- - - - -

The Witcher 1 $5 at GOG.com, FINAL DAY. Ends Tuesday, EARLY.

#31 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:49 AM

I got a $5 steam copy in the last sale, and I'm planning on picking up a second copy from GOG to play instead.

The steam version is just really messily thrown together, all the director's edition "extras" thrown in a folder deep in the game's steamapps directory, every voice over language file included by default, and all required to be downloaded and remain installed as part of the game. It requires 14GB, largely because of extras and unused files. I don't think much effort was put into packaging it up for Steam at all.

It's 10 or 11 Gigs even without the languages, as I recall.

I own a physical copy and a Steam copy, but I might get it on GOG too, just to support the devs and see it on my GOG shelf. This is my all-time favorite RPG.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Livestreaming: Follow me on Twitch and Beam

#32 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2084 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

guess i'll get it from GOG then.
hmm but Witcher2 is a different story right, will Steam be better?

#33 aznguyen316   Rock Chalk CAGiversary!   3226 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

aznguyen316

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

^steam is said to have achievements and cloud

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
4790K + GTX 1080 custom loop 1440p/144Hz

#34 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2084 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

i'll do what the above suggests: when steam has Witcher 2 on sale, i'll double-dip

#35 GlassAgate   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   436 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

GlassAgate

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Is the "Enhanced Edition" the uncensored version?

#36 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Where'd you read that?

And yes, Enhanced Edition is uncensored as of version 1.5.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#37 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

No.

Look at the store page. There are no achievements. There is no icon for Steam cloud, just "Single Player", and "Downloadable Content" (which is the premium stuff from the Enhanced Edition).

Steam Achievements and Cloud saves are primarily on Valve games, 3rd party games using Steamworks (i.e. Steam-required), and casual games. The Witcher is none of these.

Doesn't mean it's a bad game or anything - one of the strengths of this game is that it comes from a small developer and breaks the mold.

I understand getting it from Steam so that it's in your Steam library, all nice and tidy, but more and more I'm seeing good deals at D2D, GOG, the EA and Ubi stores, and even Impulse. I now have catalogs at all of these sites (well, not Ubi). Embracing them was a smaller hurdle than embracing Steam in the first place. After all, I am a CAG! 8-)

#38 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

I'm actually going to buy the retail version of The Witcher 2. If it required the disc to stay in the drive I would go digital, but it doesn't. I really don't buy retail PC games any more, yet I love The Witcher so much that it's nice to have some physical goods.

Still, if it had real Steam support, I'd just get the Steam version. Since it doesn't, it's no contest.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#39 cheapo72   Run, you pigeons! CAGiversary!   1357 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

No.

Look at the store page.

Though it is not reflected on the store page at the moment, the Steam version of TW2 is going to have achievements & cloud saves. The store pages are often missing some feature data before release.

#40 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

Though it is not reflected on the store page at the moment, the Steam version of TW2 is going to have achievements & cloud saves. The store pages are often missing some feature data before release.

Argh, apparently this is true according to these two sources:

_Ynx522jesY
Minute 13:19

and

http://www.destructo...al-188044.phtml

Now I have to get both the Steam and retail versions. Silly me.

Edited by eastx, 09 May 2011 - 09:27 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#41 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Right - but we're talking about the first Witcher game, not the new one. The discussion about cloud, achievements, auto-update, etc starting with wilflare's post on page 2, about the first Witcher game:

should I get this over Steam?
I'll miss the Cloud-Saving, Achievements, Auto-update and Gametime recording

But yes, it would be great if the new one has steam-activated features, but we don't know that today. Maybe tomorrow.:)

Wait, you said that with some confidence, about the new one having achievements. Are you sure of this? What's your source? Great news if true.

Edited by gcorlett, 09 May 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#42 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2084 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

ah. sorry guys.
think i confused everyone. i did not mean to say that Witcher has those features.
those are general steam features that i thought comes with Steam's Witcher too.
but for certainty, i'll miss auto-update, gametime recording and having all my games in one place.

#43 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8917 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

Wait, you said that with some confidence, about the new one having achievements. Are you sure of this? What's your source? Great news if true.

I posted two sources after he said that.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central

#44 gcorlett   For reals. CAGiversary!   703 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

I posted two sources after he said that.

Ding - got it. Thanks! And awesome.

#45 buckythekat   dv8 King of Concerns CAGiversary!   3211 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

buckythekat

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

it's live

#46 Morandor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   42 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Morandor

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

it is live, i thought it was tomorrow! in for 1 actually scratch that I'll wait till tomorrow and order witcher 1 and 2 together.

#47 SeanTM22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1049 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:17 AM

Hmmm... game wont download

#48 wilflare   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2084 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

awesome.. thinking if i should sink my cash though

#49 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hmmm... game wont download

Same here. I was able to purchase it but it won't download through either the GOG downloader or the browser.

Killbomb.png

#50 Morandor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   42 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Morandor

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:29 AM

false start I guess

#51 j-cart   PAPER TRAILS on a mountain CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:58 AM

So I shouldn't press accept on paypal just yet?

#52 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

So I shouldn't press accept on paypal just yet?

I think it's safe to go ahead and purchase it now. The game might be not be available til the morning though. GOG seems like a reputable company so I don't think anyone that's already bought it will get screwed.

Killbomb.png

#53 j-cart   PAPER TRAILS on a mountain CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

Paid. I'm in the GOG downloader and I can't sign in. I'll try tomorrow.

#54 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Paid. I'm in the GOG downloader and I can't sign in. I'll try tomorrow.

In one of the posts on their forum from earlier today, they said it would be available at 1:00 PM Polish time which is 7:00 AM EDT. Hopefully it won't be a whole lot later than that. I'd like to at least start the download before going to bed around 6:00 CDT. :D

EDIT: The GOG downloader is working now. It's downloading very quickly as well.

Edited by Killbomb, 10 May 2011 - 05:58 AM.

Killbomb.png

#55 NeoGutsman   CAG Backlogger CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

Paid and now downloading via the latest GOG downloader. I live near Seattle (-8:00 PST).

I already own this via a different online service (ImpulseDriven) as well as the DVD version (had to have the guide in physical form because I'm tactile like that :D) and now the DRM-free GOG version. I almost never do this for games, but it's been worth it to support GOG, CD Projekt and The Witcher series in general. FWIW, I bought each version dirt-cheap on sale, so I'm still a CAG ;)

EDIT: Looks like GOG also provided us with higher-quality versions of many of the goodies I originally got from my Impulse purchase. Not only are the manual, guide, and maps higher-quality (and larger file size), the manual and guide's pdf's pages are broken up into nice, separate pages. My Impulse versions stuck two pages into one, making iPad and even monitor viewing annoying. Further, the soundtrack is 256kbps for the GOG version versus 192kbps for the Impulse version (makes a difference for those of us with nicer mp3 players and headphones/IEMs ;D).

This isn't to say that Impulse or any other digital download service gave us a bad version or they're a bad service (I've purchased quite a few games from them and I have no problems recommending them if they have a solid sale for a game, not to mention their awesome Fences application), just that GOG went that little extra mile for the fans yet again. It may be that

Edited by NeoGutsman, 10 May 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#56 omyard   dreaming neon black CAGiversary!   843 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

I remember when I worked at Best Buy when it came out and it looked pretty cool. One of the few PC games that interested me, but never picked up. So $5 for it is a deal.

It's a bummer I'm sending my iMac back tomorrow cause I really want to play this. Just have a to wait a few weeks until I get the new iMac back and can install it then.

#57 j-cart   PAPER TRAILS on a mountain CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

Now downloading. Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

#58 wasabi5858   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1502 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I love what GOG is doing and while I already have this game on steam, gotta add this to my collection of games from gog.com!

Must get if you love RPG.

#59 Hawkamania   I Ride YOLO! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Hawkamania

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:46 AM

Been looking to get this game and couldn't resist the great price along with everything it includes.

#60 United_Korea   Gunpla Addict CAGiversary!   1128 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

United_Korea

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

i see that the browser downloads are in separate parts. what do i do once i download all the parts?

Final Fantasy XV is the most disappointing game ever made.