Starhawk - Out Now - Sequel to Warhawk - 9/20: Coming to PSN! SP Free for PS+! 1.04!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
The Starhawk Universe is set in the distant future out in the far reaches of Space where two factions a colony of humans known as the Rifters, and the Outcast, a ruthless species of humans mutated into psychotic monsters by the Rift Energy, a dangerous resource both factions are battling over. Starhawk puts the player in the boots of Emmett Graves a hired gunslinger ostracised from society due to his own exposure to Rift Energy, leaving him partially mutated, but still able to retain his humanity. Taking on the powerful role of Graves the player will be drawn back to his home settlement of White Sands on the planet Dust to face a mysterious outlaw and his band of Outcast warriors to only find out that this assignment may mean more to him than he could ever imagine. He will soon find out that his family is involved in the clash between the Outcast and the Rifters and therefore must decide between those close to him and those he swore to protect.

Starhawk’s features a host of weaponry and a multitude of vehicles for fast paced action combat combined with intense vehicular warfare on both land and air. The game’s innovative Build & Battle system lets players alter the on screen action by giving them the ability to change the dynamic of the battlefield instantly with a selection of base structures at their disposal, all while in the midst of the fight. By the touch of a button players can deploy a number of buildings, vehicles, or fire power to strategically complete mission objectives and defeat enemies. Through the sophisticated architecture of the PS3 system, the instantaneous customisation that Build & Battle provides, as well as this breadth of gameplay that spans multiple modes is made possible.

Utilising state-of-the-art visual technologies, the development team has made every effort to give players the realistic feel of actually being on the battlegrounds with vibrant characters and environments, coupled with dynamic lighting effects. Starhawk also boasts a strong online mode where users can battle head-to-head in epic 32 player matches, up to four player online and offline co-operative play, and split-screen gameplay within multiplayer and co-op modes against an endless attack of enemies, in addition to a full-fledged single-player story mode with various missions set in a number of diverse interstellar environments.

Additionally, Starhawk employs a host of online community features that allows players to be always connected, all the time, including tournaments, leaderboards, and clan support with additional friends list and quick match options. Players can keep up to date with the community events calendar, ticker tape updates, and a Starhawk Android app that will allow users to keep track of friends, clan mates, and stats when not online.
Videos
GameTrailers TV Episode - Here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1Ee7awZes
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/713764.html

Companion App

I am very pleased to announce the official companion mobile application for our PS3 shooter Starhawk is now available on iOS and Android devices. With the Starhawk Uplink app you can easily check out detailed player and clan stats, while staying current on the all of the latest Starhawk announcements and community news/events, all on the go, anytime, anywhere. Here are links to download the app…

Android devices
iOS devices

Once you’ve downloaded the Starhawk Uplink to your mobile device, you’ll find a wealth of information available on all of the player weapons, Hawk weapons, and Build & Battle structures.

The Starhawk Uplink app is totally free, and it’s a way for diehard players to always stay in touch with Starhawk. And for those of you who haven’t picked up a copy of Starhawk yet, you can still pull down this app and learn more about the game and the exciting community of Starhawk followers. Here’s a look at our Starhawk Uplink trailer…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfLrfZV_vE

Features include:
  • Access to clan information: You can view your clan invitations, clan leaderboards and statistics, and search for new clans to join or challenge.
  • View player and weapon stats: You can view your player and weapon stats from all of your online action in Starhawk.
  • Track other players: Want to see how your stats compare? Look at stats for your PSN friends, clanmates, and other players you meet online.
  • View the Starhawk leaderboards: See how you rank against your friends, clanmates, and the rest of the Starhawk community.
  • Access Starhawk community strongholds: You can link to various Starhawk social sites, as well as directly link to gameplay videos and other Starhawk community-driven sites.
  • Browse The Armory: An encyclopedia of information on all troop and Hawk weapons and Build & Battle structures.
  • Stay up to date: Our news ticker and game announcements section ensure that you are completely up to date on all the latest and greatest Starhawk news.
  • The Starhawk Uplink runs on the following devices: iTouch, iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S, as well as all versions of iPad and Android devices, including the Sony Tablet S and Sony Xperia Play mobile phone and all Gingerbread Android devices. Kindle Fire support is coming soon.

Go download the free Starhawk Uplink and an edge over your fellow Starhawk players! Lastly, we just deployed another great balance update on PSN for our Starhawk fans around the world! To see all of the great stuff included in this week’s release of update 1.02.002, check out our latest LightBox Interactive developer blog here.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/14/starhawk-mobile-uplink-available-on-android-and-ios-now/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Emmitt Smith as a digital hero.

Not sure I'm feeling the freelancer vibe over the more military squads of the first game. But once I get to blow stuff up, doubt I'll care.

AWWW YES!!!

My friend was soo pissed at me because I got the "Presidential Meritorious Conduct" only because he took the heat off of me while I went around capping zones. It is the only ribbon he never got :D

Starhawk: Who would have thought Americans would be the first to make an awesome robot/air combat MP game?

/edit: Going to miss the Warhawk intro theme in the clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rVjMPDdRY&feature=related

[quote name='j-cart']AWWW YES!!!

My friend was soo pissed at me because I got the "Presidential Meritorious Conduct" only because he took the heat off of me while I went around capping zones. It is the only ribbon he never got :D

Starhawk: Who would have thought Americans would be the first to make an awesome robot/air combat MP game?

/edit: Going to miss the Warhawk intro theme in the clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rVjMPDdRY&feature=related[/QUOTE]

damn, I forgot how good that theme song was! I hope that one day, we can get another Warhawk game with a single player campaign.

[quote name='Thomas96']damn, I forgot how good that theme song was! I hope that one day, we can get another Warhawk game with a single player campaign.[/QUOTE]

We are. It's called "Starhawk" :D

Nothing beats holding down a zone by yourself with a healing drop. Hope to see dropship type vehicles and a much better mic support in Starhawk.

I'm just hoping the mechs don't weaken infantry combat too much. At least with plane vs soldier you could still survive, but these things look a lot more dangerous on the ground.

I also hope ground combat isnt nerfed. Love running around with a Soldier killing tanks and jeeps. Cant wait to see the whole squad back together.

I was tired last night, so I didn't make the connection but Build n' Battle reminds me of Battlezone 2 which was a hybrid tank combat/RTS/FPS.

Updated the OP with a few trailers and information from the press release. As for the modes it'll offer:

Starhawk also boasts a strong online mode where users can battle head-to-head in epic 32 player matches, up to four player online and offline co-operative play, and split-screen gameplay within multiplayer and co-op modes against an endless attack of enemies, in addition to a full-fledged single-player story mode with various missions set in a number of diverse interstellar environments.

I just hope this build a battle system is something every player can do, not just a team's decision. I would love to get points from killing shit then spend it on a mech at my leisure :D

This is the happiest I've been about a game since the day before Volition said "No Competitive Multiplayer in RFA." :lol:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I just hope this build a battle system is something every player can do, not just a team's decision. I would love to get points from killing shit then spend it on a mech at my leisure :D[/QUOTE]
From what I've read, it's a shared pool of money to spend on stuff that you or the team needs. There aren't any power-ups/weapons/vehicles placed on the maps, so you can either get that stuff from dead players or buy them yourself.

Here's the full episode of GT.TV if you want to see the everything they showed.

Needs more space and tanks.Where are the tanks?

More info:
  1. Weapons lock on automatically,no need to hold down L1 button. Auto-lock on with hawks*,machine gun,and rocket launcher.You just need to keep your target in your site.Need clarification on hawks lock on.
  2. Starting multi player you start barren.No vehicles or weapons. Each team gets a certain amount of rift to build a base,4x4 garage,turrets,gates and weapons bunker. So,team coordination is necessary.I can see people griefing this.Also,you can pick up weapons from dead allies or enemies.You can't go inside enemy weapons bunkers.Unless you follow them in.Building things around your spawn area cost less rift.
  3. You hold R2 button to run.You don't run atomatically like in Warhawk.
  4. You spawn by falling from the sky ala ODST.You can aim yourself to land on your enemies.You don't have much control over your pod.
  5. No more hover mode for hawks.Straight to mech mode.

[quote name='mrx001']
  1. you spawn by falling from the sky ala odst.you can aim yourself to land on your enemies.you don't have much control over your pod.
[/quote]

odst? For shame!!!!! ;)

Sadly, I still haven't played Warhawk on PS3 yet. I played the original back on the PS1 and loved it, but this does look like a pretty cool concept

Hmmm... so it has mechs, eh? I guess that's an upgrade over Warhawk, should put a wrinkle into ground combat. The game sounds somewhat like Starcraft in that you can build vehicle platforms/factories, might be cool.

The game sounds OK, but I'm not as excited yet as I was when I bought Warhwak at launch. But I'll bite if there's still some sort of Carmageddeon :whee:

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Hmmm... so it has mechs, eh? I guess that's an upgrade over Warhawk, should put a wrinkle into ground combat. The game sounds somewhat like Starcraft in that you can build vehicle platforms/factories, might be cool.

The game sounds OK, but I'm not as excited yet as I was when I bought Warhwak at launch. But I'll bite if there's still some sort of Carmageddeon :whee:[/QUOTE]

Yeah you transform your Hawk instead of going into hover mode. Was a little sad when I heard that. Hovering over a guy and peppering him with machine gun fire or nudging a jeep off a high ledge was always fun. Stomping out of the sky in a full suit sounds nice too.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/23/your-starhawk-questions-answered/

Dylan Jobe answered some common questions about Starhawk on the PS Blog:
I can’t believe I’m posting on the PlayStation Blog again. It’s been forever! So what’s new you ask? Well, let’s see, not too much — oh yeah, we announced Starhawk! *cough* Finally. *cough*

The team and I have been wicked happy with the response from the media and the fans so far. Seeing you guys excited makes all the late nights worth it! But, we still have a lot of work ahead of us so thanks for all of the positive energy. We all know a good reveal is just the first step in making our fans happy and we’re looking forward to showing you guys even more tasty Starhawk content and get you more plugged into the Starhawk universe! So the other day I asked all of you on Twitter to send me Starhawk questions that you wanted to get answered, and while we’re still planning on doing a full FAQ post here on the PlayStation.Blog, I wanted to take a few of the questions that were popular and answer them straight away. Here goes:

Does Starhawk have two flight modes?

YES. Initially we wanted to have Starhawk use only a single flight mode so that all players were unified. We worked a lot on this but ultimately decided that the needs of a newbie player and the needs of a hardcore Warhawk fan were just too far apart and we weren’t willing to make the compromises needed to jam everyone into a single flight mode. So…Starhawk has two flight modes and both are great! The default mode is very simple and great for new to mid-level players (and yes, reverse aiming issues have been fixed). It’s a re-vamped version of our “arcade mode” (but much better), thanks in part to a lot of play testing on it. The advanced mode is for players that want even more control while flying around in the Hawk. It’s just like Warhawk’s “pro mode” flight mode.

Server list or matchmaking?

In Starhawk you have both. Matchmaking is good for casual players that just want to be put into a game quickly, or for when we need to enforce that players are not “cheating” or stat padding or whatever you want to call it. It lets the Starhawk servers control which players get put into which games. That said, our fans LOVE it so we let you browse the custom “non-official” games through a server list. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Is Starhawk’s character camera new?

YES. We got a lot of questions from people that noticed from the video that there was a tight over-the-shoulder (OTS) camera in some of the shots. We still have a normal camera that is further away from the character, although it is a bit closer than what we had in Warhawk. However, this new OTS aiming mode is enabled when you zoom in with your weapon. It gives you a combat choice—you can do your normal run-and-gun at some cost of accuracy or you can go OTS for more accuracy, although you’ll be a bit slower.

Does Starhawk still use weapon pickups?

Hell yes! I was actually surprised that people were worried about this. It was interesting to see the Tweets from people who were scared that we might be going to a class-based load out approach. No! We still have pickups. And getting a weapon is not limited by rank. That kind of thing just doesn’t work for our type of gameplay. In fact, weapon pickups are an important part of Build & Battle. For example, If you want your team to have “snipers,” you can build lookout towers which include the sniper rifle pickup. Or, if you want some heavy weapons, you can build a supply bunker to get a rocket launcher and a shotgun. Now of course we are still in the process of tuning the game so things are always bound to change, but this should give you a good idea of where we’re headed.

Are there space environments?

100% YES. The outer space environment set that the art team here at LightBox Interactive has put together is really awesome. Super fun to play on and looks great. Some of the elements are still being worked on and we don’t want to show it untill we’re 100% happy with it. But since sooo many of you guys asked, Sony was okay with me at least telling you that Starhawk was not just about terrain battles. :)

There are a ton of other questions that you sent me and I will answer them as soon as I can, but for now, I wanted to get a little bit more info out to you all! Hopefully I’ll get to see some of you at E3 if you swing by to get your hands on Starhawk! Keep your eyes on the PlayStation.Blog and www.starhawkthegame.com for more updates, and if you’re interested in seeing behind the production curtain a bit, I often post behind the scenes pics of us making Starhawk on my Twitter account @dylanjobe, so check it out!

Okay, that’s really it for right now. Maybe I’ll include a puzzle with my next blog post—I promise it will be more challenging than the stuff I posted for Warhawk :p

[quote name='mrx001']
  1. No more hover mode for hawks.Straight to mech mode.
[/QUOTE]

aww man :(
aside from that all the additions are great, hopefully you won't die as much

I still think the mechs are stupid and so is Dylan Jobe for being a nerd and ripping off Firefly. Where the hell are my tanks?

bread's done
Back