I think I just bought a fake Xbox hard drive

rbanke

CAGiversary!
So I bought a 4gb 360 an a separate 250gb hard drive from amazon a few days ago (drive in question http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0JDC6/ref=cm_rdp_product ). Today I received the drive but became suspicious when I opened it because there was no instructions or any sort of paper work (the package was sealed). I'm having trouble determining if it's fake or not though. I found this thread on Google that seems to suggest mine might be fake http://p-town.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=150 . The one I have looks just like the picture of the back (scroll down a few posts), even the numbers are all the same. I'm assuming the smallest number would be the serial number, and mine is the same as this guy's picture, which would surely mean it's a fake. Can anyone give me some help with this? I'm new to Xbox in general and don't know about potential downsides to using a fake drive.

Mainly worried about reliability and the potential to be banned in the future ( i know it hasn't happend yet).

If I'm not mistaken, OEM Xbox HDDs have a special partition that's used for backwards compatibility with original Xbox games, so you could test by putting in an original Xbox game and seeing if it plays.

I've seen a lot of second-hand reports on forums about users with knock-off hard drives getting banned from Live, but I have no idea if that's true or just a rumor.

Frankly though, if you have any reason to suspect that it's not an OEM drive, I would just send it back to Amazon. No reason to chance it, especially if you paid the same price that you would have for an official drive anyway. Did you buy it from Amazon proper or from a Marketplace seller?

Well based on the thread I linked I decided to contact the seller, he was super cool about it and said if its counterfeit he wants to know & claims he just drop ships this stuff from a distributer. He's offered to pay for return shipping and give a full refund. I think I'll do that and just buy it from Target for a few bucks more lol. Thanks for the replies

Did it come in a retail package that looks like the one pictured on the Amazon link you put in your OP?

Chances if you didn't buy it directly from Amazon, it's very likely to be a fake.

[quote name='shrike4242']Did it come in a retail package that looks like the one pictured on the Amazon link you put in your OP?

Chances if you didn't buy it directly from Amazon, it's very likely to be a fake.[/QUOTE]

It looks exactly like that picture, however there is no writing on one side where (from what I can remember from what Ive seen at retail) there should be, also there was no manual inserts or any inserts at all. It's a damn good fake and if i wasn't such a nerd, id probably not have known.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']You go on with ya bad self![/QUOTE]

I believe I will, thank you for your endorsement of going on!

bread's done
Back