Prince of Persia HD question

Spyder187

Banned
Until this past week I had never played any of the PoP games. I picked up Forgotten Sands for 10 bucks at Best Buy recently and decided to give it a shot. I am really enjoying the gameplay and the mechanics of this game, so it has me wondering whether or not to give the HD versions of the originals a try. Are they similar in playstyle/mechanics to Forgotten Sands, or totally different? Do you, the fellow CAG member think that since I am really enjoying this one that I would like the previous entries in this franchise, or should I just leave it be after playing this one?

All input is appreciated on this as this is really a franchise I know nothing about.

Forgotten Sands was ok but Sands of Time and Two Thrones are easily the best of the series in the modern era. Prince of Persia (the non-subtitled one) was good; better than Forgotten Sands.

The combat in the trilogy is different, but the platforming is nearly identical. I think all 3 of the trilogy have better atmosphere than Forgotten Sands, and both Sands of Time and Two Thrones have better level design.

You can definitely skip 2008's Prince of Persia, it's nothing like the others.

I'm the odd one out here. I tinkered with the original Pop Trilogy, played PoP (PS3 version), and Forgotten Sands.

I thought Forgotten Sands was the better entry of the bunch.

Never got around to playing Forgotten Sands but I've seen plenty of gameplay footage and the level/puzzle design looks pretty much identical. The combat, however, seems a lot more shallow/hack 'n' slashy and less stylish/methodical than Warrior Within and The Two Thrones -- though I still think you'll feel right at home as you're really not required to make use of the combo system to get through the game.

Sands of Time had an entirely different combat system that I personally found to be extremely frustrating. Whenever you get thrown to the ground you're pretty much boned as enemies will just down you again whenever you try to get up. You also need to perform a finishing move in order to permanently kill an enemy -- which can be extremely hard to pull off with 5 other enemies circling you as you keep targeting the wrong one. To add insult to injury, you're required to beat all enemies to continue on with the game and they keep respawning until you've beaten a set amount during each combat segment.

So I personally can't recommend SOT, but if you're the kind of gamer that can deal with such frustrations you might wanna give it a go anyway. If not, then WW and TTT alone are definitely worth buying the trilogy disc for.

I haven't played the Forgotten Sands but I loved the Sands of Time (9 out of 10) the warrior within was pretty good but it was more combat oriented and I think that POP really was at it's best when it was doing platforming puzzles.
I plan on getting the Trilogy in HD and Forgotten Sands when it reaches

The Trilogy is a disappointment to me. I've played all three games before and liked them, but they messed up the sound in Sands of Time. When you're playing it sounds fine, but during cutscenes you can barely hear what they're saying. Wouldn't be a huge deal if the game had subtitles, but it doesn't.

Not sure if the sequels are the same way. Haven't played them yet.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I will pick up the HD trilogy sometime in the near future since everyone seems to agree its well worth it.

I highly suggest skipping Warrior Within, and just going straight to the Two Thrones after Sands of Time. WW is awful and surprisingly not much story happens in it to where you'll be lost in TT. Only play WW after beating those 2 if you're desperate for trophies.

There's people out there who think WW is good and some even saying it's the best of the series. These people are fools.

I like WW a lot. I don't know if I'd say it's the best of the 3, but it's my favorite.

I enjoyed the story as well. The music was kind of out of place, but that didn't affect the gameplay, which was better than SoT.

Okay, I'm one platinum away from getting the crown of the prince (total of FIVE PoP platinum trophies, I got FOUR, Two Thrones is my last, sadly...)

If you like Forgotten Sands, you'll love all of them :) The best part is that all of the PoP games are very cheap now. The PoP HD collection is $21-$23 shipped from UK (100% compatible in the US).

PoP Sands of Time is the best IMO, difficult? A bit, but you can use rewind if you're in trouble. I beat the game without using rewind (one of the trophies requires you to use rewind less than 20 times).

PoP Warrior Within got the coolest story line IMO, it's quite deep... I played three times (required since difficulty trophies don't stack, easy/normal/hard). There are two unique endings, but one ending is the true one (Two Thrones follows the true ending). This game can be easily the best, but alas, the camera sucks really bad. The combat is awesome. Oh, I didn't beat Dahaka on HARD, that guy still gives me the creeps... The other issue with WW is that, this game got serious time bugs, make sure you save the games on different slots and also get the life upgrades in order. Since the game keeps jump from past/present, some events should have happened, but didn't and vice versa. Because of the timeline thing, the story is very interesting :) The Mask of the Sand Wraith is explained in WW and it's a playable skin in the Forgotten Sands (Best Buy copies of PoP:FS comes with this the cool Sandwraith skin code, a redeemable code inside the game case).

PoP Two Thrones, I haven't play it yet :)

My order of preference:
Prince of Persia (the one with Elika, there's a DLC, the Epilogue, which is very good and much harder too)
PoP Sands of Time
PoP Warrior Within
PoP Two Thrones
PoP Forgotten Sands

[quote name='Buuhan1']I highly suggest skipping Warrior Within, and just going straight to the Two Thrones after Sands of Time. WW is awful and surprisingly not much story happens in it to where you'll be lost in TT. Only play WW after beating those 2 if you're desperate for trophies.

There's people out there who think WW is good and some even saying it's the best of the series. These people are fools.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I don't mind being called a fool :) Warrior Within is a great game (couldn't understand the logic behind the heavy metal music still, lol). The story is awesome. Especially after you get the mask of the wraith, the little links to the present/past all answered, no sloppy work there :) I understand why people hate it though, heavy metal music and bad camera angles. If you played Sands of Time first, you'll realize that the Prince all sudden can jump farther and fall from higher places without dying. It's so weird for me, lol.

But the combat is much much cooler than Sands of Time. Unfortunately, WW is repetitive :whistle2:( (especially after playing three times :lol:).

So I started the third game in the HD collection, Two Thrones. It's the worse of the three. Two cool things in the TT game worth to mention, which differentiate from the other PoP games. First is stealth, figuring out the best way to kill the enemy is not a bad implementation, definitely something fresh. The other is the Dark Prince, brutal combos and hook jumps. For me, the Dark Prince is more of "advance quickly or die" challenge (the Dark Prince's life bar drains if you don't collect sands of time). The rest of the game is pretty bad. The camera angle still sucks (L2 can only be used in certain areas). The graphic is not all that great either (have problem figuring out what to do because a ledge doesn't look like a ledge etc.).

The art direction of TT is very different from SoT and WW. Well, for one thing, the Prince is very skinny and the women got smaller chests (a lot smaller, hardly noticeable). The other thing is, there are a lot more characters in the game than other PoP games (villagers and soldiers). It doesn't feel like you're alone in a massive environment.

Then there's this weird horse chariot race... It's pretty stupid, not only out of place but the control is not very smooth either.

I have not beat the game yet, but trophies-wise, TT is the most difficult to plat.

[quote name='Serpentor']So I started the third game in the HD collection, Two Thrones. It's the worse of the three. Two cool things in the TT game worth to mention, which differentiate from the other PoP games. First is stealth, figuring out the best way to kill the enemy is not a bad implementation, definitely something fresh. The other is the Dark Prince, brutal combos and hook jumps. For me, the Dark Prince is more of "advance quickly or die" challenge (the Dark Prince's life bar drains if you don't collect sands of time). The rest of the game is pretty bad. The camera angle still sucks (L2 can only be used in certain areas). The graphic is not all that great either (have problem figuring out what to do because a ledge doesn't look like a ledge etc.).

The art direction of TT is very different from SoT and WW. Well, for one thing, the Prince is very skinny and the women got smaller chests (a lot smaller, hardly noticeable). The other thing is, there are a lot more characters in the game than other PoP games (villagers and soldiers). It doesn't feel like you're alone in a massive environment.

Then there's this weird horse chariot race... It's pretty stupid, not only out of place but the control is not very smooth either.

I have not beat the game yet, but trophies-wise, TT is the most difficult to plat.[/QUOTE]

Are any of them particularly difficult to plat? Forgotten Sands and PoP were both pretty easy.

Here's my ranking of difficulty for getting the Prince of Persia Crown (all five platinum trophies), from easiest to hardest:

1. PoP: Forgotten Sands (if you miss a collectible, you don't even need to replay the whole game, except if the missed one is the last one, lol).

2. PoP (the one with Elika) The hardest trophy is the all combo I believe, which is pretty easy to do. I plat this without even trying. The Epilogue is much harder, but still pretty easy, I recommend the add-on if you're a PoP fan. It's not the end at all, but a beginning to something more sinister, can't wait for the next installment.

3. PoP: Warrior Within... Due to alternate ending options, Hard mode is pretty easy when you fight the Empress (not recommended on DahaKa on Hard, there's a neat trick you can use, but no point to stress yourself out on Hard). I actually beat the game without dying on Normal... Easy was so stupid, it was the last trophy I need to plat (difficulty trophies don't stack). The Prince gets the girl at the end too, hot hot, don't know why they have to take away the boobies in Two Thrones...

4. PoP: Sand of Time... It's pretty brutal in terms of heights and wall jump (very precise timing, unlike every other PoP games, you got to listen to the popping sound and master the rhythms and the Prince got issues with heights). Collectibles must be collected in one playthrough. The game is fairly long and toward the end, no rewind at all (
you lost the dagger of time
). There's no difficulty trophy, thank goodness for that, if any harder, it will be extremely difficult to beat (you got to keep the damn girl alive and she's a dumb AI, well, at the Prince get to sleep with her, haha). Hardest trophy is use rewind less than 20 times (I didn't use any rewind, but died countless time).

5. PoP: Two Thrones... Unlike rest of the PoP games, the combat system requires precise button pressing sequences (the boss fights), which can be annoying for some (if you mess up, the boss get a little life back and you got to do it again, you know what I mean, I hate this kind of battle sequence). The difficulty trophies are not terrible, but beating this game without dying is HARD! Mainly because there are racing sequences with bad control (you got to memorize the turns by heart so you can beat the race with one or two rewinds). The problem with the Sand Snake trophy (beat the game without dying) is that it's glitched. If you see the retry/quit screen then your save is ruined (unlike Warrior Within). In some cases, if you hear the Prince's dying scream, the trophy is ruined (this glitch is sporadic, but I believe it's real because I noticed that sometimes the Prince got unlimited sand tank and the secondary weapon never breaks, not the ultimate sword I'm talking about). Finally, the Dark Prince sequences, you got to move fast before the life bar diminishes... In order not to die, you can't make any mistakes (maybe one or two if you have life upgrades). The Dark Prince is unlike the Sand Wraith in Warrior Within, the life bar drains very quickly for the Dark Prince and there's no unlimited sand tanks either. The Sand Wraith can restore life when drinking water, the Dark Prince's life can only be restored killing enemies or destroy pots/vases/boxes etc (which is limited by the way).

Stilling working on the last platinum trophy - Two Thrones... I will conquer it and I'll tell this tale again and again, lol.

Loved PoP: The Sands of Time when I played through it, but haven't gotten around to any other entries in the series since for some reason. I have Warrior Within sealed, too, but at this point, I'd rather get the HD trilogy on the cheap. Hmm.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I highly suggest skipping Warrior Within, and just going straight to the Two Thrones after Sands of Time. WW is awful and surprisingly not much story happens in it to where you'll be lost in TT. Only play WW after beating those 2 if you're desperate for trophies.

There's people out there who think WW is good and some even saying it's the best of the series. These people are fools.[/QUOTE]

I say you don't skip Warrior Within - I say you play the games as they were released.

If you're buying the Trilogy, why are you NOT going to play a game you paid for?

Play it! :)

sands of time is one of the best games I have ever played. I beat the entire game AT LEAST 10 times.

Warrior Within and The Two Thrones were also amazing, but Sands of Time started it all and the atmosphere of the game was a bit better than the sequels IMO.

Prince of Persia 2008 is a good game but it's really nothing like the Sands of Time trilogy.

Haven't played forgotten sands (yet!)

If you have a PS3, just play the HD collection, it's under $25 for three games, it's 3D, it got THREE platinum trophies, it's remastered, it's timeless :)

I put so many hours into the three games, it really put all of the other games into shame (even God of War). I agree that Sands of Time is the masterpiece in the HD Collection, it's easily one of the beloved game of all time. As much as I hate Two Thrones, my the least favorite game in the series, I still enjoy it. After I beat all of them, I'll play Sands of Time one more time in 3D! I've tried a bit, but because I've trouble figuring out what to do, I reverted back to 2D. However, base on my first impression of 3D, Sands of Time in 3D got new life, I'll play it again even I platinum it already (a rare feat, I never touch the game again after getting the platinum trophy).

I can see how PoP inspired the Assassin's Creed series, which will be my next conquest. Does anybody know Ubisoft is working on the next Prince of Persia game? Ummm, not the strategy kind of game like the one on the Nintendo DS (WTF is that anyway, it was an abomination of the PoP series). I've not play any of the PoP games for the PSP, anybody recommend them?

A note on the combat of Sands of Time.

Sands of Time is all about counters (using the attack buttons while blocking). Countering with the dagger (Triangle) will permanently kill most normal enemies instantly. Its not so much shallow as simple, which was a design choice. SoT was meant to be a platformer first, and a brawler second. (sort of the polar opposite of God of War)

On a personal note. I found the first game much more charming than the second or third. The protagonist's growth lie not in redemption from sin but rather a shedding of his princely hubris.

I didn't know about the counter moves in SoT, lol. The hardest battle in SoT is the elevator part. It's not hard in terms of killing the enemies, but you got to keep Farrah alive at the same time. The counter moves might not be useful there since most of the enemies are not weak. The wall vault move is the most abused move in SoT, the only move that got me out of tight spots (perhaps a glitch lol). Stabbing the enemies with the dagger to slow them down works well too.

In Warriors Within, you have to apply counter, the first boss, lol. In Two Thrones, you don't fight much, especially after getting the Prince's father's sword.

I agree that SoT is more charming than the rest... The Prince is just being the Prince in SoT:). In Warrior Within, the Prince is full of anger, a totally different person. Heck, even music is heavy metal. Two Thrones tied up the series to the beginning of SoT, which is quite clever (SoT is told after TT, a flash back of the Prince's adventure, a story never happened according to the other characters).

The Zoroastrian Prince (PoP 2008, with Elika) is possibly after Two Thrones (the Prince referred to Farrah as a donkey in his past). So, as to what happened after TT? Why he left Babylon or Farrah? Where did he get that mysterious claw? Will we see Farrah again? What did Elika found at the end of the Epilogue?

The elevator part in SoT was very hard, and guess what? I HAD TO DO IT TWICE! When I reached the next save point in the room with the Sands of Time it just forever was checking for save files. I raged quite hard.

Then it happened again in TT during the final boss fight with the Vizier, after tons of trouble of trying to beat him I finally did, only for the loading screen after the cutscene to freeze. Didn't have any such issue with WW cause I only played for like 4 hours, I could not even force myself to play more of that awful game.

I feel your pain Buuhan1, the HD Collection does have loading issues... I had to quit few times (manually force to turn off the PS3 too). Of course, I lost the progresses, a major pain in the ass. There are times the game just freezes after a number of retries (perhaps the game is trying to me "you suck, stop playing already.")

Overall, Warrior Within is the most glitched game in the series (playability, not trophies). The Elevator fight in SoT is the most annoying battle ever, fortunately the game didn't freeze on me :lol:. Also, all of the Sand Cloud and life upgrades are done before it too, so not a terrible thing either if you're gunning for trophies (I don't think I want to play that part again, not even in 3D :lol:).

[quote name='Serpentor']If you have a PS3, just play the HD collection, it's under $25 for three games, it's 3D, it got THREE platinum trophies, it's remastered, it's timeless :)

I put so many hours into the three games, it really put all of the other games into shame (even God of War). I agree that Sands of Time is the masterpiece in the HD Collection, it's easily one of the beloved game of all time. As much as I hate Two Thrones, my the least favorite game in the series, I still enjoy it. After I beat all of them, I'll play Sands of Time one more time in 3D! I've tried a bit, but because I've trouble figuring out what to do, I reverted back to 2D. However, base on my first impression of 3D, Sands of Time in 3D got new life, I'll play it again even I platinum it already (a rare feat, I never touch the game again after getting the platinum trophy).

I can see how PoP inspired the Assassin's Creed series, which will be my next conquest. Does anybody know Ubisoft is working on the next Prince of Persia game? Ummm, not the strategy kind of game like the one on the Nintendo DS (WTF is that anyway, it was an abomination of the PoP series). I've not play any of the PoP games for the PSP, anybody recommend them?[/QUOTE]
ummm where is it 25 bucks? amazon has it for 40 and CAG doesn't have any prices for it...

[quote name='Ashtaar']ummm where is it 25 bucks? amazon has it for 40 and CAG doesn't have any prices for it...[/QUOTE]

It was posted in the deal forum while back, there were two dedicated threads too. I just searched Zavvi for the PoP HD Collection, looks like it's out of stock now, sorry :whistle2:(

http://www.zavvi.com/games/elysium....ZGVwYXJ0bWVudDpnYW1lcyoh&search=HD+collection

I got it under $25 including currency exchange fee (like a $1 or something). Each game is selling at $14.99 on PSN. In US, the disc is $39.99, there were deals from time to time, but overall, this collection remained at the $30+ level. I was extremely surprised at the $25 USD price from Zavvi (UK), I ordered it without even confirming that 3D works or not, lol (I know the game is playable, but at the time I wasn't sure the 3D part). I can confirm the 3D works if you got the UK version.

The only drawback from ordering the UK version is that you might not sell it/trade it like the US version, but I'm keeping it anyway. There are no DLCs to PoP HD Collection, so you're not gaining anything from buying the US version (I got the UK version a month ahead of the US release too).

Did they do the conversion for you?
Are these prices for new games? The prices seem pretty cheap.....
anyway if you snooze you lose... too bad I love these PoP games

I'm sure it'll be sold for $20 soon being an ubisoft game and all. Amazon recently put the Tomb Raider trilogy up for $20 so they could do the same with PoP tomorrow (all-day VG goldbox event)

Alternatively you could get into a PSN share of it and get it for cheaper

Actually I prefer the games installed on the PS3 than the disc version (maybe loading/saving is faster?). But the main reason being... The disc version, if you select the wrong game, you have to quit the whole thing and start all over. I don't know why they don't bother putting an option that brings you back to the selection menu again.

This is true in every HD collection games so far... GoW collection, if you're in Gow I and want to play GoW II, you have to quit and restart. Sly Cooper Collection, same... PoP collection, same... I have not try TR Collection yet, but I'm guessing it's the same.

Too bad that there's no bundle version of the PoP games on PSN yet.

Finally got the Sand Snake trophy in Two Thrones and got my last PoP Platinum (total of five) Feeling quite empty after beating the games inside out, I want more!

IMO, Sands of Time is the best in the collection, follow by Warrior Within and then Two Thrones.

Sands of Time is the most difficult of the three in terms of platforming and combat. Warrior Within life upgrades are fairly challenging, the artwork collectibles add few more hours to the game. Two Thrones? The traps are easiest and fewest. Life upgrades are a joke (total of six too and super easy compare to the other two). There are no collectibles in Two Thrones, except for Sand Credits, which is accumulative whenever you play the game.

I can see why people like Two Thrones. The dark prince is actually a quite interesting character. I have to say, after mastering the platforming, I find the dark prince parts of the game more interesting than the real prince, it's a lot more fun to play against the diminishing life bar :)

To the fellow Persian adventurers, wish you're swift as the prince and collect all of the trophies; conquer all five games and win the ultimate crown :)

I've been playing the 2 thrones, only one I didn't beat back in the day
IT's a fun game I'm actually stuck
I'm at some boss fight with two guys one has an ax and the other a sword, I have no idea what to do besides run around in circles, the first time I was somehow able to get ax guys ax stuck in the ground and take off some life but since that time nada
So far 2 thrones kind of seems uneven [I got stuck a few times battling sand dogs or sand guardians but other times I breeze through without much difficulty], I don't know how deep I'm into it but there are very few traps and the platforming is pretty straight forward. After I beat all of these I'll probably get Forgotten Sands to get more of my PoP fix unless AC:Revelations is already out

The two guys you fight right after the second chariot race will net you the Double Trouble trophy (story related). If you don't know what to do, the dark prince will tell you :)
The dark prince will tell you to go for the guy with the sword. While you're hitting the sword guy, the ax guy will attack from behind and he'll lodge the ax in the ground. Then you hit the ax guy while watching out the sword guy. It's fairly tough on Hard, but quite easy on Easy/Normal. I think it's the hardest boss fight in the game

The hardest enemy in TT is the sand hounds. Even on Easy, they can be a pain. I avoided them completely (until the ultimate sword)... They're a lot easier if you're controlling the dark prince. partly because those damn dogs can only be killed once they're belly up on the ground. You can't vault over them nor throw them, they feed on your sand tanks too.

Forgotten Sands require a lot more quick reflexes in platforming than every other PoP games. Especially the freezing and unfreezing of water flows, it's definitely a new touch to the series.

I could have sworn I saw this game was supposed to be a timed exclusive for the PS#, releasing at a later date on the 360. Anyone know if that is the case?

[quote name='Axersia']Never got around to playing Forgotten Sands but I've seen plenty of gameplay footage and the level/puzzle design looks pretty much identical. The combat, however, seems a lot more shallow/hack 'n' slashy and less stylish/methodical than Warrior Within and The Two Thrones -- though I still think you'll feel right at home as you're really not required to make use of the combo system to get through the game.

Sands of Time had an entirely different combat system that I personally found to be extremely frustrating. Whenever you get thrown to the ground you're pretty much boned as enemies will just down you again whenever you try to get up. You also need to perform a finishing move in order to permanently kill an enemy -- which can be extremely hard to pull off with 5 other enemies circling you as you keep targeting the wrong one. To add insult to injury, you're required to beat all enemies to continue on with the game and they keep respawning until you've beaten a set amount during each combat segment.

So I personally can't recommend SOT, but if you're the kind of gamer that can deal with such frustrations you might wanna give it a go anyway. If not, then WW and TTT alone are definitely worth buying the trilogy disc for.[/QUOTE]

They are all great games

But I loved SOT. How can anyone think the combat system was hard - it was one button fighting which kept the focus on the atmosphere and platforming. Genius. God save me from the clunky and tedious WW combat system. At least they gave you the option to skip it via stealth gameplay in TT. Having played all of them my ranking is as follows:

POP SOT
POP (cellshaded one)
POP TT
POP FS
POP WW

[quote name='Serpentor']I didn't know about the counter moves in SoT, lol. The hardest battle in SoT is the elevator part. It's not hard in terms of killing the enemies, but you got to keep Farrah alive at the same time. The counter moves might not be useful there since most of the enemies are not weak. The wall vault move is the most abused move in SoT, the only move that got me out of tight spots (perhaps a glitch lol). Stabbing the enemies with the dagger to slow them down works well too.

In Warriors Within, you have to apply counter, the first boss, lol. In Two Thrones, you don't fight much, especially after getting the Prince's father's sword.

I agree that SoT is more charming than the rest... The Prince is just being the Prince in SoT:). In Warrior Within, the Prince is full of anger, a totally different person. Heck, even music is heavy metal. Two Thrones tied up the series to the beginning of SoT, which is quite clever (SoT is told after TT, a flash back of the Prince's adventure, a story never happened according to the other characters).

The Zoroastrian Prince (PoP 2008, with Elika) is possibly after Two Thrones (the Prince referred to Farrah as a donkey in his past). So, as to what happened after TT? Why he left Babylon or Farrah? Where did he get that mysterious claw? Will we see Farrah again? What did Elika found at the end of the Epilogue?[/QUOTE]

I have to say, it's easy to hate on WW because it is the odd child out in the series, even moreso then POP 2008 IMO. It also definately contains some flaws. However I was just watching some gameplay vids and I remember even that game had it's moments. It only had flaws because it was too ambitious, hard to fault a game for that. Also, the timed black-and-white scenes where you were running from the monster were especially cool.

It really is a fantastic series. POP FS is the shortest game in the series and the only one that feels like a rehash, and even that game is completely awesome.

[quote name='camoor']I have to say, it's easy to hate on WW because it is the odd child out in the series, even moreso then POP 2008 IMO. It also definately contains some flaws. However I was just watching some gameplay vids and I remember even that game had it's moments. It only had flaws because it was too ambitious, hard to fault a game for that. Also, the timed black-and-white scenes where you were running from the monster were especially cool.

It really is a fantastic series. POP FS is the shortest game in the series and the only one that feels like a rehash, and even that game is completely awesome.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I rank WW above TT. In WW, you actually go through a number of different swords (similar to SoT I guess). But the thing is, there was one part of the game you got a broken sword! All of sudden any enemy was tough as crap. You can kill them only with stolen secondary weapon or throw them off the ledge, I simply run away :lol: Oh, you don't get the sand if you throw the enemies off the ledge either (in TT you do, the Dark Prince make fun of it too). The only problem with WW is that it's glitch as hell. Of the three playthroughs (easy, normal and hard), my easy run got caught in the time bug (the prince was the sand wraith before bumping into Dahaka for the first time, I guess that makes two sand wraiths and no prince :lol:).

The running away from Dahaka scenes are cool I admit, it's quite a feat on "no dying" trophy too :) Dahaka is the hardest boss of all PoP games.

[quote name='Serpentor']Personally, I rank WW above TT. In WW, you actually go through a number of different swords (similar to SoT I guess). But the thing is, there was one part of the game you got a broken sword! All of sudden any enemy was tough as crap. You can kill them only with stolen secondary weapon or throw them off the ledge, I simply run away :lol: Oh, you don't get the sand if you throw the enemies off the ledge either (in TT you do, the Dark Prince make fun of it too). The only problem with WW is that it's glitch as hell. Of the three playthroughs (easy, normal and hard), my easy run got caught in the time bug (the prince was the sand wraith before bumping into Dahaka for the first time, I guess that makes two sand wraiths and no prince :lol:).

The running away from Dahaka scenes are cool I admit, it's quite a feat on "no dying" trophy too :) Dahaka is the hardest boss of all PoP games.[/QUOTE]

All good points, that's basically what I was referring to as well - the for all it's flaws the gameplay was actually quite good. I must confess that I overvalue tone and WW was too mainstream antihero for me. I was glad they ditched the "dark antihero" tone in the subsequent releases.

I though POP 2008 had some hard bosses, but only because they were so damn cheap. It was majorly annoying when a boss was completely kicking your ass but you couldn't just die and start over. That having been said I actually enjoyed most of that game, and feel that alot of the harsh criticism was not fully deserved.

As to the "dark antihero" in WW, I totally agree with you on that one. Well, even the tutorials in WW start off with combat. You learn how to fight before jumping and running on walls :) The prince is full of anger in WW, he's obsessed with the destruction of Sands of Time, he even killed himself in the process to accomplish it. It certainly established the link to "cursed sands" that spawned the Two Thrones sequel.

PoP 2008 is the most beautiful of the series, I still rank it above Sands of Time. I don't see the "can't die" part of the game as a problem. The combat system is mechanical, but I have no problem adjust to it. As a matter of fact, I prefer the mechanical combat system, it's no different from platforming. The free form combat system gives the players the option of hack and slash, but that's not the essence of Prince of Persia. PoP is about contraptions that test the prince's agility.

bread's done
Back