The Witcher 1 $5 at GOG.com, FINAL DAY. Ends Tuesday, EARLY.

gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Update: GOG says This deal ends 5/24 at 6:59 AM EDT.

Good Old Games dropped this in my inbox this morning:

asw_14.jpg

In celebration (?) of the release of The Witcher 2, they are selling The Witcher: Enhanced Edition May 10-24 for $5.

Before someone asks, no, you can't activate The Witcher or The Witcher 2 on Steam if you buy it elsewhere.

Yes, this game has been $5 on Steam before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great for those folks who missed out when it was $5 on Steam. Also great because it's DRM-free and the money goes directly to the devs (as they own GoG).

Looking forward to playing this again! I played it a long time ago and lost my save through various reformats. Definitely want to play through again and import those saves into the sequel. :D

OP, you might want to update the topic with the actual time frame of when it will be on sale for $4.99. It's going to be $4.99 from May 10 to May 24.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/the_witcher_coming_soon_pre_download_the_sequel_before_release

Of course it would be better to buy it sooner rather than later, but it will be that price for a good couple of weeks at least (for those who can't buy it right away). I'm still going to buy this even though this'll be the fourth copy of The Witcher I'll have purchased to date. But hey, I don't mind supporting one of my favorite companies. ;)

Damn, I just bought the physical copy edition from Amazon for $12.99 to be delivered Monday so I can play this game before part 2. :cry:

The Witcher is outstanding.
Everybody who missed this game and loves RPG's - you gotta' get it from GOG!! :)
NO DRM in that version and you'll get some of those typical nice GOG extras.

Also if you do prefer a physical version you can easily get rid of the drm and have the ability to play the game without the disc with a few patches.

I'm going to be picking this sucker up. I've had a disc copy since release way back in they but installing it is such a bitch. There are about 10 different downloads to bring it up to the great Enhanced Edition Director's Cut release and five dollars is worth the convenience of no-DRM and patch shenanigans. That, and I need to play it again before I start Witcher 2 so I can transfer my save.

hmm but what's wrong with Steam's DRM? it's pretty alright ain't

and.. how does this game compare to Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Ed.
I didn't enjoy Dragon Age..

[quote name='raccoon2k']I'm going to be picking this sucker up. I've had a disc copy since release way back in they but installing it is such a bitch. There are about 10 different downloads to bring it up to the great Enhanced Edition Director's Cut release and five dollars is worth the convenience of no-DRM and patch shenanigans. That, and I need to play it again before I start Witcher 2 so I can transfer my save.[/QUOTE]

+1 Will be repurchasing from GoG.

[quote name='wilflare']is this worth getting over the Steam version (i'm guessing they will have a promo too)[/QUOTE]

I got a $5 steam copy in the last sale, and I'm planning on picking up a second copy from GOG to play instead.

The steam version is just really messily thrown together, all the director's edition "extras" thrown in a folder deep in the game's steamapps directory, every voice over language file included by default, and all required to be downloaded and remain installed as part of the game. It requires 14GB, largely because of extras and unused files. I don't think much effort was put into packaging it up for Steam at all.

I'm sure the GOG version will have a lot more care put into it, especially with the close overlap between GOG and the developers.

is the gog.com downloader pretty reliable (i.e. no corrupt files, pausing and resuming, etc.)? also, will it run on my radeon 4350 with a quad-core cpu?

[quote name='mentos888']is the gog.com downloader pretty reliable (i.e. no corrupt files, pausing and resuming, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

I think it's only been out a few days, so I'm sure it has a few kinks to work out. But I've tried it and it seems okish. It supports pause and resume. It lets you choose where to place the downloaded installer, and seems to make a new folder per game. It's now a small, self-contained, native win32 program (the old GOG downloader was an Adobe Air app).

File corruption on downloads is more a sign of failing hardware, and all a downloader can really do about that is perform checksums of downloads and automatically redownload if a file is corrupt. The downloader claims to be doing an "integrity check" at the end of the download, but I'm not sure how fine-grained the checksuming is (to allow for finer-grained redownloading), or what action it takes if the integrity check fails (automatic download, warning dialog, etc).

It seems to be a multi-part/multi-connection downloader, so it gets very fast download speeds. Unfortunately it seems to save into multiple 10MB "chunk" files and then copy everything into a single file at the end, which will be bad for disk fragmentation (most multi-part downloaders allocate a single full-size file at the beginning to avoid this).

After the download, it can save you a few clicks in Windows explorer by launching the installer for you, and it can also handle deleting the installer from disk after. Any of the extras you want still have to be downloaded "manually" through a browser, as far as I can tell.

Honestly, you don't gain too much over just using the website, except for the speed of the multi-part downloading (since they seem to have changed their server behaviour to no longer allow third-party multi-part downloaders), and fewer clicks when downloading a game large enough to be split into multiple downloads (GOG splits downloads up if they're bigger than 2GB).

[quote name='mentos888']also, will it run on my radeon 4350 with a quad-core cpu?[/QUOTE]
Ouf, depending on which resolution you'll play it, it will definitely be choppy at 1680x1050 even at low details. I once tried the game on a GeForce 6600 (in terms of brute strength it should be about the same as the 4350), and it was horrible.

I'd suggest investing in at least a XFX GT 240 which will let you play at medium details: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150475&Tpk=XFX GT 240

[quote name='wilflare']should I get this over Steam?
I'll miss the Cloud-Saving, Achievements, Auto-update and Gametime recording[/QUOTE]

The only features that the Steam version of The Witcher has is play time recording and auto updates (and I doubt any more updates are coming out for the game). The GOG version has no DRM and comes with more extras so it seems like the best version of the game to date IMO.

Remember GOG lets you just keep the installer exe with no internet requirements or anything, and that counts for something. Install whenever, where ever.

GOG is also owned by CD Projekt, sister company to CD Projekt RED who made The Witcher, (I think that's how it goes)so they get your direct support. :)

All profits from GoG goes straight to the developers for Witcher and Witcher 2. They deserve it. No DRM because GoG is in house with the developers.

[quote name='bitter1961']I got a $5 steam copy in the last sale, and I'm planning on picking up a second copy from GOG to play instead.

The steam version is just really messily thrown together, all the director's edition "extras" thrown in a folder deep in the game's steamapps directory, every voice over language file included by default, and all required to be downloaded and remain installed as part of the game. It requires 14GB, largely because of extras and unused files. I don't think much effort was put into packaging it up for Steam at all.
[/QUOTE]

It's 10 or 11 Gigs even without the languages, as I recall.

I own a physical copy and a Steam copy, but I might get it on GOG too, just to support the devs and see it on my GOG shelf. This is my all-time favorite RPG.

[quote name='aznguyen316']^steam is said to have achievements and cloud[/QUOTE]

Where'd you read that?

And yes, Enhanced Edition is uncensored as of version 1.5.

[quote name='aznguyen316']^steam is said to have achievements and cloud[/QUOTE]

No.

Look at the store page. There are no achievements. There is no icon for Steam cloud, just "Single Player", and "Downloadable Content" (which is the premium stuff from the Enhanced Edition).

Steam Achievements and Cloud saves are primarily on Valve games, 3rd party games using Steamworks (i.e. Steam-required), and casual games. The Witcher is none of these.

Doesn't mean it's a bad game or anything - one of the strengths of this game is that it comes from a small developer and breaks the mold.

I understand getting it from Steam so that it's in your Steam library, all nice and tidy, but more and more I'm seeing good deals at D2D, GOG, the EA and Ubi stores, and even Impulse. I now have catalogs at all of these sites (well, not Ubi). Embracing them was a smaller hurdle than embracing Steam in the first place. After all, I am a CAG! :cool:

I'm actually going to buy the retail version of The Witcher 2. If it required the disc to stay in the drive I would go digital, but it doesn't. I really don't buy retail PC games any more, yet I love The Witcher so much that it's nice to have some physical goods.

Still, if it had real Steam support, I'd just get the Steam version. Since it doesn't, it's no contest.

[quote name='gcorlett']No.

Look at the store page.[/QUOTE]

Though it is not reflected on the store page at the moment, the Steam version of TW2 is going to have achievements & cloud saves. The store pages are often missing some feature data before release.

[quote name='cheapo72']Though it is not reflected on the store page at the moment, the Steam version of TW2 is going to have achievements & cloud saves. The store pages are often missing some feature data before release.[/QUOTE]

Argh, apparently this is true according to these two sources:

[youtube]_Ynx522jesY[/youtube]
Minute 13:19

and

http://www.destructoid.com/the-witcher-2-pre-order-details-and-drm-free-gog-deal-188044.phtml

Now I have to get both the Steam and retail versions. Silly me.

[quote name='cheapo72']Though it is not reflected on the store page at the moment, the Steam version of TW2 is going to have achievements & cloud saves. The store pages are often missing some feature data before release.[/QUOTE]

Right - but we're talking about the first Witcher game, not the new one. The discussion about cloud, achievements, auto-update, etc starting with wilflare's post on page 2, about the first Witcher game:

[quote name='wilflare']should I get this over Steam?
I'll miss the Cloud-Saving, Achievements, Auto-update and Gametime recording[/QUOTE]

But yes, it would be great if the new one has steam-activated features, but we don't know that today. Maybe tomorrow.:)

Wait, you said that with some confidence, about the new one having achievements. Are you sure of this? What's your source? Great news if true.

ah. sorry guys.
think i confused everyone. i did not mean to say that Witcher has those features.
those are general steam features that i thought comes with Steam's Witcher too.
but for certainty, i'll miss auto-update, gametime recording and having all my games in one place.

[quote name='gcorlett']
Wait, you said that with some confidence, about the new one having achievements. Are you sure of this? What's your source? Great news if true.[/QUOTE]

I posted two sources after he said that.

it is live, i thought it was tomorrow! in for 1 actually scratch that I'll wait till tomorrow and order witcher 1 and 2 together.

[quote name='SeanTM22']Hmmm... game wont download[/QUOTE]

Same here. I was able to purchase it but it won't download through either the GOG downloader or the browser.

bread's done
Back