce as it's advertised in the US?[/QUOTE]

You're trying too hard. One could even say you're an anti-otaku otaku.

Yeah.... The hate is strong, going a bit too far though I know what martyback is saying.
I don't care nearly as much, it's just funny to me. I went through the Nippon-phile stage during middle and early high school.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You're trying too hard. One could even say you're an anti-otaku otaku.[/QUOTE]

My knowledge about Japan simply comes from part of my academic education (currently taking German and Japanese and majoring in Anthropology) and my trips to Korea (I'm Korean) where I meet a lot of Japanese tourists and exchange students. I dislike most anime, think modern JRPGs are trash and J-Pop makes my ears bleed. I think Japanese game companies have archaic mindsets and terribad business policies and think Japanese culture overall is weird as ****.

[quote name='martyback']My knowledge about Japan simply comes from part of my academic education (currently taking German and Japanese and majoring in Anthropology) and my trips to Korea (I'm Korean) where I meet a lot of Japanese tourists and exchange students. I dislike most anime, think modern JRPGs are trash and J-Pop makes my ears bleed. I think Japanese game companies have archaic mindsets and terribad business policies and think Japanese culture overall is weird as ****.[/QUOTE]
What's your point? You say otaku have a sense self-importance, but you're just being a hypocrite because you clearly have one too. You think you're better because your knowledge of Asian langauge and culture comes from a more "pure" place. Grow up. Stop pretending like this is more than someone liking something that you don't.

[quote name='martyback']And there you go. You're just as much of a fan of Japan as any other otaku; superficially. You couldn't give a rat's ass about their current socio-economic environment or contemporary aspects of their culture. You know what's sad? The other day, a guy in my East Asian class gave a presentation and said Naruto was an accurate depiction of ninjas.

People like you.[/QUOTE]

LOL...still coming up with something antagonistic. If one who likes anime to ANY degree (small or big) is considered an otaku, then so be it. In my mind, an otaku is someone who has watched a voluminous amount of anime and could answer trivial questions with ease. By the way, I despise shows like Naruto, Dragonball Z and the like. I enjoy certain anime shows just like any other genre. Again, you don't know me personally.

I wouldn't mind learning their culture in terms of what you just described. I just don't know what useful materials to get or have yet to ask one for such advice. There's so much out there to learn and so little time.

Geez, this is just a DS title (not a game) I picked up for cheap. If it's a flawed tool in your opinion, then ok. I didn't come here to tell everyone that it's a must-have for proper education or whatever. I just wanted to practice some words for fun....is that so bad? Sure, there are better ways to do it. I do regret not taking Japanese in college (took German instead for some required liberal arts credit). That would have been fun.

If you come up with yet another hostile response, then that'll be the end of this. I don't care for people who seem arrogant enough to judge people they barely know. Generalizations....tsk.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']What's your point? You say otaku have a sense self-importance, but you're just being a hypocrite because you clearly have one too. You think you're better because your knowledge of Asian langauge and culture comes from a more "pure" place. Grow up. Stop pretending like this is more than someone liking something that you don't.[/QUOTE]

No I don't. I don't actually have anything against anime or people who like it, etc. I have a problem with otakus because most of them are educated in Japan only from "historical" anime and Wikipedia and they act like they're "cultural" because of it. The good thing about them? They're into Asians and some of them are hot. I win there.

I come off as hateful because I don't get much of a chance to rant about otakus. Plenty of them are good people and plenty of them are sensible about their Japan interest. I don't feel superior because my Asian-ness comes from a "pure" place. I merely get annoyed (sometimes very) at people who assert their "knowledge" on Japan and believe themselves superior and/or intellectual because of it. I've known and made acquaintances of otakus in Texas, Chicago and North Carolina and the vast majority of my experience has been disappointing. I have one or two examples of level-headed otakus for every ten stories of horrifyingly ignorant ones.

I recently met an otaku who was going on about how English was the best language and so easy to learn and criticized foreigners for being unable to grasp English perfectly. When I refuted, she eventually got so angry that she admitted that she didn't care about the Japanese and that they were stupid for being so bad at English and accused me of putting her down because she was in a community college and I was at a state university. And I don't argue nearly as abrasively in real life as I do on the internet.

Whether I have a sense of self-importance or not, those otakus I describe have a sense of self-importance that's stupidly ridiculous and not at all justified. Those otakus I described aren't very subtle about it either.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']LOL...still coming up with something antagonistic. If one who likes anime to ANY degree (small or big) is considered an otaku, then so be it. In my mind, an otaku is someone who has watched a voluminous amount of anime and could answer trivial questions with ease. By the way, I despise shows like Naruto, Dragonball Z and the like. I enjoy certain anime shows just like any other genre. Again, you don't know me personally.

I wouldn't mind learning their culture in terms of what you just described. I just don't know what useful materials to get or have yet to ask one for such advice. There's so much out there to learn and so little time.

Geez, this is just a DS title (not a game) I picked up for cheap. If it's a flawed tool in your opinion, then ok. I didn't come here to tell everyone that it's a must-have for proper education or whatever. I just wanted to practice some words for fun....is that so bad? Sure, there are better ways to do it. I do regret not taking Japanese in college (took German instead for some required liberal arts credit). That would have been fun.

If you come up with yet another hostile response, then that'll be the end of this. I don't care for people who seem arrogant enough to judge people they barely know. Generalizations....tsk.[/QUOTE]

This is the internet. Get over "being judged." You gave me information and I responded to what you posted. People are naturally more antagonistic over the internet because a lot of social barriers are removed/changed. Am I being a troll right now? Slightly. Only in that there's no need for me to be so harsh and/or antagonistic. Sure, you don't really sound like an otaku. Honestly, you were just the vessel for my otaku hate.

Okay, okay. Everyone needs to calm down. No one is smarter than anyone else here. Let's just return to discussing the value of this game.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Okay, okay. Everyone needs to calm down. No one is smarter than anyone else here. Let's just return to discussing the value of this game.[/QUOTE]

There is very little value. If you're willing to pay $20 to buy practice that you could get in more stimulating and useful ways on your own (a good way is saying what you're doing throughout the day in the language you're practicing). If you need to get it, the only thing it can be useful for is practice and that's pretty much it.

[quote name='martyback']There is very little value. If you're willing to pay $20 to buy practice that you could get in more stimulating and useful ways on your own (a good way is saying what you're doing throughout the day in the language you're practicing). If you need to get it, the only thing it can be useful for is practice and that's pretty much it.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll buy this game in hopes of it impressing me enough to gain an interest in learning Japanese. I've taken lessons but got bored and didn't want to continue. Hopefully this will push me past that point.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']I think I'll buy this game in hopes of it impressing me enough to gain an interest in learning Japanese. I've taken lessons but got bored and didn't want to continue. Hopefully this will push me past that point.[/QUOTE]

lol, are you serious? You think this game will somehow inspire you to take on an entire language that has 3 different sets of characters, a very particular focus on separating formal/informal speech, the most differences in speaking between males and females (hiragana was originally a script made only for females) and is, well, an entirely different language?

I mean, go ahead and buy it, it's ultimately your choice but don't expect too much.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Okay, okay. Everyone needs to calm down. No one is smarter than anyone else here. Let's just return to discussing the value of this game.[/QUOTE]

And I don't care for people who seem arrogant enough to tell others to calm down... ;) I am genuinely surprised to find myself mildly annoyed and defensive enough to make a few responses....in fact I think it's the first time I've ever done that in any forum. I s'pose I'm still a newbie in a sense....

As for value, it's currently 44.88 on Amazon... :razz:

bread's done
Back