Using direct x 8 on cracked game.

supermikeman

CAG Veteran
I downloaded a cracked copy of a couple of valve games so I could play them offline if I wanted (Still own an original etc.) I usually set the launch options to directx 8 on steam so my games will play together. I'd like to do that with my cracked game but I don't know how to change the launch options. I'm running vista 32 bit so you know my OS and what options are available for that.

Basically what I'm asking in a nutshell is how do I do that without steam. (The game is valve like I said so it should be able to do that.) Now that i think about it is there maybe a console command in game that might help it work?

Well don't you have balls.

You have intrigued me with your question. Not for cracked steam games but for programs in general. The command line option for dx in steam is -dxlevel #, so -dxlevel 80 would be directx 8.

I'm guessing you add -dxlevel 80 on the end of your shortcut similar to running a game in windowed mode. Right click your shortcut, go to the end of the "target" field in the shortcut tab, add a space then add the -dxlevel 80.

No clue if it'll work and this thread will probably be closed so good luck.

Tried your idea. It didn't work but its not a bad idea. I think the problem with it is it may be that I'm using a command that would work on steam but doesn't work with the shortcut. I'm not sure. I might have to access the launch file. I've been playing the games decently without changing it but they lag and its much faster with dx8

How is Windows XP 32 bit hindering you? Or is it the hardware that can only run Direct X 8.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. OP sounds like he just pirated some games and is trying to cover it up and get us to help him run them. OP, Steam is perfectly capable of running in Offline mode.

[quote name='halfbent']I have chortles. Steam games can be played offline without downloading cracked versions. ;)[/QUOTE]
Actully sometimes steam makes you go online to start it's offline mode.

The only time I've had issues with it is when I forget to turn on Offline mode before I actually take off with the laptop. =\

bread's done
Back