Used Playstation 3 slim 160gb for $180 - worth it?

Mikerrrr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hi, I've been rummaging through craigslist for consoles, and I came upon a guy who's offering his used PS3 slim (160 gb) for $180. Looking up the hardware revisions, apparently the 160 gb models aren't even a year old.

I know that craigslist isn't the most reliable place, but I don't plan on purchasing one without going there and looking over things. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, so I'm going to check things out before I buy it. Instead of comments about how sketchy the site is, assuming that the console isn't a lemon somehow, and I don't get led into a guy's basement dungeon, is that a good price for a used PS3?

Another offer is a considerably older 40 gb PS3 for $120 -- how's that?

Keep in mind that until yesterday people couldn't get on PSN for the past month. I don't even know that it's up completely yet either. You could always bring people with you(people to watch your back) so you could check the equipment at his house. The GB one in my opinion isn't that great because if you were going to get a fat one you might as well get the one that had backwards PS2 compatibility. I think if they ever announce a software backwards compatibility for PS3 I will pick up a slim in a hearbeat.

As far as the price on the slim, 180 is pretty good. It's worth noting if you were able to get that coupon from gamestop somehow it's 100 dollars off a system and puts it in the same competitive price range but new. Details in this thread :
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294124

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, the gamestop code is what's stopping me from committing. Having said that, I'm primarily a PC gamer, and I haven't been to gamestop in years, and I'm certainly not a power up reward zone (or whatever it is) member. Does that change anything?

Sorry, put the correct link in there now. From what I'm reading it appears all PUR members will be eligible. It's free to sign up unless you want the PRO level which has stuff like discount on used games, bonus trade in, game informer magazine, etc. That's 15 dollars if I remember correctly. Definitely lots of info in that thread.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I saw in the thread that somebody who used the coupon paid $216 due to tax, which is still a ways away from the $175 cash that the craigslist guy is asking. Considering my odds of getting a coupon, I think I'd go with the craigslist offer. Or at least, I might -- I'm still waiting on more offers.

The thing is, he didn't have a price listed, only asking for a best offer. I said 160, and he said 180, and after a bit of haggling, the lowest he'll go is 175. That's a decent deal, but it's not quite what I was looking for. I'm mainly a PC gamer, and I want a PS3 to play the console exclusives I care about, and not much else.

Does anybody have tips on how to whittle down his offer?

If someone says $175 is the lowest they'll go, then I'd leave it at that, as they may have more offers on the table and are considering how much of a hassle each person making the offer is going to be.

So if you've already agreed on $175, just leave it at that and be happy you're getting a nearly new PS3 for almost 50% off retail.

As it stands, I've had a fully BC 60gb up on CL in my area for about the same price for a while now and I've had nothing but fakes and flakes bugging me on it. They say they want it and then a week later they drop off the face of the Earth. So it's looking like I'm going to keep it, which is fine with me since then I can play all the Playstation games in one spot.

I ended up getting it from him for $160. It's in excellent condition, and because it's the one of the two currently produced models, I'm not worried about it crapping out on me. Overall, I'd say $160 was a pretty solid deal.

bread's done
Back