PSP Remaster Series announced (for Japan, so far)

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I wonder why it took Sony so long to think of bringing the entire GOW franchise to HD. COO & GOS on PS3 for $40 this will be a GH in < 6 months easy.

Plus, there's so many psp games that would do well in HD and the PSP has a huge RPG lineup that could generate millions and millions. Think of all those Monster hunter games $20-$30 ea or $60 for all 4 & the MGS(acid, peace walker). This could be a way to jump start NGP too, the really popular franchises could get revenue that they lost from piracy on PSP from PS3 then give fans what they want through PS3 & NGP implemation.

This could be a E3 annoucement that along with a $100 price cut really carries Sony outta the PSN crater.

Link:http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86136/rumor-god-of-war-portable-collection-coming-to-ps3/

they did this before with a few gta games moved them from psp to ps2. i hope this becomes a regular things theres a few psp games ive wanted to play but would like to have a better camera system.

This would be boss. Chains of Olympus is easily my favorite PSP and I never got around to playing Ghost of Sparta so I'm hoping this is true.

Eh, I am all for PS2 titles being redone in HD and bundled onto a disc for the PS3, but I can't think of any PSP game I would want to get on PS3 that I wouldn't rather just play on my PSP.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Eh, I am all for PS2 titles being redone in HD and bundled onto a disc for the PS3, but I can't think of any PSP game I would want to get on PS3 that I wouldn't rather just play on my PSP.[/QUOTE]

How big is your TV? I agree when your out and about but I'd much rather play on a 42"-65" LCD than on my PSP when I'm home. I got the TV av cable and all that too but using the DS3 is much better since alot of games already have PS3 counter parts. The Tekken PSP games I got haven't even left the cases yet but I would love to see them on PS3. Let's not overlook all those RPG's released in japan that could see NA release too the potential is great if Sony markets this right...more great reasonably priced games added to the PS3 library.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/22/psp_remaster_series/

Yep, it was rumored before, but now it's official, for Japan at least. The first announced title is a Blu-Ray release of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, though the recent rumors indicate that the two God of War PSP games will be bundled for an eventual Blu-Ray release.

Sony Unveils PSP Remaster Series for PS3

Classic PSP titles being revived on PS3 in HD. Monster Hunter leads the way.

Posted on 05.22.2011 at 14:35, by Anoop Gantayat

Sony will be bringing classic PlayStation Portable titles to PlayStation 3 as part of a new PSP Remaster lineup. The company announced the series today along with its first major release.

PSP Remaster offers PSP titles remastered for play on the PS3. The games are spruced up with full HD visuals, compatibility with Dual Shock 3, PS3 exclusive content, 3D support, and other features.

The PSP and PS3 versions of the game also share save data. Sony says that this could allow you to play a game on the PSP while on the go, then continue playing when you return home.

The PS3 versions are also compatible with Sony's Ad Hoc Party for PlayStation Portable service for network play. This free PS3 app normally allows local play PSP titles to use the PS3 as a proxy for true online play.

The series will kick off first in Japan through sales of Blu-ray Disc titles, Sony said. The wording of Sony's statement suggests that the series will also be released internationally and will also see some games offered in download form. The press release did not explicitly mention these areas, though.

For the series' first title, Sony has a biggie. As detailed earlier today, Capcom will release a PS3 version of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd under the name Monster Hunter Portable HD. The 4.5 million selling PSP title will feature 3D support, HD visuals and shared save files with the PSP, and will see release this summer.

For more details on the Monster Hunter conversion, see this story.

MHP3rd HD promo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3W0AKena80

Last edited by a moderator:
I already regretted getting a PSP, now I regret it even more considering basically all the games I bought the thing for are most likely gonna come to the PS3 in HD. I really don't wanna trade it in tho, I only got it this September and I spent $260 after it and games...

Hoping for some RPG remasters. Borrowing PSP for games that can be beaten over the weekend is one thing but not for games that will take like a month or more to beat.

The English press releases says "Starting in japan", so its def going to be a worldwide afair. I expect all the top titles from the psp library to be getting this treatment, which means i can finally play them since using a PSP for enough time hurts my hands. I have to stick to small games like Peggle on it.

The GOW PSP Collection looks incredibly likely.

I wonder how NGP figures into all this? I would have thought an HD upgrade to Monster Hunter is the first thing Sony would want to secure from Capcom for launch.

[quote name='KingBroly']Peace Walker
Birth by Sleep

Give me those and I can sell my PSP.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing

Birth by Sleep

Give me those and I can sell my PSP.[/QUOTE]There are 100+ great PSP games. Most all will never get remastered. ;)

Do they still make new PSP games? It looks like about a dozen or so games are even planned for 2011. I enjoy my Go (when I can, since it can't connect to PSN right now), but it seems Sony is ready to kill the PSP for the PSP2 soon.

GameFaqs shows 4 PSP games coming out this year - 1 next week, and the other 3 are all sports games. That can't be right!

[quote name='GizmoGC']Do they still make new PSP games? It looks like about a dozen or so games are even planned for 2011. I enjoy my Go (when I can, since it can't connect to PSN right now), but it seems Sony is ready to kill the PSP for the PSP2 soon.

GameFaqs shows 4 PSP games coming out this year - 1 next week, and the other 3 are all sports games. That can't be right![/QUOTE]

A few JRPGs are on the way, though they don't have dates yet, one being Persona 2 : Innocent Sin, which never saw a release in the US.

...well it wasn't OFFICIALLY announced, but it is coming.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I already regretted getting a PSP, now I regret it even more considering basically all the games I bought the thing for are most likely gonna come to the PS3 in HD. I really don't wanna trade it in tho, I only got it this September and I spent $260 after it and games...[/QUOTE]Yeah, I just bought mine in March and I'm really regretting it now. :(

Birth by Sleep

Give me those and I can sell my PSP.[/QUOTE]Those and the Persona games would be what makes me get rid of my PSP.

But damn, this sucks. GameStop probably won't give shit for a PSP (considering a Wii's TIV is only $30...), I guess I'm stuck with wasting money.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Do they still make new PSP games? It looks like about a dozen or so games are even planned for 2011. I enjoy my Go (when I can, since it can't connect to PSN right now), but it seems Sony is ready to kill the PSP for the PSP2 soon.

GameFaqs shows 4 PSP games coming out this year - 1 next week, and the other 3 are all sports games. That can't be right![/QUOTE]

The is ClaDun X2 that got a confirmed release, and maybe Persona 2 from Atlus. However there wont be more than a handful of games this year.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
Those and the Persona games would be what makes me get rid of my PSP.[/QUOTE]
I HONESTLY doubt Persona is EVER getting an HD version for PS3. If anything, I just see a few popular PSP games get this treatment so extra money is made, that's all. I really only see 5-10 games in the U.S. getting this treatment. I don't ever see HD versions of NIS games, Falcom games, ATLUS games, most Square Enix games, etc.
[quote name='Buuhan1']I already regretted getting a PSP, now I regret it even more considering basically all the games I bought the thing for are most likely gonna come to the PS3 in HD. I really don't wanna trade it in tho, I only got it this September and I spent $260 after it and games...[/QUOTE]
PSP is the best platform out there. I already own over 114 games for mine and enjoy them all (plus many more I haven't bought). Tons of awesome JP imports, JRPGs, first party games, etc. A good amount of my games are exclusive. I only expect an HD version of like 2-3% of the games I own.
[quote name='62t']The is ClaDun X2 that got a confirmed release, and maybe Persona 2 from Atlus. However there wont be more than a handful of games this year.[/QUOTE]PSP gets more new announcements than any other platform in Japan. Multiple games will get stateside release, but not until they are at least released in Japan. NIS confirmed to be bringing many Image Epoch games stateside (most of which are for PSP). If you are looking for brand new SCEA published games or western third party games you are out of luck, but Japanese support for the PSP is as strong as ever.

I'm guessing no trophy support on the PSP remastered games? Then not interested.

No reason to play the games again except to play them in HD on your Ps3. Even if it was an awesome game like BBS remastered I still wouldn't buy a remastered version again just to play it on my Ps3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
PSP gets more new announcements than any other platform in Japan. Multiple games will get stateside release, but not until they are at least released in Japan. NIS confirmed to be bringing many Image Epoch games stateside (most of which are for PSP). If you are looking for brand new SCEA published games or western third party games you are out of luck, but Japanese support for the PSP is as strong as ever.[/QUOTE]

NISA just had their press event and the only PSP game they announced was ClaDun x2, which is getting a PSN release. They are suppose to be bringing Black Rock Shooter but that game isnt even out in Japan. We havent gotten any Image Epoch portable games since Luminous Arc 2 in 2008, so things are not looking good for Criminal Girls and Tales of the Last Promise. Valkyria Chronicles 3 is another game that has been out for awhile with no news on US release.

PSP is doing great in Japan but it is dead in the US. We might see a few games from Atlus/NISA/Xseed but the other stuff will be Japan only.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I'm guessing no trophy support on the PSP remastered games? Then not interested.

No reason to play the games again except to play them in HD on your Ps3. Even if it was an awesome game like BBS remastered I still wouldn't buy a remastered version again just to play it on my Ps3.[/QUOTE]

The PS2 remaster got trophies.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I already regretted getting a PSP, now I regret it even more considering basically all the games I bought the thing for are most likely gonna come to the PS3 in HD. I really don't wanna trade it in tho, I only got it this September and I spent $260 after it and games...[/QUOTE]

Shouldnt regret it. Psp has dozens of really great games you cant get anywhere else and Im pretty sure none of them will be remade. Nis and atlus released a lot of really great stuff on the system among other publishers.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I'm guessing no trophy support on the PSP remastered games? Then not interested.[/QUOTE]

You wouldnt be interested simply because you couldnt get a trophy? Well thats fine but youll miss out on a lot of great games simply because you dont get a little ding noise and a trophy popup. Well, I guess we cant all be real gamers that play games because we like them and not because we need a virtual proof of achievement.

Did you seriously just pull the "real gamers" card? That is such a stupid thing to say.

Also if I'm going to rebuy something on PS3 that I already own on PSP then hell yeah it better have trophies, gimme more reasons to double-dip.

If you would seriously pass up on a game simply because it doesn't have trophy support you might as well give up gaming altogether. Just hire a Chinese guy to play the games for you. It's a more efficient use of your time and money.

But for what it's worth, trophies have been mandatory since January 2009. The sole exceptions are the PS1 and TurboGrafx games on PSN.

How did you even manage to spend that much? I think I may have spent that much at this point, but thats two years and about 20 games later.

PSP Birth by Sleep bundle - $200
MGS: Portable Ops - $20
MGS: Peace Walker - $35
MediEvil: Ressurection - $7

Portable Ops was a mistake, I don't like the game and have barely played it, and I haven't even touched Peace Walker yet and it's already down to $20.

Why'd you buy Peace Walker when you didn't like Portable Ops? It's pretty much just Portable Ops 2, y'know? Actually, nevermind, I'm in no position to judge as I keep buying FF games as well despite never playing them for more than 20 hours.

[quote name='Axersia']Why'd you buy Peace Walker when you didn't like Portable Ops? It's pretty much just Portable Ops 2, y'know? Actually, nevermind, I'm in no position to judge as I keep buying FF games as well despite never playing them for more than 20 hours.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because I bought them at the same time? Besides, I've heard too many good things about Peace Walker to not give it a go. Sadly I've had other people tell me it's nearly identical to PO in everyway.

If they're on discs, I'm game. If they're download only, I'll wait til they're $5 or something (which is unlikely).

Question #1. Trophies? Since remastered PS2 games have trophies, I don't see why not?

Question #2. Mapping of controls, can we use the 2nd thumb stick (the right stick) on the Dual Shock 3 when playing the remastered PSP games? Resistance Retribution will benefit from it...

[quote name='Buuhan1']Maybe because I bought them at the same time? Besides, I've heard too many good things about Peace Walker to not give it a go. Sadly I've had other people tell me it's nearly identical to PO in everyway.[/QUOTE]

That is not true. Kojima actually worked on Peace Walker. It is not a spin off or side story. Kojima also called Peace Walker "the MGS5 inside me."

This doesn't make your PSP worthless it makes it better...take your PSP on the go, when your home switch to the PS3 & continue.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294648
this is GREAT news

It'd be perfect if they could release a true God of War Collection with games 1-3 and the PSP titles across 2 or 3 Blu-rays.

If this rumor is true, I wonder if the PSP to PS3 games will still include the DLC skin code for God of War 3.

Hopefully these games run natively in 1080p.

Edit: Also I want Peace Walker, Valkryia Chronicles 2 & 3, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, and DJ MAXX on my PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Ebbtide']It'd be perfect if they could release a true God of War Collection with games 1-3 and the PSP titles across 2 or 3 Blu-rays.

If this rumor is true, I wonder if the PSP to PS3 games will still include the DLC skin code for God of War 3.[/QUOTE]

I think we've moved beyond rumors at this point all the stuff is "leaking" on purpose to generate E3 buzz where it'll be confirmed. This is a way to PS "Move" beyond the negative PSN press & get gamers taking about...games. Can't hate their smart even with all the PSN stuff their still outselling X360 most weeks worldwide but with a $100 price, great games, NGP & now PS3 to PSP interaction they could definitely increase their lead in EU & close the gap in US(don't think they catch up w/o 2-3 true systems sellers maybe a bundle or 2)

It makes me wonder if they are just going to start porting PSP games to PS3, then what's the point in buying a PSP? I mean I am happy to see this, but it makes me wonder why have a PSP? It kinda seems Sony is hurting themselves if they just release all the good PSP games for PS3.

Any mention about how costly/difficult this is to do? Hoping it is cheap enough for even Atlus can afford it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It makes me wonder if they are just going to start porting PSP games to PS3, then what's the point in buying a PSP? I mean I am happy to see this, but it makes me wonder why have a PSP? It kinda seems Sony is hurting themselves if they just release all the good PSP games for PS3.[/QUOTE]I'm sure this is to generate new revenue for the titles with the NGP on the horizon and the UMD drive going the way of the do-do bird on the NGP.

I'd be up for this, as I've seen PSP games I'd like, though not enough to jump into buying a PSP. Bring them to the PS3, then I'm interested.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm sure this is to generate new revenue for the titles with the NGP on the horizon and the UMD drive going the way of the do-do bird on the NGP.

I'd be up for this, as I've seen PSP games I'd like, though not enough to jump into buying a PSP. Bring them to the PS3, then I'm interested.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that has got to be the plan as the NGP doesn't seem backwards-compatible. These "PSP Remasters" could be part of an effort to bridge the gap though. Some sort of "universal app" distribution model like you see with iOS apps that are released across devices would be ideal. Buy one of these remastered games once and then play it on your PS3, PSP, and/or eventually NGP.

I'm personally all for it, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of playing games on my PSP.

I got the original GoW PSP when it came out mainly because I wanted to play COO.
my wife played the hell out of it, beating it multiple times and having me help out along the way when it was too difficult for her.
I don't think I ever played COO completely on my own, but I did buy Ghost of Sparta and play that from start to finish earlier this year.

Other than those two games, I can't think of a single PSP game that I have played and beat.

I have put some time into some of them, but I have never played to completion because I just don't like playing on handhelds, Most of my gaming comes at home when I would rather be playing on my TV and what gaming I do do away from the house is usually done on the DS which I enjoy a bit more (but still have not beaten a ton of games on it).

So, bring me the best PSP games and put them on the PS3 and I'll jizz as a ton of new games open up for me.

Thank you, thank you very much!!!!

Oh, also, Day 1 buy for me, hopefully they have some sort of collectors edition and that would make me smile.

I heart Kratos

[quote name='fuze9']I imagine that has got to be the plan as the NGP doesn't seem backwards-compatible. These "PSP Remasters" could be part of an effort to bridge the gap though. Some sort of "universal app" distribution model like you see with iOS apps that are released across devices would be ideal. Buy one of these remastered games once and then play it on your PS3, PSP, and/or eventually NGP.[/QUOTE]That would be nice to be able to play the same title on a PS3 or a NGP, though I doubt Sony would want to remove a doubled source of revenue by dual purchases between the NGP and the PS3.

[quote name='fuze9']I imagine that has got to be the plan as the NGP doesn't seem backwards-compatible. These "PSP Remasters" could be part of an effort to bridge the gap though. Some sort of "universal app" distribution model like you see with iOS apps that are released across devices would be ideal. Buy one of these remastered games once and then play it on your PS3, PSP, and/or eventually NGP.[/QUOTE]
NGP is backwards compatible with all PSN releases on the PSP (digital UMD games, PSN exclusives, PS1 Classics, Minis, Comics, and Videos).

PSP titles I'd like to see/don't have, get the PS3 upgrade:
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Gradius Collection
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
Star Ocean: Second
Me & My Katamari (maybe use PS3 control set-up)
Metal Gear Portable OPs
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Resistance: Retribution
Persona 3 Portable
Edit: I have a feeling that many not-so popular titles that are already on the PSN probably won't get the treatment.

bread's done
Back