Nier - best buy - 9.99 - PS3 - 360 (?) - YMMV

blitzbllmstr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yeah I know this has been on sale / clearance at Kmart and TRU for 14.99. I did a quick search and didn't see anything in any thread mentioning the 9.99 price at Best Buy.

marking it as YMMV until someone else can back me up that its chain wide. They had it in the discount / budget game section it was behind a couple other games and last copy they had.

decent price for a somewhat decent rpg, something to pass the time until psn is back up. :drool:

edit: the copy that I got was for the PS3, they didn't even have a spot for the 360 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is nier any good. Id pick it up for 6.99 or 9.99 if its any good. Cuz if its just a filler game.....

[quote name='L0sther0']Is nier any good. Id pick it up for 6.99 or 9.99 if its any good. Cuz if its just a filler game.....[/QUOTE]

Great story, characters, and boss battles. Can replay the game 4 times since each time you get a new ending.

The side quests are mostly filler crap and non bosses can get repetitive. Great game for $10, even $20.

[quote name='L0sther0']Is nier any good. Id pick it up for 6.99 or 9.99 if its any good. Cuz if its just a filler game.....[/QUOTE]

It's nierly good but not quite good. ;) Not bad for $10 or less though.

I stopped at TRU yesterday in Goodyear, AZ. I found NIER for $9.98 + TRU was having an additional 30% off clearance games (games that end in "8" or "0"). I think it was around $6.99 + tax. I also picked up Dead to Rights: Retribution for the same price. Not bad for getting 2 games for under $16. (YMMV) Good luck!

** PRICES WERE GOOD FOR BOTH 360 & PS3 **

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really questioning a few dollars for a great JRPG? =\

[quote name='frpilot']which version is better? ps3 or xbox?[/QUOTE]
360 was the lead platform when they developed Gestalt (which is just the western world's regular ol' NIER), Replicant came later when they decided they needed sales from obese yaoi fangirls & people scared of muscles.

This is my favorite JRPG of the gen. Sure it looks like garbage visually, but the soundtrack is phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9neKytUaKKQ

Give it a listen. The game's bosses are all very interesting, and the second playthrough will show you a different perspective on the game that has the potential for tear shedding. Don't come for the gameplay or the graphics, but if you want an excellent story and soundtrack, get it right now. There hasn't ever been a game I've loved enough to beat it 4 times back to back for all the endings.

Wouldn't mind picking this up... I've heard conflicting reviews about it but for $10 (or even better, $7) it's definitely worth a shot for me. On the BB website it looks like it's in-stock at a couple of the Best Buys near me but shows up as $20. TRU site is showing it for $10 but I can't figure out how to tell if it's in-stock near me. Is there a way to check the stock at specific TRU stores (other than calling)?

[quote name='brkptr']Wouldn't mind picking this up... I've heard conflicting reviews about it but for $10 (or even better, $7) it's definitely worth a shot for me. On the BB website it looks like it's in-stock at a couple of the Best Buys near me but shows up as $20. TRU site is showing it for $10 but I can't figure out how to tell if it's in-stock near me. Is there a way to check the stock at specific TRU stores (other than calling)?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm biased, but I would try this review.

http://rpgfan.com/reviews/Nier/index2.html

RPGFan is usually pretty spot on with their reviews. They only do one genre so they only have to compare to other RPGs.

IGN gave it a 7/10, but said that it is aiming for a niche audience which may put some off.

Lousy graphic design, lousy gameplay, some alright bosses but nothing special. Plot is clever in places but in most others, it is so crassly emotionally manipulative that the game ended up cracking me up in pretty much every scene from the last dungeon on through the second playthrough when it aimed to elicit tears. People claim that this game has great emotion but I simply do not and never will see it. It's crude and unsubtle. The soundtrack too seems to be an endless competition to see which song can be the most grandiose, a word I only use because 'epic' is so poisoned.

Four playthroughs is an overstatement. The second playthrough, which begins at the halfway point, includes new narration (Why they required us to play this dismal game a second time, I'll never understand...) but the third and fourth add nothing but a divergence at the end.

Overrated as hell, but for $10-$15, you're not going that wrong. As much as I savaged it, the game is only KINDA a waste of time rather than a huge once so I say go for it. You might be one of the millions of people on the internet who likes the mindless constant refrain of OMG SO SAD. (Dammit, sorry, I did not want to part with an insult but I am still jilted by this game.) If it at all interests you, you may as well go for it. The voice acting and translation is phenomenal. Weiss is just acted exceptionally well and is a hoot, and some of the character play actually works. When Nier works story-wise, it actually is quite nice. Just a shame about everything else.

And BB clearances are always YMMV so you probably won't even score on this.

The game was pretty much bashed by critics while many JRPG fans praised it. While it is not the best JRPG (or action game, it intertwines the two) it is at least entertaining. To be completely honest, it was probably one of the best games I've ever bought for 10 dollars. The game is repeative, not very pretty to look at, and you are constantly going back to the same places, but most JRPG fans have probably played much worse. I'd say bite on it if you have been waiting for a JRPG come around or just want to kill some time. =)

I saw this deal in several best buys in NYC. Its worth picking up at this price and the game is not as bad as people make it out to be.

I got my copy a long time ago for $19.99 at K-Mart a while back, and even for that price I'd say it's worth it. Anything over $20 isn't really worth it though.

bread's done
Back